Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Mudlark posted:

People at work are having a hard time figuring out some connectivity problems with a project at work. I've basically impressed people with the voodoo of cross-compiling tcpdump to work with our architecture, and so debugging things has fallen on me.

Any suggestions on how I should poke at Linux for info on what's going on down in wlan0 land?
Be less vague about what's happening and we can give suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Truga posted:

I really like what KDE is trying to accomplish, but nearly 10 years ago I went about configuring e17 to my tastes (took almost an hour!) and haven't liked anything else so much since, so I still use that :shrug:

I think I'm old :(

I have noticed that the older I get the less time I am willing to spend on poo poo like customizations. I used to spend hours every few months(after the inevitable reinstall) getting things just right.

Now I have a backup of my settings, and if poo poo doesn't restore right or break in a new version, oh well.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I like gnome shell, and the most customization I do to it is enabling all three window control buttons, weather on the top toolbar, and spotify controls.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Mudlark posted:

Any suggestions on how I should poke at Linux for info on what's going on down in wlan0 land?

First things first: what is the thing known as wlan0?
code:
# ethtool -i wlan0
driver: iwlwifi
version: 3.14.32-i7w
firmware-version: 17.168.5.3 build 42301
bus-info: 0000:0b:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: no
supports-priv-flags: no
That tells me the driver name (iwlwifi in my example), version, and PCI bus ID (0000:0b:00.0). OK, what is that hardware actually?
code:
# lspci -v -s 0000:0b:00.0
0b:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] (rev 34)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 AGN
[...]
Now I know the hardware and driver basic information. But what is it doing?
Old style:
code:
# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"My-Network-Name"  
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:5.32 GHz  Access Point: 18:64:72:5C:63:70   
          Bit Rate=12 Mb/s   Tx-Power=15 dBm   
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=57/70  Signal level=-53 dBm  
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:3  Invalid misc:0   Missed beacon:0
New style:
code:
# iw list
Wiphy phy0
        Band 1:
                Capabilities: 0x1072
                        HT20/HT40
                        Static SM Power Save
                        RX Greenfield
                        RX HT20 SGI
                        RX HT40 SGI
                        No RX STBC
                        Max AMSDU length: 3839 bytes
                        DSSS/CCK HT40
                Maximum RX AMPDU length 65535 bytes (exponent: 0x003)
                Minimum RX AMPDU time spacing: 4 usec (0x05)
                HT TX/RX MCS rate indexes supported: 0-15, 32
                Frequencies:
[... available channels, bit rates, interface modes, lots of stuff...]
Wireless devices have a country code. The APs will broadcast their country code information, and usually the regular wireless client devices will auto-detect it and enable the right channels. The Linux kernel will gather all the country information it receives and restricts all the radio transmitters (Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/other) accordingly.
What country code is currently selected?
code:
# iw reg get
country XX:
               [... list of allowed frequencies/bandwidths and other restrictions..]
Today, you're most likely using WPA encryption, and it requires a "supplicant" process: typically either wpa_supplicant or xsupplicant.
Which one you've got?
code:
# ps -ef |grep [s]upplicant
root      6036     1  0 10:01 ?        00:00:01 /sbin/wpa_supplicant -u -s -O /var/run/wpa_supplicant
So I have wpa_supplicant. What is its status right now?
code:
# wpa_cli status
Selected interface 'wlan0'
bssid=18:64:72:5c:63:70
ssid=My-Network-Name
id=0
mode=station
pairwise_cipher=NONE
group_cipher=NONE
key_mgmt=NONE
wpa_state=COMPLETED
ip_address=11.22.33.44
address=84:3a:4b:34:a6:d8
Configuring wpa_supplicant directly is kind of awkward, so usually laptops/desktops are using NetworkManager.
If you're using it as intended, it is probably controlling all of your network interfaces.
The "nm-tool" command can be used to display a quick overview of NetworkManager status, including a list of all the wireless networks your system has detected at the moment, their channels/frequencies, encryption modes and signal strengths. It will also display your IP address parameters, if you have received any.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Truga posted:

I really like what KDE is trying to accomplish, but nearly 10 years ago I went about configuring e17 to my tastes (took almost an hour!) and haven't liked anything else so much since, so I still use that :shrug:

I think I'm old :(

I've never tried that one. Like KDE, the default theming and screenshots the developer sends out look hideous - like a windows2K era linux desktop. No matter how minimal it is, or what capabilities it has, surely it's possible to apply a little taste at some point to avoid putting people off.

