Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah this stuff does seem to scratch an itch. I've wanted that block swapper for a while. The only alternative was the wand of equal trade or whatever it is in Thaumcraft, which involves getting at least a little into it in order to make and use. Then inevitably it can't be powered sufficiently to do the amount of swapping somebody needs. I think the concern people had was being able to swap ores for junk blocks. It would lead to some fast mining, and if the tool didn't care about mining levels, it would be the defacto mining tool. In a PvP environment, I can see the builder's wand being somewhat exploitable. If somebody can get cobblegen up and has a builder's wand, they can start encasing everything. But most of the time, I think the server admins just leave a stash of them out for people.

So I am normally not bothered by this, but I find myself pondering this if I'm trying to do a team race to the moon.

Try the exchanger from endertech, it's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

So hey, everyone's been going on about packs to play for a while and saying the old OP is out of date as hell.

So with that being in mind, after two entire weekends of work on modpack, solder, server and otherwise setup, I'd like to announce the OMP Suite!

OMP i
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-i.598014
OMP TerraFirmaReloaded
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-terrafirmareloaded.598409
OMP Sigma 2
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-new-sigma.599164

Pages have mod lists thanks to solder.

All packs are fully solder-enabled, and have config work/minetweaker work done! That means:
-No more duplicate ores!
-Oregen changed!
-Battletower loot isn't poo poo!
-Much More!

There's a thread for these packs and the servers associated with:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703438

Hope you all enjoy playing!

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
OMP back in business :getin:

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Turns out the absolute best way to mine EVERYTHING in blightfall is to make a wand of equal trade. it ignores things like hardness values so you can mine everything with it.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That seems fair, its abit of alchemy to get one of them now. Not a mammoth effort but certainly the most effort pre-infusion foci.

So has anyone being using Ars Magica 2 and keeping it upto date? Whats your thoughts on it?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thyrork posted:

That seems fair, its abit of alchemy to get one of them now. Not a mammoth effort but certainly the most effort pre-infusion foci.

So has anyone being using Ars Magica 2 and keeping it upto date? Whats your thoughts on it?

I have the same :spergin: issue with AM2 that I do with Blood Magic: the huge, ugly, mandatory multiblock structures that can't really be hidden and are drat near impossible to integrate sensibly with regular buildings. Anecdotally, it's also one of the most unstable mods I've ever used.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

at the date posted:

I have the same :spergin: issue with AM2 that I do with Blood Magic: the huge, ugly, mandatory multiblock structures that can't really be hidden and are drat near impossible to integrate sensibly with regular buildings. Anecdotally, it's also one of the most unstable mods I've ever used.

It's also fun figuring out and making up your own spells (e.g. example for clarification from Mithion). It is a bit buggy, but my family and I are enjoying it. it's nice that not everyone has exactly the same identical spells as the next and you can share your experiments with others, even if they haven't done the research.

The Armour Imbuement is a nice touch, if you don't have alternate (or even if you do, since not all of them replicate current enchantments) methods of enchanting your armour to avoid the stupid Minecraft Enchantment RNG.

It's really great for early game digging and light (torch) placement. Never run out of torches while spelunking again!

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.
Crossposting this because a few people asked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTNkyI3rR4c

I'm starting a Let's Play Space Engineers series. If it goes well I'll try to do another modded MC series as well.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Echophonic posted:

Well, at least you can't be worse at getting to the moon than the Yogscast. :v:

I'm still not sure what happened in Duncan's brain on that one. Lewis and Simon, sure, but how did Duncan screw up in that specific way?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I'm still not sure what happened in Duncan's brain on that one. Lewis and Simon, sure, but how did Duncan screw up in that specific way?

What happened?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

McFrugal posted:

What happened?

He saw 'hold space to slow down', and tapped it.

Simon at least had the excuse of slow reading (he didn't realize he had to hold it RIGHT NOW), and Lewis forgot to put on oxygen gear, but Duncan just failed to read simple words.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
So a buddy of mine set up a Realms of Mianite server. Is it any good, and if not, what is an easy or hilarious way to break the poo poo out of it and make my friend enormously unhappy?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Then there was a time when they ran out of fuel on the way up due to Simon loving around, I think.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

I am interested in this, maybe when I get bored of blightfall I will play one of these.
Thanks for the hard work.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Echophonic posted:

Then there was a time when they ran out of fuel on the way up due to Simon loving around, I think.

