Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

goodness posted:

I played the tactics deck so that was probably the whole problem. Will check back in after I try the others?

Tactics is great so long as someone else handles the questing. Everyone seems to go for it first. I know I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

If you're playing solo, you really should build your own decks that aren't mono-sphere. The tools you need to be successful in that game are spread amongst the four spheres. Tactics is really bad at questing on its own.

If you feel you're too new at it to build your own decks, I think the Leadership starter is probably the best solo? I don't know.

I think it's possible to beat passage through mirkwood with all the starter decks but tactics. Spirit can make it through the journey down the anduin solo. I think I managed the journey with lore as well, but I forget.
It's probaby best to play the starter decks a multitude of ways first to get a feel for everything. Play solo with each deck a few times on the passage through mirkwood just to see their strengths and weaknesses. Then play multi-handed to to see how things work well together and what type of play you prefer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If you're going to go mono (which I'd recommend for learning the spheres), Leadership is the best bet for beating Passage at Mirkwood. Lots of resources to pay for your lots of allies, enough willpower to handle questing (especially with Faramir) and Aragorn beasts through everything. Lore also has a decent shot once you learn when to risk undefended attacks and get out the healing to make up for those. Spirit also has an easy ride as long as you can get your threat down early to snipe everything while its in the staging area.

Then once you wanna learn Tactics find another player or roll dual-sphere I guess?

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Does anyone still play the Star Wars LCG? I was really impressed with it when it came out but I haven't gotten many expansions for it and now there are like twelve things to buy. Is it still a solid and fun game? Do the expansions do a good job of adding things and being fun? I don't see many people talking about it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Bought my second core set for conquest. Have all 3 expansions and preordered zogwarts curse.
Overall really enjoying the game
Played with a buddy using just the core as well as with all expansion cards added. Beat him soundly the first few games he conceded the final game
Felt bad because realized I completely over extended myself as eldar vs tau
He should have taken the third planet, I had the first two, and he had the units to win out

The wife is going to play tonight need to make sure she has fun and wins lol

Weird thing occurred. Can the first planet go to no one? We weren't sure when the planet was awarded
It happened where we ended where the planet had one unit left with one wound in it and a battle at another planet had a cannon in it that hit and did the final wound on the unit

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

If there are no units left on either side at the first planet, it goes to nobody and is discarded. Although keep in mind that the first planet is awarded as soon as the first planet battle is over, so other battles should not be effecting the outcome.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

Yawgmoft posted:

Does anyone still play the Star Wars LCG? I was really impressed with it when it came out but I haven't gotten many expansions for it and now there are like twelve things to buy. Is it still a solid and fun game? Do the expansions do a good job of adding things and being fun? I don't see many people talking about it.

Star Wars is pretty cool! There's a thread for it over here.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Played with the Leadership deck, crushed Mirkwood.

Does anyone play the 40k LCG? My brother and I both used to play the miniatures game and are looking into to trying this.

goodness fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 1, 2015

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Can someone explain fenrisian wolf to me?
Does it basically allow a unit to act a ranged basically?
IE play with initiative takes ranged attack, if any, than you can do an action
So use the wolves to try and snipe basically?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Can someone explain fenrisian wolf to me?
Does it basically allow a unit to act a ranged basically?
IE play with initiative takes ranged attack, if any, than you can do an action
So use the wolves to try and snipe basically?

Yeah, except it's faster then ranged because you get to use it in the action window before ranged attacks go.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

The wolf basically makes it so the attached unit can attack before the ranged phase begins.

e:fb

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

goodness posted:

Does anyone play the 40k LCG? My brother and I both used to play the miniatures game and are looking into to trying this.

I just got into it and I am really enjoying it. It is deeper than it first seems and there is a good amount of customization
I would whole heartily recommend it to anyone. See if your lgs has a copy you can try it ask around
All of the factions play differently and I'm excited to see where it goes from here

Buying my second starter has the game much more enjoyable as initially a lot of cards you only have 1 of, Max 3 when you customize, so it can be a little more luck of the draw

Also big thanks for the replies

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?

