Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Co-Worker lives 45 minutes away from our office and drives two giant SUV/Trucks. His diesel maybe gets 15 MPG.

He does this for years. Always talks about getting a little beater (though for some reason he looks at new cars?) but never does.

Finds a house closer to work, and moves there. Without first selling his house that is now an hour away from where he moved to.

Of course he can't just sell the house "as-is" but has to carry it for a while to do renovations. Also this isn't just a normal SFH house in a sub-division, its a large piece of property with room for dozens of animals to be boarded, lots of pasture, etc.

Its been 3 months or so that he "has to sell his house" because he's "going broke fast" - but no real improvement in the state of the property in regards to selling it. I ask every week if he's gonna "finish up moving this weekend" and there is always some social engagement that is taking priority.

At least his commute is shorter now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
DrBouvenstein, 50% of the content of your post is excuses. They might even be valid excuses, I'm not saying they're not, but it doesn't matter - no one cares. I can't find anything in that post where you made a concrete plan and followed through. Currently, you have a job that pays enough, but by your own admission you fell into it. It seems like you're just floating along; what happens when the tide changes?

You must be a smart enough guy, you got a BME degree, but smart only goes so far. You need more grit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

District Selectman posted:

DrBouvenstein, 50% of the content of your post is excuses. They might even be valid excuses, I'm not saying they're not, but it doesn't matter - no one cares. I can't find anything in that post where you made a concrete plan and followed through.

Well that was most of my point, for nearly ten years I was a stupid moron without any real plan.

I'd say I have most of a plan now. The money I'm putting into the savings account is something I'd like to use for a house down payment in 1-2 years, depending on factors such as:
Will my GF and I get married by then?
Will the amount we save be enough (if I don't up the amount I'm setting aside, I know it won't be on its own, but combined with her's it could be.)
What's the housing market like here?
What are our jobs/career prospects looking like?
Etc...

As far as my career, it might have been a misnomer to say I "fell" into it. I was referred by a friend who used to work here. I was initially hired to do software QA, which I knew was dead-end, so I worked hard at it, learned a lot about SDLC, networking, etc... and they transferred me to a network support position. I enjoy this more than I ever enjoyed the biomed stuff, though again, that was simple tech work, not actual engineering. But there's virtually no BME jobs where I live, and I have no plans to move elsewhere, so trying to finish my grad degree to get into that isn't on my radar. I'm pretty much focused on their path at the moment.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

I have another friend who could be wealthy, but ends up spending most of his money.

On the plus side (money wise), he has a trust that generates ~$3k a month (might be more now that he's older, may have more direct access to the money). He also has a job and makes roughly another ~$3500 after taxes a month. So a decent income for the area. Their mortgage is tiny, like $300/month.

Since I've known them, they've gotten 1415(?) new cars. Brand new, not just new to them, but brand new. Some loans, some leases. I'll see if I can list them.

Toyota Celica
Toyota Corolla
Mazda RX-8
Mazda 6 (lemon lawed)
Mazda 6
Nissan Titan
Acura TL
Subaru STI
Acura RDX
Subaru STI
Lexus IS250
Subaru STI
Toyota Tundra
BMW 335xi
BMW M235i

Obviously their priority is vehicles. For a while they wanted to buy a house (theirs isn't in the best neighborhood), but "couldn't afford a mortgage/down payment" on anything they liked so now they pay to send their oldest to a private school.

I was just talking with this friend of mine, on a whim they found a small piece of land they might like to buy and are now talking to builders to possibly build a home. Mercifully they're very early in the process and I'm hoping/assuming they may be surprised when they figure out how much it is to build. He was complaining that they would have to put 10k down on a land loan (wiping out all his liquid assets) when if he got a construction loan he could put that same $10k down and then they'd have a house being built for them or whatever.

Save your money, guys

:negative:

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

Haifisch posted:

If you buy anything other than a plain white pair of $20 sneakers with barely-adequate support, you're bad with money. :reject:

My office just instituted Fly Kicks Friday. I need to invest in shoe equity or else I'll be seen as not a team player!

