Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

As someone who doesn't vomit when you see TouchWiz, I'd be curious how you feel about Sense in comparison.

As an outsider who hasn't used modern Sense I think it looks quite nice.

I went and familiarized myself with Sense on the M8 so I could have more to go on than just a minute long video.

It might be unpopular in this thread, but I'm a fan of OEMs taking Android and customizing it in ways unique to their devices (as long as they don't stray from Google's fold, i.e. Fire Phone) That said, I wasn't a fan of Sense's "metal" aesthetic, the way UI elements were made to look like they were wrapped in metal, the unlock screen comes to mind. I also hated their trademark clock for some reason even though I was a fan of it back in the Evo days.

The new Sense has none of that, it's slick and stylish and looks distinctively HTC'S, one thing you particularly need to stand out among the sea of Android handsets and something the Chinese makers have already realized. I like the calculator widget and the animations on system elements, Samsung has some but these seem slicker.

As for the upcoming changes I like the Windows Phone-ish look they seem to be going for, and the context sensitive features on Blinkfeed. Samsung finally got context sensitive right with the fantastic "Places" widget, ditching the "Samsung knows best" buddy pages no one ever used for a fully customizable system, if HTC's works something like that I'm on board.

Overall I think HTC is on the right track, with some marketing muscle behind them I can't see a reason why they can't position themselves as strong a brand as Apple and Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

LastInLine posted:

I think in this Wallet discussion you guys are missing the forest for the trees. You're working backward from "This is technically just as good as (or works roughly similar to) ApplePay and it was here first, why don't people adopt it?" instead of "Why is ApplePay being adopted and Wallet being ignored?"

Lots of people here brought up the fact that Google always choosing to cut out partners and rolling a half-finished process are right but I think are still missing the bigger picture.

I think the key issue is trust. People trust Apple. They trust Apple's done their homework, lined up the partners, and rolled out a solution that works well from day one. This goes deeper than just this feature and it goes to the heart of what Desk Lamp said earlier, it goes to enthusiasm on the part of the user base and a willingness to trust that Apple is caring for their ecosystem and you get the former by means of the latter.

I mean in this case the specifics are well known: Google tried to bypass both credit card companies, carriers, and their OEMs in the interest of just taking the data. Carriers put the kibosh on that immediately and created a successful terrorist organization an alternative contactless payment system. Samsung was deep up their own rear end scrambling to get ready for a break from Google and wasn't going to cooperate. And the principle actors that needed to be involved, the credit card companies, weren't at the table either (because that was exactly whose data Google wanted to take). There was no way this wasn't going to fail.

The bigger picture though still remains. Google has a loose coalition of partners, the key member of which was actively hostile toward it. The ecosystem was and still remains to a large degree fragmented and thrown together. And the key point, users had and still have no idea of the relationship between Google, Android, their carrier, and the OEM. This right here is the main thing.

You can't build trust by throwing "Wallet" on a user's Samsung Galaxy S5 and expect them to just throw in their financial data and use it without the Verizon rep pointing out that it's safe, without Samsung saying that this isn't just crapware like all the other crapware on this phone, and most importantly without their credit card companies saying "Hey, use this neat thing on your device!" Why would anyone trust this? Why would anyone not just think that it's another Verizon Navigator wanting you to pay for something Google gives you for free? They wouldn't and they shouldn't.

Now Apple can get away with it because they're Apple. They don't put crapware on their devices and people know and trust this. Carriers can't block them because (going back to Desk Lamp's excellent point) their fans demand their carriers carry the iPhone and Apple won't compromise. Apple doesn't have to get OEM and carrier permissions to install apps and services on their own devices but that's the difference between being a niche product and a commodity (and it bears mentioning that Google is completely fine with this; they care about being on as many devices as possible first and foremost).

The thing is that if you're going to be the commodity OS, then you have to, must, cannot refuse to engage your partners. You can't be both the biggest and most trusted without acknowledging and leveraging (and yes, sharing the spoils with) your partners. Until Google runs the Android ecosystem in a way where everyone benefits, from the partners down to the user, and the user knows, understands, and trusts that ecosystem they'll never be able to launch initiatives like this.

