Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, it only works for games with high replay value, or when they lock off the story etc. after a certain point like Wasteland 2 (though even that wasn't great).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Jesto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 14, 2017

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Jesto posted:

Hey, a new update. :unsmith:

It's coming out.

Maybe.

Someday. :smith:

Only two house upgrades? I assume a kitchen and a second floor. I figured there would be at least three, a bigger base house, basement and second story. But maybe basement and second floor are combined into one.

I've been watching his progress for a long time and I'm glad that he's limiting the scope of what he is doing. It makes goals achievable and a timeline for release possible. If you get mired in making everything perfect you'll never get anything done. I want to play this, but I want it to be a finished product. Though what I also very much want is for modders to dig their claws into this and start making things that one person alone could never achieve.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

More house upgrades seems like the perfect thing for post-release updates.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Machai posted:

More house upgrades seems like the perfect thing for post-release updates.

If there's one thing I want in this game, it's the most bare bones but technically playable experience. :jerkbag:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It doesn't need to mimic everything from Harvest moon, especially useless stuff like "your house that you go into for ten seconds is bigger!!!"

Screen real estate etc, house looks good. Good house.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Met posted:

If there's one thing I want in this game, it's the most bare bones but technically playable experience. :jerkbag:

quote:

...112 unique wallpapers, 40 floor styles, and about 150 pieces of furniture.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't see the problem. Getting tired of half-assed-at-release games because they pushed it out for impatient schmucks.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I'm glad the guy's taking his time about it, I'll wait as long as he wants... Assuming it actually comes out of course.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Jesto posted:

It's happening. :woop:

At an unknowable date in the future. :geno:

Is that an unattended toddler crawling around I see in picture 2? :raise: Someone call CPS.

Holy poo poo this year?!?! I'm extremely excited! Only 11 1/2 more months to go possibly

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I like that he's addressing one of the only real problems I had with the original HM. Were once you got married your wife changed sprite to a generic woman with pallette swapped hair who sometimes gave you fish or something but that was really it.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Jesto posted:

95%, huh?

With that many fish I imagine you could just spend the game ignoring the farm and mines and just make a living fishing, and having seen the fishing system it would probably be great.

Yeah this game really looks like it's going to be a sandbox where you can just do what you want and get by... But I want to do all the things, all of them.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Has CA mentioned anything about distribution yet? I'm assuming since the game is being published by Chucklefuck it's going to be on Steam at least.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Does anyone know if there will be dairy functionality, or other second-stage processing? Not just selling milk but turning milk into butter and cheese; not just selling sheared wool but spinning wool into yarn; etc.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Catts posted:

Has CA mentioned anything about distribution yet? I'm assuming since the game is being published by Chucklefuck it's going to be on Steam at least.

IIRC Stardew Valley was already on Greenlight when it got picked up by Chucklefish and this was just after Steam implemented the rule where once you're on Greenlight you HAVE to get through via Greenlight.

Worry not, though. I just double checked and, yes, Stardew Valley has been greenlit already. So Steam release is a guarantee.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Gonna pre-order so fast

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

mcvey posted:

Gonna pre-order so fast

to play with me right

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Jesto posted:

:( It looks like randomly generated mines are gone in favor of pre-built mines? Or there's just some things that are less randomly generated? I'm not sure.

As someone who was interested in the game 90% for the mines and combat, I'm not sure if less random generation is good or bad. It would certainly remove some replayability if all the floors were static.

The good news is static mines will allow for better looking floors, if the screenshot is anything to go by.

Procedural generation will add much more repeatability but it isn't looking like the game will be short on content. I wouldn't be too worried at this point. It's also the sort of thing that could be revisited in a later patch with extra levels for those that want to delve deeper

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I like Procedural Generation in some games, but in others it gets really old after a point. It's like seeing the exact same lego blocks arranged differently time and time again. Sometimes structured content is the way to go.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
From the sound of it it doesn't seem like the mines themselves are no longer randomly generated, just some of their contents.

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

quote:

Finishing the mines. I’ve shifted some things away from being randomly-generated, instead designing them by hand.
Yeah, this sounds like only some of it will be static, not all of the mines. Which I think is fine, myself.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
A mini-update appears!

Dev update #27

------------------------------

Just checking in to let you know I’m still here! Nothing new to report, I’m just systematically going through everything and making sure it’s release-ready.

I don’t have a lot to share this time, but here’s something… new dialogue boxes:

“Better get out there and do some treasure hunting, huh?

I know fiddling with the dialogue boxes might not seem necessary… but the old boxes were truly messed up, and despite lots of tweaking they continued to give me problems. I decided that a complete redo would save me time. While redoing them I went ahead and made them look a little snazzier with the wood panel and name scroll.

I’m going to get back to work… thanks for reading!

------------------------------

Sounds like everything's going pretty well. Or at least I hope.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 07:50 on May 18, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cool, I was just looking for the update the other day.

Still going.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Releasing half-tested games is what gets us an unfriendly UI and other weird issues with Harvest Moon games. I'm cool with the polishing.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Met posted:

Releasing half-tested games is what gets us an unfriendly UI and other weird issues with Harvest Moon games. I'm cool with the polishing.

On the other hand, Harvest Moon also has fairly minimalist text boxes. These look unnecessarily large to accommodate/match the font. I'm no stranger to extremely custom typefaces so I can't criticize too much, but I do hope they'll have a "simple" option, too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
That font is terrible.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

That font is terrible.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I think it looks ok, but it's position in the text box could use some tweaking, it's very close to the top and left sides.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Personally I don't like the serif font, it makes it difficult to read in my opinion. Other than that I'm glad to see an update :)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
The font probably looks better in it's actual standard resolution, not a cropped, zoomed in image.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

quote:

BAD FONT

At least it's not comic sans! :suicide:

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

LordAdakos posted:

Sadly it's not comic sans!

Would fit nicely with the game's theme I think.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can probably mod the font, jeez

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It's just a name, she's probably alright...

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
wanna marry that Evil-lyn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind