Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juniper
Dec 12, 2007

This is not war,
This is pest control!
Another Mirena trip report!

I had mine replaced (got the first in 2008, it went from approved for 5 years to 7 while I had it) on Thursday. Last time I had a pretty bad vasovagal reaction to the poking at the cervix and had to lie down for about an hour. This time, it wasn't as bad, but I still had to stay lying down for a while. I think I walked out of the office an hour and a half after I walked in. They gave me orange juice and graham crackers, which helped.

Oy, the pain. I took 800mg of Ibuprofen beforehand, and they had the numbing gel for the cervix and inserted some lidocaine via the sounding thingy, which I thought was rather clever, and it was still pretty bad. Thirding Toritori's experience, except that rather than driving home I had to walk about a mile to public transit. My mom very kindly came with me in case I fell over. I didn't fall over, but I've been alternating between vague blah feelings of the torso and pretty major cramps ever since. (Humor: my mom didn't realize the cramping could last this long and she's now feeling my IUD expulsion paranoia worse than I was. Sorry, Mom!) And I can kind of feel the string, which is just weird after so many years of having the string be softened and kind of tucked around the cervix where I couldn't even reach it. On the positive side, I had almost no spotting. I basically haven't had a period since 2008 and I'm hoping that I'll be lucky and stay in that percentage of Mirena users.

Ibuprofen and my heating pad are my friends, but even when the cramping gets really bad, it's not as bad as I used to get years ago where my whole body would just feel so tired that I could barely move. I can walk to and from the ferry and work, and I've gone to all three of my dance classes this week. So, hurrah for more years without kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Save me jeebus posted:

Another Mirena insertion trip report: I had an experience similar to Toriori's. Did manage to drive myself home (~30 minutes) but it was a white-knuckled affair during which I felt every single irregularity in the road.

Insertion was 4 hours ago, and I still have really, really bad cramps. I seem to be in that small percentage of women with fairly severe insertion pain. The sounding was awful, too. :(

I took 800mg ibuprofen at my lunch break two hours prior to the insertion and just dropped my second 800mg dose and heavy use of the heating pad.

I had a pretty mild insertion all things considered and even then, the rest of the day was kind of crappy. Lots of cramps and just generally sore in the whole area - lived off ibuprofen and heat pads. By the next day I felt much much better and just occasionally would have a random cramp or something.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

Geolicious posted:

I'm 99.9% positive you will feel better tomorrow.
Waaaay better today. Now it's more like the occasional, normal "period" cramp. Hooray to five years with no babies!

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Juniper posted:

Another Mirena trip report!

I had mine replaced (got the first in 2008, it went from approved for 5 years to 7 while I had it) on Thursday.

Where do you live? I know Mirena is approved for 7 years in parts of Europe but not in the U.S. yet, right?

So, this is not a recent trip report but I have had two Mirena insertions, not because I had the first one in for 5 years, but because my first one was non-FDA approved! Yeah, that was fun. I was one of the patients involved in this scandal a few years ago: http://blogs.findlaw.com/injured/2010/07/suit-filed-in-unapproved-iud-case.html (Summary: A bunch of ob-gyn practices in Rhode Island committed insurance fraud by importing Canadian IUDs at a fraction of the U.S. price and charging insurances for the full price. I have no doubt that Canadian IUDs are perfectly safe and effective but the whole thing was skeevy and I got it replaced basically for emotional peace of mind.)

My two insertions weren't bad, though. Sounding the uterus during the first insertion made me nearly jump off the table and almost not go through with it, but after she numbed my cervix with lidocaine I didn't really feel anything else. The second insertion (which I got elsewhere, obviously) I made my doctor give me the lidocaine before sounding and I didn't feel anything. I guess I'm lucky in how I respond to paracervical blocks and cervical/uterine stimulation generally, because I've seen lots of patients who a) have a really difficult time with the lido itself and b) are in a ton of pain despite the lido. (I used to work at a Planned Parenthood and assisted with lots of IUD inserts and surgical abortions.) Anecdotally I have a friend who had a vasovagal episode from insertion and another friend who needed to take misoprostol to dilate her cervix after several failed insertion attempts, so I definitely feel fortunate.