Amoeba102 posted:

I think it's possible to beat passage through mirkwood with all the starter decks but tactics.

Rodney did it. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7691E24FD7613341

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Seemed like it was more of an unusual occurrence. Gondolian blade and Gandalf, and even the insta-attack card were pretty vital in not getting overwhelmed and were clutch cards, without any of them the game would have gone south quicker. It does highlight the reliance on the core tactics on Legolas for quest tokens, and the importance of clearing the staging area.
Core Tactics feels like it needs a perfect storm to solo with. While other decks you feel more like you can have more varied draws and still be on top of everything.

But yeah, guess it's not impossible.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Just had a FANTASTIC game against my wife. It was her first game so we started with our hands showing.
Really kinda walking through the various rules in terms of where battles are fought, command struggles and so on.
She is enamored with Dark Eldar so she plans to focus on them while I play whoever
The match was DE vs IG though.

She gave me a drat good fight and the only thing that really saved me was first, or second, turn getting out a Omega Zero Command
As the game progressed I just ended up having Guardsmen on every planet. Combine that with Straken other honor unit that pops out more of them when they leave the planet I just had tons of 2/2 on the board she couldn't chew through them all.
That combined with the planet that allowed me to clear the damage off of my Warlord so he could actually hang around for a turn or 2 on any planet to give that precious +1 buff out was the final straw.
She actually wants to play again which is great as she normally isn't a huge fan of strategy games

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Rules question for conquest

When a combat round is starting over, your units that are exhausted become ready, do ranged go first again?
So range, actions, melee, actions till everyone exhausted. Retreat if you want to then... Repeat and start over

Or

Range, actions, melee, actions. Retreat If you want to
Melee and actions. Over and over and ranged people are treated like normal

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Rules question for conquest

When a combat round is starting over, your units that are exhausted become ready, do ranged go first again?
So range, actions, melee, actions till everyone exhausted. Retreat if you want to then... Repeat and start over

Or

Range, actions, melee, actions. Retreat If you want to
Melee and actions. Over and over and ranged people are treated like normal

Ranged only happens once, so the latter.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

After a fantastic four-month run, we finally finished our play-by-post game of A Shadow of the Past

We lost a few over the time, so we need to recruit a few new players for the next part of the campaign, A Knife in the Dark

Check it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704012

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
My boyfriend just got Warhammer: Conquest, and we pulled it out last night and played a first game with the suggested starter decks. He plays that warhammer thing, and I wanted to see what this Living Card Game business was all about. I think I'm stuck now, help.

I pick up board games a lot faster than he does, but we eventually even out in skill - I have a strong start but plateau early and improve with difficulty, while he uniformly has a horrible first few games but then fires up quickly in skill. He was Orks, and I was Space Marines, and I twigged early onto the fact that my deck had a lot of expensive guys, but also a lot of ways to grab extra resources, and worked to exploit that as much as I could so as to begin puking up dreadnaughts everywhere. We both got terrible first draws, but I mulliganed into a fantastic hand while he decided to just roll with it, giving me a strong early advantage with plenty of dudes in my HQ.

My favorite moment was actually a neat little bit of psychological warfare. Midway through the game, I drew an Exterminatus, and because I have no poker face, I proceeded to giggle like a little girl. Oops; now he knows I have a really good card. So I just told him I had an Exterminatus, though without revealing the text of the card, and wouldn't you know it, he began playing a lot more cautiously and refusing to commit a lot of troops. Thing is, the more I think of it, the more it becomes obvious that that would be a perfect counter - push hard enough that I HAVE to use it as soon as possible. But it's hard to be super-aggressive when you're just learning how to play the game, so I know I won't be able to get away with that in future plays.

This is neat. I can't wait until the expansion comes out, so I can play the skeleton robots of my soul.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Zogwort's Curse has arrived for some people. One of them was kind enough to post all the cards that hadn't been spoiled so far:

Space Marines

Blood Claw Pack Unit
3 Cost
1 Command 2 Attack 2 Health
Traits: Soldier Space Wolves.
Reaction: After an enemy warlord commits to this planet exhaust this unit to put a Space Wolves unit into play from your hand at this planet.

