Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bottom fishing in Pensacola has been problematic due to all the decorator crabs. Not sure how I'm supposed get around that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Bottom fishing in Pensacola has been problematic due to all the decorator crabs. Not sure how I'm supposed get around that.

Crab leg feast!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

fknlo posted:

Crab leg feast!

Too small to bother.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Crab cakes?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Got the fam out fishing today, it was pretty slow overall but we managed a 30" northern. Beautiful day to be on the ice though!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Nice pike!

Winter in Sweden has been pretty mild, and now after less than a month of below freezing temperatures, we're back to +5 autumnish weather. So no ice fishing, as the're only ice on the shallow bays. So today i went fishing on a promontory where the water deepens fast (deep water = no ice = spin fishing :D).

Caught a fat one, and the water is so cold so it was almost too easy reeling it in. I'm happy about it because i've had an appetite for fresh fish for a while now, haven't fished anything since this autumn. Now i get one almost perfect in size (for consumption). Store-bought fresh affordable fish in Stockholm is hard to come by, so catching several dinners worth of delicious pike-meat while clearing ones mind out fishing is a godsend.

Sadly, as i found out when i cut the fish open, she was full of roe, which is part of why she looked so fat. The fish was very wellnourished and stocky even when excluding the roe, her stomach was stuffed with like 6 small perches. Amazing how they still can eat so well when it's so cold in the water they swim in.

I wouldn't want the nutritious bounty of roe go to waste, i did as my Portuguese side of the family taught me and fried them with eggs and flour. Pretty delicious.

First time i've gone spin-fishing during winter, i was doubtful if i could attract anything with a spinning reel when the water is so cold. But now i know i can. It helps that i reeled in slowly with more pauses than usual, and that underwater from the pormontory i stand on turns into a deep verge. As far as i know, pikes, when water is cold mostly hang around in the warmer denser waters nearer to the bottom and sometimes climb up near verges and grounds during the day to look for prey. Which seems to be what the pike i caught was doing.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 20, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Falukorv posted:

Nice pike!

Winter in Sweden has been pretty mild, and now after less than a month of below freezing temperatures, we're back to +5 autumnish weather. So no ice fishing, as the're only ice on the shallow bays. So today i went fishing on a promontory where the water deepens fast (deep water = no ice = spin fishing :D).

Caught a fat one, and the water is so cold so it was almost too easy reeling it in. I'm happy about it because i've had an appetite for fresh fish for a while now, haven't fished anything since this autumn. Now i get one almost perfect in size (for consumption). Store-bought fresh affordable fish in Stockholm is hard to come by, so catching several dinners worth of delicious pike-meat while clearing ones mind out fishing is a godsend.

Sadly, as i found out when i cut the fish open, she was full of roe, which is part of why she looked so fat. The fish was very wellnourished and stocky even when excluding the roe, her stomach was stuffed with like 6 small perches. Amazing how they still can eat so well when it's so cold in the water they swim in.

I wouldn't want the nutritious bounty of roe go to waste, i did as my Portuguese side of the family taught me and fried them with eggs and flour. Pretty delicious.

First time i've gone spin-fishing during winter, i was doubtful if i could attract anything with a spinning reel when the water is so cold. But now i know i can. It helps that i reeled in slowly with more pauses than usual, and that underwater from the pormontory i stand on turns into a deep verge. As far as i know, pikes, when water is cold mostly hang around in the warmer denser waters nearer to the bottom and sometimes climb up near verges and grounds to look for prey. Which seems to be what the pike i caught was doing.

Wow, I've never seen a pike with those proportions! They must grow a bit different over there.

Do you have access to live bait over there? If so, that's a great option for pike, any time of the year. In fact, during the winter a lot of people over here use dead bait(cisco, herring) under a tip-up for pike.

Not sure how many lines you are allowed to use, but throwing a medium sized sucker minnow(4-7") under a bobber is a great way to catch pike. All the better if you can use a couple lines and cover some different depths. Or you know, throw out a bobber line and then cast a spinner with another.

