Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!

D.N. Nation posted:

"I'm clueless on the issue and Comcast rules! Go Comcast!" - Lisa Benson, intellectual

Umm, but Obama supports net neutrality, and Obama is bad :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Talking about how you can't stand talking about the color of that dress is still talking about the color of that dress. This is the best "don't think of elephants" thing I think I have ever seen on the internet.
It's actually a joke here, the guy on the right is the head of UKIP, which... well, I'll just share their latest headline I guess.

a former UKIP councillor posted:

The only people I do have problems with are negroes. And I don’t know why.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/23/former-ukip-councillor-expelled-over-racism-row-claims-hidden-agenda

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Rodatose posted:

(Why Marty Two Bulls might oppose weed being permitted on tribal lands)

Thank you for this. It was interesting to know.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It's actually a joke here, the guy on the right is the head of UKIP, which... well, I'll just share their latest headline I guess.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/23/former-ukip-councillor-expelled-over-racism-row-claims-hidden-agenda
Well, at least she's honest with herself that it's irrational.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Just in case you think Muir's fetish for shirtless tattooed Ted Cruz is unique.

I mean, christamighty, they talk about how Democrats worship Obama as "The One," but I don't see anyone running around 'shopping Obama's head onto Wesley Snipes's body.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Rincewinds posted:

Look at the background.

Ooh, good catch.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

Ooh, good catch.

Was everyone's :unsmigghh: literally because they didn't see the background? :psyduck:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

El Scotch posted:

Was everyone's :unsmigghh: literally because they didn't see the background?

I'm pretty certain is was the fact that he did a dress cartoon.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Selachian posted:

Just in case you think Muir's fetish for shirtless tattooed Ted Cruz is unique.

I mean, christamighty, they talk about how Democrats worship Obama as "The One," but I don't see anyone running around 'shopping Obama's head onto Wesley Snipes's body.

You're right, but it surely doesn't hurt that Obama is a genuinely good lookin' guy, and Cruz resembles a particularly hateful lump of play-doh.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

You see, the internet is a series of queues...

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The Net Neutrality thing is peak Obama Derangement Syndrome. This is keeping the status quo! You can't get more conservative than that!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't even envision what the GOP will be like when there is a Republican president again. Their identity has completely shifted over to being the party that opposes the president, so what will they do without that?

Cpt.Americant
Mar 30, 2010

This might be the dumbest net neutrality analogy yet, and that's saying something! What exactly does Mike Lester think the internet is going to become now?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't even envision what the GOP will be like when there is a Republican president again. Their identity has completely shifted over to being the party that opposes the president, so what will they do without that?

Slavish adulation of the president and festering hatred of anyone who criticizes him. See also: January 2001-January 2009.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know this, Bush wasn't that long ago. Anyone caught not respecting the office of the president will be put against the wall as un-American traitors.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This analogy makes so little sense I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one that's crazy, so nice job Lester I guess

What right-wing blog mangled this issue so badly that this is his interpretation? I'm genuinely curious what kind of spin he managed to see to produce this cartoon in his mind

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Cpt.Americant posted:

This might be the dumbest net neutrality analogy yet, and that's saying something! What exactly does Mike Lester think the internet is going to become now?

I can only guess that he believes only one person at a time will be able to get on the internet and everything will be displayed in 600X800 resolution.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

TheMaskedChemist posted:

You know this, Bush wasn't that long ago. Anyone caught not respecting the office of the president will be put against the wall as un-American traitors.

If anything, the sudden about-face without a shred of self-awareness is the one thing we can absolutely count on.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TheMaskedChemist posted:

What I mean is, the GOP seems to have changed and focused since then on this one thing, undoing anything the president tries to do. What will the tea party do, especially? Will they be rudderless?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Do American soldiers really defend American rights and freedoms? I suppose in a distant fashion they do, but no foreign power has seriously threatened American liberties since the War of 1812. Even the terrorists are really more about reducing America's foreign influence. The people who uphold America's freedoms today are the activists, who court no end of controversy. Nobody hates the military because they don't step on anybody's toes.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

What I mean is, the GOP seems to have changed and focused since then on this one thing, undoing anything the president tries to do. What will the tea party do, especially? Will they be rudderless?