Mudlark
Nov 10, 2009

telcoM posted:

First things first: what is the thing known as wlan0?
[Snip]

Hey, thank you very much, that was very helpful.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
:argh: I cannot for the life of me get a working rdp connection from my Windows 8.1 desktop to my laptop running Mint 17.

The steps I've taken are

code:
sudo apt-get install xrdp
then

code:
sudo apt-get install xfce4
Reboot

code:
hostname -I
to get the ip address of my laptop.

Open mstsc from my desktop and type ip address in. I get the xrdp login window, so I know that xrdp is working and running, but when I type in my login credentials but I always get connection failed on 127.0.0.1:5910

Do I need to portforward on my router when I'm rdp'ing within my own network? I figure I only have to do that when connecting to my ip address from a different network.

Additionally, I know there is a way to configure a sudo password timeout in terminal sessions but is there a similar way to set that timer for non-terminal sudo requests?

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

WastedJoker posted:

:argh: I cannot for the life of me get a working rdp connection from my Windows 8.1 desktop to my laptop running Mint 17.

[...snip...]

I get the xrdp login window, so I know that xrdp is working and running, but when I type in my login credentials but I always get connection failed on 127.0.0.1:5910

Do I need to portforward on my router when I'm rdp'ing within my own network? I figure I only have to do that when connecting to my ip address from a different network.

You're probably missing the fact that xrdp is not quite a stand-alone service, but rather a proxy/protocol converter. It can pass on incoming RDP sessions to another RDP server (acting as a proxy, which might be useful in some virtualized environments) or translate the RDP protocol into VNC protocol. But it cannot support a local session by itself.

In other words, you'll also need a X11 VNC server running on your laptop (apparently in port 5910) before you can connect to it with RDP.

WastedJoker posted:

Additionally, I know there is a way to configure a sudo password timeout in terminal sessions but is there a similar way to set that timer for non-terminal sudo requests?

By default, sudo is configured to handle the authentication timeout in per-terminal basis. Without a terminal, sudo cannot reliably request a password without possibly having it visible on screen: by default, that causes an error message:
code:
sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified
But if you add definitions in your sudoers file that a particular user (or set/group of users) can run certain commands without a password query, then those commands can be run in non-terminal sessions too.

Of course, if your sudo is configured with a "Defaults visiblepw" setting, it allows password prompts in non-terminal sessions too.

Alternatively, a "Defaults !tty_tickets" would switch off the per-terminal timeout handling and track the timeouts in per-user basis. I haven't tested this, but I believe this would include non-terminal sessions too.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Thanks, telcoM, I didn't realise that about xrdp!

I think I'll leave the password stuff as it is though - it was purely out of laziness to avoid typing the password so much when I'm tinkering.

After installing vnc what echo command should I run?

Is it still

code:
echo xfce4-session >~/.xsession
?

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Theoretically if one wanted to have a PC with separate OS installs with each OS residing on it's own individual disk would it be possible to do so simply by installing each OS to their respective disk by unplugging the other disks and then installing to the desired disk and so on and so forth?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Yes, but why would you want to?

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

:science:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

I used to do this partly out of paranoia, partly because I was distrohopping like mad and it was easier to use the one-time boot menu from BIOS to select the disk I wanted to boot than run the risk of bootloader installation going awry.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
So you can be a weirdo that has something like: http://amzn.com/B005NVV2GC ?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

funny way to spell posted:

Theoretically if one wanted to have a PC with separate OS installs with each OS residing on it's own individual disk would it be possible to do so simply by installing each OS to their respective disk by unplugging the other disks and then installing to the desired disk and so on and so forth?