Only some mild cramping following both insertions and I haven't had a period in years. I'm thinking I'm going to leave this one in for 7 years, too. I'm coming up on the 5 year mark this summer and I just don't really feel like replacing it when there's solid evidence it's effective for longer. (I guess FDA approval is not the be-all end-all.)

boquiabierta fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 15, 2015

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Do the hormone-y type of IUDs have any of the same non-baby-prevention benefits of bc pills? I've been taking yaz for several years (originally prescribed to help with PCOS side-effects, which it's great at), but I'm not always 100% about doing it on time. That wasn't a problem when I was single, since I was either not having sex or using condoms for hookups, but I'm in a relationship now and I'd like to be able to not use condoms, but also be more confident that I won't get pregnant than I am currently.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
There is a higher risk of benign ovarian cysts with both types of IUDs but the hormonal IUDs do result in lighter, shorter periods for most women and even stops periods in about 20% of women.

My personal anecdotal experience is a missing period but I do have a couple of days a month of really bad cramps. Nothing ibu can't handle but worse than back in my pill days. Still 100% worth virtual baby proofing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Do the hormone-y type of IUDs have any of the same non-baby-prevention benefits of bc pills? I've been taking yaz for several years (originally prescribed to help with PCOS side-effects, which it's great at), but I'm not always 100% about doing it on time. That wasn't a problem when I was single, since I was either not having sex or using condoms for hookups, but I'm in a relationship now and I'd like to be able to not use condoms, but also be more confident that I won't get pregnant than I am currently.

It does, it also has the bad parts but all that varies by the user. Mirena's hormone seems to cause acne more frequently but it can also make your periods go away so that's cool.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Kerfuffle posted:

It does, it also has the bad parts but all that varies by the user. Mirena's hormone seems to cause acne more frequently but it can also make your periods go away so that's cool.

Geolicious posted:

There is a higher risk of benign ovarian cysts with both types of IUDs but the hormonal IUDs do result in lighter, shorter periods for most women and even stops periods in about 20% of women.

My personal anecdotal experience is a missing period but I do have a couple of days a month of really bad cramps. Nothing ibu can't handle but worse than back in my pill days. Still 100% worth virtual baby proofing.

I already have benign cysts even being on the pill, and they also cause CRAZY BANANAS cramps, but that's good to know. I'll ask my ob/gyn what his advice is (yay health insurance).

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy
I have a history of benign cysts (which is why I went on the pill in the first place) but none of them caused any problems beyond some hella pain. I discussed it with my gyno who did my Mirena and she didn't seem to think the risk was *that* much more than just my ovaries doing their own thing and so far she's been right. But again, that's Geolicious' experience and no one else's. But def talk to your doc.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Update for me a month later. Went for my four week follow up for my Mirena today and it was not really good news. I think It's had mentioned here some bad abdominal pain, there was a bit today and today my doctor said he could feel tenderness....and he couldn't feel the strings. I have an ultrasound in two weeks and a follow up with him April 1st. :sigh:
Now I'm all wigged out that it's not going to have the same baby preventing aspects, anyone familiar with such a situation?

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 26, 2015

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I think it still works if it's in there but out of place. It'll just be harder to remove later. Not sure what they might recommend.

Of course, it doesn't work if it expels.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Would I have seen or felt it had it been expelled? :ohdear:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Toriori posted:

Would I have seen or felt it had it been expelled? :ohdear:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

Speaking of IUDs, has anyone in this thread had any experience with Skyla? I know it's still relatively new.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Speaking of Skyla/new IUDs, another one was just approved!

http://www.medicaldaily.com/liletta-actavis-hormonal-contraceptive-device-wins-fda-approval-323770

I'm not sure how Liletta is different than Mirena and Skyla, which both also release levonorgestrel, but hey we have approximately 20 brands of pill for every hormone combination so it's probably just capitalism.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

boquiabierta posted:

so it's probably just capitalism.