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

MJBuddy posted:

My county has like 30 different tax rates, and my part of it has 5. I have a solid estimate but man it can vary by the block.

Rate doesn't matter. You'll have the actual amount of tax due for the prior year on your county site.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It came from...D&D?

Pohl posted:

If he actually makes a sale his bonus is going to be something crazy like $80 grand. No, he has no idea about the SS cap. What he does is bitch that the government taxes his bonus at 50%. He is a great guy and I love him but I want to punch him in the face. He could possibly clear almost $200K this year and he is mad that he feels poor and has credit card debt. He is getting married soon and his wife to be makes a modest income, but she probably makes enough to pay the bills. I'm just :catdrugs:, because it doesn't make sense and I can't tell him that he is doing great without a lecture from him about how he is being torn down.

We even went through his bills and income the other day and I was like, motherfucker, you could have 20K in cash by August. He told me he was bad with money. :buddy:

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

Inverse Icarus posted:

Bad with money: I got a vinyl cutter in early February, and I've been making a bunch of stickers and tshirts to sell to friends casually for a while to see if this is something I could do for beer money. It's been going well so far. I still haven't paid for the cutter yet, but the little spreadsheet I've made for costs/sales is slowly getting closer and closer to breaking even.

I made my team at work (6 people) a shirt to celebrate releasing a new product/feature we've worked really hard on for almost two years. It was maybe $35 worth of materials, and I was fine eating it as a gift to my friends/coworkers.

My manager found out I was doing this, and got excited. He said he'd reimburse me for material costs if I made them "for the whole team." I assumed he meant the managers and architects in addition to the engineers, for a total of maybe 10 people. I was pretty excited because I would get to practice making shirts without losing any cash. Turns out he meant the "greater team" of like 30 people, fully two thirds of which didn't work on the product/feature at all.

So now I've basically volunteered to make 30 shirts at cost, ignoring the value of hours of my life.

Cloks posted:

Tell your manager you expected it was less and you'd like to be compensated for your time?

Managed to turn this around.

Today we did our big software demo to senior management, and the whole team wore the shirts I made. Other managers were impressed and started talking to me about ordering shirts for their team. After hearing me tell them it would be $12 a shirt from now on and how much time I spent doing it, my manager told me he'd pay that if I wrote up an invoice.

Just made $250 after materials for about 4 hours of work, and I've got some leads on future jobs.

/humblebrag I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5betFZRICVg

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
A MMM approved side venture.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

I was just talking with this friend of mine, on a whim they found a small piece of land they might like to buy and are now talking to builders to possibly build a home. Mercifully they're very early in the process and I'm hoping/assuming they may be surprised when they figure out how much it is to build. He was complaining that they would have to put 10k down on a land loan (wiping out all his liquid assets) when if he got a construction loan he could put that same $10k down and then they'd have a house being built for them or whatever.

Save your money, guys

:negative:

This obsession with buying houses seems to date back 40 or so years when it actually made a lot of sense and was affordable. The following documentary covers a lot of the changes since then (it also shows the UK is bad with money).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n06WlUJScTg

Baby boomers did well buying houses during liberalisation and made a lot of money as a result. Thing is a lot of people could afford a house, these days not so much. One of the things in the documentary points out that the ability to purchase a house makes the difference between the well off and the poor. It's not quite accurate the divide in wealth or affluence is whether or not people invest their money.

Buying a house or truck then losing it because you can't afford the payments of course makes you worse off. Something that a guy with only $10k for a house deposit doesn't understand.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
I'm still in the red a few hundred for the whole thing for now with all the tools/materials I bought, but the cutter has officially paid for itself with this. If I can convince one of those managers to pull the trigger on a shirt for their teams I'll be in the black.

Meanwhile I'm hucking decals for macbooks to all my friends. I'll probably formalize this as a business with a website sometime in the next few months.

