Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Tender Bender posted:

That's pretty much the turning point in when the game really Gets Good, so if it appealed to you up until that point you should really pick it up again and play from the Forest Temple to the end.

Everything about it appealed to me. It was just the controls. It was like having a 200$ steak cooked to perfection covered in glass. Every bite is delicious, but I have to go through immense pain to enjoy it.

Based on what everyone is saying I'll be picking it up sometime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ddogflex posted:

I'm so sorry. I had no idea this would happen.

That being said, all you assholes are really making me want to buy a 3DS now to play OOT and Majora's Mask.

good buy a 3ds

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

One of the things Nintendo did incredibly well, is adding personality to the gameworld and Link. Link is full of amazing little quirks and personality. The facial expressions he makes, and the way his character interacts with the world, and moves around, is top notch stuff and some of the best looking animation in a video game. I don't know if the other 3D Zeldas were like this, but it makes me not nearly as excited for Zelda Wii U until I know that Link is going to be similar.

I have a feeling it's going to be a "realistic Link" kinda game as opposed to "toon Link" but all I have to base that off was that super-vague footage from last E3.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

ddogflex posted:

I'm so sorry. I had no idea this would happen.

That being said, all you assholes are really making me want to buy a 3DS now to play OOT and Majora's Mask.

Good, you should do that :colbert:

You could also get LBW and many, many other 3DS games. Also if you don't care about the nu3DS you can probably get a regular one for a decent price off eBay or SA-Mart since everyone is upgrading.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Playing Majora's Mask with the Circle Pad Pro is great, I had to get out of the habit of constantly pressing L to centre the cemera. You can zoom the camera out pretty far too, and unlike the Gamecube games it's not inverted on the X-axis.

Didn't they say this remake was in development for three years? That's three times as long as it originally took to make. However, they definitely redesigned the game to be less obtuse, since a lot of players ran into the same problems at the start.

I'm hoping we see more HD remasters on the Wii U, especially Gamecube games like F-Zero GX and Paper Mario: TTYD. Even if it's just one team working on them, they could probably get at least two out each year and help fill up the release schedule.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I'm hoping we see more HD remasters on the Wii U, especially Gamecube games like F-Zero GX and Paper Mario: TTYD. Even if it's just one team working on them, they could probably get at least two out each year and help fill up the release schedule.

You picked two of the best looking GC games

Though F-Zero GX with online play would be fuckin incredible

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

I have a feeling it's going to be a "realistic Link" kinda game as opposed to "toon Link" but all I have to base that off was that super-vague footage from last E3.

He looked like a cartoon, just a cartoon if a teenager or adult instead of a child.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

raditts posted:

They're probably going to do it in the style of Skyward Sword, cartoony like a diet Wind Waker but somewhat serious like Twilight Princess with a sprinkling of goofy here and there.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Looper posted:

You picked two of the best looking GC games

Though F-Zero GX with online play would be fuckin incredible

They are gorgeous, but sadly Paper Mario: TTYD has loads of problems if you try to force 16:9 in Dolphin, and F-Zero GX can bring any computer to its knees.

The N64 versions of Paper Mario and F-Zero would be great with a new coat of paint. F-Zero X, being one of the few 3D 60fps games on the system, rendered distant cars as a single triangle, and had to use mono sound because audio was handled by the N64's CPU, and they needed all the performance they could get from it. Finally getting the N64DD's track editor would be amazing too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

That loving Sned posted:

They are gorgeous, but sadly Paper Mario: TTYD has loads of problems if you try to force 16:9 in Dolphin, and F-Zero GX can bring any computer to its knees.

The N64 versions of Paper Mario and F-Zero would be great with a new coat of paint. F-Zero X, being one of the few 3D 60fps games on the system, rendered distant cars as a single triangle, and had to use mono sound because audio was handled by the N64's CPU, and they needed all the performance they could get from it. Finally getting the N64DD's track editor would be amazing too.

As much as I'd love an excuse to play TTYD again, the game is basically fine as-is and seeing it in HD wouldn't make as much of a difference as it would for say, Mario Sunshine or Metroid Prime. I'd just like another Paper Mario game, seeing as TTYD was the last in the series.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Alright, beat Hyrule Warriors Legend Mode, I guess now is where the game begins for real when I dive into Adventure Mode.

