Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Here here. This really isn't a loving movie for everyone's enjoyment and despite how some of us are grieving we really aren't owed any pageantry by anyone. I just hope everyone is holding well enough. I'm honestly pretty torn up by this.

I've been thinking about this, and especially thinking about it in relation to the recent passing of Robin Williams; another actor who I think we all agree reached iconic status, played an iconic character on television and created an iconic persona that came through so strong that "Robin Williams movie" is practically a mini-genre.

But the thing is, you know, Robin Williams was not a happy man. He had serious substance abuse problems, and it never seemed like he had a happy home life, or was a happy person deep down. There was always a strong current of melancholy.

But Leonard Nimoy, not to be too cliche, did in fact live a long and prosperous life, as per his catchphrase. He was a man who explored multiple disciplines and often excelled at them, he had a large and loving family, what seemed by all accounts a rich spiritual life. He sincerely seemed to do his own thing, and always had a certain hipness about him that was all his own. Nimoy died surrounded by friends and family, no doubt, and after a long and good life.

To make a contrast, Robin Williams hanged himself with his own belt alone in a room. :( I don't want to go off topic here, I just want to make the point that as sad as this is, it's more bittersweet than downright awful. I surprisingly don't feel too horrible about it, mostly because of what I was talking about - that Nimoy had a great life and contributed wonderful things and was by all accounts a genuinely friendly, happy, generous man who died naturally after a long life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah. Williams' death upset me because of how much pain it revealed was behind the masks we wear. Nimoy's death upsets me because it's... well.. it's like when you watch a TV series and you don't want it to end but it has to end-- you know the end is near and you know there's nothing you can really do to extend the show, but you enjoyed it so much you still couldn't help but wish it would never end.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ok I've been fairly solid up until this point but this is what finally broke me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj8g4TnWLVw

I don't know why I even give a poo poo sometimes, but holy gently caress I do.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
The compilations and watching old Trek is cool and all, but for me what has really made me sad is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QxprD3Ii2M

It's because I know Spock, I know Spock so well and Leonard's portrayal of that character. But in that interview, only a couple of years ago.. Leonard is not Spock and he is a very sick old man. He voice quavers, he talks too fast sometimes.. he's old and a shell of what he was. This is what age does to all of us.

To see someone as kickass as Leonard like this is really what makes me feel like poo poo.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tony Montana posted:

It's because I know Spock, I know Spock so well and Leonard's portrayal of that character. But in that interview, only a couple of years ago.. Leonard is not Spock and he is a very sick old man. He voice quavers, he talks too fast sometimes.. he's old and a shell of what he was. This is what age does to all of us.

To see someone as kickass as Leonard like this is really what makes me feel like poo poo.

It's like watching Mark Lenard's portrayal of the aging Sarek on TNG.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tony Montana posted:

Man I dunno what you just watched, but that clip was Leonard being the man. He was sparkly, he was sharp... he was remembering names, dates, hell, dialogue from decades ago. If he was talking fast at times it was because he was conversing informally, not reading lines. I sure hope I'm that much in charge of my faculties when I'm that age.

I sure don't remember Shatner's STII eulogy being anything like his impression of it though. :v: Almost the direct opposite, in fact—he barely moved his lips saying "....human". Because he was barely holding it in.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Confession: I have never seen a ST movie outside of First Contact and the reboots. So I'm going to immediately fix this and watch Wrath of Khan followed by The Search for Spock.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

e; ^^^ You're in for a treat man, WoK is a classic for a reason.

Data Graham posted:

Man I dunno what you just watched, but that clip was Leonard being the man. He was sparkly, he was sharp... he was remembering names, dates, hell, dialogue from decades ago. If he was talking fast at times it was because he was conversing informally, not reading lines. I sure hope I'm that much in charge of my faculties when I'm that age.

I sure don't remember Shatner's STII eulogy being anything like his impression of it though. :v: Almost the direct opposite, in fact—he barely moved his lips saying "....human". Because he was barely holding it in.

Yeah, the man was assailed by age, but it's clear he's still in full control of his mental faculties. Some small mercies, at least, because he doesn't seem to have lost that even towards the end :unsmith:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Chicken Doodle posted:

Confession: I have never seen a ST movie outside of First Contact and the reboots. So I'm going to immediately fix this and watch Wrath of Khan followed by The Search for Spock.

Then watch The Voyage Home, It's a nice bit of light hearted fun after two rather dark movies.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Chicken Doodle posted:

Enjoy!

Here are some anecdotes from AintItCool. Excerpt:

quote:

I do want to leave off sharing an anecdote that I'm not sure even Mr. Nimoy was aware of. I was told a story once about the early days of the Star Trek reboot. Before they solidified the script Abrams and team knew that they needed a bridge from the last series to this one. They toyed with Spock, they toyed with Kirk and they even toyed with both together.

