Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

DeusExMachinima posted:

Reminds me Frank Miller but with a much more benign form of insanity. A guy who did his greatest stuff in the 80's and has been coasting on it for nigh 30 years.

Oh come now, Alan Moore started The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in 1999, he's only been coasting on his accomplishments for about 15 years now.

Gianthogweed posted:

Rorschach was the cool tragic badass, and a favorite of mine and probably a lot of others, but I identified mostly with Nite-Owl. I think I liked the old Nite-Owl the best though. I liked reading the Under the Hood backstory. I was disappointed when I saw the movie and a lot of that stuff was cut out.

I liked Rorschach better when he was in Justice League Unlimited and called The Question. I think the reason Rorschach is such the negative, unpleasant character he is is because Watchmen has a very cynical setting and tone. In the more upbeat, high-flying adventure setting of JL:U you can have a similar character be both comedic (he's a raving conspiracy theorist) and heroic (because he's right and out there saving the world from aglets).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gianthogweed posted:

Rorschach was the cool tragic badass, and a favorite of mine and probably a lot of others, but I identified mostly with Nite-Owl. I think I liked the old Nite-Owl the best though. I liked reading the Under the Hood backstory. I was disappointed when I saw the movie and a lot of that stuff was cut out.

Don't read the prequel books DC made recently. They are terrible and ruin old Nite Owl.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I have a lot of respect for Errant Signal, and he seems like a really intelligent guy, and definitely one of the few true game critics (as opposed to game reviewer). So I don't get how a guy who can see through to the cultural assumptions Civilization makes could also repeatedly insist that Bioshock has nothing to say about Objectivism. I'll spare you all the novella I could write about this, since I'm probably going to do a video of my own at some point, but literally every aspect of Bioshock is designed to communicate the idea than an objectivist society is inherently doomed. From the most superficial level, that Rapture is an objectivist society which has failed, to the most intricate: [UNMARKED, UNIVERSALLY KNOWN SPOILERS FOLLOW]

Apparently, the actual term "ludonarrative dissonance" was coined to describe the disconnect between Bioshock being a screed against selfishness, and its protagonist being supremely selfish in the gameplay. However, the player character, Jack, is fundamentally a product of Rapture. In fact, IIRC, he's the only second-generation Rapturite depicted in the entire game, even the little sisters were girls kidnapped from the surface. Jack in fact is the most supremely selfish person in the entire story, since he, in his self-centredness, destroys the one remaining functional aspect of Rapture's society: the Big Daddy/Little Sister system. Jack is a symbolic stand-in for the city itself: his father is Andrew Ryan, the "father" of Rapture, and he is a product of its science. In the end, Jack brings the final doom to Rapture, the symbol of the city dooming the physical city, because again, the entire point of Bioshock is that objectivism is inherently self-destructive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He also thought that Human Revolution had nothing meaningful to say about transhumanism because it presented multiple themes and arguments rather than coming down hard in support for one side or the other. Or how Star Wars games aren't good unless they're constantly making new game mechanics. Errant Signal is kind of weird like that.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Also I never paid much attention to Star Citizen but goons often refer to that as a scam.
What about the goon who was going to restore the 16mm workprint of "Manos"? That dude dropped off the face of the earth.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

He also thought that Human Revolution had nothing meaningful to say about transhumanism because it presented multiple themes and arguments rather than coming down hard in support for one side or the other.

That's more legit, in that DXHR really isn't sure how to frame the question of transhumanism, and winds up trying to use it as a metaphor for some wildly contradictory things. It's not really about transhumanism at all, it's using transhumanism to invoke up a wide array of contemporary issues, without saying anything about any of them beyond that they are controversies. There are parts where it tries to get deeper into the ideas it presents, but it struggles to discuss transhumanism as anything but a metaphor for contemporary issues, and its understanding of contemporary issues is little more than parroting talking points.

Basically what I'm saying is that DXHR has a very superficial understanding of politics and it tries to address transhumanism through the lens of that understanding, and the result is confused and shallow.

Robert Denby posted:

What about the goon who was going to restore the 16mm workprint of "Manos"? That dude dropped off the face of the earth.

That's actually happening. The Blu-Ray release is probably happening before the end of the year.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is Errant Signal the guy who argued Civilization's message was horrible because of Barbarians or something like that?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Robert Denby posted:

He recently posted an update that Synapse Film sent him a test disc for the Blu Ray release and that it should be out later this year (or early next, depending on how the timing of all the aspects of packaging, distribution, etc. work out).