Yeah it's not made by Bayer, so it's probably another drug company putting its fingers into the pie.

edit: Which in this case I am kinda OK with it because maybe it will mean more marketing/education about IUDs and get them into the hands, as it were, of more women who would benefit from them.

Geolicious fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 1, 2015

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

boquiabierta posted:

Speaking of Skyla/new IUDs, another one was just approved!

http://www.medicaldaily.com/liletta-actavis-hormonal-contraceptive-device-wins-fda-approval-323770

I'm not sure how Liletta is different than Mirena and Skyla, which both also release levonorgestrel, but hey we have approximately 20 brands of pill for every hormone combination so it's probably just capitalism.

It seems to be a different shape than Mirena or Skyla, if this picture I found with an articles is it:

Hormone-wise, it releases 18.6 micrograms of progestin initially which is more than Skyla (14 mcg), but less than Mirena (20 mcg) so you could look at it as a happy medium between the two I guess. This page is pretty informative if you're into lots of medical info.

Kimmalah fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 1, 2015

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

I feel like I'm looking at an ad for women's razors.

One more weird plus for Paraguard, I'm able to participate in a couples dynamic study and make some side money because they need women in long term hetero relationships not using hormonal birth control but also trying to prevent pregnancy (a concept many people on reddit had trouble grasping, but whatever, we do a survey a night and make some extra $)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

ilysespieces posted:

women in long term hetero relationships not using hormonal birth control but also trying to prevent pregnancy (a concept many people on reddit had trouble grasping

:what:

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Phadedsky posted:

Speaking of IUDs, has anyone in this thread had any experience with Skyla? I know it's still relatively new.

I'm interested in hearing about Skyla, too. I've had a Nexplanon implant since July 2013 after a failed Mirena attempt, but have gained massive amounts of weight on it and get a period every two weeks. I really want to give an IUD another go.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

I feel like I'm looking at an ad for women's razors.

One more weird plus for Paraguard, I'm able to participate in a couples dynamic study and make some side money because they need women in long term hetero relationships not using hormonal birth control but also trying to prevent pregnancy (a concept many people on reddit had trouble grasping, but whatever, we do a survey a night and make some extra $)

I have no idea if that's actually the IUD or not. I saw other articles about it that obviously just GIS'd "IUD" and had pictures of Paragard.

The survey thing sounds interesting, considering I fall into the same category. Is it like an online thing or some kind of focus group deal?

"What" on the first part or the redditor part?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
The reddit part

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Scudworth posted:

The reddit part

I see. Somehow it doesn't surprise me that some parts of reddit wouldn't be too informed about women's issues or human relationships. :v:

Petite Puppet
Nov 7, 2007
touch the puppet head.

Phadedsky posted:

I came here because I just got one! And I can't tell if I should be concerned about what I'm experiencing...

I got my Skyla on Feb 6th after no BC for about two years. I had severe migraines while on a low-dose combo pill, and eventually a doctor at my university clinic HIGHLY recommended I stopped because of the stroke-like symptoms I was experiencing with the auras. I felt immediately better after stopping the pill. My cycle normalized after a few months and besides mild to severe cramps (which I've always had and pretty much can tolerate), I felt great.

The insertion itself wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, mostly just shocked me because cramps don't come on that fast naturally. I had an awful afternoon after insertion (nausea/vomiting, sweating, cramps like a powerdrill to the pelvis), but took a nap and woke up feeling monumentally better! I had a little bit of spotting and some more mild cramps every few hours for the two weeks after but it wasn't anything super concerning. After two weeks, I did a string check (very short but still there) and instantly it felt like reinsertion all over again. It was horrible and scary but it dissipated after a few hours. The cramps haven't been endless but they definitely come and go in waves every day, particularly bad in the morning and before bedtime.

I recently started seeing someone and on Thursday we finally managed to do the deed, after me obviously warning him that I might need to stop him halfway through if I felt uncomfortable. To my surprise there was absolutely NO pain or trouble during sex, and I was super excited about that! I had mild cramps the morning after but nothing alarming.