Getting caught up with this thread, just wanted to say that this is one of the most correct posts I've seen in here.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Desk Lamp posted:

It might be unpopular in this thread, but I'm a fan of OEMs taking Android and customizing it in ways unique

People in this thread generally like Sense, so you're not quite the rebel you think.

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Thermopyle posted:

People in this thread generally like Sense, so you're not quite the rebel you think.

It's probably the most transparent OEM launcher, not far removed from vanilla android which is the highest praise you could give a launcher. Memory usage at boot is pretty much a wash between stock 5.01 compared to 4.44 with Sense, which is goddamned impressive considering how trash like Touchwiz can hunger for nearly twice as much as comparable stock 'droid.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Unless the S6 is leagues better on battery life and optics, I'm going M9 all the way. Better camera and battery life (it's my carrier more then the phone) is exactly the two things that would get me to upgrade from an M7. QHD does nothing for me.

Hardware is also at the point where you can get an older snapdragon 6xx-801 phone for 200-300 off contract and it's not like you're stepping back to an HTC hero, so I might just forgo insurance for the first time.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I’m having this odd issue where sms notifications seem to be getting cleared, at least to some degree. I’ll get a text or two and feel/hear my phone vibrate, but there’s no active notification (Droid Turbo). Looking in the notification shade, the Hangouts notification icon is there and I can preview the messages, but, when I unlock my phone, they are showing up on my DashClock widget. The messages are all there and unread when I go into Hangouts, so I don’t know what’s going on. I did have a weird thing happen where I got a text that I read and responded to from PushBullet, but it never showed up on my actual phone (this has happened once before). I’ve also had two friends say they sent me messages that I just never got. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: about the only thing I'm noticing is that it happens when I have more than one unread message

XIII fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 27, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's looking like the N6 is finally going to launch on Verizon on the 12th and it's also looking like it's going to launch with 5.1.

The reason for that may be that's when built in VoLTE support is arriving in L, at least according to screenshots.

http://phandroid.com/2015/02/26/exclusive-verizon-nexus-6-march-12-android-5-1-volte-support/

That suddenly makes a ton of things make more sense. The 2014 Moto X on L doesn't have advanced calling on Verizon. The Turbo is Verizon's flagship phone, so they probably didn't want move it to Lollipop until Advanced Calling is sorted out at the OS level. There's some indication that the N6 was supposed to launch today which might hint at a holdup in 5.1. This could also be the reason for the botched soak test for the Turbo right now as well. It's completely possible they were planning on doing 5.1 with this rollout and had to pull it at the last minute, substituting a small bug fix patch instead (build date for the update is a full week after the soak test was supposed to start.)

The SGS5 on Verizon on Lollipop does have Advanced calling, but I'm guessing it was a modification that Samsung made to the OS rather than native support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

And now to muddy waters even further on the whole Mobile Payment thing, Visa announced today that they have their own initutive to bring mobile payments directly to individual banking apps.

http://pressreleases.visa.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=215693&p=irol-newsarticlePR&ID=2020663

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Feb. 26, 2015-- Visa Inc. (NYSE:V) today announced that it has partnered with several leading financial institutions around the world to offer new mobile payment services. BBVA and Cuscal launched new issuer-branded mobile payment applications for mobile devices running on the Android operating system. Additionally Banco do Brazil, PNC Bank, N.A., and U.S. Bank intend to launch similar capabilities in the near future.

To use these new mobile payment services, consumers simply download their financial institution’s mobile payment app from the Google Play store. Following a one-time enrollment process, customers of participating financial institutions who download and install the application will be able to pay in-store with their Visa accounts by waving their Android mobile phone in front of a contactless reader. These capabilities are an integral part of Visa Digital Solutions, a comprehensive suite of offerings that facilitate secure payments across a broad range of Internet-connected devices and wearables.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I'm trying to decide on a phone or tablet or something that I can use to take notes in OneNote. How is the current Samsung S-Pen? And how well does it work with Android's version of OneNote? Are the Note 4 and Note Edge significantly different in a way that would affect notation?