Though I think I need a break from beating up thousands of mooks so I'll finish up Kirby's Adventure Wii first.

zincaito
Nov 18, 2003

i love adventures
I just finished Wind Waker HD and really enjoyed it, having only played the first dungeon of the original version and not continuing for some reason. The Swift Sail is awesome, and I actually found exploring the map really relaxing. My wife won't stop making the "QUE?!" sound of the map fish because I explored every map square in one shot at the beginning.

Anyway, I'm selling my copy in SA-Mart if anyone's interested.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

zincaito posted:

My wife won't stop making the "QUE?!" sound of the map fish because I explored every map square in one shot at the beginning.

Reminds me of when I was in college and my friends would always reference the "OIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" calls.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I expected everyone to rejoice that DKC was released, not another Zelda bitchfest.

That said, I'm surprised no one mentioned that Spirit Tracks has a bitch of a difficulty curve. Phantom Hourglass is a walk in the breeze, but Tracks pushes way too far in the other direction. The game starts demanding a crazy level of precision that the stylus controls really work against.

Also, I totally failed at Skyword Sword's motion controls, largely because i remember just enough of a delay in movement to throw me off. Reminded me of playing videogames on a friend's huge 40" TV back in college... that had a huge delay (refresh rate?) to the point where we all had to adjust tactics whenever we played anything slightly twitchy.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Late to this party, but Captain Toad is really solid. It's fantastic to see the 3D World engine applied in such an interesting way, and the puzzles and stages are all really tightly designed. Getting the bonus objectives is appropriately challenging without being particularly frustrating, the character and sound designs are adorable and basically this game sums up everything great about Nintendo games. I even enjoy the notion of a non-Mario Mario character having adventures in the world and taking on Mario-sized challenges with a significant handicap. I'd definitely love to see more of these games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Captain Toad is a good collectathon

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Narcissus1916 posted:

I expected everyone to rejoice that DKC was released, not another Zelda bitchfest.

That said, I'm surprised no one mentioned that Spirit Tracks has a bitch of a difficulty curve. Phantom Hourglass is a walk in the breeze, but Tracks pushes way too far in the other direction. The game starts demanding a crazy level of precision that the stylus controls really work against.

what exactly is demanding a "crazy level of percision"?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The Demon Trains were kind of dicks, but at this point I'm happy to see anything that's actually a threat in a modern Zelda game.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Motto posted:

The Demon Trains were kind of dicks, but at this point I'm happy to see anything that's actually a threat in a modern Zelda game.

I never beat the final fight where you had to collect the golden gems and then kill the demon trains. I tried for like a good couple hours and then eventually just gave up.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

DKC 2 is just as good as I remember.
Being able to play on the Gamepad while my son marathons Thomas is great.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I posted about this earlier, but I've been playing thru the DKC games (in prep for Tropical Freeze) a few weeks ago and I have to admit that a lot of my love for the series was largely nostalgia.

The DKC games get one thing really, really right - polish. I know they're not exactly comparable, but I've always loved how the games control. Donkey (or Diddy) has a wonderful weight to him without feeling completely unwieldy. Its hard to explain just how many SNES era games cocked that up.

And man, the music. I don't think I've ever seen a game that gains so much from such a glorious soundtrack.

Played today, DKC is still a finely made platformer. Its just that it lacks the sheer inventiveness or rich difficulty balance of the original 2d mario titles.

DKC2 is pretty loving rad though. A host of minor improvements add up to a major upgrade. The importance and well-crafted design of bonus room placement might be my favorite "collect the thing" mechanic in any platformer. The music and atmosphere and generally darker aesthetic are aided by a difficulty curve that feels earned and well-honed.

I'm playing DKC3 and forcing myself to bang on through it. Its not bad, exactly. Its just a clear step down in a lot of ways, lacking the love that the first two games had in abundance.

It is however, infinitely more fun if you imagine this entry as "Donkey Kong in Canada."