Just update GRUB when you're finished and it should find everything. I've got 3 disks with 3 OS's (though one is about to be wiped and turned into storage) and it was no problem. Remember to install Windows first, if you're using it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Right, but you can have a bunch of OSes co-exist on the same computer or even the same physical disk just fine without needing to manually swap cables around.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

effika posted:

Just update GRUB when you're finished and it should find everything. I've got 3 disks with 3 OS's (though one is about to be wiped and turned into storage) and it was no problem. Remember to install Windows first, if you're using it.

Use efi directly and you don't have to worry about that crap

effika
Jun 19, 2005

evol262 posted:

Use efi directly and you don't have to worry about that crap

As usual evol262 speaks truth. The build I spoke of is too old for efi to be a thing. :corsair:

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

You shouldn't need to unplug anything to accomplish this.

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

WastedJoker posted:

Thanks, telcoM, I didn't realise that about xrdp!

I think I'll leave the password stuff as it is though - it was purely out of laziness to avoid typing the password so much when I'm tinkering.

After installing vnc what echo command should I run?

Is it still

code:
echo xfce4-session >~/.xsession
?

Erm, why do you think you should run any echo command like that?
It looks like the command would force all your future sessions (both local and VNC/RDP) to use XFCE4 desktop environment. Do you want that?
(Disclaimer: I don't have Mint)

And it depends a bit on which VNC server package you installed: a basic VNC server (like tightvncserver or vnc4server) will give you a desktop session that is completely separate from your local one. If you want to access an existing session that was initiated locally, you'll need a VNC server package that will specifically allow that (vino for GNOME; krfb for KDE; and apparently x11vnc is a desktop-agnostic option).

I guess this might be helpful, it looks recent enough for you:
http://twigstechtips.blogspot.fi/2014/08/linux-enable-remote-desktop-support-for.html

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
I'm trying to make my multimedia controls change alsa volume and I've been relatively successful using esekeyd, problem is it only works for a single press but won't work for holding volume buttons and it's a bit irritating, any idea on how to do it? I use a barebones gentoo install with only compiz-fusion as my "desktop" so I can't use those configurations from gnome or kde or something.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I've installed Xubuntu on my HP stream netbook, and whilst the trackpad basically works perfectly, I have one small issue:

When I try to drag by clicking down and moving my finger about, it doesn't seem to want to move, the cursor stays where it is. I suspect it's because the trackpad is one of those big single button sorts, but is there a way to designate a small portion at the bottom of the pad as some sort of dead zone so it just treats it like a button? I imagine this might take some sort of x config editing?

nescience
Jan 24, 2011

h'okay
Is there a bandwidth-efficient RDP For *nix like Microsoft's?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

nescience posted:

Is there a bandwidth-efficient RDP For *nix like Microsoft's?

Remmina should be good, it has various options for quality and bandwidth usage.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

If you know what you're doing, you know which drive is which, and can use lsblk, this is entirely pointless. If you use the auto-install feature on newbie-friendly distros like Ubuntu, this is about the only reason I could see for unplugging drives.

Are you anxious about writing over your distro? If so, this is easily avoidable, just be careful and know which drive is which, upon every reboot (some kernels MIGHT put your drives in a different order)

Or are you worried about messing up your primary boot loader? You can always fix this with grub-install /dev/sdx (x = whatever drive you want the mbr to be on), then remake your config manually or with grub-mkconfig.

The only time I did this drive unplugging was when I installed OpenBSD because the installer is so drat simple (enter, enter, enter, enter) and I was unfamiliar with manually partitioning, but BSDs aren't Linux, so offtopic as gently caress.

