Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Wales Grey posted:

But this is literally how internet packets work*? Maybe Lester's gotten Net Neutrality confused with the now-defunct "Fairness Doctrine"?

*sorta

Fellas, I'm starting to think that maybe-no, hear me out on this-just maybe, Mike Lester is a disingenuous idiot who intentionally misrepresents things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

This argument really gets to me because the bandwidth industry's model, where you have a choice of one and exactly one provider depending on where you live, actually undermines capitalism. They're literally a cartel, in that they have agreed not to compete with each other. They actually need more regulation in order for the invisible hand to have any effect on them at all. A good capitalist should be clamoring for antitrust action against them.

Those monopolies were government-granted.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

El Scotch posted:

Was everyone's :unsmigghh: literally because they didn't see the background? :psyduck:

Even without the background I doubt anyone assumed something other than "republicans being contrary". It's still an incredibly lovely "a thing happened and also I hate the other political group" cartoon.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Haha, oh man, what if the Federal government ran National Parks? Wouldn't that be completely insane.

Wait a second...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
So Kelly's Leonard Nimoy obituary cartoon should obviosuly involve Spock being forced to say "Live long and prosper" for all eternity. The question is, is that Heaven or Hell?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Kegluneq posted:

New Bennett:

lol glad i bothered reading this page, worth it

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Baron Bifford posted:

but no foreign power has seriously threatened American liberties since the War of 1812.
It's funny how it went down in history books as a defensive war for the US

The US is the one who declared war, with 2 intentions: 1) stopping Britain mpressment of US sailors who were traveling in british waters and 2) liberating the british colonists from british rule and annexing canada. The warhawks led by Henry Clay were much more interested in the latter. We expected to be welcomed as liberators and sweep across with superior numbers but all the untrained and poorly disciplined soldiers were fuckups that were good for nothing but plundering canadian farmers' lands, and could never press far into Canada, and ended up losing some territory. The brits decided to just burn some cities like baltimore and DC (in the way the US bombs middle eastern countries today) to make it harder for the US to fight, and that strategy was actually working (the US was in danger of debt default) but then there was napoleon and the brits p. much gave up and said "we'll give you whatever so we don't have to fight two wars at once. the european is the important one."

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
e: double pots

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Garrand posted:

I'm pretty certain is was the fact that he did a dress cartoon.

I'm just proud that none of us freaked out over his keyboard only having 28 keys.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't even envision what the GOP will be like when there is a Republican president again. Their identity has completely shifted over to being the party that opposes the president, so what will they do without that?

Wake up from their dream and go back to despising president Clinton/Castro/Davis?

loquacius posted:

This analogy makes so little sense I'm starting to wonder if I'm the one that's crazy, so nice job Lester I guess

What right-wing blog mangled this issue so badly that this is his interpretation? I'm genuinely curious what kind of spin he managed to see to produce this cartoon in his mind

Check the crazy email thread in about 15 minutes.

Mo_Steel posted:

A strong contender for the worst net neutrality cartoon here Lester, seeing as it doesn't even touch on anything to do with net neutrality whatsoever.

How hard would it be to have the FCC chairman tie down a Comcast rep to some train tracks with ropes called Net Neutrality and then have Obama twirling his moustache while driving the train of government regulation towards him as innocent Americans watch and lady liberty cries? Maybe put a sarcastic quip in the corner that says "More like Internot" :colbert:

Everyone rightfully despises Comcast, so trying to drum up support for the cable companies doesn't work. Which is why Cable companies never once tried to make this about asking people to defend them, it was about defending FREEDOM! And a Free Internet! It would only backfire f conservatives actually cared what the facts were.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

As far as I can tell there are basically three ways conservatives criticize net neutrality.

1. Saying telcos should be able to screw you over if they want. ~*Free Market Magic*~ will fix everything!
2. Claiming it's a slippery slope fallacy to more government regulation.
3. Completely misrepresenting what net neutrality means.

Not sure if Lester is going for #2 or #3, but given that it's Lester I'm guessing #3, the dumber option.