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Brows Held High talks Boyhood. This review took twelve year to Oh shut the gently caress up.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I think something like that was definitely needed to at least counter act RLM and RLM's Parroting. Not necessarily as a defense but more of a "Hey, let's see where this works and doesn't to someone that isn't there to just put something hoity toity through a shredder".

Jimbot posted:

Is Errant Signal the guy who argued Civilization's message was horrible because of Barbarians or something like that?

He argued something like that but not to that level of severity. It's more "I love this game to bits, I just find odd that a game that's about interactions between the peoples' happens to have this random unbargainable people that come and mess up everyone for no reason."

Kunster fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 28, 2015

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICUARvicYJE

this guy.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

DStecks posted:

I have a lot of respect for Errant Signal, and he seems like a really intelligent guy, and definitely one of the few true game critics (as opposed to game reviewer). So I don't get how a guy who can see through to the cultural assumptions Civilization makes could also repeatedly insist that Bioshock has nothing to say about Objectivism. I'll spare you all the novella I could write about this, since I'm probably going to do a video of my own at some point, but literally every aspect of Bioshock is designed to communicate the idea than an objectivist society is inherently doomed. From the most superficial level, that Rapture is an objectivist society which has failed, to the most intricate: [UNMARKED, UNIVERSALLY KNOWN SPOILERS FOLLOW]

[...]

I think you are kind of confusing the protagonist with the player here. Jack's character wasn't the problem. Errant Signal's point, as I understood it, was that while the game's story is anti-Objectivist, its mechanics force you into the exact behavior it is criticizing.

So, to get the message, the game actively forces you, the player, to ignore its message.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 28, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

e X posted:

You are kind of confusing the protagonist with the player here. Jack's character wasn't the problem. Errant Signal's point, as I understood it, was that while the game's story is anti-Objectivist, its mechanics force into the the exact behavior it is criticizing.

So, to get the message, the game actively forces you, the player, to ignore its message.

You're ignoring the possibility that a game can force a player into a mindset it disagrees with, in order to make a point. Spec Ops: The Line is profoundly anti-violence, but violence is the only way to proceed, and that's the point of the game. Bioshock is a game that directly analyzes the psychological connection between player and PC, and where it can break down (would you kindly), so I'd argue that "player is doing thing game does not like" is an overly simplistic reading.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

On this very subject, the thread PYF Example of Ludonarrative Dissonance can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686060

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

To be frank BioShock tried to pin two outcomes where the sacrifice of being less of a jerk around wasn't that big compared to one of being a full jerk.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

There is a reason I dislike skits and characters in review videos and series. So this is the series the Escapist did not want to pick up from Moviebob.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Kunster posted:

To be frank BioShock tried to pin two outcomes where the sacrifice of being less of a jerk around wasn't that big compared to one of being a full jerk.

Oh, Bioshock's endings are completely indefensible. They really wrote themselves into a corner by setting up Andrew Ryan to not be the final confrontation, and I'm going to assume there was publisher pressure to have the possibility of a happy ending (like how I assume/hope the "rescue your friends" ending of Far Cry 3 was publisher mandated, because the bad end of FC3 is clearly what that whole game was building up to).

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

PassTheRemote posted:

There is a reason I dislike skits and characters in review videos and series. So this is the series the Escapist did not want to pick up from Moviebob.

It started out as a simple opinion (good & bad) show featuring his voice over still images from games/pop culture but then he decided to turn it into a weird dragon ball z x nintendo skit show.

It might not be so bad if there was a hint of irony. Like maybe the show would cut to neighbors calling the police to let them know the fat guy was running around their backyard talking to himself with his video game toys again.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
The newest Baywatching is up! Vanessa Angel is stalked by a serial killer called "The Fisherman."

http://phelous.com/2015/02/28/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-one-that-got-away/

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

poparena posted:

Brows Held High talks Boyhood. This review took twelve year to Oh shut the gently caress up.