Edge is a limited release concept device (main differnce from regular Note 4 is that it does not support GearVR).
I don't use OneNote but installed it and it fully suports the S-Pen including pressure.
Edit: writing in onenote seems to be a bit slower than S-Note.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 27, 2015

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It's looking like the N6 is finally going to launch on Verizon on the 12th and it's also looking like it's going to launch with 5.1.

The reason for that may be that's when built in VoLTE support is arriving in L, at least according to screenshots.

http://phandroid.com/2015/02/26/exclusive-verizon-nexus-6-march-12-android-5-1-volte-support/

That suddenly makes a ton of things make more sense. The 2014 Moto X on L doesn't have advanced calling on Verizon. The Turbo is Verizon's flagship phone, so they probably didn't want move it to Lollipop until Advanced Calling is sorted out at the OS level. There's some indication that the N6 was supposed to launch today which might hint at a holdup in 5.1. This could also be the reason for the botched soak test for the Turbo right now as well. It's completely possible they were planning on doing 5.1 with this rollout and had to pull it at the last minute, substituting a small bug fix patch instead (build date for the update is a full week after the soak test was supposed to start.)

The SGS5 on Verizon on Lollipop does have Advanced calling, but I'm guessing it was a modification that Samsung made to the OS rather than native support.

Why the half baked, lovely iteration of volte on the turbo first, in that case?

That's really interesting, regardless though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

this_is_hard posted:

They did a similarly bad one on the Maxx that also required a second OTA to patch it up, so maybe the code to implement VoLTE in 4.4 was similar enough that it could be shared.

It didn't really even add anything special to the Maxx, because it did simultaneous voice and data in the first place. The Turbo was the first that wouldn't without VoLTE support.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rusty! posted:

I have a Note II LTE that has some burn in. It's not massively noticeable, but its there.
My wife used her Note II with very heavy screen on time and has had it since around release. There is noticeable but burn in you can see when the status bar is hidden and that's it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

this_is_hard posted:

Because I'm pretty sure the priorities for the Turbo were VoLTE ASAP to bring it in line with last year's model. It's possible they did manage to get Advanced Calling in an earlier version of Lollipop than 5.1, but the scuttled it at the last minute.

I may be off base, but things may have went down like this.

Soak test invites went out on January 28th.

Usually, they start within a few days to a week of the invite. 5.1 was spotted on Android One devices on Feb 4th, one week after the soak test invite. 5.1 was also seen testing on Nexus 6 devices as well.

I'm betting the update for the Turbo was 5.0.2 similar to what the Moto MAXX got. But, 5.1 likely dropped around that time and Motorola had a choice to make. Push 5.0.2 and get pushed to the back of the queue for the next round of updates with Verizon or push a smaller bug fix to address immediate issues which would allow them to do a bigger push with Verizon sooner rather than later.

They chose the bug fix route, and did a brand new build (evidenced by the build date of the 6th) which then had to clear internal testing before they could push it to the soak testers, causing the long delay.

This wouldn't be the first time Moto did this. This also happened with the Droid MAXX where they pulled the 4.4.3 update at the 11th hour to push a bug fixer to 4.4.2 because 4.4.4 just dropped.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

XIII posted:

I’m having this odd issue where sms notifications seem to be getting cleared, at least to some degree. I’ll get a text or two and feel/hear my phone vibrate, but there’s no active notification (Droid Turbo). Looking in the notification shade, the Hangouts notification icon is there and I can preview the messages, but, when I unlock my phone, they are showing up on my DashClock widget. The messages are all there and unread when I go into Hangouts, so I don’t know what’s going on. I did have a weird thing happen where I got a text that I read and responded to from PushBullet, but it never showed up on my actual phone (this has happened once before). I’ve also had two friends say they sent me messages that I just never got. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: about the only thing I'm noticing is that it happens when I have more than one unread message

Exact thing happens to me to the point that I check hangouts general message thread view anytime I don't check my phone for a while...sometimes active notify will have half or none of the messages.