I think it's #3 with a dogwhistle. Lester's readers are supposed to identify with the Oppressed Sweater-Wearing White Middle Class American Man, who's being forced to move along and give a turn to the women, thugs, and hippies who are in line behind him. In other words, the same thing Lester always whines about.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wales Grey posted:

But this is literally how internet packets work*? Maybe Lester's gotten Net Neutrality confused with the now-defunct "Fairness Doctrine"?

*sorta

That's exactly how the right has been framing NN since the start.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

loquacius posted:

This argument really gets to me because the bandwidth industry's model, where you have a choice of one and exactly one provider depending on where you live, actually undermines capitalism. They're literally a cartel, in that they have agreed not to compete with each other. They actually need more regulation in order for the invisible hand to have any effect on them at all. A good capitalist should be clamoring for antitrust action against them.

This is all because Americans have some weird allergy to public infrastructure. If the telecom/fiber system was publicly managed and run there would be tons of local isps. Instead we have a mismash of competing lines and really no reason to unite them.

It is kinda funny Comcast has recently been pro net neutrality and even adopted a version after 2011 accusations of throttling.

Edit: also NBC acquisition agreement specifically. Which stops on 2018. Now these net neutrality rulings over those will take over then until it will use the 2010 standards. To clarify since I was on my phone for the post.

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 28, 2015

Vulpes Vvardenfell
Jan 30, 2011

Kegluneq posted:

New Bennett:

I wouldn't mind this cartoon so much if he'd actually drawn the dress instead of sticking a photo of it into the cartoon, which just looks out of place and makes the cartoon look cheap any lazy. Usually I love Bennett, even during the periods when his cartoons aren't particularly inspired... but he rare occasions that Bennett sticks a photo into his cartoon instead of drawing it... those are the when Bennett is bad.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

Technowolf posted:

Mississippi Update

If you're going to copy a joke from Nate Beeler, you can generally be sure of two things:

1) Your artwork won't be as good as his was.

2) The joke was probably lousy to begin with.

So, really, why bother?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Vulpes Vvardenfell posted:

I wouldn't mind this cartoon so much if he'd actually drawn the dress instead of sticking a photo of it into the cartoon, which just looks out of place and makes the cartoon look cheap any lazy. Usually I love Bennett, even during the periods when his cartoons aren't particularly inspired... but he rare occasions that Bennett sticks a photo into his cartoon instead of drawing it... those are the when Bennett is bad.
Nah, in this case he is actually justified. If he drew the dress he would have to go one way or the other, and the joke wouldn't work. By including the actual photo he also clues in people who don't know about the online fuss as to what's going on.

Edit: I have no idea how the photo looks in print.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 28, 2015

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rodatose posted:

It's funny how it went down in history books as a defensive war for the US

The US is the one who declared war, with 2 intentions: 1) stopping Britain mpressment of US sailors who were traveling in british waters and 2) liberating the british colonists from british rule and annexing canada. The warhawks led by Henry Clay were much more interested in the latter. We expected to be welcomed as liberators and sweep across with superior numbers but all the untrained and poorly disciplined soldiers were fuckups that were good for nothing but plundering canadian farmers' lands, and could never press far into Canada, and ended up losing some territory. The brits decided to just burn some cities like baltimore and DC (in the way the US bombs middle eastern countries today) to make it harder for the US to fight, and that strategy was actually working (the US was in danger of debt default) but then there was napoleon and the brits p. much gave up and said "we'll give you whatever so we don't have to fight two wars at once. the european is the important one."

No no no, Napoleon was defeated BEFORE the british burned washington, and they never got to baltimore.

Peace was declared because both sides were tired as poo poo of war and the british had suffered several reversals of their invasions

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Deep Hurting posted:

If you're going to copy a joke from Nate Beeler, you can generally be sure of two things:

1) Your artwork won't be as good as his was.

2) The joke was probably lousy to begin with.

So, really, why bother?
It's a stupid cartoon (even Beeler's), but I find the angry terrorist holding a blooding knife in Hell saying "Welcome to Hades!" kinda cute :3:

Honestly the joke would be better if it was the same exact terrorist (angry, holding a bloody knife) in a bunch of mundane jobs and nobody treats out of the ordinary.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Kegluneq posted:

Edit: I have no idea how the photo looks in print.