Rally the Charge - Event
2 Cost 1 Shield
Traits: Tactic
Action: Until the end of the phase, a target space marines unit you control at a planet with your warlord gets +2 attack for each command icon it has.

Secluded Apothecarion - Support
1 Cost
Reaction: After a space marines unit you control is destroyed exhaust this support to gain 1 resource.

Chaos

Gleeful Plague Beast - Unit
5 Cost
1 Command 3 Attack 5 Health
Traits: Daemon. Nurgle. Elite.
No wargear attachments.
Force Reaction: After the combat phase begins deal 1 damage to each unit at this planet.

Doombolt - Event
1 Cost 1 Shield
Trati: Power
Deploy Action: Deal X damage to target enemy army unit. X is the amount of damage on that unit.

Blight Grenades - Attachment
1 Cost 1 Shield
Traits: Nurgle. Wargear.
Attach to a Nurgle army unit.
Combat Action: Sacrifice this attachment to give attached unit Area Efffect (2) until the end of the combat round.

Eldar
Vectored Vyper Squad - Unit
4 cost
1 Command 3 Attack 3 Health
Traits. Vehicle Alaitoc
No wargear attachments.
This unit gains Mobile while it is undamaged.

Guardian Mesh Armor - Attachment
1 Cost 1 Shield
Traits: Wargear. Armor
Attach to a Eldar army unit.
Interrupt: When you use a shield card to prevent damage to attached unit, exhaust this attachment to double the number of shields on that card.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Guardian Mesh Armor reminds me how much nerds freak out with regards to those cards. "WHY IS THE GODWYN PATTERN BOLTER AN EQUIPMENT CARD" has been a complaint I've heard A LOT on OCTGN.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Azran posted:

Guardian Mesh Armor reminds me how much nerds freak out with regards to those cards. "WHY IS THE GODWYN PATTERN BOLTER AN EQUIPMENT CARD" has been a complaint I've heard A LOT on OCTGN.

Because they're seemingly underpowered or lore reasons?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

PJOmega posted:

Because they're seemingly underpowered or lore reasons?

Lore reasons. It's like having a WW2 card game where one of the Russian cards is "Mosin-Nagant Rifle". I mean, if you can deal with the abstraction of a single Scout, not even a squad, capturing a planet, you can deal with run-of-the-mill weapons being attachments because of gameplay reasons.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Azran posted:

Lore reasons. It's like having a WW2 card game where one of the Russian cards is "Mosin-Nagant Rifle". I mean, if you can deal with the abstraction of a single Scout, not even a squad, capturing a planet, you can deal with run-of-the-mill weapons being attachments because of gameplay reasons.

So the idea is that the Godwin Bolter is the standard issue weapon and is theoretically already equipped by the army unit because they're obviously not going to the planet without weapons. So basically if they had the text space to add the word "modified" or "enhanced" to the title this wouldn't be an issue.

I guess those are the same people that can't deal with X-Wings fighting Rancors in Star Wars.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Conquest core sets are miniature markets deal of the day. 20 bucks each.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm probably going to have to get that so I can get up to 3 core and stop gimping myself. But MMs shipping rates suck.

Bitching aside, anyone looking to get in on Conquest should nab this. 3 core for 60 bucks is a great deal.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Whew! My buddy and I played our first LOTR OCTGN game last night (him having a kid + me moving into a new condo = took a while to coordinate).
He played a mono-Lore with a bunch of attachments meant to make Aragorn a beast. I had a test Tactics/Spirit deck with Boromir, Frodo, and Merry.

