Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Gestalt Intellect posted:

There could be a different glitch (for :dice: I'd readily believe it) but the one in the video is actually what happens when an APC lands in the water, which makes it bounce around for no explainable reason. Here it's actually used to launch a vehicle from the ground to the top of a skyscraper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyjxCP_eOko

Vehicles are weird in BF3 and 4. Vehicles store momentum in their wheels, which means if you can wedge your vehicles somewhere you can store up tons of momentum by driving forward. Large clouds of smoke will begin to appear until you can't see anything anymore. If you get unstuck, you will rocket away at incredible speeds. I've shot Mobile AA across maps doing thing because I get wedged on a tree stump. Without anything else to do, I just hold forward until a friendly vehicle boops me and I warp away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ON-6TVtFA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p45mYck4ncQ

WWE glitches are fun times for all.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAzwK-Rfy4
agreed

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I've been playing the Evil Within, and I caught a couple of glitches. First is an enemies' physics acting weird, so I burnt it to death just in case: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSKteFiHvFA.
Next is a floating rat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXC0QCyJ3kU.
The last one isn't really a glitch, but it is some pretty blatant enemy spawning in Wolfenstein: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T1P92xKAtQ.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
So, the Phantom Bow in Battlefield 4 sometimes doesn't look right after a player fires a shot...

He didn't fire the arrow, it's floating in front of him. The player gets locked in this animation with an arrow floating a few feet in front of them sometimes. In addition to this, when the player aims to fire, their torso jerks to the side, so it looks like they are aiming somewhere else to the person they are aiming at. The arrow then fires out of the side of the players head at the enemy. :dice:

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
If you've ever played on a Private World of Warcraft server, you'll know that the quality of the servers are nowhere close to what you'll get on the official Blizzard sites. Server admins use a core package which is developed by someone, then they make their improvements and make it more "Blizz-like" one step at a time. During this some things can break in frustrating or hilarious ways.

There's an item in The Burning Crusade expansion called the Protovoltaic Magneto Collector which you're supposed to use on hostile mobs to complete the quest, but you can also use the item on NPCs and other players just like in normal Blizzard servers. Normally it is supposed to create a bubble effect that does nothing around the mob or player but for some reason when used on a player it causes their client to crash. Line of sight rules were very messed up on this private server so you could target and attack things through walls. It was fun but also a jerk move to hide behind buildings whenever an invading force raided a city and just slowly kick one hostile player off the server after another. Or friendlies.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Whoever asked about the game with the blinking, beeping oval office terminal, it was this game (and I didn't work there, I just knew a whitebox tester who did)

TopHatGenius posted:

If you've ever played on a Private World of Warcraft server, you'll know that the quality of the servers are nowhere close to what you'll get on the official Blizzard sites.

My entire stint with wow was on a private server just because I wanted to explore/screw around at random with the small suite of godmode powers (mainly teleport) the server gave everyone.

At some point we discovered this thing:

http://www.wowhead.com/item=30847/x-52-rocket-helmet

You'd think this would be in fairly high demand on a server based solely on screwing around rather than playing fairly, but this item was a bit bugged to say the least.
For whatever reason whenever you used the helmet's active ability the server would lag for a second or so and then shoot you *downwards* through the terrain into the abyss. As it was a screw-around server, it was fairly easy to get out of the abyss just by teleporting to something. Teleporting didn't reset your momentum though so it wasn't an uncommon sight to see someone spawn 3 feet above the ground in a major city, fall the 3 feet, and then immediately die of massive fall damage. Especially after an admin caught on and stuffed a bunch of them in the auction house for pennies.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

bucketmouse posted:

Whoever asked about the game with the blinking, beeping oval office terminal, it was this game (and I didn't work there, I just knew a whitebox tester who did)

I glanced briefly at that link, closed it, then went 'wait what' and opened it again.

Sadly, the mineral the miners were mining that made everything go wrong was named 'hubbardium', not 'hubrisdium'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

quote:

8 futuristic weapons including pistols, shotguns, machine guns, grenades…

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

CJacobs posted:

quote:

8 futuristic weapons including pistols, shotguns, machine guns, grenades…

Yes, but they're in space.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The Repo Man posted:

So, the Phantom Bow in Battlefield 4 sometimes doesn't look right after a player fires a shot...

