Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fuzz posted:

That'd make more sense with Kiliks.

Ahh, good point. I've got a Chiss PC in the group I DM for too, which should make things a little tense.

e: Nevermind, that whole Swarm War thing happened in 29ABY apparently. Still I like the Killik idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I love that idea and I think I might try to adapt it for my group, if you don't mind. I think my players will love it since they skew towards the wacky end of the spectrum. We've got a Verpine Big Game Hunter played by an entomologist so she'll probably be all over it (if she doesn't just decide to add them to her "collection").

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

I love that idea and I think I might try to adapt it for my group, if you don't mind.

Please do! I've incorporated a few ideas I've seen ITT into my own games. It's like a big GMing hivemind.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I find myself in need of a stat block for a Sith Lord. Also, how do you make a 1v6 fight interesting?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Everblight posted:

I find myself in need of a stat block for a Sith Lord. Also, how do you make a 1v6 fight interesting?

Misdirect to cause the party to see multiple Sith Lords when only one of them is the real one.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Everblight posted:

The Sith Lord is actually six Jawas in a big robe.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Two stolen ideas:

-Theres the Kreia fight in KoToR 2, that involved her starting off meditating while free floating lightsabers engaged the party members, before stepping up and actually confronting them. Like the idea above, where there are multiple, but illusory/ephemeral/sith ghost combatants.

-Similar to the deal with Darth Sion (also KoToR 2), its possible that he simply cannot be killed. He must be engaged/defended against, but the way to defeat him is through debate and reasoning, or engineering some alternative (environmental?) means to trap or otherwise disable him. Some party members can engage him in defense while others work through the social or environmental challenges to "solve" the encounter

Edit:

quote:

The Sith Lord is actually six Jawas in a big robe.

This is better, use this

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So we just did an entire show on our podcast about Edge of the Empire, and I wrote some stuff about cool props I made for my home game. Check it out!

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Thought about asking in the OOC thread for the game I'm in but others might find this info useful, too.

As far as PbP and using Orokos for this game, how do folks as players generally handle the following:

• Determining difficulty for non-combat checks on-the-fly?
  • Determining how many setback dice to add?
  • Opposed checks?
  • Adding automatic successes/advantages/threats that don't come from dice? (Not sure if you can even do this with Orokos)

The obvious answer is, "the GM will determine it," but I've noticed people in some games throwing in difficulty dice for non-combat stuff. I'm entirely new as a player in EotE and still pretty green as a GM (especially in PbP format), so I'm trying to find my sea legs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Thought about asking in the OOC thread for the game I'm in but others might find this info useful, too.

As far as PbP and using Orokos for this game, how do folks as players generally handle the following:

• Determining difficulty for non-combat checks on-the-fly?
  • Determining how many setback dice to add?
  • Opposed checks?
  • Adding automatic successes/advantages/threats that don't come from dice? (Not sure if you can even do this with Orokos)

The obvious answer is, "the GM will determine it," but I've noticed people in some games throwing in difficulty dice for non-combat stuff. I'm entirely new as a player in EotE and still pretty green as a GM (especially in PbP format), so I'm trying to find my sea legs.

For my game, I have no problem with people rolling without difficulty prompts, although I might modify their roll in my own post by adding in setback dice or extra difficulty after the fct, or even upgrading the LAST dice (regardless of what it was) to a Challenge dice. So even if you rolled a 3D check and the first two dice were blank and the last one was 2 failures, and I want to upgrade it, I'd still reroll that 2 failure dice and if that challenge dice came up blank as well, we'd stick with that result (i.e. no net failures at all) as the final.

For the most part, I'll probably just offer pointers if I think people are over/under gauging the difficulty, but for really complex maneuvers and such, it's usually a good idea to ask the DM first, otherwise you can usually just play it by ear for 2D vs 3D type rolls.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Cool, thanks. I'm still struggling a bit with setting appropriate difficulties for things as a newbie GM for my friends, so I really didn't want to step on toes or screw up dice rolls in someone else's game. I also didn't want to bog things down if I could make a general call myself.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'm currently playing in a campaign that just had a crazy twist pulled off by myself in cooperation with the GM.

My character (a Duros Ace) had a brother who assumed his identity during a session where his "Betrayal" Obligation was rolled and after some "accidents" was eventually uncovered a couple of sessions later by the undercover Alliance Counter-Intelligence operative who was posing as.... his astromech droid.