No other app does this happen with other than hangouts. Gmail/inbox will sometimes continuously post an email until I read or archive it, however.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hangouts notifications definitely seem broken. I regularly get SMS or Hangouts messages that don't notify me.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I just have to express how hilarious it is that the blogpost-commentators-at-large are denouncing the HTC One M9 based on what it's rumored to look like -- the latest leak suggests a look very similar to the M8. I can understand M8 owners not seeing a need to upgrade, but people are just trashing it for resembling one of last year's best-looking smartphones. Others are passing on it for having "the black bar", AKA about 4mm of bezel space at the bottom. People can be so fickle, but I guess it's kinda inherent when most are forced into owning (and paying for) the device for two years.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

enojy posted:

I just have to express how hilarious it is that the blogpost-commentators-at-large are denouncing the HTC One M9 based on what it's rumored to look like -- the latest leak suggests a look very similar to the M8. I can understand M8 owners not seeing a need to upgrade, but people are just trashing it for resembling one of last year's best-looking smartphones. Others are passing on it for having "the black bar", AKA about 4mm of bezel space at the bottom. People can be so fickle, but I guess it's kinda inherent when most are forced into owning (and paying for) the device for two years.

All of these valid complaints about HTC's phones still add up to the fact that it's better than getting a Samsung.

Sony, on the other hand, maybe not. Let's hope they announce a Z4 at MWC.

I wonder who's going to announce new bigphones this year (5.9''+). HTC, Sony perhaps.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

With a SGS5 is it worth switching to Lolipop from Kitkat? Or is it still in the buggy beta stage? I like the looks of it and the features it brings, but I dunno if it's worth any trouble that might come up with it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Spaced God posted:

With a SGS5 is it worth switching to Lolipop from Kitkat? Or is it still in the buggy beta stage? I like the looks of it and the features it brings, but I dunno if it's worth any trouble that might come up with it.

I was really, really, really looking forward to Lollipop. Then I got it. Smart unlock is awesome and lock screen notifications fixed my biggest complaint about Android over iOS. Otherwise, meh, it wasn't worth it to be as excited as I was. Battery life was a huge improvement though.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Three Olives posted:

I was really, really, really looking forward to Lollipop. Then I got it. Smart unlock is awesome and lock screen notifications fixed my biggest complaint about Android over iOS. Otherwise, meh, it wasn't worth it to be as excited as I was. Battery life was a huge improvement though.

Is the stock lock screen more difficult to butt dial emergency services with? I had a few close calls and a 911 butt dial (in a school, which may have made that even worse if I hadn't caught it) so I had to start using a lock screen before I got to the fingerprint unlock. How big is the improvement for battery life for you?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Spaced God posted:

Friend with a SGS5 says his battery is worse after the upgrade and he's getting launcher and app redraws and has problems playing videos. In other words, the standard issues that early lollipop had, and he got the update just a few weeks ago.

The phone itself says it's 5.0.1 in settings, but I don't know if samsung backported some of the fixes from 5.0.2. Probably not.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Is the stock lock screen more difficult to butt dial emergency services with? I had a few close calls and a 911 butt dial (in a school, which may have made that even worse if I hadn't caught it) so I had to start using a lock screen before I got to the fingerprint unlock. How big is the improvement for battery life for you?

Oh, sorry, I have an LG G3. The battery life improvement is significant, I would say at least 40%

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The G3 doesn't really have a proper Lollipop UI anyway - more like a Lollipop that has been rolled in some dogshit.

It actually looks and behaves very similarly to what it did on 4.4 - same status bar icons, same quick toggles, same unlock animations, same dialer, same everything is giant aesthetic.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I know this isn't the thread (is there a thread?) but what's the deal with wireless charging?

Assuming your phone supports it, is there a charger that people like more than others? Is it worth it? I've heard that you can overheat or gently caress up your phone if it's not on the pad correctly.

