Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Why wouldn't you wear a mask of some sort if you are trying to steal anything at all? I would just assume that anything that has some importance to it is being video taped. However, the realist in me thinks that this plan hatched over a case of Natty and all caution was thrown to the wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Declan MacManus posted:

some folks call em cornhuskers but i just call em huskers mmm yep

Thanks for this. I was thinking that when Mike Riley fails miserably it would be hard to find ways to criticize him, but now I realize I can make Sling Blade jokes.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

KKKLIP ART posted:

Why wouldn't you wear a mask of some sort if you are trying to steal anything at all? I would just assume that anything that has some importance to it is being video taped. However, the realist in me thinks that this plan hatched over a case of Natty and all caution was thrown to the wind.

You say that as if the majority of men in South Carolina don't look exactly like that. :colbert:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

You say that as if the majority of men in South Carolina don't look exactly like that. :colbert:

thatsracist.gif

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
why is Elmer Fudd trying to steal that rock

I don't understand

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ND's new coaching hires being announced:

Todd Lyght - DBs
Mike Sanford - Off. Coord./QBs
Autrey Denson - RBs
Keith Gilmore - DL

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Looks like Baylor has no OOC games of note for the foreseeable future:

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/96626/louisiana-tech-series-continues-baylors-non-conference-scheduling-philosophy

quote:

"The way I've looked at it is, you want to get in the final four and win the Big 12 and go unscathed," Briles said last July. "You do that, you go 9-0 in the Big 12, you're going to be in the final four, because you're going to beat probably two top-10 teams, probably two others in the top 20, and maybe another top 25, which is what we faced (in 2013). That's a résumé that's good enough to match any other conference."

Ironically, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said last summer that he told conference members "if you’re sitting on a No. 5 ranking and you had a weak non-conference schedule, you’ll be in real jeopardy of not making the playoffs. They’ve all heard us talk about that."

So no more bitching about not making the playoffs when the school is taking a conscious gamble on whether or not OOC opponents matter to SOS. Hint: they do.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Is that George Rogers?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

Looks like Baylor has no OOC games of note for the foreseeable future:

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/96626/louisiana-tech-series-continues-baylors-non-conference-scheduling-philosophy

So no more bitching about not making the playoffs when the school is taking a conscious gamble on whether or not OOC opponents matter to SOS. Hint: they do.

I'll actually care about this once every conference goes to 9 games. If you play 8 conference games plus one P5 OOC opponent you're still just at 9 P5 opponents, same as every Pac-12, Big 12, and eventually Big 10 school.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Keep beating that dead rear end horse dude

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

LeeMajors posted:

Is that George Rogers?

Nah, George is a larger man than that guy...

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Everyone goes to 14 teams and plays 9 conference games. That's ideal at this point I think.

At the least everyone should play 9 conference games. Big 12 needs to get its poo poo together for a championship game.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Everyone goes to 14 teams and plays 9 conference games. That's ideal at this point I think.

At the least everyone should play 9 conference games. Big 12 needs to get its poo poo together for a championship game.

round robin 4 lyfe.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Who would they add that comes with any advantage other than "we can host a championship game"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I'd love to see nine-game SEC schedules and no FCS games but if we're talking about SoS I don't get why we need to make this distinction of conference games vs. OOC. You want to evaluate a team's schedule? There's only 12 points of data. Just look at them. No need to use the number of conference games or OOC risk-taking as a proxy for data that's right in front of your face.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

John Chavis and LSU have sued each other regarding whether Chavis was obliged to a $400k buyout when he left LSU.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Korranus posted:

John Chavis and LSU have sued each other regarding whether Chavis was obliged to a $400k buyout when he left LSU.

He is also suing A&M.
http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2015/02/john_chavis_suing_lsu_and_texa.html

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
What the hell is going on at LSU? The recruiting violation thing doesn't make any sense to me. LSU spoke to the kid, they agreed that the kid was going to LSU, they extended him financial aid, and the kid changed his mind (as 17 and 18 year olds are wont to do). I don't even understand how this is LSU's fault or what they did wrong. And now Chavis is suing them AND A&M for his buyout? What the hell?

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Morby posted:

What the hell is going on at LSU? The recruiting violation thing doesn't make any sense to me. LSU spoke to the kid, they agreed that the kid was going to LSU, they extended him financial aid, and the kid changed his mind (as 17 and 18 year olds are wont to do). I don't even understand how this is LSU's fault or what they did wrong. And now Chavis is suing them AND A&M for his buyout? What the hell?

Adding A&M to the lawsuit is mainly to get the jurisdiction into a district court as opposed to a federal one. A&M likely advised Chavis to add them to the suit for this reason. A&M will have to pay diddly squat if Chavis wins against LSU otherwise they'll be footing the bill.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Morby posted:

The FAA stuff is just really messed up. Since once a kid signs one the school gets extra contact and visits, some schools were encouraging recruits to sign them willy-nilly even if they weren't serious about the school at that time to get the edge over competitors and maybe reel him in anyway.

The NCAA decided it didn't like schools scamming the system like that, so they changed the rules on it so that if a recruit signed an FAA and the school took advantage of the extra contact but then the kid went elsewhere, they were in violation. That took care of the deliberate scamming, but then screwed schools who were innocent victims of a kid honestly changing his mind or deliberately signing multiple FAAs without telling the other schools.

It's going to take a couple more iterations before they manage to thread the needle and cut out the scamming while leaving room for changing opinions. NLIs suck in a lot of ways, but at least they're simple to deal with.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Ohtsam posted:

Adding A&M to the lawsuit is mainly to get the jurisdiction into a district court as opposed to a federal one. A&M likely advised Chavis to add them to the suit for this reason. A&M will have to pay diddly squat if Chavis wins against LSU otherwise they'll be footing the bill.

