Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
While I'm in a ratchet buying mood - what's a good one for driving 1/4" hex bits? Ideally I'm after a small swing angle and a flex-head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

tumblr.txt posted:

While I'm in a ratchet buying mood - what's a good one for driving 1/4" hex bits? Ideally I'm after a small swing angle and a flex-head.
I love my TF72.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
That does look like a bloody nice ratchet - but my budget is more Gearwrench than Snap-on!

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

In my experience it's not worth spending a bunch of coin on 1/4" stuff. I mean the Snappy one is nice (Mac one is garbage btw) but it's only worth it if you find yourself using it in situations where you should be using 1/2" drive (since that was the failure point on my Craftsman 1/4"- the seized bumper nuts on my '85 Buick. It broke 3 of the 8 studs and didn't fail until the second-last one :unsmigghh:)
Whatever one you end up going with, consider a Mac M6SA. It's a driver handle that also has a female 1/4" drive on the back, so you can use it as an extension or fold a short flex ratchet around it for better ergonomics and torque.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot
It's not so much because I want something super-strong, but on occasion I have to remove fasteners in tight spaces. So I was aiming for something with low-profile and fine teeth.

There are some cheap and cheerful no-name ratchets on eBay I might grab instead. Thanks for the advice tho!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
You should check out the newish Harbor Freight flex head 1/4 drive. It's gearwrench quality.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

tumblr.txt posted:

It's not so much because I want something super-strong, but on occasion I have to remove fasteners in tight spaces. So I was aiming for something with low-profile and fine teeth.

There are some cheap and cheerful no-name ratchets on eBay I might grab instead. Thanks for the advice tho!

I have this, except I got one without the bit / accessory kit. Works really well for close quarters, as long as you don't need to apply a ton of torque.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
I've a mac MR4C the tiny 1/4" ratchet and it's fantastic for getting into tight spots, I use it mainly on the plane but it's been extremely handy on vehicles too.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

tumblr.txt posted:

Do you need a stubby handle too? Snap-on doesn't even really seem to have a 1/4 stubby flex-head. You can get them in 3/8 though. If you want a longer handle, Armstrong (which is the same as Matco) has a made-in-USA 88-tooth for around $50. Looks like older versions of it were 60-tooth, so you'll have to make sure you get a newer production model.

Edit:
There's also the Carlyle 100 tooth ratchet that Napa carries for $56. That seems like a pretty bitcin' deal if you need swivel/pivot head and 1/4" drive and many teeth. Taiwan, sadly.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 26, 2015

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Do you need a stubby handle too? Snap-on doesn't even really seem to have a 1/4 stubby flex-head. You can get them in 3/8 though. If you want a longer handle, Armstrong (which is the same as Matco) has a made-in-USA 88-tooth for around $50. Looks like older versions of it were 60-tooth, so you'll have to make sure you get a newer production model.

Edit:
There's also the Carlyle 100 tooth ratchet that Napa carries for $56. That seems like a pretty bitcin' deal if you need swivel/pivot head and 1/4" drive and many teeth. Taiwan, sadly.

I can't vouch for Armstrong's smaller stuff, but I have one of their big 1/2" ratchets (can't remember the model number) and it's a tank. It's my go-to "gently caress this fastener" ratchet.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
In the Armstrong chat I can vouch for there older sockets. My grandfather gave me a couple tool boxes and it had tons of metric Armstrong sockets. They are defenitley nice. Also for the tiny 1/4" ratchet I would recommend the Harbor freight ones. I have the 3/8" flexible super long red and black handle and the one that has a 360 head and is green and black. Both have taken tons of abuse. And both can be exchanged for new when obliterate them pulling exhaust studs.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Raluek posted:

Armstrong (which is the same as Matco)
This is no longer the case. That said anything new Armstrong I haven't managed to break yet not that that says much.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Sadi posted:

This is no longer the case. That said anything new Armstrong I haven't managed to break yet not that that says much.