He didn't fire the arrow, it's floating in front of him. The player gets locked in this animation with an arrow floating a few feet in front of them sometimes. In addition to this, when the player aims to fire, their torso jerks to the side, so it looks like they are aiming somewhere else to the person they are aiming at. The arrow then fires out of the side of the players head at the enemy. :dice:

Speaking of bows, I was replaying Oblivion (yes I know) and got this weird thing where the arrow would draw about halfway, then fly almost perpendicular to me when I fired. So to actually hit anything I had to aim way off from my actual target.

Also I was looking for a screenshot of another glitch for bows in Skyrim and I found this...thing.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Oh man, space station 13 glitches. I swear half of them got fixed and removed and the other half was fixed into permanent features. Most of these involved cooking.
Someone figured out how to move parts his UI to the game world and served deep fried grab icons and pull icon cakes.
Someone used the brand new material system to make their armor incredibly explosive and their jumpsuit incredibly explosion resistant. Then he demolished half the station by repeatedly tweaking his nipples.
The new medicine system allowed me to feed a staff assistant incredible amount of drugs before he hopped into a deep fryer and thus enter a strange state of hibernation. I ate him and then ritually disemboweled myself with a chainsaw in front of a horrified crowd, birthing a perfectly healthy staff assistant.

My favourite however is recursive cooking. You can bake anything into a cake or into a pizza, and you can deep fry everything. Leading into lightly fried fried fried lightly fried Bob Johnson's Left Arm pizza cake pizza cake cake pizza. Ad nauseam. One traitor baked such a fearsome sammich that looking at it made the Byond client crash enabling the cook to leisurely butcher and fry his victims.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Illegal Username posted:

One traitor baked such a fearsome sammich that looking at it made the Byond client crash enabling the cook to leisurely butcher and fry his victims.

There's something very Too Many Cooks-y about this

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Illegal Username posted:

Oh man, space station 13 glitches. I swear half of them got fixed and removed and the other half was fixed into permanent features. Most of these involved cooking.
My favourite however is recursive cooking. You can bake anything into a cake or into a pizza, and you can deep fry everything. Leading into lightly fried fried fried lightly fried Bob Johnson's Left Arm pizza cake pizza cake cake pizza. Ad nauseam. One traitor baked such a fearsome sammich that looking at it made the Byond client crash enabling the cook to leisurely butcher and fry his victims.

One of the best instances of this popped up in the Griefing thread in Games before it went to poo poo (for like the eighth time):

Angry Diplomat posted:

The Crashwich

Another good example is The Crashwich.

Fractal cooking is a time-honoured tradition of SS13 Chefs. You take six food items (almost anything can be deep-fried to turn it into food), make them into a sandwich, use the sandwich to create a sandwich cake (any food can be made into a cake), slice up the cake, use six cake slices to make a sandwich, etc etc etc. This can create unholy monstrosities that lag the poo poo out of everything merely by virtue of existing, sometimes to the point of causing people to crash out as soon as the game tries to display the thing's exponential name. You will note that the Jay Wolff's buttcake I baked there cuts off after a while - its name was so drat big it overflowed the chat buffer. The buttcake is nothing. It and food like it are pitiful hors d'oeuvres compared to THE CRASHWICH.

You see, there's another life-creating mad scientist chemistry recipe in Space Station 13. It's extremely hard to discover and make, but it has the effect of imbuing any object it touches with life. This creates, for instance, a Living Crowbar that floats around and attacks people. At some point a Chef got the brilliant (terrible) idea to combine the living object recipe with fractal cooking.

Enter The Crashwich. Every time this haunted apocalypse of culinary hubris attacked someone, the game reported its name multiple times. When it charged, when it slammed into someone, and every time it hit them, the chat buffer would once again overflow with infinite recursive fractal sandwich. The entire station was brought to its knees by crippling lag, while anyone unfortunate enough to be present for The Crashwich's rampage would immediately crash out and have to reconnect their client, usually to find themselves dead and/or immediately crash out again because The Crashwich was still wreaking havoc.

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

The admins were apparently so impressed that they collectively decided not to ban the responsible party, but instead to deliver a friendly ultimatum: they would not be punished for causing the server to go down in flames, as long as they never created another Crashwich. NEVER AGAIN.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The admins rushed to intervene, but were alarmed to find that The Crashwich was creating so much lag that most admins who looked at it were reliably crashing. Those with good enough connections to brute-force through all the lag were shocked to discover that the sheer latency generated by the demon sandwich was causing their admin commands to get lost somewhere in the coding nightmare that is Byond. The admins were trying to delete The Crashwich and failing. Ultimately, their efforts were in vain, and the server went down completely. The admins fought The Crashwich and The Crashwich won.