I've never eaten and fish roe before, but a friend of mine ate some raw walleye eggs last year while we were cleaning fish. He said it was good but he's a crazy SOB so I didn't try any.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Man, how did I miss the fishing thread hahah.
I live in NE Ontario, land of a kabillion lakes. Just moved here a couple of years ago, and I'm having a bitch of a time adjusting to the shield country lakes.

I grew up in Manitoba, didn't fish much until about 6-7 years ago. Got fairly into it doing a study on Northern Pike breeding habitat as part of my University degree (I know way too much about pike now, wheeee). Fishing southern Manitoba is primarily soft-bottom and river systems, with most lakes of any size being man-made reservoirs. I could nail pike all day long, and was fairly decent with pickerl.

Any suggestions for someone moving from a lot of experience with soft-bottom lakes to rock-bottom? I can't seem to find a reliable source of contour maps, so most of the days I've been out on the boat have been run around like an idiot and hope. Then there's adapting to different food types and lure usage, but that will come I guess. My primary target is walleye, but there are some bass and trout around as well. I like catching pike, but the wife won't eat them, so I'm not fishing for them.

Awesome thread. And for ice-fishers out there, if you don't have an auger and don't want to spend a ton, look at one of these:

http://www.icemasteradapter.com/

Went to my town's annual big ice-fishing derby on Saturday, had a blast. One of the guys I was fishing with had something like this. With his Makita drill and that, he did about two dozen holes on a single battery. Way smaller than a gas auger, lighter, and a lot cheaper - if you have a drill, grab a cheap $60 auger and an adapter and you are set.

I didn't catch anything - had a few nibbles, nothing coming close to biting. A few people in our group of like 18 people got some smallish pike, and a few perch.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I stopped in at "Guns, Fishing, & Other Stuff" the other day, it's a big new store that turned out to have, like, 300 rifles and 150 pistols on display, plus hundreds of fishing rods.

And out of those fishing rods, I could not find a single fly rod.

I finally found, on an almost empty rack in the back corner, three fly "kits". One for children. One for $30. And one for $200.

I'd been hoping to get a rig for about $100, something like what I have, for my brother-in-law since we're planning to fish Russian River in two weeks. Instead I saw a really loving sad sight.

We'll just have to hope Dicks still has the same thing I bought for myself last year.

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 24, 2015

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Siochain posted:

Man, how did I miss the fishing thread hahah.
I live in NE Ontario, land of a kabillion lakes. Just moved here a couple of years ago, and I'm having a bitch of a time adjusting to the shield country lakes.

I grew up in Manitoba, didn't fish much until about 6-7 years ago. Got fairly into it doing a study on Northern Pike breeding habitat as part of my University degree (I know way too much about pike now, wheeee). Fishing southern Manitoba is primarily soft-bottom and river systems, with most lakes of any size being man-made reservoirs. I could nail pike all day long, and was fairly decent with pickerl.

Any suggestions for someone moving from a lot of experience with soft-bottom lakes to rock-bottom? I can't seem to find a reliable source of contour maps, so most of the days I've been out on the boat have been run around like an idiot and hope. Then there's adapting to different food types and lure usage, but that will come I guess. My primary target is walleye, but there are some bass and trout around as well. I like catching pike, but the wife won't eat them, so I'm not fishing for them.

Awesome thread. And for ice-fishers out there, if you don't have an auger and don't want to spend a ton, look at one of these:

http://www.icemasteradapter.com/

Went to my town's annual big ice-fishing derby on Saturday, had a blast. One of the guys I was fishing with had something like this. With his Makita drill and that, he did about two dozen holes on a single battery. Way smaller than a gas auger, lighter, and a lot cheaper - if you have a drill, grab a cheap $60 auger and an adapter and you are set.

I didn't catch anything - had a few nibbles, nothing coming close to biting. A few people in our group of like 18 people got some smallish pike, and a few perch.