Bad with money: My dad's new wife wanted to have fresh herbs for cooking. Some pots on the windowsill, you'd imagine.

Nope.

This image pretty much blew my mind.

First, that system is $130 on amazon.

Secondly, it's not growing BASIL.

Thirdly, it looks like the seeds come in loving k-cups. My dad says "you can buy cups without seeds and add your own."

Perhaps most frustrating of all, It is literally on the windowsill.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
good with money: grow and sell weed with it

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Inverse Icarus posted:

I'm still in the red a few hundred for the whole thing for now with all the tools/materials I bought, but the cutter has officially paid for itself with this. If I can convince one of those managers to pull the trigger on a shirt for their teams I'll be in the black.

Meanwhile I'm hucking decals for macbooks to all my friends. I'll probably formalize this as a business with a website sometime in the next few months.

Bad with money: My dad's new wife wanted to have fresh herbs for cooking. Some pots on the windowsill, you'd imagine.

Nope.

Thirdly, it looks like the seeds come in loving k-cups. My dad says "you can buy cups without seeds and add your own."

That is hilarious. If only someone could figure out a solar-powered plant grower, they'd be rich!

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

That is hilarious. If only someone could figure out a solar-powered plant grower, they'd be rich!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5893213_design-solar-powered-grow-room.html

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Inverse Icarus posted:

Nope.

My wife has been trying to grow plants (not weed) for a while, but it both gets too cold to keep them outside, and on most windowsills they eventually get murdered by our cats. In our new place we have an extra room, so she decided she wanted a heater like that. Thankfully, the one she got does not look anything like that (not fancy), and she paid like, $30-40 on Craigslist.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Plus if you use it as an incubator to grow food from seed it pays for itself and becomes officially good with money!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pew just released a sobering report on how hosed the average American family is financially.
http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/reports/2015/01/the-precarious-state-of-family-balance-sheets

My favorite: top quintile of families have on average 52 days of liquid savings.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My favorite: top quintile of families have on average 52 days of liquid savings.

There's no way that can be true... and sure enough that report redefines "liquid savings" as cash and equivalents held in nonretirement accounts. Which is a considerably more narrow definition than what liquid assets usually means.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

SlapActionJackson posted:

There's no way that can be true... and sure enough that report redefines "liquid savings" as cash and equivalents held in nonretirement accounts. Which is a considerably more narrow definition than what liquid assets usually means.

Fair enough and good point. Since BFC preach a 6-9 month emergency fund I figured this was noteworthy.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Fair enough and good point. Since BFC preach a 6-9 month emergency fund I figured this was noteworthy.

What's wrong with not using an emergency fund and just drawing on investment portfolio in times if emergency?

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Mantle posted:

What's wrong with not using an emergency fund and just drawing on investment portfolio in times if emergency?

If (when) the economy goes south again, you can lose your job and a large chunk of your portfolio at the same time.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Mantle posted:

Maybe nothing I suppose but to be honest I don't feel very qualified to speculate much on that debate. I feel a mix is safe but it probably depends on your style of investing. I just wanted to mention the report from pew as they are a pretty well regarded research entity.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

I agree with you, and I don't see the issue with Pew using only non retirement assets for the purposes of that study

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

I agree with you, and I don't see the issue with Pew using only non retirement assets for the purposes of that study

Not all nonretirement assets count, just nonretirement cash. The issue is that it significantly undercounts the assets readily available to that group they could use to weather financial hardship. They also should have called it "cash savings" rather than "liquid savings" to make it more clear what they meant.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

What non-cash non-retirement would you like for them to have included?

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

pig slut lisa posted:

What non-cash non-retirement would you like for them to have included?

All of the liquid ones? E.g. stocks, bonds, mutual funds held in taxable accounts.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

SlapActionJackson posted:

Not all nonretirement assets count, just nonretirement cash. The issue is that it significantly undercounts the assets readily available to that group they could use to weather financial hardship. They also should have called it "cash savings" rather than "liquid savings" to make it more clear what they meant.