So now I'm playing an Astromech Spy/Slicer whose duty is Counter-Intelligence.

Altogether it was :krad:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Pro-tip: Never let a character and their evil twin be separated from the rest of the party.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

FishFood posted:

That would be great. I really like the design of the Ghost, even the Kenner toy butt-shuttle. I'm guessing it would be a slower, beefier YT-1300 statwise. Order 66 (and I'm pretty sure our own goon CroatianAlzheimers?) statted it out on an episode, but I think that was before the show came out and they underestimated its size.

I know this is from forever ago, but yeah, that was me. At that point I'd seen the pilot of Rebels and was looking at pictures of the ship as I talked about it with the O66 guys. I still think Ghost is smaller than a YT-1300.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'd kill for a good set of orthographic references of the Ghost/VCX-100 and a semi-detailed interior floorplan.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The Ghost looks big in wide shots with its fat midships but all the interior shots imply that it's really cramped and the crew area of the ship exists in a single 30ft "corridor" along the middle. The cabins also look like sterile prison cells and completely un-lived in but that's more an issue of animating budget than anything else, I would imagine.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, its funny. The ship's interior spaces are just a couple rectangular decks stacked on eacother, with the docking ramps basically forming a cross or X shape. The "diamond" shape visible on the exterior seems pretty thin and I guess is just starship machinery (life support, fuel tanks, etc). One thing that amuses me is how for a "Light Freighter" the Ghost doesn't seem to have a lot of cargo space in that bay on the bottom deck, then again it also has shown the capability of picking up large cargo containers, so maybe that is how its supposed to move a good portion of its intended cargo capability.

I'm curious as to if the Phantom shuttle is a default part of the VCX-100 design, if its launch rack/dock is supposed to be some kind of modular component system (maybe another cargo container is meant to go there?), or its a completely custom made job.

I do love the "WW2 Bomber" style front turret/cockpit glass bubble combination though. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 2, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I feel like Ghost and the rest of the ships in her class are more for short-haul runs moving limited amounts of stuff. Sorta like a 24' box truck to the YT-series' tractor-trailer. As for the little shuttle, that feels like an aftermarket part. I can't see CEC designing that from the factory.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I dunno, a little transit shuttle for getting around might be kind of useful. But I doubt the guns were stock even if the Phantom itself was.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oh yeah, all those weapons have to be aftermarket.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
The dorsal turret is probably stock. I mean, space mini-vans and space U-Hauls all seem to come with guns as standard practice in Star Wars.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I bet the chin turret is stock too. Or maybe the bubble turret is "definitely not designed for aftermarket weapon additions, no sir, we follow all Imperial regulations."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

We at the Corellian Engineering Corporation felt that the front bubble offered our customers an excellent field of view for them to track hostile targets admire the stars. A fine example of the worksmanship you'll find in our CEC Light Freighters, alongside other qualities such as military armor "double hull plating" and large interior spaces for installing heavier gear ease of maintenance.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

We at the Corellian Engineering Corporation felt that the front bubble offered our customers an excellent field of view for them to track hostile targets admire the stars. A fine example of the worksmanship you'll find in our CEC Light Freighters, alongside other qualities such as military armor "double hull plating" and large interior spaces for installing heavier gear ease of maintenance.

Oh, I see you've worked in marketing at CEC.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So I'm a big fan of the system and I love the custom dice system but I have a hard time explaining to some of my friends who live Pathfinder why this is Superior to the old d20 systems. Mostly because at beat it feels more life a Star Wars movie than what the Wizard books were. I missed out on the West End Games d6 version of it.

Unrelated but part of me hopes they do a splatbook for some of the other eras.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Pathfinder is a bad game that's boring as heck and the binary pass/fail mechanic is the dumbest poo poo in the world.

That should sell them

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

KomradeX posted:

So I'm a big fan of the system and I love the custom dice system but I have a hard time explaining to some of my friends who live Pathfinder why this is Superior to the old d20 systems.
The explanation is simple: Some people do not like collaborative storytelling and prefer the interlocking puzzle of D&D character-building and adversarial GMing. If "non-binary resolution" is too complex a term, try "you can succeed and gently caress up, or fail and still help" as a selling point.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
When my group was building their characters I was just walking them all through the steps in the book. "Step 1, describe your character concept." "drat you FFG and your emphasis on creative storytelling over mechanics!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One thing that amuses me is how for a "Light Freighter" the Ghost doesn't seem to have a lot of cargo space in that bay on the bottom deck, then again it also has shown the capability of picking up large cargo containers, so maybe that is how its supposed to move a good portion of its intended cargo capability.