That's too bad. I based that on the GarageJournal thread on industrial equivalent brands to the big tool truck names (e.g. Williams -> SO); I guess it's not up to date. But they're still USA made, and seem to be high quality from what people on GJ have said.

kdabr
Feb 17, 2011
Have you guys ever seen something like Hazet Assistent trolley that isn't so unreasonably priced? Most important features are probably the good working height, the multiple shelves, the rollability, and the locking...not to mention the fact that unlike an HF style tool cart, these are very portable.

These things are so cool. I would definitely own one if they weren't so...Snap-on priced.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Woah, that's pretty awesome.

(clicked on link, almost fell out of my chair)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Jeez louise. At that price, you could afford to build something really similar.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

kdabr posted:

Have you guys ever seen something like Hazet Assistent trolley that isn't so unreasonably priced? Most important features are probably the good working height, the multiple shelves, the rollability, and the locking...not to mention the fact that unlike an HF style tool cart, these are very portable.

These things are so cool. I would definitely own one if they weren't so...Snap-on priced.

That is pretty bad-rear end, but gently caress that price.

I looked through Amazon's "Customers also viewed" thumbs to see if there were any knock-off products. On page 4 of 6, this was nestled among the other tools and toolboxes

NSFW http://www.amazon.com/Vedary-Lingerie-Bodystocking-Bodysuit-Costume/dp/B00NIOALAY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_38?ie=UTF8&refRID=0V0N7ECP95ETEVC6RTJ9 -- might be NSFW (Amazon lingerie listing)

:coffeepal:

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Feb 27, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You might wanna maybe nsfw that link.

kdabr
Feb 17, 2011
On an unrelated note, how do you figure out when Zoro is going to have a sale? I'm looking to snag a new welder (Either a Hobart Handler 140 or a 210, since I need a 110V option) and one of those 30% sales would really help...

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
No one knows, Zoro used to give Ryan at GarageJournal a heads-up a few days early, but that seems to have stopped. Basically, sign up for their emails, and wait... that's what I do.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

kdabr posted:

An acquaintance of mine has one, it's pretty nice, but not sure if it's 1600 bucks nice. Hazet is pretty much Germany's Snap-On, though, it's very, very nice, and priced accordingly. I have a magnetic tray from them (my only Hazet piece) and it's so thoroughly engineered and a joy to use.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Jesus gently caress, for that price it had better come with a "no questions asked lifetime replacement" warranty.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

sharkytm posted:

No one knows, Zoro used to give Ryan at GarageJournal a heads-up a few days early, but that seems to have stopped. Basically, sign up for their emails, and wait... that's what I do.

Someone posted a link to their January specials and another member figured out changing the last four characters showed the next months and so on. I think the thread was deleted, but someone made a Calendar with all the deals. I think I saved it at home, I'll check when I'm off.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

bolind posted:

An acquaintance of mine has one, it's pretty nice, but not sure if it's 1600 bucks nice. Hazet is pretty much Germany's Snap-On, though, it's very, very nice, and priced accordingly. I have a magnetic tray from them (my only Hazet piece) and it's so thoroughly engineered and a joy to use.

If I recall correctly, Hazet is the supplier for most of the VW Special Tools (ie the ones you typically only see on a dealership's tool boards). So I guess don't buy anything electronic from Hazet? v:v:v

schwim
Mar 24, 2004
Pfizer test subject

Splizwarf posted:

If I recall correctly, Hazet is the supplier for most of the VW Special Tools (ie the ones you typically only see on a dealership's tool boards)

