Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Have you looked at the Grom? If you're interested in something more cruiser oriented you could consider the Honda Rebel.

I saw a Grom in person, at the risk of sounding stupid, I think it's too small for what I want. I used to ride a Honda Shadow VT1100, I now ride a Dyna Superglide, I want something different. I don't think I need a low seat height bike, just not one know for having a high seat.

So far Craigslist has only revealed CBR600s and liter bikes with road rash. Also tons of Harleys, especially ones from the 80s for $8,000. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What about the ol Ninja 250/300? I think most people can put both feet on the ground on one of these and there is enough power for anything you'd want to do. It's not really a "sportbike" but it's sporty enough.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Nah dude you aren't going to covert a cruiser rider with a 250.

Sportbikes have high seat heights but you can find standards with similar motors and much more comfortable ergonomics.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
So, apparently my cbr300r fell overnight while parked along the curb. No wind and a level incline, so I'm going to assume a random rear end in a top hat.

It fell on the right side. Not too much cosmetic damage from what I can tell, but it leaked a fair bit of gas out of the rubber vent tubes along the underside of the bike and now it won't start. Electronics still come on when key is turned, but pushing the starter button does nothing.

Having zero mechanical experience but always wanting to get into it, I guess this is convenient. Any thoughts on what I should do to troubleshoot the bike?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The there's probably a tip over switch, (check your manual/internet for how to cycle it) also check the kill switch. Gas leaking is normal went a bike falls over.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Nah dude you aren't going to covert a cruiser rider with a 250.

I just named the only bikes I thought he was tall enough for. :shrug:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

You forgot a Dan Gurney Alligator. Perfect for the cruiser rider who wants to branch out to sport bikes!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Crotch Fruit posted:

I saw a Grom in person, at the risk of sounding stupid, I think it's too small for what I want. I used to ride a Honda Shadow VT1100, I now ride a Dyna Superglide, I want something different. I don't think I need a low seat height bike, just not one know for having a high seat.

So far Craigslist has only revealed CBR600s and liter bikes with road rash. Also tons of Harleys, especially ones from the 80s for $8,000. :v:

i4s are no good, get a Buell Firebolt.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Get a stretched Big Ruckus. Cruiser posture, suitable for a shorter person, more performance than most cruisers.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Crotch Fruit posted:

I am 5'8" or just as tall,as Tom Cruise and Napoleon Bonaparte. Would there be a better bike suited to me? I have never really felt short sitting on bikes at the dealers but I just don't want to get "the bike for tall people".

The Triumph Bonneville didn't seem very tall last time I saw one, but I never sat on it.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

The Triumph Bonneville didn't seem very tall last time I saw one, but I never sat on it.

Just stood next to one the other day that was customized for a short female rider. I swear it barely came up to my knee.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I have a Ninja 300 and I'm 5'9". It fits me pretty much perfectly. I can put both feet down comfortably, although that's not really a major selling point. It was nice as my first bike, though. Gave me a bit more sense of stability.

It's a fun bike, it's not a wuss on the highway at 70, and it's pretty comfortable in all weather. What I'd recommend is seeing if there's a dealership (or a few if you're lucky) near you. Just sit on every bike that appeals to you at all and see what you think. That's what was suggested to me, and I tried a CBR and a Ninjer and the Ninjer was more comfortable.

That said, I have a suprisingly long body and kinda short legs, so if you're built differently, your experience may be vastly different.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

The there's probably a tip over switch, (check your manual/internet for how to cycle it) also check the kill switch. Gas leaking is normal went a bike falls over.

No tip over switch or BAS on this model that there's any mention of.

I kind of discounted the clutch because it fell on the right side, but on a lark I tried starting it in neutral instead of in gear and it worked fine. Definitely chugs a bit and is more ratchety than it was before, but otherwise seems alright.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Check the safety sensors - clutch and kickstand.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

hot sauce posted:

Yeah it's kind of a bitch to start at the moment. I'm planning on cleaning them the first weekend my hands won't freeze while working on it.

