Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

This is going to make me cave and get a PS4. I don't suppose there is any chance of a PC release right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xavier434 posted:

This is going to make me cave and get a PS4. I don't suppose there is any chance of a PC release right?
There's a slight chance. Both Squeenix and the Warriors devs have been experimenting with Steam lately.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rarity posted:

What? How?

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Arcane_Labyrinth

maou shoujo posted:

The keyword dungeon is only in the PSP version.

iOS has it too.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

I did. It was very very obvious even to Kid me that junctions were more important than levels.

Also if you don't 'abuse the mechanics' then what is left in FF8's combat system. It is such a broken game you can trivialize it by being at low health! Like it is so broken that the mere act of doing badly at it will let you spam limit breaks constantly.

The very first thing I did in VIII after learning junctions was grind out a tonne of Magic near Balamb to max my junctions. It was painfully obvious how powerful it was. I never learned about card conversion until many years later. :negative:

Xavier434 posted:

What's the big deal with that game? Is it supposed to be a true DQ sequel on console or something else?

E: wait an action RpG version of DG? That sounds kinda fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

What's the big deal with that game? Is it supposed to be a true DQ sequel on console or something else?

It's literally Dynasty Warriors Dragon Quest.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

It's literally Dynasty Warriors Dragon Quest.

With a billion times more polish and new systems like party play and buff/de-buff systems it seems, alongside an actual traveling map and original story with 3 original characters.

It's basically taking the lessons from Hyrule Warriors and ramping it up 100 times more. I wonder if they're just far more better at non-realistic graphics like DQ and Zelda.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

With a billion times more polish and new systems like party play and buff/de-buff systems it seems, alongside an actual traveling map and original story with 3 original characters.

Well, none of those are really new. Orochi Warriors for example has party play,. buffs/debuffs, an original story and original character and so-on. Dragon Quest Heroes does look closer to Hyrule Warriors on the polish front though. I was going to import it before they announced the English release.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if there's any chance of an HD rerelease of FF12 IZJS. I'd play the poo poo out of that, especially if it was on Vita and I can have even more massive games to play on handhelds.

Also: how is FF13-2? I actually thought 13's battle system was pretty okay once I started to think of it as controlling things through high-level strategy (Paradigms) rather than individual orders, but I also thought very few battles actually asked you to really use the system. But also, I have little to no patience for the insane FF13 mythology, so I'd be in it pretty much 100% for gameplay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

I wonder if there's any chance of an HD rerelease of FF12 IZJS. I'd play the poo poo out of that, especially if it was on Vita and I can have even more massive games to play on handhelds.

Also: how is FF13-2? I actually thought 13's battle system was pretty okay once I started to think of it as controlling things through high-level strategy (Paradigms) rather than individual orders, but I also thought very few battles actually asked you to really use the system. But also, I have little to no patience for the insane FF13 mythology, so I'd be in it pretty much 100% for gameplay.

FF13-2's battle system is similar but it asks you to use the system far less than FF13 did. It's actually a significantly easier game in almost every fashion. If you're just in it for the gameplay it isn't gonna work for you.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I was going to reinstall FFXIV to have it in case I wanted to resub, but just found out they are having a free login week until March 9th. Now I can see how well it plays with a 360 controller. If I like how it feels I'll probably sub again, which makes the event a success for Squeenix I guess.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Re: Junctions: I don't think Junctions themselves are what make FF8 breakable, so much as being able to refine higher level spells. If you stick to only junctioning magic that you can drain from enemies, you'll have a steady progression curve that isn't too absurd, and the act of fighting them to drain their spells will level you up somewhat (unless you go out of your way to card everything). Being able to get powerful spells without fighting enemies at all is what breaks the game.

Harrow posted:

FF13-2's mythology just gets steadily more and more insane.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ragequit posted:

Now I can see how well it plays with a 360 controller. If I like how it feels I'll probably sub again, which makes the event a success for Squeenix I guess.

After playing for..I dunno, 1000 hours or so, I switched over to using a DS4 for everything except high level crafts and I like it a lot. I mainly play BLM and SCH, but I've used it for MNK, NIN, PLD and WAR too with no issue at all. Takes a little bit to get used to and set up properly (make sure to tick the option that gives you another hotbar by holding L2 then R2 and R2 then L2) but once you do it's real fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

FF13-2's battle system is similar but it asks you to use the system far less than FF13 did. It's actually a significantly easier game in almost every fashion. If you're just in it for the gameplay it isn't gonna work for you.

Aww, dang. I remember finding the harder fights from FF13 really fun, especially the optional bosses like Vercintorix where really quick paradigm shifts were absolutely necessary. I'd hoped they would refine things for FF13-2 and have more of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Aww, dang. I remember finding the harder fights from FF13 really fun, especially the optional bosses like Vercintorix where really quick paradigm shifts were absolutely necessary. I'd hoped they would refine things for FF13-2 and have more of that.