Remember for a long time Nimoy wanted to seperate himself from the character, so they decided they'd approach them both and see who showed interest and make their decision on which way to go from there. They went to Shatner first and told him the story and how they were thinking about doing it. His reaction was that he'd come back, but only if it was Kirk without Spock.

Then they went to Nimoy, told him the story and how Spock would fit in if he agreed. He loved it and said he would do it. He only had one question: "Do you think you could find a place in it for my friend Bill?"

You've seen the movie, so you know how that turned out.

I know it sounds like I'm holding Nimoy up by making GBS threads on Bill Shatner. That is not my intention at all. I'm sure he had his reasons for thinking of it as a solo Kirk adventure. This story cuts to the core of just how decent and selfless Nimoy was and that sentiment is one I've heard echoed time and again from those that knew him, worked with him and loved him. He was one of the genuinely good people on this earth and that came through in every role he ever played and frame of film he ever directed.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Chicken Doodle posted:

You might want to watch the Original Series episodes "Space Seed" first as that is Khan's first appearance which Wrath of Khan is a continuation of.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here
Which one of you did this?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

tastychicken posted:

Which one of you did this?

It's nice to take a pause from Spock grief to remember that all the first officers are wonderful people except Chakotay, and I think that's probably because he was a Captain first so he shouldn't even count.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sanguinia posted:

It's nice to take a pause from Spock grief to remember that all the first officers are wonderful people except Chakotay, and I think that's probably because he was a Captain first so he shouldn't even count.

Janeway's original first officer was Tuvok, so it still counts.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

KurdtLives posted:

You might want to watch the Original Series episodes "Space Seed" first as that is Khan's first appearance which Wrath of Khan is a continuation of.
Good segue!

:siren::siren::siren:THE MONTH OF BEARD HAS BEGUN!!:siren::siren::siren:

We've made it through the Bij, and now it's time to watch the best episodes!

This week it's The Original Series and The Animated Series!

The Original Series
First Place: Balance of Terror

Second Place (tied): The Devil in the Dark

Second Place (tied): Space Seed

Second Place (tied): City on the Edge of Forever

The Animated Series
First Place (tied): The Practical Joker

First Place (tied): Yesteryear

Next week: The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine!

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

KurdtLives posted:

Actually I found that it was perfectly fine in set-up. Didn't need to watch that first, it introduced the character very well. I noticed all the books, including Moby Dick!

That said HOLY poo poo WoK IS AMAZING. I haven't watch TOS either, but drat it I adore Bones in this. I adore Karl Urban's interpretation as well but goddamn now I know how much JJ's movies ripped off the previous ones I don't think I can watch them again.

SfS next. :neckbeard:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I loves me some bizarro Brandon Bird artwork:

http://www.topatoco.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TO&Product_Code=BIRD-PIZZABORG&Category_Code=BIRD

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I figure I should start posting here, since over the past 6 months or so I've binged through all of DS9, about half of Voyager, and I've already seen most of TOS and TNG as a kid.

I still refuse to believe the original cast are all hovering around 80 these days. Trek is such a part of our cultural consciousness, they don't seem like they should age like they do.

Shatner doesn't look it, though. He still looks like he could hammer punch my rear end into the next quadrant.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

thexerox123 posted:

:siren::siren::siren:THE MONTH OF BEARD HAS BEGUN!!:siren::siren::siren:

It warms my cold-blooded Vulcan nature that Month of Bij/Beard is still ongoing, I have to say. It was asked forever ago, but #RikersBeard (on irc.synirc.net) is very much <u>a thing</u> if people want to communicate ideas on important issues in a more instantaneous fashion, like combadges, instead of spread out over hundreds of pages, like a lovely Voyager script.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Low Desert Punk posted:

I still refuse to believe the original cast are all hovering around 80 these days. Trek is such a part of our cultural consciousness, they don't seem like they should age like they do.

To their credit, they've aged gracefully. None of them have gone too young either. It's really weird but I feel like Babylon 5 has lost more actors in 20 some-odd years than TOS has in 50.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Chicken Doodle posted:

Actually I found that it was perfectly fine in set-up. Didn't need to watch that first, it introduced the character very well. I noticed all the books, including Moby Dick!

That said HOLY poo poo WoK IS AMAZING. I haven't watch TOS either, but drat it I adore Bones in this. I adore Karl Urban's interpretation as well but goddamn now I know how much JJ's movies ripped off the previous ones I don't think I can watch them again.