Basically if you know your poo poo remotely, don't unplug your drives.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I've got a weird question that is not necessarily Linux but I have a feeling the right people are reading (if indeed there's a good answer at all):

Basically I want some automated notifications on all my android devices without installing any dumb apps, so what I am doing is sending XMPP messages to my own Google account from a dummy/bot account. This works fine and dandy, and as far as I can tell is not violating any TOS, or creating any security problems, etc. The problem is that Google helpfully masks your email with a big_ass_string@public.talk.google.com account. Discovering that big_ass_string is possible, but annoying because it involves a lot of manual operations. It is not something I'd recommend to a non-technical person. Anyway, the actual question is: does anyone know how that big_ass_string is generated, or how to discover it in an automated way? I've been googling but coming up with absolutely nothing.

Edit: this is my discover_gchat_id.py in case anyone is curious wtf I'm talking about
code:
# ------------------------------------------
#                Instructions
# ------------------------------------------
# 0. As of 26 Feb 2015, I recommend installing the xmpppy module located here: 
#    [url]https://github.com/ArchipelProject/xmpppy[/url]
#    It seems to actively maintained and some bugs have been fixed.
# 1. Create a "dummy" or "automation" Gmail account.
# 2. Fill in the user and password variables below with the credentials from step 1.
# 3. Run this script in a terminal and leave it running until step 7 is completed.
# 3A. You will probably get a SASL error (or similar) the first time you try to run this script. If so:
#     Log into your dummy GMail account, and an email should show up letting you "enable less-secure apps"
#     in your preferences. It might take a minute for the change to take effect.
# 4. Log into your "main" Gmail account - NOT the one created in step 1.
# 5. Send a chat to your dummy account.
# 6. Now look in your terminal. This script should have printed out the "masked" address used by GChat.
# 7. Copy the masked address into the blah variable in blah.py
# Note: This process seems to work regardless of if your main Gmail account is signed into the
# "old style chat" or Hangouts.

import xmpp

user = "your_dummy_account@gmail.com"
password = "your_password"
server = ("talk.google.com", 5223)

def message_handler(connect_object, message_node):
    print "Message received from: {}".format(message_node.getFrom())
    connect_object.send(xmpp.Message( message_node.getFrom() ,message, typ="chat"))

jid = xmpp.JID(user)
connection = xmpp.Client(jid.getDomain(), debug=[])
connection.connect(server)
result = connection.auth(jid.getNode(), password)

connection.RegisterHandler("message", message_handler)
connection.sendInitPresence()

while connection.Process(1):
    pass

My Rhythmic Crotch fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 4, 2015

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
My current distro, Crunchbang, which I've really enjoyed and gotten comfortable with, is no longer supported. I and someone else suggested Crunchbang to someone looking for a stable, easy to learn distro. I'm looking for a new distro now and am thinking about switching over the ArchBang and ultimately Arch. Any ArchBang users on here with experience with Crunchbang? If I'm good on using Openbox and don't fiddle too much with the guts of the system should I expect the nightmares that many Arch users talk about when it comes to breaking the system?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Hummer Driving human being posted:

My current distro, Crunchbang, which I've really enjoyed and gotten comfortable with, is no longer supported. I and someone else suggested Crunchbang to someone looking for a stable, easy to learn distro. I'm looking for a new distro now and am thinking about switching over the ArchBang and ultimately Arch. Any ArchBang users on here with experience with Crunchbang? If I'm good on using Openbox and don't fiddle too much with the guts of the system should I expect the nightmares that many Arch users talk about when it comes to breaking the system?

Why not just install Openbox on plain Ubuntu?

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

If you want to learn Arch, you should stop using lovely spin-off distros and just learn to configure things yourself. [/blunt]

Right now I'm posting from Arch, but honestly it's terrible. I use it on my laptop since I don't want to manually compile everything with Gentoo, and I don't like apt or yum, but to be honest your best bet would be to just install debian sid or ubuntu and install OpenBox yourself.

