Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Suspicious Cook posted:

The third case in JFA is a drag compared to the rest of the trilogy, but it's not as bad as people make it sound. It's just sandwiched between two much better cases and the fourth and final case of JFA is one of the best in the entire series so the payoff is worth it.

Pretty much this. There's a lot of little things that make JFA just a little bit not as good as the other games, the third case being a stinker being the biggest one, though I felt the tutorial was really bad too and started the game off on the wrong foot, but it's still a really good game. Just don't bother playing the third case and have a walkthrough do all the work for you.

Anyway, I just realized that the trilogy was released on the eShop a while ago. $22 is kinda steep for three games I already own and knowing Capcom's reputation I'm wary of whether of not they're good ports of the DS games or lovely ports of the iOS games. Anyone play them? Did Capcom actually work on making them good ports or just phone it in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

On my recent replay of the Phoenix trilogy, I only got stuck in one case: pretty much all the investigation sequences in 2-3. I had to check a guide constantly to find the right triggers.

gently caress the circus.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Junkie Disease posted:

Phoenix Wright 2 has such a horrible slog 3rd act that it may sour you to reading things in games ever again. Jesus it was so drat slow.

I'm doing a full play through of the series now and am now starting on the 4th act after finishing that horrible case last night. My god, it was terrible.

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! loving kill me. The worst case so far.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

The clown was great you fools.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I'm 30 points away from hitting 400 coins to get another 3DS game case and I ran out of codes to register :negative: I was right about to buy the PW trilogy too but then I saw it was 30 bucks, where did you guys see it for $22?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Healbot posted:

His case was Hilaricidal.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Healbot posted:

No, not really. He was a pretty bad excuse for traveling to a bad out-of-the-way room for bad dialogue again and again and again. What a poo poo case.

HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! Why aren't you laughing?
HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! I can't stop.
HA! HA! Kill me. I'll probably frame you.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 28, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Moe was the best.

Sadlt the rest of the case sucked.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Should I expect Nintendo to actually alert me about the 2015 Platinum Reward or will I have to just keep logging into Club Nintendo until they close it? This is the first time I'll be eligible for the "free reward" thing.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Anyone else noticing their New3DS not sleeping nearly as well as the original? The battery life does appear better overall when I'm just playing a game, but I've now had three nights where the thing just dies overnight, where the original would have still had nearly a full charge the next morning.

Since my router is upstairs from the bedroom, I wonder if the wireless is just stronger enough to where it's trying to use the wifi all night or something...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Pretty much this. There's a lot of little things that make JFA just a little bit not as good as the other games, the third case being a stinker being the biggest one, though I felt the tutorial was really bad too and started the game off on the wrong foot, but it's still a really good game. Just don't bother playing the third case and have a walkthrough do all the work for you.

Anyway, I just realized that the trilogy was released on the eShop a while ago. $22 is kinda steep for three games I already own and knowing Capcom's reputation I'm wary of whether of not they're good ports of the DS games or lovely ports of the iOS games. Anyone play them? Did Capcom actually work on making them good ports or just phone it in?

The eShop trilogy is the only way I've ever played Phoenix Wright, but everything seems fine to me! Music is good, sprites look good, touchscreen controls are responsive. You can even yell "Objection!" into the mic if you want.

Also, I was warned ahead of time about That Case in game 2, and it was not nearly as bad as everyone kept making it out to be. :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
By a very long shot the worst Phoenix Wright case is the last one in Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, which is a shame since it's the only case where Layton is actually VERSUS Wright and should have been great. Instead it's something like literally 3 hours of infodump and stupid twists.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Fryhtaning posted:

Anyone else noticing their New3DS not sleeping nearly as well as the original? The battery life does appear better overall when I'm just playing a game, but I've now had three nights where the thing just dies overnight, where the original would have still had nearly a full charge the next morning.

Since my router is upstairs from the bedroom, I wonder if the wireless is just stronger enough to where it's trying to use the wifi all night or something...