This one's not on Simon, actually. If anything, his loving around saved them; he wouldn't have had the fuel to make the trip anyway. His swerving around at least meant that it landed safely in the ocean, instead of falling back onto the launchpad situated next to a number of machines and their reactor.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

StealthArcher posted:

So hey, everyone's been going on about packs to play for a while and saying the old OP is out of date as hell.

So with that being in mind, after two entire weekends of work on modpack, solder, server and otherwise setup, I'd like to announce the OMP Suite!

OMP i
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-i.598014
OMP TerraFirmaReloaded
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-terrafirmareloaded.598409
OMP Sigma 2
http://www.technicpack.net/modpack/omp-new-sigma.599164

Pages have mod lists thanks to solder.

All packs are fully solder-enabled, and have config work/minetweaker work done! That means:
-No more duplicate ores!
-Oregen changed!
-Battletower loot isn't poo poo!
-Much More!

There's a thread for these packs and the servers associated with:http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703438

What exactly is the progression going on in here? Vanilla tools are apparently useless and the best TC pick I can make right now is stone... which is also apparently useless because everything needs copper or higher to mine.

...including copper for some reason?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

What exactly is the progression going on in here? Vanilla tools are apparently useless and the best TC pick I can make right now is stone... which is also apparently useless because everything needs copper or higher to mine.

I don't know which pack you're referring to, but you probably need a flint or bone pickaxe to mine copper. Then you need to get a zombie head to upgrade the tool to mine tin (or was it iron next?) or level up the tool until it gains a bonus mining level. Iguanatweaks' hardcore setting is pretty rough.

Also, uh GUYS. I have just made a startling discovery. Hungry nodes can be converted to Tainted nodes... at which point they can be energized. This makes them the best, assuming you can get ahold of a tainted node so you can put it above/under the hungry node to convert the biome and eventually the node (jar a node, unjar it in a tainted land to make one?) or just transplant the hungry node into a tainted land and hope it doesn't degrade into a faded node when you transplant it a second time.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 28, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just got into a rut with RFTools. I'm trying to make a dimension with a few biomes, a bunch of molten metal lakes, but everything else pretty much normal. Every time I go through, I get a little bit through, before I suddenly just get a bunch of poison/wither/everything effects and just die. The sky goes black too. I go into cheat mode and try to advance the day, but all I see is the sun going overhead in a black sky. I believe this means the dimension is running out of power, but when I check the dimension template in the builder, it has maximum charge. Is there something I'm missing?

Another question: Is there a guide to making a 1.7.10 mod pack for local testing that doesn't involve watching a YouTube video of a 13-year-old stammering through it?

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Feb 28, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

McFrugal posted:

Also, uh GUYS. I have just made a startling discovery. Hungry nodes can be converted to Tainted nodes... at which point they can be energized. This makes them the best, assuming you can get ahold of a tainted node so you can put it above/under the hungry node to convert the biome and eventually the node (jar a node, unjar it in a tainted land to make one?) or just transplant the hungry node into a tainted land and hope it doesn't degrade into a faded node when you transplant it a second time.

How do you move the hungry node? Doesn't it just destroy the blocks as you try to place them to build the jar around it?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just got into a rut with RFTools. I'm trying to make a dimension with a few biomes, a bunch of molten metal lakes, but everything else pretty much normal. Every time I go through, I get a little bit through, before I suddenly just get a bunch of poison/wither/everything effects and just die. The sky goes black too. I go into cheat mode and try to advance the day, but all I see is the sun going overhead in a black sky. I believe this means the dimension is running out of power, but when I check the dimension template in the builder, it has maximum charge. Is there something I'm missing?

Another question: Is there a guide to making a 1.7.10 mod pack for local testing that doesn't involve watching a YouTube video of a 13-year-old stammering through it?

It's stammering pre teens all the way down in minecraft. All the way down.

Flint works, also update, there were some bad configs in the first edition and everything was set to hardcore for a while.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 28, 2015

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

Mzbundifund posted:

How do you move the hungry node? Doesn't it just destroy the blocks as you try to place them to build the jar around it?

If you have Mekanism you can cardboard box them, but from what others on my server have said it randomises the node type when you place it back down.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Blightfall crashed when trying to use a thaumic enchanter. Updated it, and now it crashes on loading the world.
OMP Sigma 2 here I come.

And OMP Sigma 2 crashes on making a world.
Also gives an error on startup.