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I did want to pick up tropical freeze eventually, I might have to jump on this deal. Were any of the GB games ever any good? With a GB game +tropical freeze the bundle comes out to less than $40 :v:

Edit: also when do we get Platinum rewards this year? I know they pushed it up earlier and I'm curious if we'll get windwaker again. Wii U has too many good games

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I did want to pick up tropical freeze eventually, I might have to jump on this deal. Were any of the GB games ever any good? With a GB game +tropical freeze the bundle comes out to less than $40 :v:

Edit: also when do we get Platinum rewards this year? I know they pushed it up earlier and I'm curious if we'll get windwaker again. Wii U has too many good games

The first Donkey Kong Land is not good. The second one is okay. I haven't played the third.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Gameboy ones feel like basically licensed NES platformers, but pretty good ones with good graphics and soundtrack and secrets.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

DK Land games was cool for the time and did a good job at bringing the series to GB but not really worth playing now unless you're really curious.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

DK Land 2 got me through many trips to my grandparents house, I think I beat it every summer for like five years straight.

MaxDuo posted:

Reminds me of when I was in college and my friends would always reference the "OIIIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" calls.

Beedle's groans are great, and bringing him back is another thing Skyward Sword gets right. A lot of Skyward Sword's NPC's are really great, actually.

HMC
May 18, 2009

Donkey Kong Land is mechanically kind of a nightmare. Really tough if you're used to how the SNES games control. It's the most unique of the three, though. They tried to make locations and level features that are actually different from DKC1. DKL2 controls better but most of the levels are taken directly from DKC2 and dumbed down. DKL3, IIRC, is probably the strongest on its own. It's aesthetically still the same as DKC3, but the levels are a unique, and it controls alright. It's a shame we didn't get the colorized japan-only GBC port.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Theta Zero posted:

They're probably going to do it in the style of Skyward Sword, cartoony like a diet Wind Waker but somewhat serious like Twilight Princess with a sprinkling of goofy here and there.

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
Is there a way I can play super mario galaxy, or super mario galaxy 2 on the Wii U in HD?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

jaik3n posted:

Is there a way I can play super mario galaxy, or super mario galaxy 2 on the Wii U in HD?

Mario Galaxy 2 is available on the Wii U eShop; its not true HD though. It'll look a bit better than it did on the Wii, but they didn't actually go through and update the art assets.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Has Bayonetta gone on sale?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

PRADA SLUT posted:

Has Bayonetta gone on sale?

No, but if you buy one game, the other one drops so that you end up paying $60 to own both Bayonettas digitally.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Why would you spend full retail price on a digital good when you can get it for substantially less than retail physically? Especially when you would then have the option to resell later.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
So uh fire emblem on gba is the poo poo?

I downloaded it off the e shop after reading some reviews and now I can't put it down.

It reminds me of ogre battle or something. Pretty awesome.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Waltzing Along posted:

Why would you spend full retail price on a digital good when you can get it for substantially less than retail physically? Especially when you would then have the option to resell later.

Because I'm lazy and don't value my money as much when it comes to games. If I cared enough about price, I wouldn't buy any games at release either physical or digital. As it is, I have enough disposable income to buy what I'm interested in when I feel like it and digital is easier than going to the store or waiting for amazon and I like having instant access to everything. At home I don't have to look for a case and keep track of discs, on my 3DS I have the ability to switch between a dozen full games and another dozen eShop games. It's the future, mannnnn.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Feb 28, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Because I'm lazy and don't value my money. It's the future, mannnnn.

:911:

jaik3n
Sep 18, 2009
Thanks for letting me know about SM Galaxy.

Can you pair 2 gamepads with 1 wii u? my roommate and i both have wii u's and it'd be super easy if we could use them both as controllers on one system

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

jaik3n posted:

Thanks for letting me know about SM Galaxy.

Can you pair 2 gamepads with 1 wii u? my roommate and i both have wii u's and it'd be super easy if we could use them both as controllers on one system

Nope, that may come later though.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
SMG 2 costs 25€ here new, when it was only 10€ that's basically less than a cheap bottle of bourbon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Bayonetta is $20 more on Amazon than the eShop.

Plus, gently caress having game boxes and discs and poo poo to keep track of.

• Locked thread