You say you have a boat? That will help a lot, do you have a depth finder? A depth finder will help find nice pieces of structure that otherwise could be tough to locate.

I'd target your low light periods(sunrise, sunset) and try to find some rock piles or structure on the lake to fish. You can spend thousands of dollars on walleye lures and rods, but I'd focus on two main strategies, trolling and jigging.

Buy a few size 5 and size 7 rapala shad raps and troll around the lake. Time of year will play a big role in how deep/shallow the walleye are, but generally if you troll right before dusk the walleye will come up shallower to feed just about any time of the year. Try trolling on the edge of weed lines if the lakes have defined weed lines. Trolling is great on an unknown body of water because your speed is low enough that you can really pay attention to the water, if you have a depth finder you can keep an eye on that to try and locate some rock piles or reefs. I'd troll in the evening in anywhere from 8-15 feet of water(Every lake will be different), but you want your crankbait to be right on the bottom, occasionally hitting the bottom is best.

Contour maps really really help, I'd target points, rock piles, reefs, and inside turns. Once you start picking up a few fish here or there, take note of when and where. Then, try to find other similar pieces of structure on that lake or other lakes.

Jigging is another great/cheap option, buy some jigheads, I like 1/8 - 1/4 ounce, find a spot that looks 'fishy'(what I mentioned above), and slowly drift over that spot with your jig just bouncing on the bottom. Soft plastic tails will work, but minnows/crawlers/leeches work great as well. With a light breeze you can just shut off the motor and drift over an area a few times, if you get bit, mark that location and re-position yourself to drift through again.

I leave for Ely, MN tomorrow to do some rainbow trout/splake/lake trout fishing. I couldn't be more excited. Hopefully I can come back here next week with some awesome trout pics :). Never fished for these species before but I"m fishing with a guide so I have a pretty good feeling.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

DoctaFun posted:

You say you have a boat? That will help a lot, do you have a depth finder? A depth finder will help find nice pieces of structure that otherwise could be tough to locate.

I'd target your low light periods(sunrise, sunset) and try to find some rock piles or structure on the lake to fish. You can spend thousands of dollars on walleye lures and rods, but I'd focus on two main strategies, trolling and jigging.

Buy a few size 5 and size 7 rapala shad raps and troll around the lake. Time of year will play a big role in how deep/shallow the walleye are, but generally if you troll right before dusk the walleye will come up shallower to feed just about any time of the year. Try trolling on the edge of weed lines if the lakes have defined weed lines. Trolling is great on an unknown body of water because your speed is low enough that you can really pay attention to the water, if you have a depth finder you can keep an eye on that to try and locate some rock piles or reefs. I'd troll in the evening in anywhere from 8-15 feet of water(Every lake will be different), but you want your crankbait to be right on the bottom, occasionally hitting the bottom is best.

Contour maps really really help, I'd target points, rock piles, reefs, and inside turns. Once you start picking up a few fish here or there, take note of when and where. Then, try to find other similar pieces of structure on that lake or other lakes.

Jigging is another great/cheap option, buy some jigheads, I like 1/8 - 1/4 ounce, find a spot that looks 'fishy'(what I mentioned above), and slowly drift over that spot with your jig just bouncing on the bottom. Soft plastic tails will work, but minnows/crawlers/leeches work great as well. With a light breeze you can just shut off the motor and drift over an area a few times, if you get bit, mark that location and re-position yourself to drift through again.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, have a boat. Used boat, leaks a bit, but still goes like hell and has a pump to keep me from sinking. And I have a fishfinder/depth finder on the way from Basspro already (boat came with the transducer, but no fish finder). Its going to help a ton, since that'll let me find the shelves/dropoffs.

I think part of our issues is getting out too late in the morning, or too early in the evening. I really need to get out at 5am a few mornings to try and catch the early walleye. I have a good variety of crankbaits, and I'll grab some rapala' shads to go along with. I'm used to fishing shallow, weedy, sandy-bottom lakes for pike, so I used them, but differently.