Wow, crazy coincidence! I literally just finished a paper for my film class explaining the relationship between Bazin and Slacker.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I generally like Campster/Errant Signal but I feel sometimes he could use an editor or someone to run his opinions by first. Maybe he does have one and I do appreciate his insight but I always get the vibe that he's not really mulled things over sometimes or scrutinized his own thoughts. It's hard to explain.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miss Wallace posted:

The newest Baywatching is up! Vanessa Angel is stalked by a serial killer called "The Fisherman."

http://phelous.com/2015/02/28/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-one-that-got-away/

Every time a new Baywatching is posted, my day gets 100% better.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Miss Wallace posted:

Silly as it sounds, The Fisherman does sound like an appropriate name for a serial killer. What are fishermen, if not serial killer of fish?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

And they all leave fish in frying pans as calling cards to the other fish!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Miss Wallace posted:

Hey Lupa, quick question. The actor that played Bumstock in that Big Foot movie you and Pheilos reviewed. Wasn't that the guy who runs Troma films?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Lloyd Kaufman? No. Here's the guy''s imdb page:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0722413/?ref_=tt_cl_t6

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Todds new review is up for his Patreons and it's on Word Up by Cameo. He's like crazy positive about it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Testekill posted:

Todds new review is up for his Patreons and it's on Word Up by Cameo. He's like crazy positive about it.
How could someone not like that song? It's the very definition of slick. Dunno what was up with the red codpiece though.

There was a good cover of it back in the mid-nineties too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EWKphU0c5Q

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 1, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Compendium posted:

Silly as it sounds, The Fisherman does sound like an appropriate name for a serial killer. What are fishermen, if not serial killer of fish?

Wasn't it the name of the bad guy in I Know What You Did Last Summer?

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

It started out as a simple opinion (good & bad) show featuring his voice over still images from games/pop culture but then he decided to turn it into a weird dragon ball z x nintendo skit show.

It might not be so bad if there was a hint of irony. Like maybe the show would cut to neighbors calling the police to let them know the fat guy was running around their backyard talking to himself with his video game toys again.

So he's an unironic goofball. Big deal. If years on the internet have taught me anything, there are far worse things to be than this,
Also, I think this show stops in one more episode, so no big deal.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

DStecks posted:

Wasn't it the name of the bad guy in I Know What You Did Last Summer?

Ha ha, you know you may be right!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember one of Phelous's earliest videos where he freaks out about A ZOMBIE FISHERMAN!

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

Ha ha, you know you may be right!

Baywatch was truly ahead of it's time!

Speaking of "ahead of our time", are you just going to plow straight through Baywatch and then cover the spinoff, or try and cover it in the middle of doing Baywatch?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Looks like Dan uses the cheat at the end of Zelda 2. Too bad.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Rebochan posted:

Baywatch was truly ahead of it's time!

Speaking of "ahead of our time", are you just going to plow straight through Baywatch and then cover the spinoff, or try and cover it in the middle of doing Baywatch?

I'll go over it alongside regular Baywatch when I get to the seasons it aired with. It's not much, but there is some crossover between the two. Not that continuity has ever been great even on Baywatch by itself.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Clip-On Fedora posted:

So he's an unironic goofball. Big deal. If years on the internet have taught me anything, there are far worse things to be than this,
Also, I think this show stops in one more episode, so no big deal.
I just wish he'd up his video editing game (and get someone to do characters who don't fit his body type). I'm not expecting perfect but at least garbage matt (Or some other method, I'm only doing what I know) erase the freaking huge artifacts from the chroma keying.

I hope for the best with his other idea (Really That Good) but I know without an editor there to put him back in his place when he goes off on a tangent I'm not expecting anything fantastic and, frankly, if he keeps his patreon going, nevermind reach his wage goal of 4k I'll be surprised.

For a person who espoused the virtue of growing up over growing old, he's turning into a right old codfish.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

Miss Wallace posted:

I'll go over it alongside regular Baywatch when I get to the seasons it aired with. It's not much, but there is some crossover between the two. Not that continuity has ever been great even on Baywatch by itself.

What, Baywatch having continuity problems? Pshaw. Anyway, I think it's great that Baywatch gave Lifeguard Day Before Retirement another chance after he became living impaired.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Pretty sure he's gone after season 2, he doesn't really do much of significance. I think maybe there's an episode about how he's old, which is his only contribution.

There's one season, I forget which, where the airing order is way out of sync and one couple is randomly together or not together at any point in time. If I could look up the production order I'd be curious to know how it was supposed to air, but outside of who's dating there's no real "arcs" to indicate the real order.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Which Red Letter Media has the best tumtum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

Which Red Letter Media has the best tumtum

Rich Evans. It's always Rich Evans.

• Locked thread