Also the toolkits that sat in the center of the spare tire on old VW's. I've spent hours scouring classifieds and eBay to build the kits from odds and ends because the cost of a complete kit can sometimes rival the price of a car. I've seen just the empty case go for upwards of $1,000 on thesamba's classifieds.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I think I could just rock a little red wagon and a cheap harbor freight tool chest to achieve the same basic use of that thing?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
FWIW - Menard's has foldable LED lights that run off 2 double A batteries for 18 bucks with a 10 mail in rebate. It's well worth the money as there is a hook and its pretty bright.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Is there a decent place to go for renting specialty tools? I'm thinking I might need to get my hands on a valve spring compressor (KD 3087/Sealey VS168) soon, but I don't really see needing it more than once during the next several years, so owning it would be kind of pointless aside from treating it like a ~$60 trophy

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Most part stores rent them. Check around as well.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Sentient Data posted:

Is there a decent place to go for renting specialty tools? I'm thinking I might need to get my hands on a valve spring compressor (KD 3087/Sealey VS168) soon, but I don't really see needing it more than once during the next several years, so owning it would be kind of pointless aside from treating it like a ~$60 trophy

If you're in Canada, then Canadian Tire has a tool "lending" program. Basically you buy the tool (at an inflated price), use it, and then return it for a full refund. I borrowed a decent valve spring compressor this way.

I swear to god this is a legit thing and I didn't just repackage a tool I bought off the shelf. Maybe ask around and see if any stores offer this kind of thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

EKDS5k posted:

If you're in Canada, then Canadian Tire has a tool "lending" program. Basically you buy the tool (at an inflated price), use it, and then return it for a full refund. I borrowed a decent valve spring compressor this way.

I swear to god this is a legit thing and I didn't just repackage a tool I bought off the shelf. Maybe ask around and see if any stores offer this kind of thing.

Autozone and Oreilly both do this.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Raluek posted:

Autozone and Oreilly both do this.

As do Advance and Pep Boys. Not necessarily good tools, but most will get the job done.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Id take advance over o'reillys. Oreillys only rents them for 48 hours before you have to buy the tool. I think advance gives you a month.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Sadi posted:

Id take advance over o'reillys. Oreillys only rents them for 48 hours before you have to buy the tool. I think advance gives you a month.

Advance gives you a month before they order a new tool into the store, you can still return it after a practically limitless amount of time and they'll just have an extra.

The last time I was in an O'Reilly's they made me record the amounts and viscosities of the used oil I was giving them to recycle so I've never bothered to go back.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Feb 28, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I needed a tool today at work, I'll need it again for certain so I thought I'd ask here. I basically needed either molegrips or a clamping adjustable spanner but with soft jaws to securely grip a smooth shaft :quagmire: without marring it. I realised I need these quite often for 6-30mm shafts as a lot of pneumatic components have smooth ground shafts with threaded ends and they don't always have flats for a spanner.

Any suggestions? It's not my money either :homebrew:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am not an O'Reillys fan. They seem to have an even more aggressive loss-leading style of pricing than the other auto parts convenience stores, and little bullshit is always WAY too expensive.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Cakefool posted:

I needed a tool today at work, I'll need it again for certain so I thought I'd ask here. I basically needed either molegrips or a clamping adjustable spanner but with soft jaws to securely grip a smooth shaft :quagmire: without marring it. I realised I need these quite often for 6-30mm shafts as a lot of pneumatic components have smooth ground shafts with threaded ends and they don't always have flats for a spanner.

Any suggestions? It's not my money either :homebrew:

Like this?: http://toolguyd.com/kobalt-magnum-grip-pliers/

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...tText=&_sacat=0

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

Sadi posted:

I've kept specialty tools from O'Reilly's for the better part of a week, and they've never hassled me about the return. That is what it says on the receipt, so maybe it's up to the discretion of the store? I tend to avoid the little things, and mostly just buy parts that I don't have time to order from Rockauto. That, and they're the only place close by that still resurfaces rotors and drums.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Glx-X-JcIRc

http://imgur.com/n4s37kM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

I've got a pair of facom pliers which look quite similar to those which are really handy with a good grip strength, I'm not sure if they do a soft jaw version , but if they do that'd be what I'd reccomend.