Have a trolling motor on the boat as well, so we'll just need to work on finding the spots, making a note of them, and working them for a bit before looking for another. Part of my issue is likely not running my lures deep enough, which I'll work on once the lakes aren't hiding under 6 feet of ice.

Good luck on your trip! Post some great pics when you get them!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Everything is frozen and I am kinda sick of it. I have been buying tackle to make myself feel better, anyone here use Z-Man stuff? I have liked the stuff of theirs I have tried, but it is a pain to rig.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

bunnielab posted:

Everything is frozen and I am kinda sick of it. I have been buying tackle to make myself feel better, anyone here use Z-Man stuff? I have liked the stuff of theirs I have tried, but it is a pain to rig.

I just got a new set of orders to a different Navy base, and I show up with all of my tackle.

To find out that all the lakes are frozen. There's no way I'm ice fishing. None at all. Guess I gotta wait a couple of months until everything thaws.

Why couldn't I have gotten orders back to Pensacola?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I just got a new set of orders to a different Navy base, and I show up with all of my tackle.

To find out that all the lakes are frozen. There's no way I'm ice fishing. None at all. Guess I gotta wait a couple of months until everything thaws.

Why couldn't I have gotten orders back to Pensacola?

Wish you had. I'm having a hard time finding any decent fishing from shore. The loving decorator crabs are just killing me. Cant even really eat the fuckers but they swarm my bait in seconds. When the weather gets a bit nicer we will be trying our luck on the base boats and kayaks.

Pensacola looks so promising but its hard not knowing the area.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

LingcodKilla posted:

When the weather gets a bit nicer we will be trying our luck on the base boats and kayaks.

Oh my god, if it aint frozen over I don't want to hear about your weather. I was yaking in December when it was like 30-40 out. If you live in FL you are more or less honor-bound to fish year round and post pictures for the rest of us.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bunnielab posted:

Oh my god, if it aint frozen over I don't want to hear about your weather. I was yaking in December when it was like 30-40 out. If you live in FL you are more or less honor-bound to fish year round and post pictures for the rest of us.

But it was really cold here. I think it was in the 50s at one point. What do you think I am, an eskimo?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

swickles posted:

But it was really cold here. I think it was in the 50s at one point. What do you think I am, an eskimo?

Yeah I dont own any water proof pants and the rain was making my jeans chafe. gently caress that noise.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
I had an awesome time up in Ely, MN this past weekend chasing lake trout and rainbows. We fished with a guide and it was a really cool experience. I personally didn't catch many fish, but the guide caught quite a few and I got a few decent photos. I would love to try it again sometime now that I kind of know what I'm doing, but it definitely is a different game than fishing crappie or walleye or something.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hey Florida guys, I am heading to Miami next week and might have Friday and Saturday free to fish. I am working on Key Biscayne and was thinking of renting a kayak and fishing the bay.

I am going to bring a M action spinning rig and maybe an UL if I have room. Other then the popping cork/fake shrimp combo, what tackle should I be looking to pick up?

Would also love a rec for a rental place if anyone knows a good one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

bunnielab posted:

Hey Florida guys, I am heading to Miami next week and might have Friday and Saturday free to fish. I am working on Key Biscayne and was thinking of renting a kayak and fishing the bay.

I am going to bring a M action spinning rig and maybe an UL if I have room. Other then the popping cork/fake shrimp combo, what tackle should I be looking to pick up?

I am extremely far from Miami. I hope someone hooks you up though.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

bunnielab posted:

Head a little down south to Crook and Crooks. They are the best bait and tackle shop in the area. Key Biscayne will have some rental places and such too. Are you a Florida resident? If not you might need to look into licensing for a few days. Also, I have fished from the bridge on key Biscayne tons of time. You will most likely pull up grunt or snapper, but sometimes you get something interesting. There are tons of places on Key Biscayne to fish from and rentals galore. Also, a nice little state park at the very end.