I'm now envisioning something like that South Park Warcraft episode.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
My deepest gaming regret is not discovering SS13 until far after its heyday had ended. :smith:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

bucketmouse posted:

My deepest gaming regret is not discovering SS13 until far after its heyday had ended. :smith:

It's ok there's always the remake

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Volt Catfish posted:

It's ok there's always the remake
Ain't none of us going to live long enough to see that.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Space Station 13 sounds like a fun game.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

Space Station 13 sounds like a fun game.

So does Dwarf Fortress.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO

princecoo posted:

So does Dwarf Fortress.

A giant quadruped made of steam is attacking your dwarves, oh no! Fortunately its made of a gas and hitting it with a *stray tigerman cub hair left sock* destroys like 80% of it

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

princecoo posted:

So does Dwarf Fortress.

I've treid to get into DF like half a dozen times and the latest time I tried I spent over an hour selecting equipment and skills for dwarfs only to immediatly upon embarking having a dwarf chop down a tree to have it fall on him kill him seeing that the 2 farmer/ craftdwarfs I took with me went insane punched all my animals to death then each other. Good game 9/10.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
SS13, dwarf fortress, and eve online all have the really unique quality of having enough structure for there to be really fantastic stories built around them and created by said structure while simultaneously not actually being that engaging or interesting to actually play (unless you have the willingness to spend a ton of time dealing with things enough to get those stories going)

Hopefully Clockwork Empires or something in the future like it manages to do the former while avoiding the latter

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I think, for me at least, hearing/reading the stories is so much better than playing SS13 or DF because my mind makes such a vivid picture that frankly, the games themselves are far too simple graphically to convey. Like the stories about the robot butts that kept screaming butts (or was it FART?) over the PA. Or the horrors or The Cluwne. I might be mixing stories.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

flatluigi posted:

SS13, dwarf fortress, and eve online all have the really unique quality of having enough structure for there to be really fantastic stories built around them and created by said structure while simultaneously not actually being that engaging or interesting to actually play (unless you have the willingness to spend a ton of time dealing with things enough to get those stories going)

Hopefully Clockwork Empires or something in the future like it manages to do the former while avoiding the latter

SS13 and DF are also both cases of a game having sufficiently spergy modeling (physical and, in DF's case, behavioral as well) that emergent behavior and unexpected edges happen while being janky enough that this emergent behavior is completely insane on a regular basis.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CzarChasm posted:

I think, for me at least, hearing/reading the stories is so much better than playing SS13 or DF because my mind makes such a vivid picture that frankly, the games themselves are far too simple graphically to convey. Like the stories about the robot butts that kept screaming butts (or was it FART?) over the PA. Or the horrors or The Cluwne. I might be mixing stories.

The Cluwne was part of the butt bot story. They said butt not fart but you have the idea right.

The problem with SS13 and DF is that the stories they generate are fantastic but sometimes you could play them for dozens of hours and see nothing all that interesting happen. In the case of DF the thing that made the stories interesting was the imagination of the person writing them and how the details got filled in. Most of the time not much interesting happens. Other times a farmer punches a gigantic sand monster in half and immediately goes back to planting mushrooms.

Or, you know, an engraver creating a carving of a carving of a square.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

CzarChasm posted:

Apparently the Cluwne story and the buttbot story are one and the same.

e:f;b, butt I have a link!

EDIT: And the graviton-pie-suicide-door story is on that tumblr, too, copied from this very thread! :tinfoil:

Kugyou no Tenshi has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Mar 1, 2015

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Or, you know, an engraver creating a carving of a carving of a square.

Or you get Planepacked. It includes 73 images of itself and is made out of 14 different materials.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Apparently the Cluwne story and the buttbot story are one and the same.

e:f;b, butt I have a link!

EDIT: And the graviton-pie-suicide-door story is on that tumblr, too, copied from this very thread! :tinfoil:

Yup, gotta love Angry Diplomat's writing style.
The audiobook is awesome, too.

Top Quark
Aug 2, 2010

"Going where no man has gone before."
Hi hello I coded item-pies for the goonstation ss13 server. They were the first thing I coded once I got access. I literally wrote it in an hour and haven't touched it since so all the stories about the door-monkey-revolver-suicides are hilarious to me and completely unintended but also good enough to never be "fixed".