Posting an error log in a minute.
http://pastebin.com/aMCYw5na

I can't find where this log is.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Feb 28, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Magical Crops is surprisingly powerful for how easy it is to get set up. Preferably, you want the powersuit armor with the fist and defoliate ability so you get a bunch of essence seeds, you farm them for a day or so until you're getting hundreds of thousands of essence, then you can pretty much farm any resource at all without lifting a finger. Just realised I can pretty much run a nether star generator forever without much effort. The only reason I'd want to is for mining lasers though, but magical crops make them pointless (unless you're playing on a big server and hate lag, I guess) so I'm not sure what to do with all the power. Any ideas?

Either way, my next run will be a "no quarries" run. I'm really loving magical crops. Regret not trying them ages ago.

Edit: Out of curiosity, do sprinklers stack with lilypads of fertility? Does anything? I have nothing but lilypads of fertility under my farms, but if I can add more stuff that will further accelerate growth, I might as well.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Feb 28, 2015

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Place obsidian around the node with wood slabs on top, then equal trade it into glass. With a bit of luck it won't eat any of the glass before you hit the completed jar shape with your wand to activate it. Make sure all the obsidian is exposed to air(or the slabs) or else part of it won't convert. If it does eat one or more glass blocks you can try to keep filling in the holes either by hand or with a builder's wand.

SugarAddict posted:

Blightfall crashed when trying to use a thaumic enchanter. Updated it, and now it crashes on loading the world.
OMP Sigma 2 here I come.

You mean the osmotic enchanter? What were you enchanting, and with what?

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Mr Scumbag posted:

Edit: Out of curiosity, do sprinklers stack with lilypads of fertility? Does anything? I have nothing but lilypads of fertility under my farms, but if I can add more stuff that will further accelerate growth, I might as well.

They should stack. So do agricraft sprinklers, thaumcraft lamps of growth, and if you water a lilypad with a watering can the effects multiply.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Dartcraft time torches too, but I don't think that's been updated. Maybe someone cloned those by now though. Loved those for my pearl farm.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Tsubasa2004 posted:

They should stack. So do agricraft sprinklers, thaumcraft lamps of growth, and if you water a lilypad with a watering can the effects multiply.

Yeah, that's OP as gently caress.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
So I'm having a problem with Tekkit. Started all of a sudden. I was playing fine 13 hours ago, went to sleep, woke up, did some other gaming, and when I was trying to start Tekkit, it just hangs on "Installing Minecraft Assets…" for 10 - 15 seconds, before I get an error message saying: "An error was raised while attempting to read pack info for modpack tekkitmain, build 1.2.9f: connect timed out".

Does that mean that Tekkit is down, or is the problem on my end?

Win 7, newest version of 64-bit java, set to run Tekkit with 2 GB RAM et cetera.

Also, huge pastebin of todays techniclog:
http://pastebin.com/iJbuAiiJ

Which I don't understand too much of. Mostly because of the size, and that I don't know too much about the language.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is mcedit still the best program for deleting problematic chunks or mod blocks? I've got one specific area (centered on a generated Stonehenge type stone circle with a dispenser in a pond in the middle, don't know what mod added that or if it's vanilla) that causes the server to lockup without saving whenever anyone comes near*. I'm hoping that deleting a few surrounding chunks will fix it.

Kicking the can down the road until another freezing structure is found.

*At least this means no one has gotten stuck by it yet since the slight rollback leaves them somewhere else :v:

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Arrath posted:

Is mcedit still the best program for deleting problematic chunks or mod blocks? I've got one specific area (centered on a generated Stonehenge type stone circle with a dispenser in a pond in the middle, don't know what mod added that or if it's vanilla) that causes the server to lockup without saving whenever anyone comes near*. I'm hoping that deleting a few surrounding chunks will fix it.

Kicking the can down the road until another freezing structure is found.

*At least this means no one has gotten stuck by it yet since the slight rollback leaves them somewhere else :v:

MCedit is still the go-to choice, yeah. And that structure is generated by Witchery - it's also got a pair of witch spawners. Ive never heard of anyone having trouble with them before, though.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

SugarAddict posted:

OMP Sigma 2 here I come.

And OMP Sigma 2 crashes on making a world.
Also gives an error on startup.

Posting an error log in a minute.
http://pastebin.com/aMCYw5na

I can't find where this log is.

Same issue. This pack sounds like it's right up my alley too . I got the modpack started after deleting enhanced portals, technomancy, and Ars magica. Would really like AM in this though.

central dogma fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 28, 2015

wylker
Jul 7, 2009

This is not how I envisioned this working out.

central dogma posted:

Same issue. This pack sounds like it's right up my alley too . I got the modpack started after deleting enhanced portals, technomancy, and Ars magica. Would really like AM in this though.