Bottom fishing in Miami will get you stuff quite frequently. Put squid, shrimp, anything on a hook with a sinker and about 2 feet of leader. Haven't done much kayak fishing here, so I don't know the best setup.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Head a little down south to Crook and Crooks. They are the best bait and tackle shop in the area. Key Biscayne will have some rental places and such too. Are you a Florida resident? If not you might need to look into licensing for a few days. Also, I have fished from the bridge on key Biscayne tons of time. You will most likely pull up grunt or snapper, but sometimes you get something interesting. There are tons of places on Key Biscayne to fish from and rentals galore. Also, a nice little state park at the very end.

Bottom fishing in Miami will get you stuff quite frequently. Put squid, shrimp, anything on a hook with a sinker and about 2 feet of leader. Haven't done much kayak fishing here, so I don't know the best setup.

I am from MD so I will have to buy a license for a day or so.

My great hope is to rent a kayak and go out in that. I have never wade/surf fished and the crappy pole I have to bring is not going to be good for either. Worst case I guess I soak some bait but I really want to paddle around.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

DoctaFun posted:

Wow, I've never seen a pike with those proportions! They must grow a bit different over there.

Do you have access to live bait over there? If so, that's a great option for pike, any time of the year. In fact, during the winter a lot of people over here use dead bait(cisco, herring) under a tip-up for pike.

Not sure how many lines you are allowed to use, but throwing a medium sized sucker minnow(4-7") under a bobber is a great way to catch pike. All the better if you can use a couple lines and cover some different depths. Or you know, throw out a bobber line and then cast a spinner with another.

I've never eaten and fish roe before, but a friend of mine ate some raw walleye eggs last year while we were cleaning fish. He said it was good but he's a crazy SOB so I didn't try any.

I guess so, i've never seen a pike that stocked with either before, but i catch them mainly in summer and this is my first winter pike. Well, early autumn this year i did cath one as almost as stocked "meat-wise" but with none of the roe. Almost, since this one had a higher back and a little bit meatier overall for it's length.

Live bait, hard to come by in stores. Dead bait you can catch it and prepare yourself which isn't so feasible this time of year. Otherwise summer or late spring and early autumn you can easily cath your own, by angling for bleak, small perch and roach. Or in certain spots where they tend to mass one can cath smelt with a landing net. Also if i take an hour long trip to the Baltic, there's loads of herring summertime. Also that time of the year can be bought in some stores.

I've never used live or dead bait when fishing before, but it sounds promising! Some people here do it too, mostly with dead bait, with success.
I don't understand what you mean by multiple lines. My experience with different techniques is pretty limited, i have only one spinning rod, which i've so far used with wobblers, spoonlures and spinners, with the one line.

The law here is pretty iffy concerning live bait. Live bait fish can be sold in certain places (where the tanks they live in is up to standards imitating their natural environment), but only for the intention of killing it before using as bait. Live bait can be used in conjunction with fishing. I.e you catch a bait fish yourself during a fishing session and then use it as bait during that same session.
Then it's just easier catching a bunch of bait fish during one session, kill them, freeze them and use them as dead bait at a later opportunity as needed. Plus, i'm not really personally comfortable using live bait, i'm a bit too squeamish for that.
Anyway i think it will have to wait until it gets a little warmer for using bait.

Oh, went out fishing today, and i caught my biggest pike so far:

Chopped in half, for cooking later (yum!):

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 6, 2015

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fishing Russian River tomorrow and Sunday, hopefully I'll have some luck... May also try the tidewater area of Salmon Creek at Bodega Bay, although I don't know if my little for rod is appropriate there

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Falukorv posted:

The law here is pretty iffy concerning live bait. Live bait fish can be sold in certain places (where the tanks they live in is up to standards imitating their natural environment), but only for the intention of killing it before using as bait. Live bait can be used in conjunction with fishing. I.e you catch a bait fish yourself during a fishing session and then use it as bait during that same session.