Basically this. Its a technicality that favors Chavis and by virtue of that fact, A&M (since they would probably foot the bill for said bail out anyways) wanted it and their own lawyers probably made the recommendation. It would also compel A&M to define his role in whatever way avoids the payback in a legal manner, as opposed to a "character witness" type role.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Deteriorata posted:

The NCAA decided it didn't like schools scamming the system like that, so they changed the rules on it so that if a recruit signed an FAA and the school took advantage of the extra contact but then the kid went elsewhere, they were in violation. That took care of the deliberate scamming, but then screwed schools who were innocent victims of a kid honestly changing his mind or deliberately signing multiple FAAs without telling the other schools.

Houston got busted for a recruiting violation after SMU flipped Ben Hicks, who had signed a FAA at UH. Took SMU about 15 minutes to get someone on the phone to the NCAA. UH hasn't had a major recruiting violation in 30 years so that really sucked.

Makes me wonder if there's a market in getting early and non-public verbals, getting those silent verbals to sign a FAA at a rival, and then basically have all your silent verbals flip "back" to you close to signing day as you run to the telephone to call the NCAA.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 28, 2015

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Korranus posted:

Houston got busted for a recruiting violation after SMU flipped Ben Hicks, who had signed a FAA at UH. Took SMU about 15 minutes to get someone on the phone to the NCAA. UH hasn't had a major recruiting violation in 30 years so that really sucked.

Makes me wonder if there's a market in getting early and non-public verbals, getting those silent verbals to sign a FAA at a rival, and then basically have all your silent verbals flip "back" to you close to signing day as you run to the telephone to call the NCAA.

I'm finding 0 information anywhere that Houston was sanctioned for Ben Hicks. In fact, I've found the opposite, where the NCAA acknowledged in a letter that there was no violation committed retroactively for publicizing and taking advantage of the unlimited contact rules: https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1725534

LSU's violation was handed down by the SEC and has nothing to do with the NCAA.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Here's what I think might have happened with Womack--LSU knew he wasn't 100% solid since he was still taking visits. However, they had him sign a financial aid agreement (despite it being like a year before he would enroll) so that they wouldn't be limited in their time with him. Basically, there's no reason to have him sign one that early except to get around the recruiting rules, so they got busted when he flipped to Bama anyway. All the university has to do to not have this happen is wait for when he's about to use the money to make him sign the agreement.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

I'm not connected at all to the inner workings of Houston athletics outside of this forum, but I didn't hear anything about a violation either.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

I'm finding 0 information anywhere that Houston was sanctioned for Ben Hicks. In fact, I've found the opposite, where the NCAA acknowledged in a letter that there was no violation committed retroactively for publicizing and taking advantage of the unlimited contact rules: https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1725534

Nice.

All the same, an early signing period would be a better all-around solution.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Kenny G got hired on as a GA with Herman at Houston :toot: It's going to be pretty uncomfortable for Houston fans because a bunch of Ohio State fans are also going to be rooting for them.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Morby posted:

From what I can tell, the recruiting violation stemmed from a profoundly stupid rule that was bound to trip one school up eventually and LSU was just the first one it hit. As for the Chavis lawsuit, it sounds like it's based around the exact date Chavis quit and whether or not he has to pay the buyout on his contract, although it looks like there's evidence supporting that he didn't give his 30 day notice early enough for him to get out of the buyout with LSU.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 1, 2015

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
http://www.newsobserver.com/2015/02/28/4589708_former-unc-official-pressure-led.html?rh=1

The former UNC grad school admissions director says they were pressured into accepting unqualified athletes in order to extend their eligibility.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Every time they mention a guy playing as a graduate student, I assume the only reason he got into grad school was because of football.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

State of Iowa supremacy.

B.F. Hoodrich
May 16, 2006
welp

America Needs Farmers b.tch Roll drat Corn

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Sash! posted:

Every time they mention a guy playing as a graduate student, I assume the only reason he got into grad school was because of football.
I'm not about to defend any of this poo poo, but a lot of schools have some MA graduate programs that exist basically to siphon funds from students. They really don't care about the quality of the students. This here is loving egregious, though: at least they usually have minimum standards, like "has a GRE score" and "has a 3.0 undergraduate GPA."

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
Nobody has ever gotten less of a return on more corruption than North Carolina football. They should get probation on general principle for not even winning their division.

Spacemonkey57 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Mar 2, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Father of A&M commitment trademarks #WRTS, a hashtag tweeted plenty by the Aggies that means "We Run This State".

I'm still uncertain, at this point in time, what state they're talking about.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Father of A&M commitment trademarks #WRTS, a hashtag tweeted plenty by the Aggies that means "We Run This State".

I'm still uncertain, at this point in time, what state they're talking about.

Guys, I'd like you all to know that I've trademarked "QTIYD". Anytime you use that abbreviation please send a shiny quarter to:

Thoguh
100 Meadowlark Lane
Anytown, IA

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Who is John Mackovic and why should I care?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Crotch Bat posted:

Who is John Mackovic and why should I care?

el penis should quit spitting hot fire in the adult swim thread and give us some charlie strong takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Guys, I'd like you all to know that I've trademarked "QTIYD". Anytime you use that abbreviation please send a shiny quarter to:

Thoguh
100 Meadowlark Lane
Anytown, IA

Glad that you trademarked that, because it is just QIYD. Good luck cashing in on lovely internet acronyms!

• Locked thread