Unfortunately, deleting Ars Magicka is the way to fix 90% of modpacks that include it.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

McFrugal posted:

Then you need to get a zombie head to upgrade the tool to mine tin (or was it iron next?) or level up the tool until it gains a bonus mining level.

I'm trying to do this, but it wont let me add the upgrade for some reason? I checked the configs and it looks like all the "Mob_Head_Upgrade" options are set to true, so I don't know.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Serifina posted:

MCedit is still the go-to choice, yeah. And that structure is generated by Witchery - it's also got a pair of witch spawners. Ive never heard of anyone having trouble with them before, though.

Yeah, it's from witchery alright. Not sure if it's actually the problem or not, I can't even get a crash log yet. Might be some hosed up entity somewhere on the edge of loaded area near the circle which made it suspect. Still trying to track this one down.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

McFrugal posted:

You mean the osmotic enchanter? What were you enchanting, and with what?
I was trying to enchant goggles of revealing with repair 2 using a quartz wand with gold caps.

I'm trying to do this, but it wont let me add the upgrade for some reason? I checked the configs and it looks like all the "Mob_Head_Upgrade" options are set to true, so I don't know.

There's something wrong with blightfall tools. I've been trying to make a hammer and it doesn't appear to look at the hammer ends, just the head and the handle durability at creation, so I've made a paper handle once and tried to replace it later and it not work. I've also tried to add a modifier using a diamond and a gold block but I think those are disabled.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

SugarAddict posted:

I was trying to enchant goggles of revealing with repair 2 using a quartz wand with gold caps.

There's something wrong with blightfall tools. I've been trying to make a hammer and it doesn't appear to look at the hammer ends, just the head and the handle durability at creation, so I've made a paper handle once and tried to replace it later and it not work. I've also tried to add a modifier using a diamond and a gold block but I think those are disabled.

I'm not playing blightfall, I'm using OMP-I. Sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier. :v:

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

Tsubasa2004 posted:

Extra utils sprinklers sadly don't work on Magic Crops, as they apply the bonemeal effect at random which doesn't work on magicrops, same deal with MFR fertilizers. Lamps of growth and lilypads instead accelerate the tick rate on the plants so they have more chances to grow in the same time window, the watering can works the same way, so watering the lilypad, accelrates the lilypad ticks, which in turn accelrates the plants even further. Time torches and any other tick rate accelerators also work (not sure about agricraft sprinklers) and stack

If you want a crazy turbo farm, autonomous activators with reinforced watering cans mounted under 5x5 farms are probably the fastest way im aware of, but if you don't fancy sacrificing your health bar permanently and making octuple compressed cobble, then a bed of lilypads with dirt over the top, covered with one of the light emitting glass types, is pretty drat good, im not sure if it works out better or worse than sacrificing the space for lamps of growth as i'm not that far into TC yet. I have this set up to pretty much produce everything in our current game, via 4 11x11 farms, at a decent clip wtih an ME system regulating it. If anyones interested in how to set it up and such I can post pics later when I'm not phone posting.

Similarly I had set up a flood harvesting system for the basic essence crops as using water to break them means you get the extra weak essence and nature essence drops that you wouldnt with a machine based system. It's pretty straightforward to set up and just needs a redstone timer of some sort, basic hoppers (or any other way of grabbing items from water channels) and dispensers with water buckets.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Arrath posted:

Yeah, it's from witchery alright. Not sure if it's actually the problem or not, I can't even get a crash log yet. Might be some hosed up entity somewhere on the edge of loaded area near the circle which made it suspect. Still trying to track this one down.

Are you using thermal dynamics?

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

central dogma posted:

I was also running into this and I'm pretty sure it's Technomancy that was the problem, and I haven't had it reoccur after updating it to 0.9.0, even with AM2 still in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Halibut Barn posted:

I was also running into this and I'm pretty sure it's Technomancy that was the problem, and I haven't had it reoccur after updating it to 0.9.0, even with AM2 still in.

Where are you getting 0.9.0 ? The latest version of tecnomancy I can find is 0.8.1.
Found it.
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/0-9-0-1-7-10-technomancy-discussion-thread.47481/page-9#post-830141
Google > yahoo for finding stuff.

Trying to get it to run currently.
Deleting the folder that the game didn't like and now it appears to run. Will find out later if it actually does.

SugarAddict fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 28, 2015

• Locked thread