I'll say the one big exception are the DLC fights in the Colosseum which are pretty fun. It's just that the general difficulty is lower. I actually felt the same way about FF13's combat system and was disappointed in 13-2 because of that. :smith:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Despite the 20 hour tutorial some people still didn't get FF XIII's combat and so they tuned it down for the sequel. :ughh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Despite the 20 hour tutorial some people still didn't get FF XIII's combat and so they tuned it down for the sequel. :ughh:

My impression is that a lot of people never realized you were supposed to switch a lot, so they left it at half-healing, half-damage (a balanced party) and wondered why fights took so long.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like switching after every set of moves even if I don't have to, because I feel very satisfied whenever I hear the sound effect that comes with a paradigm swap.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
If you're one of the people who did really like the combat in 13, you won't like 13-2.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

On the other hand, they added the ability to tune the paradigms so you could do things like have two commandos focus on the same target.

They just should have kept the difficulty curve up in XIII-2 so there would actually be more reason to use it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

A guy I know said he gave up on the game at Gran Pulse with 50+ hours on his file because he got stuck and spent a ridiculous amount of time grinding. (I'm hoping most of it was idle time or something) He had no idea what saboteur/synergist did and hadn't touched them at all

When I told him about buffs/debuffs he went back to the game and managed to eventually finish it but I have no idea why people don't get the battle system

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

A guy I know said he gave up on the game at Gran Pulse with 50+ hours on his file because he got stuck and spent a ridiculous amount of time grinding. (I'm hoping most of it was idle time or something) He had no idea what saboteur/synergist did and hadn't touched them at all

When I told him about buffs/debuffs he went back to the game and managed to eventually finish it but I have no idea why people don't get the battle system

It's really easy to just say "Auto-battle" and pretend there's no strategy involved and complain about battle times than it is to actually learn how to do it right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

in a game with actual good design you wouldn't be able to just hit autobattle and win every fight

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

in a game with actual good design you wouldn't be able to just hit autobattle and win every fight

You're posting that in a Final Fantasy Megathread--a series in which "press attack to win every fight" has always been a viable option.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

You're posting that in a Final Fantasy Megathread--a series in which "press attack to win every fight" has always been a viable option.

not in the ones I like

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

not in the ones I like

It's also not even applicable to XIII, really. Sure, you can steamroll most of the trash mobs with auto-attack, but that's nothing new. There are plenty of other enemies and bosses that will wreck you if all you do is attack. You still need to heal, and applying buffs/debuffs makes those fights much more manageable.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

It's also not even applicable to XIII, really. Sure, you can steamroll most of the trash mobs with auto-attack, but that's nothing new. There are plenty of other enemies and bosses that will wreck you if all you do is attack. You still need to heal, and applying buffs/debuffs makes those fights much more manageable.

If the trash is so trivial, why does it even exist?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Andrast posted:

Because random encounters are a thing? I mean, if anything, XIII makes it easier to avoid a bunch of random pointless battles on the map, but now we're just talking complaints that should apply again to the whole series and not XIII specifically.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It makes me sad that so many people grow up on Final Fantasy and never learn how to play RPGs.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

morallyobjected posted:

Yeah unlike many other FF games, XIII makes you do more than spam attack with occasional heal on bosses. There are a lot of justifiable complaints about XIII but the battle system is not one of them. Not liking it is fine but that usually comes down to taste imo.

Andrast posted:

Because it can be fun still. XIII does reward you for killing trash well as opposed to just ending the fight at least. Besides most games are filled with trivial challenges followed by the occasional hard task. That formula is decades old and expands well beyond rpgs.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2015

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I mean, I just played through the remaster of FFX, and while I like it, that game has one of the most jacked up encounter rates ever. I haven't played any of the games before IV, but every Final Fantasy I've played has always had trash mob encounters on the world map that do nothing but stall your progress artificially.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The combat doesn't get remotely involving until around chapter 10, which is about 20 hours deep. There's 1st impressions and then there's deep first impressions for people that casually play games and see what amounts to spamming buttons every once in a while.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

They made a game where every random battle was as involved as a boss fight. It was called Xenosaga 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Andrast posted:

padding

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Andrast posted:

the same could be said of every game, they all have the same reason, its to fire off the pleasure centers when you win

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lightning Returns Final Fantasy... TO THE STORE get it

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There's just nothing interesting about the trash you fight and it hits recolour territory surprisingly quickly. There's no enemy skills to capture, there's nothing to steal, most monster fights have very few unique challenges (and most of those involve "stagger the enemy to win" which you'd do anyway). There are no gimmicky enemies to break up the tedium, no Magic Pots asking for Elixirs, no Zombie enemies you can kill with healing magic, I could go on.
Coupled with the corridor level design and the lack of towns or interactable NPCs, the game quickly becomes a blur cutscene to cutscene. XIII-2 at least spiced it up with the recruitable monsters and the non-linear storyline (yeah I know it's all linear, but the illusion was there and it was presented reasonably well).

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

forbidden lesbian posted:

the same could be said of every game, they all have the same reason, its to fire off the pleasure centers when you win

This.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im a Pavlovian dog, and the final fantasy battle victory theme is my bell

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Doesn't Bravely Second come out in JP toward the end of April? Honestly can't wait for its NA announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Hah, I thought the same thing and saw someone already made this reply. It's sad day when I agree with you two. But yeah, it's fun.

I'm actually enjoying FFX remaster a lot. The bonus fights are challenging and almost every one counters if you just attack, forcing some variability in strategy. Of course, it doesn't stop auto-haste and auto-Phoenix if you just want to still X mutton mash...