Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wait, can you winkey+r?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
hey op have you tried plugging a regular usb keyboard into the thing so u can use the function buttons???

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Nintendo Kid posted:

hey op have you tried plugging a regular usb keyboard into the thing so u can use the function buttons???
I haven't tried that yet I can try that on monday

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

wait, can you winkey+r?

no i cannot

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

SYSV Fanfic posted:

It logs in and auto starts the paint app? You can't even hit the windows key to go back to the win 8 start menu (screen)?

can't you click that "user" thing in the top right

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can't you click that "user" thing in the top right

He said he can't even see the start screen, just the paint app. hosed up if true.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

check out this hilarious thing that happened to me and then help me.

work gave me a surface pro and I never use it because I have an ipad. So anyway I set up a child account on the surface pro so my kid can use the painting app on it. I did something so that it auto logs in as him (child account) and the child account can only open the painting app.

So obviously the problem now is how do I log out of his account and log in as myself. since it's a restricted child account it can't do anything such as task manager or get to the "charms" or hit ctrl+alt+del.

I'm gonna just reinstall from recovery usb if there's no extremely easy way to fix this.
lmao

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

ok so I fixed it by plugging in an external keybaord and mashing the winkey a bunch of times until it worked. Apparently to exit out of "child app assist mode" or whatever it's called, you need to hit winkey 5 times rapidly. However the built in winkey on surface doesn't count. must be an external usb winkey.

:winkey: :winky:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wasn't there a winky emoticon

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

:wink:

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

:forkbomb:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
what does it mean, when you go to the lepers colony but there is no link to te post that teh person was probated for

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

bobbilljim posted:

what does it mean, when you go to the lepers colony but there is no link to te post that teh person was probated for

when a thread is gassed, the op is probated for 10 minutes iirc, was it that?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it means radium lives forever

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobbilljim posted:

they could have been probated in a thread that is no longer on the forums

i think admins may also be able to give out threadless probations

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i've got a macbook pro. it's a few years old, and the screen has gotten looser -- it won't stay in position unless i push it back farther than i want. is there a way to tighten that up?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
a... screwdriver?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

prefect posted:

i've got a macbook pro. it's a few years old, and the screen has gotten looser -- it won't stay in position unless i push it back farther than i want. is there a way to tighten that up?

You are going to need some special tools because its apple. I can tell you that much. After that tighten some screws and if that doesn't work, replace the hinges with genuine Apple™ hinges.

ifixit is great for stuff like this btw.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

special tools lol, most apple poo poo is just torx screws

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SYSV Fanfic posted:

You are going to need some special tools because its apple. I can tell you that much. After that tighten some screws and if that doesn't work, replace the hinges with genuine Apple™ hinges.

ifixit is great for stuff like this btw.

i remember ads in the back of computer magazines for special apple tools people would sell you. i knew this would be coming

time to injure myself :confuoot:

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

get it to do kegels, should tighten it up, op

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dolomite posted:

get it to do kegels, should tighten it up, op

as i was writing the stuff about its getting loose and tightening it up, i had a similar thought and kinda grossed myself out

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Forums Terrorist posted:

Ur right. I'm wrong. Pls feel free 2 gloat.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

lol that apple doesn't use custom apple-logo screws

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

prefect posted:

as i was writing the stuff about its getting loose and tightening it up, i had a similar thought and kinda grossed myself out

i have no shame, also no sense of humor

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
ccleaner has a neat new feature that finds duplicate files for you.

in other news amd driver installers literally poo poo temp files all over your hard dsrives on every install, poo poo was like 1.79gb :psyduck:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Panty Saluter posted:

in other news amd driver installers literally poo poo
wow no way

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i had no problems with the drivers themselves, but the sloppyu rear end install is p shameful

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
like at least just put them in the TEMP folder, not just root

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
My computer is slow, what should I do? maybe it has a virus, idk

Sometimes, like once per session, when I open new tabs in firefox the whole computer, except the mouse pointer, freezes for 10-15 seconds and then all the things that i tried to do during the freeze come through at once. Should I buy a new computer or use chome or what

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

install gentoo

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

spankmeister posted:

install gentoo

nice try fucker but you wont get me so easily

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Syncopated posted:

Sometimes, like once per session, when I open new tabs in firefox the whole computer, except the mouse pointer, freezes for 10-15 seconds and then all the things that i tried to do during the freeze come through at once. Should I buy a new computer or use chome or what

time to check your hardware for failure - could be bad RAM or bad hard drive. also dont firefox

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

Forums Terrorist posted:

they like these for batteries

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

prefect posted:

they could have been probated in a thread that is no longer on the forums

i think admins may also be able to give out threadless probations

pagancows last 6hour for reference

usually when the thread is no longer on the forums you get a dead link :S

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Syncopated posted:

have u used performance monitor?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

Syncopated posted:

start in safe mode, check what poo poo starts when your pc starts, wtach ur cpu usage and disk usage etc when teh hangs happen

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Have you looked at the windows event log yet? There might be something actually important in there somewhere.

My first suggestion: If it picks up exactly where it left off check your cpu temperatures. The cpu could be throttling down to nothing and then speeding back up when it cools off or some poo poo. Dunno.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I realt need to pis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking around the car for things to piss into