That is an odd way to work things. What country are you in? I assume from that fat pike somewhere in northern europe?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Falukorv posted:

I guess so, i've never seen a pike that stocked with either before, but i catch them mainly in summer and this is my first winter pike. Well, early autumn this year i did cath one as almost as stocked "meat-wise" but with none of the roe. Almost, since this one had a higher back and a little bit meatier overall for it's length.

Live bait, hard to come by in stores. Dead bait you can catch it and prepare yourself which isn't so feasible this time of year. Otherwise summer or late spring and early autumn you can easily cath your own, by angling for bleak, small perch and roach. Or in certain spots where they tend to mass one can cath smelt with a landing net. Also if i take an hour long trip to the Baltic, there's loads of herring summertime. Also that time of the year can be bought in some stores.

I've never used live or dead bait when fishing before, but it sounds promising! Some people here do it too, mostly with dead bait, with success.
I don't understand what you mean by multiple lines. My experience with different techniques is pretty limited, i have only one spinning rod, which i've so far used with wobblers, spoonlures and spinners, with the one line.

Then it's just easier catching a bunch of bait fish during one session, kill them, freeze them and use them as dead bait at a later opportunity as needed. Plus, i'm not really personally comfortable using live bait, i'm a bit too squeamish for that.
Anyway i think it will have to wait until it gets a little warmer for using bait.

Oh, went out fishing today, and i caught my biggest pike so far:

Chopped in half, for cooking later (yum!):

Nice pike! All I mean by two lines is using two rods at one time. Like have some live/dead bait sitting under a float on one line, while you are casting a spinnerbait or something with the other.

But it sounds like that's more trouble than it's worth with those bait laws :).

Oh, and get yourself a filet knife!

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

bunnielab posted:

That is an odd way to work things. What country are you in? I assume from that fat pike somewhere in northern europe?

Yeah, had no idea it was that complicated until i decided to look it up. I've always known in the back of my head that they were kind of strict about it, but didn't know the finer details.

Yes, i'm in Sweden. Are northern european pikes known to be fat? Haven't heard much about how pikes are outside of Sweden really.. Except that French and Finns in general value them higher as food than Swedes.

DoctaFun posted:

Nice pike! All I mean by two lines is using two rods at one time. Like have some live/dead bait sitting under a float on one line, while you are casting a spinnerbait or something with the other.

But it sounds like that's more trouble than it's worth with those bait laws :).

Oh, and get yourself a filet knife!

ah ok! Thanks for the tips!
It's still very legal and feasible if it's gathered around summer.

A filet knife is on my "to buy list", along with a fishing balance.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

bunnielab posted:

I'm so drat sick of snow and solid water right now and I just want to paddle around and catch anything at all and also I wish I could go to Florida too.

Just found out I get to go to Alaska for a week in June and go after some halibut, though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

bunnielab posted:

I am from MD so I will have to buy a license for a day or so.

My great hope is to rent a kayak and go out in that. I have never wade/surf fished and the crappy pole I have to bring is not going to be good for either. Worst case I guess I soak some bait but I really want to paddle around.

If you put a live shrimp on a bottom rig and hit anywhere that has fish near Miami, you will not be "soaking bait." Everything in those waters eats live shrimp. Pull shrimp along the bottom very slowly for flounder. Put them next to pilings for snappers and sheepshead. Let them hang out in open water under a bobber and catch whatever else is in the area. I've gotten Jack Crevalle and spotted trout that way. Sheepshead also like to hang out around the rocks at breakwaters, but take a VERY light touch to catch; they've got tiny mouths and are skittish.

If you put a finger mullet on a swimming rig you can also catch trout, flounder, jacks, reds, etc etc. If you find a flounder with a mullet, then you cast in EXACTLY the same spot, and get another flounder. Repeat until they're too small to keep. The flounder stack up with the current in a pecking order. Biggest in front. When the biggest leaves, the next one moves up into his spot. If you catch a trout, put the bait back in the same spot; trout like to school/shoal.