Also, Arch is NOT stable. It's probably the LEAST stable distro I've used, and that includes Gentoo unstable AMD64; the devs have a fire and forget policy and oftentimes that ends up breaking people's systems on a simple system update. Also, ArchBang is HORRIBLE, and entirely eliminates the point of Arch. Due to the nature of Arch Linux, ArchBang sometimes ends up broken many times, and since you have no clue what's made up of your system (a key point of Arch is to build it yourself to make this part less difficult), you have no clue what broke, and are just left with a broken computer with no clue as to how to fix it. They (ArchBang) have their own support channel, but oftentimes it's a vacant ghost town. Forget about posting in the Arch forums (you won't be able to register), and forget about asking for help in the Arch IRC Channel (you'll be told to leave, and if you don't, kicked; see: elitist douchebags)

If you are going for these newbie-friendly distros, the last thing you want is anything built off of ArchLinux. I promise, it might seem like a cool elite internet club, but they're really a bunch of faggots.

You like Openbox + tint2 + slim (deprecated, don't use it!) ? Cool! Install it yourself and configure it yourself on a more mainline distro. pypanel is an alternative to tint2 if you're interested in that sort of thing.

The lesson to be learned here is that small distros that are really just preconfigured setups of a larger distro with no difference aside from that are terrible. I'm not saying this to be a dick, I'm just being really frank with you. If you like the configs from crunchbang, save them and import them over to your new install. Problem solved, and now you have support of an actual distro, not just someone's college project that is being kept alive by paypal donations.

nosl fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 6, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nosl posted:

ends up broken many times, and since you have no clue what's made up of your system (a key point of Arch is to build it yourself to make this part less difficult)

I mostly agree with this advice (just grabbing the configs and putting it on Debian or whatever distro you like), but this particular bit is and always has been the stupidest possible justification for using a system, and it's plainly not true unless you're using something with no package manager or package managers with no dependency handling at all (older incarnations of sourcemage and LFS, Slackware).

Portage and pacman can and do grab an absolute load of unknown poo poo and put it on your system. Less than rpm and deb, maybe, depending on what your USE flags are on Gentoo (maybe more), but still enough to leave you in the dark about what's installed until it breaks because you didn't read the forums or eselect news and some config file you've never heard of needs a new key or needs one removed, but you don't find out until you log out after "emerge -u world" and you can't log in anymore.

Deb and RPM may have more config files that you've never seen, but at least both tend to get QA'd or have bugs filed about whatever breaking, instead of "should have read the news before you updated!" as the response. A news entry or forum post is not a substitute for not breaking systems, either by refusing to upgrade until the user reads it or finding a sane way to handle the upgrade.

Liam Emsa
Aug 21, 2014

Oh, god. I think I'm falling.
How do I make cool-retro-term my default terminal?

Or how about even adding a shortcut to the launcher in Ubuntu 14.04?

Because I can't figure out either :(

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

evol262 posted:

I mostly agree with this advice (just grabbing the configs and putting it on Debian or whatever distro you like), but this particular bit is and always has been the stupidest possible justification for using a system

I completely agree, which is why I think Arch is a poo poo distro best suited to hobbyist use. I'm merely trying to explain the rationale behind Arch, and why it's exactly the opposite of what he wants... it's not like it's MY opinion.. it's the incompetant Arch devs' opinion.

evol262 posted:

Deb and RPM may have more config files that you've never seen, but at least both tend to get QA'd or have bugs filed about whatever breaking, instead of "should have read the news before you updated!" as the response.

Are you referring to Arch or Gentoo? For Arch, I'd say you're right, it's awful and that's what happens, all the time. For Gentoo? I've ran Gentoo ~AMD64 for over 4 years now, on both a server, VPS, desktop, and on-and-off on a laptop (currently running Arch however) and have never ONCE had my system break on an update (emerge -DNtavuq @world), unless you count xorg breaking, to which my response is simply: lol

nosl fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Mar 7, 2015

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Liam Emsa posted:

Because I can't figure out either :(

It should show up in the list of applications for the Terminal in Preferred Applications. Do any of these suggestions work for you? I don't know what stuff you've tried to get it to set.