Why on earth don't you leave your 3DS on the cradle at night?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Owning a 3ds has completely ruined cell phone gaming for me. The quality of games and the tactile controls are something you just can't ignore once you have them. I used to play games on my iPhone whilst pooping but now I'm just all meh, and I just use facebook or surf the forums. Nintendo is loving us with good games again!!

Thanks for listening to my first world pooping conundrum.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

How long does it take you (and everyone else who reads/plays games on the toilet) to poo poo lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Katana Gomai posted:

How long does it take you (and everyone else who reads/plays games on the toilet) to poo poo lol

Until their manager starts wondering where they went

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

precision posted:

By a very long shot the worst Phoenix Wright case is the last one in Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, which is a shame since it's the only case where Layton is actually VERSUS Wright and should have been great. Instead it's something like literally 3 hours of infodump and stupid twists.

So, basically the end of a Layton game.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Silver95280 posted:

So, basically the end of a Layton game.

If you surgically removed Layton and his influences from PLvsAA, the game would be outstanding. As it stands, it's just really good until the ending.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

layton is the worst

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Owning a 3ds has completely ruined cell phone gaming for me. The quality of games and the tactile controls are something you just can't ignore once you have them. I used to play games on my iPhone whilst pooping but now I'm just all meh, and I just use facebook or surf the forums. Nintendo is loving us with good games again!!

Thanks for listening to my first world pooping conundrum.

How does it take internet people so long to take a poo poo, I hate being in the bathroom. I go in I take a poo poo and get out. I don't sit there and read a book on my iPad for gods sake. Or play games or whatever you are talking about. It's unsanitary.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its fun though, which trumps all else

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

If you surgically removed Layton and his influences from PLvsAA, the game would be outstanding. As it stands, it's just really good until the ending.

Davincie posted:

layton is the worst

Some bad opinions itt

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Layton games and their stupid plot twists actually own and I hope Layton makes it into Smash Bros

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

The Layton games and their stupid plot twists actually own and I hope Layton makes it into Smash Bros

:agreed:

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nolgthorn posted:

How does it take internet people so long to take a poo poo, I hate being in the bathroom. I go in I take a poo poo and get out. I don't sit there and read a book on my iPad for gods sake. Or play games or whatever you are talking about. It's unsanitary.

I read your post in the bathroom. I've not really taken a video game into the bathroom since I started using iPhones.

Does this count as poo poo posting?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Soul Glo posted:

I read your post in the bathroom. I've not really taken a video game into the bathroom since I started using iPhones.

Does this count as poo poo posting?

All posts have been polluted by activity in your bathroom.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Case 3 in Justice for All is bad, but Case 3 in Apollo Justice is so much worse. I got through the first three Phoenix Wright games in a couple of weeks each and it took me literally 4 or 5 months to slog through that one Apollo Justice case, because I couldn't stand it for more than a few minutes at a time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Help Im Alive posted:

:agreed: x 2

The twist at the end of Layton v. Wright though is just, not bad in a good way, just like... bad. And I'm not kidding it really is about 3-4 hours long, much longer than the end of any other Layton or Wright game.

I mean it's still a good game and has a lot of great character moments but ultimately it's the worst Layton game and also the worst Phoenix Wright game. :\

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

precision posted:

the worst Phoenix Wright game. :\

I'd say that award still goes to Apollo Justice.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
For those wondering about Club Nintendo and codes:

You have until March 31 to redeem codes. On April 1st free stuff for elite status members will be announced/released. You get a month or so to claim. Then on July 31st the club is closed and all points are gone.

I think it would be interesting to have a recommended list. Wii U and 3ds.

I'm guessing #1 for 3ds is Kid Icarus? Or DKCR?
Wii U is probably Earthbound or LTTP.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm still waiting for them to remake Kung Fu from the NES. We need a good side scrolling beat 'em up.