The best use for them that I heard besides convoluted mechanics traps were using rigger superflashes in them. To explain, in normal gameplay a flash is simply a camera-flash like item that briefly blinds + stuns a person when used on a person within melee range. A superflash is a hodge-podge of a power-cell and the same flash, resulting in a flash that will set fire to the person it's used on (as well as the normal effects). A RIGGED superflash is made via rigging the power-cell with "plasma" (an explosive magic sci-fi chemical), which makes the superflash explode on use. Usually this is balanced by the fact that the user has to be in melee range and actually holding the drat thing to cause an explosion, harming the user in the process. The thing is, putting it in a pie means you suddenly have ranged contact explosives that no one will ever see coming, an hilariously overpowered and reproducible item for any traitor.

Again, still too funny to ever "fix".

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Testekill posted:

Or you get Planepacked. It includes 73 images of itself and is made out of 14 different materials.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Planepacked

The most surreal thing I ever had happen was when my engravers decided to engrave absolutely nothing except carvings of this one time an elf had its tooth broken by a giant. I looked up the elf in the history and he did literally nothing else important except fighting the giant. Neither of them won; they just bashed on each other a bit and then wandered off apparently but the giant did manage to smash the elf's tooth out of his head.

Fast forward in history until you get to my fort and the entire thing was just covered in engravings dedicated to that one incident. I got kind of sick of it so I decided to decorate with statues instead. The first one? The same goddamned fight. I have no idea why my dwarves were so incredibly fixated on that elf's tooth but there you have it.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The most surreal thing I ever had happen was when my engravers decided to engrave absolutely nothing except carvings of this one time an elf had its tooth broken by a giant. I looked up the elf in the history and he did literally nothing else important except fighting the giant. Neither of them won; they just bashed on each other a bit and then wandered off apparently but the giant did manage to smash the elf's tooth out of his head.

Fast forward in history until you get to my fort and the entire thing was just covered in engravings dedicated to that one incident. I got kind of sick of it so I decided to decorate with statues instead. The first one? The same goddamned fight. I have no idea why my dwarves were so incredibly fixated on that elf's tooth but there you have it.

Dwarf Fortress is the loving best.:allears:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't have pics or vids as I'm phone posting, but I loved the arrow-based item dupe bug from Oblivion.

If memory serves you'd pull back an arrow, pause by going into your inventory drop a random item (and possibly a bunch of arrows at the same time? It's been a while), and unpause.

The result was that your arrow would hit the Random Object You Dropped, and for some :wtc: reason, spawn X amount of that Random Objects equal to the amount of arrows you had.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

MisterBibs posted:

I don't have pics or vids as I'm phone posting, but I loved the arrow-based item dupe bug from Oblivion.

If memory serves you'd pull back an arrow, pause by going into your inventory drop a random item (and possibly a bunch of arrows at the same time? It's been a while), and unpause.

The result was that your arrow would hit the Random Object You Dropped, and for some :wtc: reason, spawn X amount of that Random Objects equal to the amount of arrows you had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn5EUIsP-uI

The chancellor needs his melons.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Haruharuharuko posted:

Dwarf Fortress is the loving best.:allears:

Now that I think about it, and this serves as more of a glitch, one time the merchants showed up with a Large. It wasn't a large anything, just a regular ol' Large. I bought it and built a fancy meeting hall around it. It was a pretty good Large.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Now that I think about it, and this serves as more of a glitch, one time the merchants showed up with a Large. It wasn't a large anything, just a regular ol' Large. I bought it and built a fancy meeting hall around it. It was a pretty good Large.
I think it was a Large <No Gem Type Found>.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure it displayed as a "Large " rather than a "Large". The space is important.

Eggbeater Jesus
Sep 21, 2008

Add a dab of lavender to milk. Leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it.

I love that it looks like it's turned to the lowest graphics settings and the framerate still absolutely shits itself.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

I love that it looks like it's turned to the lowest graphics settings and the framerate still absolutely shits itself.

That's what 15k new physics objects will do I guess. I love how they drop in a continuous stream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fathis Munk posted:

That's what 15k new physics objects will do I guess. I love how they drop in a continuous stream.
Nothing quite as serene as a Watermelonfall.

Anyway, here's a video from MGSV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSnkqk-MeC0

I'm not sure if it really counts as a glitch, since it looks like the designers anticipated something like this happening, but still. I can't stop laughing at it.