Looking at the study... they do break it down a bit further a little bit down. The "average" family could survive 120 daysish if they drained all their accounts. Cash, retirement, and personal investments.

That's still really loving sad though.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Hey guys, can we stop pretending that surveys done in 2008 and 2009 mean anything?

Yeah, when you choose a massive recession as an endpoint, things look bad. Big loving surprise.

E: Ah no, only some blurbs are 2009 endpoint. Still a bit silly.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

MJBuddy posted:

Hey guys, can we stop pretending that surveys done in 2008 and 2009 mean anything?

Yeah, when you choose a massive recession as an endpoint, things look bad. Big loving surprise.

Once you include retirement and other financial assets, the 2013 number is actually lower than the 2010 one.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MJBuddy posted:

You like to pretend things change but they really only stay the same. 2009 is plenty relevant.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Series DD Funding posted:

Once you include retirement and other financial assets, the 2013 number is actually lower than the 2010 one.

They don't have income numbers post-2009 at all, was my point.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Figure 11 Most Households Are Facing Financial Challenge

A 2013 figure where 55% of households are savings limited (having 1 month of money). 47% are income constrained (spending more than they earned) which is likely to just be financially stupid in most of those households. The debt challenged definition is interesting being 8% of households pay 41%+ of their monthly income on debt serving.

Of course there is a special category of being in deep poo poo where 3% of households are in all three categories. From the diagram there are about 50% of households that spend too much or have high debt servicing. That's really bad.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I think recession-era numbers are more revealing than boom-era numbers. When the equity and real estate markets are hot there are a whole lot of paper millionaires. It's when things get deflated that you start to see the reality of the situation.

The fact that

quote:

The "average" family could survive 120 daysish if they drained all their accounts. Cash, retirement, and personal investments.

is terrifying. Even if you assume the worst that their retirement portfolio was temporarily knocked down by 50% in the recession that's still well short of a single year of survival on savings if you liquidate everything.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Here is another Pew brief from a few days back:
http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/issue-briefs/2015/02/americans-financial-security-perceptions-and-reality

It has more depressing info such as 10% of persons with income of 100k or more have no savings.

This stuff makes me feel terrified about the future.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
Why? The numbers have been stable for at least 30 years now.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Graduated a good engineering school in 2004 with a BS in biomedical engineering, and only about 30k in debt from loans. Because I slacked off and didn't do proper research/talk to adviser, I both had a crummy GPA and didn't bother applying to grad school, not realizing that it's pretty much a requirement for BME jobs, though.

As someone who is in this exact position right now this makes me go :ohdear: I like BME, but I really wish I had gone pretty much any other engineering degree because I'm having real issues finding a job.

Folly
May 26, 2010

Series DD Funding posted:

Why? The numbers have been stable for at least 30 years now.

When a large portion of the population lives check to check, they don't have the leverage that the employment system expects them to have when negotiating benefits and wages. This drives down benefits and wages even when the economy otherwise recovers.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

ranbo das posted:

As someone who is in this exact position right now this makes me go :ohdear: I like BME, but I really wish I had gone pretty much any other engineering degree because I'm having real issues finding a job.

I'll be making sure to tell my hypothetical future child not to major in chemistry like I did. Any number of easier majors have better career prospects and don't require you to go to grad school.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Folly posted:

When a large portion of the population lives check to check, they don't have the leverage that the employment system expects them to have when negotiating benefits and wages. This drives down benefits and wages even when the economy otherwise recovers.

I think the point is that this has basically always been the case throughout human history, most people simply never accumulate enough wealth and resources to not labor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Powerlurker posted:

I'll be making sure to tell my hypothetical future child not to major in chemistry like I did. Any number of easier majors have better career prospects and don't require you to go to grad school.

I hear that. Except I would've gone to a marginally harder degree in ChemE.

30k a year starting with no prospects of major improvement vs 70k starting and tons of room for growth

• Locked thread