This is a really common problem in Star Wars actually, I've been looking up floor plans of ships for an EotE game I want to run in the future, and it's crazy how many "light freighters" devote like 1/5 of their interior volume, at best, to cargo space.

Endman
May 18, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

When my group was building their characters I was just walking them all through the steps in the book. "Step 1, describe your character concept." "drat you FFG and your emphasis on creative storytelling over mechanics!"

It's the most beautiful thing seeing a group of hardcore D&D players slowly transform into creative storytellers over the course of a few sessions. Just give it time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Endman posted:

It's the most beautiful thing seeing a group of hardcore D&D players slowly transform into creative storytellers over the course of a few sessions. Just give it time.

I feel bad for one of my players...he started running a D&D game because he enjoyed being a player and wanted to try a hand at DMing. There's a lot of player overlap between the two groups, and we keep trying to be way more freeform and off-the-cuff than D&D's rules allow. He does a good job rolling with it, but every so often I can tell he's a bit frustrated with our lateral thinking.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

D&D is roleplaying cancer.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fuzz posted:

D&D is roleplaying cancer.

I dunno...there's something to be said for a more structured/regimented experience. I think 5e does a decent enough job balancing freeform roleplay with hard rules.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I really like 5th Edition D&D, but at its core it's still a miniature-based combat game through and through. Less so than 3rd Edition, but you know that when you play D&D, you're most likely going to end up fighting increasingly difficult monsters as you traipse around a maze of some sort. While I wouldn't call it roleplaying cancer, it lends itself to a particularly restricted form of character development.

I've had way more fun playing FFG's Star Wars RPG, but that's just the sort of person I am.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endman posted:

I really like 5th Edition D&D, but at its core it's still a miniature-based combat game through and through. Less so than 3rd Edition, but you know that when you play D&D, you're most likely going to end up fighting increasingly difficult monsters as you traipse around a maze of some sort. While I wouldn't call it roleplaying cancer, it lends itself to a particularly restricted form of character development.

I've had way more fun playing FFG's Star Wars RPG, but that's just the sort of person I am.

I'm just glad to be a player again. I've been GMing star wars for so long now, and outside of forum games, I've not been a player since my college GM moved away.

Endman
May 18, 2010

jivjov posted:

I'm just glad to be a player again. I've been GMing star wars for so long now, and outside of forum games, I've not been a player since my college GM moved away.

I hear that. I'm almost always the GM, but luckily one of my players took up the mantle. I still end up providing a lot of advice, but at least I get to play.

It's nice to be able to concentrate on the development of one character rather than a whole galaxy for a change, but I still GM whenever I can. It's buckets of fun either way.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
I'm about to transition my second group of D&D players to Star Wars. This group has played a variety of games and are amenable to the new dice system even if they don't quite get it yet. My first group were (are, it's still in rotation) 3.5 die-hards and early there would be sessions where they would be having a great time, then suddenly act like I was their Stepdad, trying to win them over with cool toys and they'd begrudge the system for no reason. They came around though, because they got to do awesome Star Wars stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Endman posted:

I hear that. I'm almost always the GM, but luckily one of my players took up the mantle. I still end up providing a lot of advice, but at least I get to play.

It's nice to be able to concentrate on the development of one character rather than a whole galaxy for a change, but I still GM whenever I can. It's buckets of fun either way.

I had a long-running character back in college that I actually really miss, he was my...friend? for 3 years and not getting to play as him any more blows...but being able to create hordes of wacky NPCs is almost as good.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Once a fellow player saved my character's life by tearing a hydraulic tube out of himself (he was a droid) and giving it to my 1 Brawn character who, as it turns out, really couldn't swim. That sort of thing alone should show you how awesome and flexible this rule system is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

Endman posted:

Once a fellow player saved my character's life by tearing a hydraulic tube out of himself (he was a droid) and giving it to my 1 Brawn character who, as it turns out, really couldn't swim. That sort of thing alone should show you how awesome and flexible this rule system is.

Wait how did the tube help?