Now for my question:

I'm in the Chicago area with a couple of spinning reels. Is there anything I can catch from the shore at this time of year, or is it just too cold?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Fishing report for today mouth Pensacola bay. Weather was awesome mellow. Low wind no chop. No fish either. We caught what I was told was squirrel fish and the damned thing bit me. Does everything really have teeth? Wtf.
About 10yrds from us some dudes caught a monster redfish. Looked to be 36+ inches. They took too long taking pictures of it and it went belly up when they threw it back. They ditched out fast after that. I was considering going and seeing if it just needed to be vented and a bull shark came and crushed it right in front of us. Had to be 10+ ft.

Waste not want not.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Falukorv posted:

Yes, i'm in Sweden. Are northern european pikes known to be fat? Haven't heard much about how pikes are outside of Sweden really.. Except that French and Finns in general value them higher as food than Swedes.

I think of pikes as a cold water fish and, at least in america, it seems like the further north you go the bigger and fatter they get. Around the mid Atlantic where I live, a 20" pickerel is an exciting thing to catch.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

If you put a live shrimp on a bottom rig and hit anywhere that has fish near Miami, you will not be "soaking bait." Everything in those waters eats live shrimp. Pull shrimp along the bottom very slowly for flounder. Put them next to pilings for snappers and sheepshead. Let them hang out in open water under a bobber and catch whatever else is in the area. I've gotten Jack Crevalle and spotted trout that way. Sheepshead also like to hang out around the rocks at breakwaters, but take a VERY light touch to catch; they've got tiny mouths and are skittish.

If you put a finger mullet on a swimming rig you can also catch trout, flounder, jacks, reds, etc etc. If you find a flounder with a mullet, then you cast in EXACTLY the same spot, and get another flounder. Repeat until they're too small to keep. The flounder stack up with the current in a pecking order. Biggest in front. When the biggest leaves, the next one moves up into his spot. If you catch a trout, put the bait back in the same spot; trout like to school/shoal.

Thanks for the info. One of my crew guys for this week is big into fishing so I am going to pick his brains for some spots if I can't find a decent yak rental place.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Falukorv posted:

Pike around here in MN can get quite fat, but normally they don't get fat until they get fairly long. Anything under 20" is normally very skinny here, well especially if you are in the Twin Cities area as too many nice pike get harvested from these lakes :(.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Fishing report for today mouth Pensacola bay. Weather was awesome mellow. Low wind no chop. No fish either. We caught what I was told was squirrel fish and the damned thing bit me. Does everything really have teeth? Wtf.

quote:

and a bull shark came and crushed it right in front of us. Had to be 10+ ft.

Waste not want not.

You've basically answered your own question, but yes. Literally everything has teeth, half of it has spikey spines and a few are fairly venemous. Also, the gators have been known to climb into trees. ENJOY! :D

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Going out fishing tomorrow! First time this year! The catfish bite is apparently pretty hot right now at Buckeye Lake. The shad are starting to move in to spawn. Nothing like active catfish AND active Saugeye!

Update since I last posted... a LONG time ago! The ice is melting in central Ohio, though this place is still garbage. After my last post talking about Saugeye fishing, I caught roughly 15 of them and a few beautiful rock bass.

Got a bunch of these for musky fishing, $3 a piece. Lost them all in 2 weeks. Was pretty sad.

Does anyone ever check pawn shops for fishing gear? I find little gems there constantly. Pawn Shops generally don't know dick about rods and reels, you can tell them about how X or Y is wrong and you'll need to completely take it apart and rebuild it to fix it, that is, unless they want to do it for you for the price they want.

Pawn shop wanted $150 for these. One was missing the original nut to secure the reel in place as well as the spacer. They were both a little tight, needed oil, etc. I told the guy they needed rebuilt (which they did need taken apart and oiled, badly). Brand new line, complete pay lake rigs and both working lights. Talked him down to $80 for both of them, "because of all of the work they needed." Twenty minutes and $0.50 of labor, and I have two working reels. I gave one of the reels to my buddy for Christmas and... got this one from the wife!