Savvy, nsap - hibernation is almost over :)

One more week til we set our clocks forward, 3 weeks to spring. And we got almost 6" of snow 4 days ago. :sigh:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Where am I supposed to keep registration and insurance on a drz?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
If the little bag on the rear fender is gone (I removed mine also) you could find a new one. If that's not what you want I rolled mine into the bar pad on the handlebars but I have aftermarket bars. I think there's even a little tool kit under the rear on the clutch side. Or your wallet.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

I don't like leaving mine on the bike, in case it get's stolen. I'll sleep better knowing thieves don't have my home address. Plus if they get pulled over they can't pull the "It's my friends bike" card if they don't know the owner's name.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I keep all my info in my jacket, never on the bike.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I found that if you don't stop for the police you don't have to worry about insurance cards or where you keep them

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't run from the cops on a grom afaik.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
You can run from the cops on anything, it just helps when its faster than they are

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I just can't believe you guys live in a country where vehicle owners are expected to carry paper registration documents on their person/in their vehicle. Are there no computers in the US?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I was on the 250 both times

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'm with M42. I keep my registration and insurance info in a Ziplock bag in my jacket. It pretty much never leaves unless I switch coats. With that said, I got a new jacket a couple months ago and I have no idea if I remembered to switch it out.

Thanks, CA!

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I used to keep them in a ziploc bag in my riding jacket during my first year. Then I stopped caring because I am not going to ever have an issue with police. Its a lot easier that way that carrying around some dumb trapper keeper of insurance and registration

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

EX250 Type R posted:

I used to keep them in a ziploc bag in my riding jacket during my first year. Then I stopped caring because I am not going to ever have an issue with police. Its a lot easier that way that carrying around some dumb trapper keeper of insurance and registration

I also don't have my registration on me because of the same reason. It's just too hard to keep it in my inside jacket pocket without it ever touching. I keep finding my registration in my hands after I've taken off my jacket. I mean, ugh?!! What the hell. Lame!!!! *makes a blegh face*

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

I was on the 250 both times

I'd be embarrassed to be seen on that too :haw:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
250 thug lyfe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIyIlO-_Ug

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I just can't believe you guys live in a country where vehicle owners are expected to carry paper registration documents on their person/in their vehicle. Are there no computers in the US?

IDK how big the things in the US are, but my proof of insurance and registration papers aren't particularly big. I keep them in the insurance broker-supplied holder and I only have it on me when I'm on the bike, they're both about the size of a credit card.

Chris Knight fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 1, 2015

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

ffs slavvy, what the hell are cops to do when they shoot and kill someone if they can't say "he tried to reach for the glove compartment"?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
All the people there are criminals by definition so they are covered legally.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Well then, jacket pocket/wheelie-info away maniacally it is.

Will it get too gross in the summer if I put it in my helmet?
"Hello officer, what seems to be the problem?"
"License and registration son"
*ten minutes later

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

nsaP posted:

All the people there are criminals by definition so they are covered legally.

That's hosed up dude. You're thinking of Australia. New Zealand was a religious colony.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Oh yeah, my bad. The hobbit criminals

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

EX250 Type R posted:

Can you make a copy of your registration for each jacket?

I plan to order a $20 license plate stash box, it's the size of a license plate and about an inch thick.it comes with a key, but the case is plastic so security is low. . . I think I can mount it on the tire side of my license plate bracket to make it less noticeable, although that would make accessing the key less convenient.

If your worried about theft, I wonder if you could black out your indetifying info since all they really should need is the policy number for insurance and probably a similar code for registration.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've seen that on the Aerostich site.

http://www.aerostich.com/a-to-b-utilities/for-the-bike/license-plate-frames/license-plate-locking-compartment.html

It looks like a nifty idea. I have storage space under my seat, but if you want an extra place to stash stuff that doesn't stick out, it looks like the thing.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
Has any of you guys had experience swapping over speedometers? I'm massively dyslexic and digital speedos are a complete no-go. I'm on a GS500F (analogue, woo) but am planning ahead for my next bike, either a Duke 690 or a modern naked Bandit 1250. Problem is, both bikes have digital speedos (bandits changed over at some point around 2005).

Both are naked bikes, and as such shouldn't have any space problem as far as ripping out the stock gear and bolting on aftermarket parts (or an older bandit analogue speedo). I'd be getting a mechanic to do it, thoughts?

Also, is there anything similar to Speedohealer that works on analogue dials?

For reference, I'm in Australia, so simply using a phone running an analogue GPS speedo on the bar is illegal.

Edit: my only other option is buying a GSX 1400/XJR1300/CB, save me from having to be a hipster!

Isolationist fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 1, 2015

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
The easiest way to deal with the registration/insurance thing is to keep an insurance card in your wallet and to live in a state where your registration is a license plate sticker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Marxalot posted:

The easiest way to deal with the registration/insurance thing is to keep an insurance card in your wallet and to live in a state where your registration is a license plate sticker.

Not so fast... Florida requires the registration sticker, AND that you have a paper copy on you. Get pulled over without the hard copy, and you're as good as fried with a $200 ticket. Stupid as hell. I just keep mine in a ziploc baggie under my tail seat.