I have a third suggestion-- go into the keyboard shortcut settings and use one of the random extra keys that might be on your keyboard to launch your preferred terminal. I have the Favorites star set to launch mine; it's handy. (You could also just change the ctrl-alt-t setting.)

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Liam Emsa posted:

Not sure if it's exposed in the settings GUI or one of the "Ubuntu Tweaks" apps, but here's the command:
code:
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec 'cool-retro-term'

Liam Emsa posted:

Make a file like this:
code:
[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Keywords=shell;prompt;command;commandline;
Name=cool-retro-term
Icon=cool-retro-term
Exec=cool-retro-term
Categories=System;TerminalEmulator;
and save it as ~/.local/share/applications/cool-retro-term.desktop.

If you get a ? icon that way, change Icon to gnome-terminal to use the same icon as the default terminal.

System-wide desktop files are stored in /usr/share/applications/ if you want to browse them. You could save it there but I prefer to mess with the user-specific directories.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

nosl posted:

Are you referring to Arch or Gentoo? For Arch, I'd say you're right, it's awful and that's what happens, all the time. For Gentoo? I've ran Gentoo ~AMD64 for over 4 years now, on both a server, VPS, desktop, and on-and-off on a laptop (currently running Arch however) and have never ONCE had my system break on an update (emerge -DNtavuq @world), unless you count xorg breaking, to which my response is simply: lol
The last company I was at ran Gentoo in production. I can't tell you how many times I've seen portage crap out. RUBY_TARGETS was a common problem (an absurd number of circular dependencies if 1.8 and 1.9 are enabled, even though this is supported and using one then updating with the other worked).

Or portage breaking portage on a python update.

Udev updates used to have their own "going from 105 to 106 will break your system unless..." page on the wiki. Probably still does. And udev hasn't been optional for years. Hotplug/coldplug died a long time ago.

God help you if you run hardened.

And this doesn't even include major glibc updates on a rolling release. And going from gcc 3->4, for example. Tools like python-config and gcc-config make this a lot better than it used to be years ago, but if you're using Gentoo for anything serious and you're not running USE=-*, you will eventually have a terrible upgrade of some non-optional component that you never configured, and you'll end up on the tinderbox looking for tarballs of the pieces you need to make it work again.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lol @ using gentoo for anything even remotely resembling production

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
I've got a Realtek RTL8723BE and I'm using kernel 3.19.0-7 (In xubuntu 15.04 beta 1). I'm having some issues with the wifi intermittently stopping working. It seems to stay connected but just stops sending/receiving traffic. I need to disable and re-enable wifi from the network manager to fix it.

dmesg doesn't seem to have anything of note other than it logging my disconnecting and reconnecting, so I'm not 100% on where else to look. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Experto Crede posted:

I've got a Realtek RTL8723BE and I'm using kernel 3.19.0-7 (In xubuntu 15.04 beta 1). I'm having some issues with the wifi intermittently stopping working. It seems to stay connected but just stops sending/receiving traffic. I need to disable and re-enable wifi from the network manager to fix it.

dmesg doesn't seem to have anything of note other than it logging my disconnecting and reconnecting, so I'm not 100% on where else to look. Anyone have any suggestions?

Have a look first if you see something more in /var/log/NetworkManager, that's where nm logs all of its own connection attempts, disconnects and gives you a few more hints where it gets stuck if something goes wrong (for example during initialisation).

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Hollow Talk posted:

Have a look first if you see something more in /var/log/NetworkManager, that's where nm logs all of its own connection attempts, disconnects and gives you a few more hints where it gets stuck if something goes wrong (for example during initialisation).

I don't seem to have a NetworkManager log in /var/log. Does an option need enabling somewhere to get it to log?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Experto Crede posted:

I don't seem to have a NetworkManager log in /var/log. Does an option need enabling somewhere to get it to log?

If that version of Ubuntu uses systemd, you can get the log with "systemctl status NetworkManager -a".

Edit: Actually, the full log for the most recent boot would be:
journalctl --unit NetworkManager.service -b 0

waffle iron fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 7, 2015