I didn't have the heart to tell her she spent too much money on me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Ironsolid posted:

Going out fishing tomorrow! First time this year! The catfish bite is apparently pretty hot right now at Buckeye Lake. The shad are starting to move in to spawn. Nothing like active catfish AND active Saugeye!

Update since I last posted... a LONG time ago! The ice is melting in central Ohio, though this place is still garbage. After my last post talking about Saugeye fishing, I caught roughly 15 of them and a few beautiful rock bass.

Got a bunch of these for musky fishing, $3 a piece. Lost them all in 2 weeks. Was pretty sad.

Does anyone ever check pawn shops for fishing gear? I find little gems there constantly. Pawn Shops generally don't know dick about rods and reels, you can tell them about how X or Y is wrong and you'll need to completely take it apart and rebuild it to fix it, that is, unless they want to do it for you for the price they want.

Pawn shop wanted $150 for these. One was missing the original nut to secure the reel in place as well as the spacer. They were both a little tight, needed oil, etc. I told the guy they needed rebuilt (which they did need taken apart and oiled, badly). Brand new line, complete pay lake rigs and both working lights. Talked him down to $80 for both of them, "because of all of the work they needed." Twenty minutes and $0.50 of labor, and I have two working reels. I gave one of the reels to my buddy for Christmas and... got this one from the wife!

I didn't have the heart to tell her she spent too much money on me.

Love those over sized cranks. Nice reels!

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
I was pretty happy with the reels, just wish I could find some more of those cranks for muskies. I guess double twister creature jigs will have to do.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I don't spend much time in pawn shops, but flea markets in the south are prime territory for tackle and stuff. A lot of it is poo poo, but occasionally a sweet little old lady will be selling off her dead husband's collection. More Lazy Ikes, Jitterbugs, and Hula Poppers than you can shake a :haw: ugly stik at.

My girl's dad's latest hobby is old reel collecting and fixing. He's amassed quite a collection of old Mitchell Garcia reels and got them back into pretty good condition. Most of them came from flea markets.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I know almost nothing about fishing and am trying to find a good starting rod that has the least chance of breaking or loving with me. I don't have archives and this thread (while great) doesn't mention much about the rods and reels to buy in the OP, so please give me some recommendations. Preferably something off amazon. I'm in upstate New York and plan on fishing from a very small boat or a dock, mostly in lakes.

I'd also like to buy a single fillet knife, I really like Mora knives for woodcarving and am probably going to go with theirs. Is the difference between four and six inches major for just catching fish big enough to eat? I imagine regardless of knife length you get your fingers in there and as a beginner I'll probably be having to recut and descale it and get pretty messy anyway. Are most serrated backs on a knife fine for descaling?

And lastly, what's the most efficient and ethical way to kill a fish in a very small boat? I know all the anglers who film stuff for YouTube just throw them all in a cooler, but I'd rather just make the kill instantly.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
I personally like 6 inch knives. 4 would probably be ok as long as your not trying to filet anything too big. As far as killing them quickly and humanely, a screwdriver or nail to the brain works. Depending on the species, just behind and above the eye. Do you have a local big box sporting goods store? They usually have good deals on beginner rods and reels. I would ignore most of the cheap (less than $20 or so) bundles because they are mostly garbage. Just ask in store and someone in the fishing section should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I just use a cheapo Berkeley 6" filet knife from Walmart and it's never failed me. I sharpen it before every round if fileting and give it a couple strokes on the sharpener between every fish. Also is excellent for scaling. Those serrated scalers are a gimmick IMO, but everyone has their way. I knew a whole lot of rednecks who swear by a spoon, but I couldn't make it work.

I also use that for dispatching fish if there's not a rock handy. Slip it in right under the spine behind the head. If it's sharp enough, you can sever the spine cleanly without cutting the head off.

What are you fishing for? That will determine your gear and easy ways of dispatching your catch.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 16, 2015