Wrath of Khan is front-runner in the competition for single best thing in all of Star Trek, so I don't know if it's the fairest measuring stick to judge Abrahms movies by. I also think that Into Darkness' reputation as being a ripoff of Khan is absurd, Nemesis and First Contact and several episodes are MUCH more ripoffs of WoK than ID. Darkness just happens to have one scene that is basically line-for-line a replication (which was intended to be incredibly obvious so I don't think it even counts, a ripoff has to be trying to get away with it) so every other little thing that's even close to similar gets conflated with that. If Kirk had just died inside the inner engine instead of crawling back out to talk to Spock I don't think anyone else would have noticed the things it supposedly "stole," other than the characters of Khan and Carol, which is like saying the first one stole the character of Spock from TAS's Yesteryear.

Anyway, I hope you love SfS, I think it's pretty underrated. It should have been like an hour longer though, it's rushed climax is a pretty criminal disservice to all that happens.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Delsaber posted:

To their credit, they've aged gracefully. None of them have gone too young either. It's really weird but I feel like Babylon 5 has lost more actors in 20 some-odd years than TOS has in 50.
I recall this being valorized somehow as B5 having recruited actors Who Had Problems, as opposed to the Star Trek folks who I guess were in better shape.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I'm a couple days late. It's early Sunday morning by my time at this point, I was working the last couple days when the news hit. That big long post earlier pretty much said what I thought should be said, but I wanted to put my personal thoughts out there, even if nobody really reads it.

When I was real little, TNG was in its 3rd or 4th season. I remember sitting down in front of the TV with my family and watching the intro credits roll, and that to me was Star Trek. It wasn't til I was in maybe 1st grade or so til I discovered the VHS tapes at my local public library of the Original Series. I even dressed up as Scotty for a book report on James Doohan's life, which is where I read about Doohan losing his right middle finger in the second World War. I watched drat near all of those tapes, though I had my favorites. Eventually, at a family friends' house, I found the TOS movies, and that opened another door for me.

My oldest brother had a large collection of Star Trek books, most of which were 'expanded universe' novels, but one book he had was called 'I am Spock.' It was about Nimoy's life, and it came after another book he wrote called 'I am Not Spock,' where he was trying to distance himself from the character. I haven't ever had the opportunity to read that one, but I got the impression that he regretted penning it. 'I am Spock' was fascinating to me. I read it more than a few times. There were all sorts of anecdotes about life before Trek, the time between the series and the movies, details about the show and the movies, and the things that he brought from his own life to the character, and the things that the character brought to him. He stole the Vulcan salute from Hebrew tradition. He eschewed Roddenberry's attempt to capitalize on the IDIC philosophy when Roddenberry wanted to sell the necklaces that were seen on the show. Perhaps most telling of all, the Vulcan neck pinch was Nimoy's idea. In an early script, Spock was supposed to shoot an intruder from behind, and Nimoy took umbrage at such an idea. He spoke with some superior, and the neck pinch was born.

I recognize that Leonard Nimoy was much more than the character of Spock. And yet, having read that book, I believe that Spock truly lived inside Nimoy's mind. Mr. Nimoy was one of those rare individuals who genuinely touched a great many people who look towards the future with hope. I don't know. I'm losing my focus here. I never knew him, and yet I miss him. And the other titans who have left us.

Here's to ya, lads.

edit: I cried an hour ago watching the end of Wrath of Khan, like I'm sure so many others did.

Admiral Bosch fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 1, 2015

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

My parents are die hard Trekkies and I grew up on TOS and the movies. When I was little I got to meet George Takei and that was super exciting to me. Some reporters tailed my family into the parking lot afterwards because they wanted to know how a little kid in the 90s knew who Sulu was. :unsmith:

TNG and DS9 are my favorite Treks today but TOS will always be special to me.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mister Adequate posted:

Yeah, the man was assailed by age, but it's clear he's still in full control of his mental faculties. Some small mercies, at least, because he doesn't seem to have lost that even towards the end :unsmith:

I work with a lot of the old and confused and Nimoy was on the better end of what can happen to one's mind when the end is near by a wide margin-- he knew who he was, where he was, and what he was doing even if he was far removed from his prime, and was still able to create cogent and thoughtful pieces of writing and verbage up until the very end.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Chicken Doodle posted:

You should absolutely watch The Voyage Home too. It's a goofier, campier take on Star Trek, but it's the perfect light-hearted aperitif to the darkness of TWoK and SfS.

II-III-IV are the quintessential Trek for me. Even though I grew up with TNG, and think DS9 is the best series, those three movies more perfectly encompass Trek than perhaps anything else.

Admiral Bosch posted:

I recognize that Leonard Nimoy was much more than the character of Spock. And yet, having read that book, I believe that Spock truly lived inside Nimoy's mind.
There's a great interview with Nimoy where he discusses how, many years after the fact, he's internalised Spock as almost the voice of his conscience. Leonard Nimoy was so much more than just Spock, but in the end Spock was very much a part of him.