Some game questions:

1- I'm going to get Kid Icarus Uprising after the chat in here. Should I buy the hard copy with the stand, or is it playable just fine from the eShop? Does the stand even work with the Nu3DS? Does the game take advantage of the CPP, or are you locked to the touchscreen aiming?

2- Fractured Soul looks pretty cool, anyone have any hands on with it?

3- I only ever played the original SNES Star Fox and briefly the really terrible Gamecube one. Is Star Fox 64 3D worth it if I've never played it before? Is it awesome like the original SNES one? How is the 3D in it? Hard to gauge first hand with videos on Youtube.

4- Is MGS3 Snake Eater 3D easier to control on a Nu3DS, and thus worth getting?

5- Would I get Club Nintendo points for any of these, because I'm pretty close to getting a free game?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I have 400 pts that I need to use. Everyone tells me to get the case but I have a 32gb card in my system and hope to keep everything digital. I was looking at Kid Icarus 3D. Any recommendations?

I have been playing the Monster Hunter and Codename Steam demos and I had zero interest in the games before I tried them. I'm blown away how fun they are. There are way too many games on this system. Even Face Raiders is amazing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Housh posted:

I have 400 pts that I need to use. Everyone tells me to get the case but I have a 32gb card in my system and hope to keep everything digital. I was looking at Kid Icarus 3D. Any recommendations?

I have been playing the Monster Hunter and Codename Steam demos and I had zero interest in the games before I tried them. I'm blown away how fun they are. There are way too many games on this system. Even Face Raiders is amazing.

Haha, what the hell is Face Raiders, anyway? Is it a game? I'm pretty sure I've never launched it.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

enojy posted:

Haha, what the hell is Face Raiders, anyway? Is it a game? I'm pretty sure I've never launched it.

It's kind of like the AR stuff - you take photos of people and their faces get wrapped onto some creepy flying things that you have to find and shoot by moving the 3DS around.

Rexroom posted:

Why on earth don't you leave your 3DS on the cradle at night?

I'm old school OK. I've been burned too many times by overcharging things in the past to let anything charge for 8 hours while already at a full charge. Even if everyone says you can't really overcharge batteries these days, I'll always have that complex. I usually don't plug anything in until it's showing red.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've burned out phone batteries by charging them too often within the past couple years but I really don't think you can burn out the batteries in any of the 3DS line. It's one thing Nintendo has always been good at, IIRC the SP had pretty insane battery life - wikipedia says 10 hours minimum on a single charge :catdrugs:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

precision posted:

I've burned out phone batteries by charging them too often within the past couple years but I really don't think you can burn out the batteries in any of the 3DS line. It's one thing Nintendo has always been good at, IIRC the SP had pretty insane battery life - wikipedia says 10 hours minimum on a single charge :catdrugs:

Even if you do burn it out a replacement battery is pretty cheap.

Oh well but that would require screwing so maybe that's out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Another Question:

How do people like Mario Kart 7? Does anyone still play it online and such?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Speaking of batteries, it looks like my old XL had died-- I'm glad it waited this long because I only got my new 3ds and did my system transfer a week ago. I can plug it in and the charging light goes on, but if I try to turn it on (even while plugged in) it dies immediately and if I unplug it no lights show at all. Is this familiar to anyone? Worth trying to replace the battery for a cheap fix?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

goferchan posted:

Speaking of batteries, it looks like my old XL had died-- I'm glad it waited this long because I only got my new 3ds and did my system transfer a week ago. I can plug it in and the charging light goes on, but if I try to turn it on (even while plugged in) it dies immediately and if I unplug it no lights show at all. Is this familiar to anyone? Worth trying to replace the battery for a cheap fix?

A replacement battery is like 10 bucks on amazon so yeah I'd try that. Unless it's still under warranty then I would just send it to Nintendo and have them do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

precision posted:

how often did you charge? i had an iphone for 5 years, charged it almost every day and never had it burn out