I know XKCD isn't widely respected here, but this comic gave a pretty solid explanation for why different people see different things. It's a white-balance illusion.

http://xkcd.com/1492/

In print, it'll have the same effect, except made worse by the usual colour issues of translating from pixel to ink.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Somfin posted:

I know XKCD isn't widely respected here, but this comic gave a pretty solid explanation for why different people see different things. It's a white-balance illusion.

In print, it'll have the same effect, except made worse by the usual colour issues of translating from pixel to ink.
The classic example is the chess board illusion, which I think is where Munroe is making a comparison.

I think the mystery is more in that people are consistently able to see a specific colour pattern. If it were something like the Spinning Dancer illusion you'd expect the split to be 50/50 or so, but some other factor governs what people perceive so that they more often (or always) see one pattern over the other. (90% of the time the dress looks white and gold to me.)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

So have any non-lovely Nimoy tribute cartoons been published? Here's one that at least notes in passing that he was Jewish...

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Spock was also half-human half-vulcan so that's definitely a cartoon with a bit more thought than BEAM ME UP GOD

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

No more chain gangs!

Wait, why is Lt. Uhura in a cartoon now? :confused:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

What? That's clearly Pam Grier!

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Somfin posted:

It never looked white and gold to me no matter what light or filter. I don't understand how people saw gold and white still. Maybe my eyes have a odd combination of cones and rods or it maybe other things but it looks blue and black no matter what.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

I think this is a reference to one of the talking points that the FCC decision on Net Neutrality is like the ACA in that "you will have to pass it in order to see what's in it" so obviously its a secret trap to destroy the free market that they must keep hidden until it's too late.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
The dress is blue and gold. There is an overexposed photograph of it and an underexposed photograph of it. The internet lost its poo poo. End of story.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Hey, mods used my line about Lester for the new thread subtitle! :toot:

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Broken Loose posted:

The dress is blue and gold. There is an overexposed photograph of it and an underexposed photograph of it. The internet lost its poo poo. End of story.

Thank gently caress I'm not the only person who thinks that

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Axe-man posted:

It never looked white and gold to me no matter what light or filter. I don't understand how people saw gold and white still. Maybe my eyes have a odd combination of cones and rods or it maybe other things but it looks blue and black no matter what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jexnhNfOzHg

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Mo0 posted:

Thank gently caress I'm not the only person who thinks that
I think it's pretty amazing how cleanly it split all of humanity down the middle regardless of culture and gender and whatever, and I hope it got people thinking about how things that seem objective and absolute can not be. It's a valuable mindset to keep in general I think.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it's pretty amazing how cleanly it split all of humanity down the middle regardless of culture and gender and whatever, and I hope it got people thinking about how things that seem objective and absolute can not be. It's a valuable mindset to keep in general I think.

Except that those who saw blue and black are objectively correct :v:

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Muir has aged Sam and Zed's twin daughters to adulthood again

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Oh that's supposed to be a snake on the flag, I thought it was an oil derrick at first.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

tacodaemon posted:

I hope they died in agony during Civil War 2.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

tacodaemon posted:

Wow look at how amazing everything is in America in the year future AD 2032! Lots of brownish green! And way more blurry, swirling vortices than before. Shame about all the buildings and people though

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

tacodaemon posted:

Oh so I guess it's gonna take until 2019 to rescue America from Obama.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Exclamation Marx posted:

Except that those who saw blue and black are objectively correct :v:

Not when the actual colors shown in the picture are a pale blue and brown.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
But . . . the Obamuture refused to Hope and Change.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not when the actual colors shown in the picture are a pale blue and brown.

WHOA just when you thought you'd heard everything about loving Dress Coloration, Rigged Death Trap is here with some gamechanging info!!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

tacodaemon posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Oh so I guess it's gonna take until 2019 to rescue America from Obama.

I guess the rebellion starts as soon as Hillary gets elected.

• Locked thread