Which brings me to today. I think I might have started my period (insertion definitely threw my cycle off and I haven't had it yet), and the cramping is significantly worse. But what concerns me more is that I checked for the strings again and they are nowhere to be found, and it feels like my cervix ITSELF shifted over a little. Could they have been knocked up into it during sex? Should I try and make an appointment earlier than my follow-up (which is on the 20th)? I knew the first few months were going to be a struggle cramps-wise, but I'm just really concerned because I can't tell if this is the norm or something I should seriously be concerned about.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Sometimes the strings will get pushed back behind your cervix (especially after stuff like sex or putting something like a tampon in there). They can also kind of curl back around it. Both of those things can make them really hard to find, especially if your cervix is hard to find anyway. I have also heard some people mention their strings getting "sucked up" into their cervix so I guess it's possible.

As for the cervix itself, it is normal for it to change positions depending where you are in your cycle - mostly up and down but I'd imagine some slight side to side movement might happen too. And I noticed after I got my IUD mine felt a little different (firmer I guess?) but everything has been fine. All that being said, if you can I personally don't think there's anything wrong with giving yourself some peace of mind by at least giving your doctor a call to see what they think.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

That's a good point. If you can't feel the hole in your cervix where the strings come out, then it's likely they got pushed back. If your fingers are long enough, try feeling again. If you can feel the hole but no strings, then it's probably not in place. For what I've heard, you are likely to know if it expelled but less likely to feel anything if the strings got pulled into your uterus.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

Kimmalah posted:

The survey thing sounds interesting, considering I fall into the same category. Is it like an online thing or some kind of focus group deal?

"What" on the first part or the redditor part?

It's a focus group type study, I probably should have posted here back in November when they were gathering people, sorry :( They sent me a bunch of ovulation test strips and some instruction and we're on day 3 of the 35 day surveys (asking about how attractive your partner is and how often you do various sexual activities and mood questions, women also have to measure themselves).

And you would not believe the amount of comments (it was posted in both /r/sex and /r/samplesize, which is an awesome group and I won $150CAD in another survey I did on there) saying "how are you going to find couples like that, good luck, who uses condoms in LTRs? ". All sarcastic and poo poo, I just commented "this is perfect for me and other couples relying on the copper IUD! Signed up!" just to say "y'all are dumb".

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

ilysespieces posted:

It's a focus group type study, I probably should have posted here back in November when they were gathering people, sorry :( They sent me a bunch of ovulation test strips and some instruction and we're on day 3 of the 35 day surveys (asking about how attractive your partner is and how often you do various sexual activities and mood questions, women also have to measure themselves).

And you would not believe the amount of comments (it was posted in both /r/sex and /r/samplesize, which is an awesome group and I won $150CAD in another survey I did on there) saying "how are you going to find couples like that, good luck, who uses condoms in LTRs? ". All sarcastic and poo poo, I just commented "this is perfect for me and other couples relying on the copper IUD! Signed up!" just to say "y'all are dumb".

I'd believe it honestly. I've run into a lot of people who had basically given up on any hormonal birth control because of side-effects, didn't like condoms and had just decided to "wing it." I would tell them about the copper IUD and they just looked at me like I was talking about some alien technology. It doesn't seem very well known in the U.S., I guess because they don't have Bayer's ad budget. :v:

The people who had heard of IUDs either already had one, thought it was only hormonal like Mirena or totally misunderstood how they worked ("oh yeah it just blocks up your tubes!").

Not surprisingly every one of them has at least one accidental baby now.

Souvlaki ss
Mar 7, 2014

It's not tomorrow until I sleep

Phadedsky posted:

I suggest reading the skyla/jaydess tag here, it has tons of stories and info.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Bringing out the big guns: Bilateral Tubal Occlusion

In November, my Mirena decided to "leave my body" in a spectacular display of torrential bleeding after about six months of causing random almost-daily spotting. It was discovered that I had a lemon-sized fibroid taking up a lot of space in the uterus. I had a Uterine Fibroid Embolization to get rid of the fibroid, and decided that it was time for permanent birth control. I chose a tubal over essure because I wasn't comfortable with the the possibility of migration of the essure, and also because I wasn't comfortable with something on the market only 12 years that was designed to be permanent.