The GOP will absolute flop back to 100% support the president mode. The Tea Party specifically will largely depend on who gets put in. If it's a rather centrist e-GOP candidate, they'll grouse about capitulation and further alienate themselves from most Americans until they fragment and fade into the shadow. In the highly unlikely event of a Tea Party candidate they'll go into the same 100% support of the president as the GOP likely melding with the GOP entirely and softening their views a bit as their candidate makes actual political choices instead of just feeding the base. Either way dead Tea Party

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

quote:

A strong contender for the worst net neutrality cartoon here Lester, seeing as it doesn't even touch on anything to do with net neutrality whatsoever.

How hard would it be to have the FCC chairman tie down a Comcast rep to some train tracks with ropes called Net Neutrality and then have Obama twirling his moustache while driving the train of government regulation towards him as innocent Americans watch and lady liberty cries? Maybe put a sarcastic quip in the corner that says "More like Internot" :colbert:

Spoeank posted:

You see, the internet is a series of queues...

I like you and want to be your friend. :golfclap:

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

Selachian posted:

Slavish adulation of the president and festering hatred of anyone who criticizes him. See also: January 2001-January 2009.

Who was President during that time, I can't remember? Probably a democrat. And to add, they will blame all problems on Obama.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Baron Bifford posted:

Do American soldiers really defend American rights and freedoms? I suppose in a distant fashion they do, but no foreign power has seriously threatened American liberties since the War of 1812. Even the terrorists are really more about reducing America's foreign influence. The people who uphold America's freedoms today are the activists, who court no end of controversy. Nobody hates the military because they don't step on anybody's toes.
I don't think any power could realistically invade the US at this point because we have the most powerful navy in the world, like I can't think of a scenario where a country like North Korea, Russia, or China could invade and conquer the US.

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Who was President during that time, I can't remember? Probably a democrat. And to add, they will blame all problems on Obama.
It was Obama. We have always been at war with Eastasia had Obama as president.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TheMaskedChemist posted:

It was Obama. We have always been at war with Eastasia had Obama as president.

I think our last five presidents have been Obama, Reagan, Carter, LBJ, and Eisenhower, right? I certainly can't think of any others in that timespan.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is literally what Net Neutrality is preventing telecoms from doing you stupid gently caress holy poo poo

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Jesus fire-pissing Christ. :psyboom:

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This is literally what Net Neutrality is preventing telecoms from doing you stupid gently caress holy poo poo

If Net Neutrality really is a good thing then why does Obama support it? Checkmate, lib. :smug:

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
By the way, how did the Q&A with Mike Lester go? Has it even happened yet?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

loquacius posted:

I think our last five presidents have been Obama, Reagan, Carter, LBJ, and Eisenhower, right? I certainly can't think of any others in that timespan.

In that case, we should give this Jeb Bush fella a chance! It'd be nice to have an outsider as president for once!

TheMaskedChemist
Mar 30, 2010

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

If Net Neutrality really is a good thing then why does Obama support it? Checkmate, lib. :smug:

"In a rather odd event, President Barack Obama made the public declaration that he is morally opposed to shooting oneself in the head. Suicide rates sky rocket in southern states."

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

beepsandboops posted:

By the way, how did the Q&A with Mike Lester go? Has it even happened yet?
It happened on Friday and looks to have been a tedious non-event. A few people asked questions like 'have you stopped beating your wife yet' and were ignored. Hilarity!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

RIP Spock, died of horrible melting face syndrome.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
As far as I can tell there are basically three ways conservatives criticize net neutrality.

1. Saying telcos should be able to screw you over if they want. ~*Free Market Magic*~ will fix everything!
2. Claiming it's a slippery slope fallacy to more government regulation.
3. Completely misrepresenting what net neutrality means.

Not sure if Lester is going for #2 or #3, but given that it's Lester I'm guessing #3, the dumber option.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

TheMaskedChemist posted:

"In a rather odd event, President Barack Obama made the public declaration that he is morally opposed to shooting oneself in the head. Suicide rates sky rocket in southern states."

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

But this is literally how internet packets work*? Maybe Lester's gotten Net Neutrality confused with the now-defunct "Fairness Doctrine"?

*sorta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guilty Spork posted:

1. Saying telcos should be able to screw you over if they want. ~*Free Market Magic*~ will fix everything!

This argument really gets to me because the bandwidth industry's model, where you have a choice of one and exactly one provider depending on where you live, actually undermines capitalism. They're literally a cartel, in that they have agreed not to compete with each other. They actually need more regulation in order for the invisible hand to have any effect on them at all. A good capitalist should be clamoring for antitrust action against them.

• Locked thread