Pasco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 1, 2015

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pasco posted:

There's a great interview with Nimoy where he discusses how, many years after the fact, he's internalised Spock as almost the voice of his conscience. Leonard Nimoy was so much more than just Spock, but in the end Spock was very much a part of him.

Just like Bruce Wayne and Batman!

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
If any of you haven't read "I'm Not Spock" and "I am Spock" I highly recommend both. It's been more than a decade since I read the first, but I re-read "I am Spock" a bit more recently and Nimoy explains a lot of how Spock effected his life. He does it in a light hearted way where he sort of talks to himself, like Spock is this voice in his head.

Speaking of books I just finished reading the last book on my to-read list and needed something to read next. I've had a copy of "A Tale of Two Cities" sitting on my desk at work for 5 years and figured now's a good a time to read it as any.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I picked up I Am Spock at a thrift store a few months ago. It's now been bumped to the top of my reading queue.

Sad Rhino
Aug 23, 2014
Does anyone know what Avery Brooks is up to? (By which I mean, what's the story?) I was looking at IMDB and was surprised to see he has done nothing substantial since DS9.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

As far as the whole "Shatner should show up", here's what David Gerrold posted on Facebook,

David Gerrold posted:

Worth repeating:
From Paul Camuso:
I'm usually not one to comment but I will. For those that do not know me, I work with Bill Shatner on a weekly if not daily basis. Bill is feeling horrible that he is not able to attend Leonard's funeral tomorrow. I spoke with Bill this morning on the phone - did anyone else? I would bet they did not. Bill is honoring a pledge he made to a charity to appear tonight, they sold tickets based on the fact Bill was going to be there. This is their big fundraising event of the year where they bring in the bulk of their money to do good to the community they serve. To abandon them with less than 24 hours notice would be unthinkable. It would put the charity in a very bad position. There were no flights back so he's stuck. He is not happy about the situation but he is a professional who keeps his promise to a charity. David, I thank you for speaking out. I'm absolutely going to share your message with Bill, next week. Pax.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sad Rhino posted:

Does anyone know what Avery Brooks is up to? (By which I mean, what's the story?) I was looking at IMDB and was surprised to see he has done nothing substantial since DS9.

Did he go back to teaching theatre? I think he's a tenured professor, isn't he?

Tikifire
Jun 22, 2006

Would you like to touch my monkey?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did he go back to teaching theatre? I think he's a tenured professor, isn't he?

I know he was doing some live theater in Baltimore a couple of years back.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Regarding Shatner that makes sense but I feel so bad for a charity having to depend on him for money.

I'd like to think we've advanced as a society

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought Avery Brooks was a dangerously insane jazz pianist that you couldn't look at in the eyes

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.

mllaneza posted:

As far as the whole "Shatner should show up", here's what David Gerrold posted on Facebook,

That's just a cover story

quote:

An arrest warrant has been issued for Star Trek actor William Shatner, who is reported to have stolen the space shuttle Enterprise.
It is believed that Shatner carried out the audacious theft with a group of friends after claiming they just wanted to ‘look the old bird over’ before she was broken up.
NASA are reported to be incredulous about the crime, as the Enterprise was retired from service in 2012.

A spokesperson said, “We just don’t understand how they got her going. She’s a relic on a one-way trip to the scrap heap.”
“Quite simply, the engines cannae take it.”

“The only way they could get that old tub going again would be to steal parts from a nuclear vessel, and who has the ability to do that?”

Shatner and his crew – reported to comprise Nichelle Nichols, George Takei and Walter Koenig – are understood to believe that Leonard Nimoy will have been reborn on a new, Edenic alien world as suggested in a 1984 documentary.

When asked their course, shortly before passing out of radio range, Shatner is reported to have replied “Second star on the left, and straight on ’til morning.”
http://newsthump.com/2015/02/28/william-shatner-steals-space-shuttle-to-search-for-reborn-leonard-nimoy/

Crashbee fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 1, 2015

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Love this.

My initial reaction to him not going to the funeral was thinking he was just making excuses like he does very often but I can see how (even besides the charity event) it would be hard for him to go for a variety of reasons. Emotions, let me tell you, they're not very logical are they?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Sash! posted:

I thought Avery Brooks was a dangerously insane jazz pianist that you couldn't look at in the eyes

That's just his hobby.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apple Jax posted:

Speaking of books I just finished reading the last book on my to-read list and needed something to read next. I've had a copy of "A Tale of Two Cities" sitting on my desk at work for 5 years and figured now's a good a time to read it as any.

Once you're done with that, read Beowulf which is Harry Kim's favourite book. I recommend the Seamus Heaney translation.

Edit: I forgot about this.

Harry Kim as Beowulf. Just gently caress off.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Vagabundo posted:

I recommend the Seamus Heaney translation.

Sometimes I wonder if there's not some better translation waiting to be done, but it will never be finished because everyone just reads the Heaney translation.

• Locked thread