My doctor was amazingly cool about me wanting a tubal despite the fact that I'm 32 and have no kids.

Surgery day went smoothly- I don't remember much after they gave me the benzodiazepine. I woke up feeling pretty chill but in pain, but after a bunch of graham crackers and waters and percocets I was ready to go home.

Recovery has been frustrating because I feel like I can get up and do stuff, but as soon as I do, I'm reminded why I shouldn't get up and do stuff. But I have plenty of pain meds and Netflix (equally effective IMO) and should be on my feet soon.

I am sooooooo glad I did this.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Hell yeah tubal buddy.

If it was laproscopic you're gonna get a sweet yellow bruise under your navel. Very strange looking.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
My Mirena is up in 2017 and I will be 34 closer to 35 and I am going to angle for the tubal again. If no dice, at least I know I can get another Mirena.

I shouldn't worry either way because my sex life is dead and might never really come back, but dammit I sleep better at night knowing I've baby proofed my situation.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I'm not having kids, so I'm interested in a tubal, but I never want to go off Nexplanon either. Has anyone had experience with sterilization+bc? I'm concerned my insurance won't cover bc afterward.

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I have a friend with Paragard who also takes POPs to control migraines. But I cannot see a doc prescribing BC if you've had a tubal unless it's for an off label-ish reason.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Geolicious posted:

My Mirena is up in 2017 and I will be 34 closer to 35 and I am going to angle for the tubal again. ..Dammit I sleep better at night knowing I've baby proofed my situation.

You do you. Tell your doctor that you don't want to be on hormonal BC after 35 because.... It's truly kind of a bad idea! And lock your poo poo down for your own state of mind, not for the convenience of whatever dude happens to come (or not) into your, life.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Geolicious posted:

I have a friend with Paragard who also takes POPs to control migraines. But I cannot see a doc prescribing BC if you've had a tubal unless it's for an off label-ish reason.
I would want to keep it to prevent periods and hormone fluctuation -- not sure whether that counts as off-label. I don't have diagnosed endometriosis or anything, though, I just think periods are frankly bullshit. It helps with my skin, too, but a dermatologist is not gonna give me Nexplanon.

Wroughtirony posted:

Tell your doctor that you don't want to be on hormonal BC after 35 because.... It's truly kind of a bad idea!
Wait, why?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 13, 2015

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Your risk of stroke goes up after 35, and use of hormonal BC increases that risk. If you smoke the risk goes up even higher.

Edit: It looks like I was only partially right. BC pills do increase the risk of stroke and heart attack, but it's generally only significant of there are other risk factors involved, especially smoking.

"The birth control pill can lead to a higher risk for blood clots, heart attack, and stroke in women who smoke, especially if they are over 35 years of age. Combination estrogen and progestin birth control (including the pills, ring or patch) should NOT be used by women who are over 35 years of age and smoke."

--http://www.drugs.com/article/birthcontrolpill-risks-benefits.html

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV I stand corrected, thanks for the knowledge! VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Wroughtirony fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 13, 2015

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wroughtirony posted:

Your risk of stroke goes up after 35, and use of hormonal BC increases that risk. If you smoke the risk goes up even higher.

Yeah but that's because of the estrogen. Mirena is progesterone only.

TMI edit: And I am in the relationship I am going to be in probably forever, but he has ED issues so... sex life has taken a hit.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Geolicious posted:

I doubt it would be too difficult. Birth control pills are prescribed for all sorts of stuff that have nothing to do with babies and aren't necessarily considered off label either. For example, Ortho Tri-Cyclen's big selling point was the prevention of acne and it's actually FDA approved for that use. And I know plenty of people who take them for migraine prevention, lighter/regular periods, etc.

For the specific question, I don't have personal experience with it but I have heard of people combining methods like that - like taking the pill to control irregular or heavy periods from IUDs and stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Wroughtirony posted:

That's not all hormonal bc, it's types with estrogen specifically. Mirena is progestin-only. Link

e: hella beaten! Sorry

• Locked thread