Definitely had some hilarious moments down the stretch.
Nothing like having Boromir easily tank multiple 6 attack guys.
Reminding my buddy at refresh that the refresh action window is AFTER you raise your threat (ie if you get to 50 you can't then reduce it to survive in that action window) and him being like "Oh I guess I'll reset my threat now then" and then immediately flipping a card that raises your threat by the # of guys not committed to the quest...totally wold have threated him out.
Top decking A Test of Will and then revealing a card that would have killed me, canceling, and winning!

OCTGN is definitely pretty great at how well it handles the game in general, we were impressed. It'll take a few more games until we're a bit more fluent in the shortcuts and nuances of it though. Can't wait for more! (Plus shorter setup/take down is huge for him with dealing with the baby)

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

Whew! My buddy and I played our first LOTR OCTGN game last night (him having a kid + me moving into a new condo = took a while to coordinate).
He played a mono-Lore with a bunch of attachments meant to make Aragorn a beast. I had a test Tactics/Spirit deck with Boromir, Frodo, and Merry.

Definitely had some hilarious moments down the stretch.
Nothing like having Boromir easily tank multiple 6 attack guys.
Reminding my buddy at refresh that the refresh action window is AFTER you raise your threat (ie if you get to 50 you can't then reduce it to survive in that action window) and him being like "Oh I guess I'll reset my threat now then" and then immediately flipping a card that raises your threat by the # of guys not committed to the quest...totally wold have threated him out.
Top decking A Test of Will and then revealing a card that would have killed me, canceling, and winning!

OCTGN is definitely pretty great at how well it handles the game in general, we were impressed. It'll take a few more games until we're a bit more fluent in the shortcuts and nuances of it though. Can't wait for more! (Plus shorter setup/take down is huge for him with dealing with the baby)

You should check out our LOTR PbP :v: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704012

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

FINE.

:)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

omnibobb posted:

Sold out :negative:

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/3/5/the-great-devourer/

Get ready for the 'nids!

Can they can use neutral cards?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I am ready for 1.5 warlords + slivers. I'm guessing the other Warlord is going to involve Infested planets or Termagants.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

So are Nids going to be in a box like the core game, and are you going to have to buy multiple ones?

More important, when the hell are Crons coming out?

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Slandible posted:

So are Nids going to be in a box like the core game, and are you going to have to buy multiple ones?

Deluxe Expansion is FFG code for "max copies of every card in the box."

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

omnibobb posted:

It's probably good that I didn't see that in time to buy 3.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Slandible posted:

It's gonna be in a box, it should have as many copies of cards as you can legally play. Necrons will most likely be the deluxe expansion at the end of the next cycle. Since Necrons can use cards from other factions, unlike the Tyranids, they don't need as many cards as the Tyranids to make functional decks so it only makes sense that they'll come later.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Oh.

My

Goooood.....

The Nids will be my main faction hands down. Have ALWAYS loved them

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Regarding the number of deluxe expansions needed.

Historically, FFG has included max copies of cards in the deluxes just like any other expansions EXCEPT the first Star Wars deluxe, but they (basically) put two new factions in that one.

In Netrunner, they put in a lot of cards for just two factions and you get max copies.

In Conquest they are introducing a new faction AND putting in cards for the rest of the factions.

So really, who knows?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

omnibobb posted:

Regarding the number of deluxe expansions needed.

Historically, FFG has included max copies of cards in the deluxes just like any other expansions EXCEPT the first Star Wars deluxe, but they (basically) put two new factions in that one.

In Netrunner, they put in a lot of cards for just two factions and you get max copies.

In Conquest they are introducing a new faction AND putting in cards for the rest of the factions.

So really, who knows?

Since they make a point to say that you get 3x copies of the 2-new, original seven factions, cards. I think it's a safe bet they are doing 3x of each Tyranid card as well. I think if they were doing 1x of each Tyranid card or 2x we'd see the same from the cards for other factions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

PaybackJack posted:

Since they make a point to say that you get 3x copies of the 2-new, original seven factions, cards. I think it's a safe bet they are doing 3x of each Tyranid card as well. I think if they were doing 1x of each Tyranid card or 2x we'd see the same from the cards for other factions.

Probably!
I didnt read that part :(