Do you guys do it? Would you recommend it over just plugging your phone into a surge protector?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
If you get one by Vu you don't have to futz with it and it's in a nice orientation (no idea on the new pad). Since it has multiple coils you don't have to worry about positioning. On the other hand you have new phones with Turbo charging that'll go from dead to full in 1.5 hours if you use plug in charging. Wireless charging is somewhat less useful when you can charge so fast.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I use both turbo charging and wireless charging almost every day. They both serve different purposes. Turbo Charging is definitely amazing though, can't imagine going back to a phone without it.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

My Launch S4 definitely has (reverse?) burn in. The screen is way brighter where the all black notification bar at the top of screen used to live before colored/transparent bars.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

nerve posted:

I use both turbo charging and wireless charging almost every day. They both serve different purposes. Turbo Charging is definitely amazing though, can't imagine going back to a phone without it.

I have a wireless Nokia charger on my desk because it will charge both my Turbo and my 360 (but I almost never use it, because they are both pretty good about battery life.) The charger that came with the Turbo is astonishing, and I cannot imagine not having it either.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
What's a good 100-200 dollar tablet for someone who just wants to read comics,books and browse the net?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mogomra posted:

I know this isn't the thread (is there a thread?) but what's the deal with wireless charging?

Assuming your phone supports it, is there a charger that people like more than others? Is it worth it? I've heard that you can overheat or gently caress up your phone if it's not on the pad correctly.

Do you guys do it? Would you recommend it over just plugging your phone into a surge protector?
Tylt Vu

ChazTurbo posted:

What's a good 100-200 dollar tablet for someone who just wants to read comics,books and browse the net?
Refurb 2013 N7 off of eBay

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
FYI don't bring your N7 to lollipop unless you want terrible standby battery life and overall worse SoT

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Went through McDonald's drive through for my daily iced tea and they added a sign saying "pay with your phone". Front and center was a Google Wallet logo and text with much smaller Apple Pay and SoftCard logos to the side.

I can only think Google paid them for the privilege...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

MikusR posted:

Edge is a limited release concept device (main differnce from regular Note 4 is that it does not support GearVR).
I don't use OneNote but installed it and it fully suports the S-Pen including pressure.
Edit: writing in onenote seems to be a bit slower than S-Note.

Thanks for this. Ended up getting the Edge and I'm very very pleased with it!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Hace posted:

FYI don't bring your N7 to lollipop unless you want terrible standby battery life and overall worse SoT

Actually do bring it to lollipop since it's random whether you'll get better/worse/same and lollipop is overall better if you're lucky like me and get the same battery experience. Since it's a Nexus device, it's completely trivial to downgrade back to 4.4 if you're unlucky and get poo poo battery life.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

DemonMage posted:

Actually do bring it to lollipop since it's random whether you'll get better/worse/same and lollipop is overall better if you're lucky like me and get the same battery experience. Since it's a Nexus device, it's completely trivial to downgrade back to 4.4 if you're unlucky and get poo poo battery life.

Just don't bring your 2012 to Lollipop. :negative: Such a mistake...

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

DemonMage posted:

Can you explain how to downgrade back to 4.4? I've done some Googling, but it all seems pretty complicated (downloading and installing batch files, opening ports, so on and so forth). I've tried factory resetting it, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

My 2012 Nexus 7 has become pretty much an expensive paperweight since the upgrade. I'm surprised Google hasn't said anything about how to fix the performance issues.

Pinball fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 28, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

DemonMage posted:

5.1 will probably be out in two weeks, I would wait.

Pinball posted:

Can you explain how to downgrade back to 4.4? My 2012 Nexus 7 has become pretty much an expensive paperweight since the upgrade. I'm surprised Google hasn't said anything about how to fix the performance issues.
Instructions and factory images from Google. You'll want to go with 4.4.4 for sure because of the security issues with OpenSSL in prior versions.

zocio
Nov 3, 2011
Quick question for people with wireless chargers, how severe / noticeable will the loss of efficiency will be if I use a 1 amp input on a charger that requires 1.5 amps?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

zocio posted:

Quick question for people with wireless chargers, how severe / noticeable will the loss of efficiency will be if I use a 1 amp input on a charger that requires 1.5 amps?
It will either not charge at all or charge slower.
Why would you use a smaller ac wart than what it comes with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

ilkhan posted:

It will either not charge at all or charge slower.
Why would you use a smaller ac wart than what it comes with?
The cheap ones come with a USB cable and no charger.