Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
As much as I love my Frieza dude I feel like I probably hosed up by going Strike. Super Vegeta Ki builds just seem objectively better in every way :smith:

Also getting Strike supers and ults is a pain in the rear end. I do 90 percent of my work with Meteor Crash and basic attacks and have since forever.

Edit: The sword moves are Human/Saiyan only? God drat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

New Leaf posted:

loving poo poo.. The sword moves are Human/Saiyan only. So long, sword-wielding Frieza dude. :(

Wait there are race gated moves?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Testekill posted:

One more dragonball until I can make my first wish. What should I use it on?

Use it to unlock Super Saiyan 4 Gogeta and 100x Big Bang Kamehameha everyone's face off

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

cams posted:

Sorry guys, I just got Super Vegeta on my first SSJ Vegeta spawn.

It was my 7th time doing the mission to get him to spawn but still feels good. Now to redo it again because I didn't Z-Rank it :V

First time Super Vegeta bro. :hf: vv You too.
But I cant for the life of me get my 7th dragonball to drop, so I guess it's sorta balanced out.

Ougher fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 1, 2015

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I hardly believe it, but I just got Super Vegeta on my first goddamn try.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I really, really wish that, if you weren't a sayian, the tail wouldn't come with the armor. Sayian armor looks so good, but it looks odd being a namekian with a tail.

Also, I haven't been able to get into the game for a while: it's stuck on the connecting to server screen. Anyone else have that problem?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Jsor posted:

Is master training story or level gated or something? My bar for Vegeta says Max, but he doesn't have any quests for me. I'm up through Cell.

No it's just very slow to budge. Go into a mission and spam their super along side 2 copies of them. I had Krilling max himself out doing that.

By the way how do you consistently spawn the dragon ball dropper on mission 2?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
So do you double up on Videl or Gohan?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Started a new ranged-based Majin with a dumb Mr. Freeze gimmick and large stomach. I love that you get to keep everything from your first guy. See new custom Goku below with the real heroes of the game:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

As much as I love my Frieza dude I feel like I probably hosed up by going Strike. Super Vegeta Ki builds just seem objectively better in every way :smith:

Also getting Strike supers and ults is a pain in the rear end. I do 90 percent of my work with Meteor Crash and basic attacks and have since forever.

Edit: The sword moves are Human/Saiyan only? God drat it.

You naturally have good ki damage. I love to juggle people with light light hard chain ended with death beam ad infinium.

Death beam owns guys.

Also, my frieza looks like a kamen rider.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Squallege posted:

So do you double up on Videl or Gohan?
They both count, I think, so either or. Or one of each if you feel like it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I think I'm going to just push myself to rush through the story so I can make more characters already. Because I have so many amazing ideas but I don't wanna re-roll my dude over and over.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

The more I play the more I think specializing in strike supers is objectively inferior to ki supers. The only real advantage I see in strikes over ki is that there are some neat utility options in strike, like the stamina stealing one, the guard break one, and... That is all that comes to mind.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah but strike supers are cool

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Can someone give me tips on setting up ki supers? I really want my fat qt buu to do more goku blasts but I miss 90% of the time and have been relying on regular combos and strike supers.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I was legit caught off guard hearing sword moves were human/saiyan only, any others that are race gated? That seems really weird considering learning everyone's poo poo is so awesome.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

cams posted:

The more I play the more I think specializing in strike supers is objectively inferior to ki supers. The only real advantage I see in strikes over ki is that there are some neat utility options in strike, like the stamina stealing one, the guard break one, and... That is all that comes to mind.

There's no need to specialize in either though? I do both and it seems to both confuse and destroy everyone i have fought online. They're all like "Whew, i finally got away from his combos. time to*Weekend to the face* HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!"

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Okay a few hours into this game and I'm still really confused. How exactly do Masters work? I had Piccolo as my first one, the switched to Krillin and he gave me Distructo Disc really quickly after Piccolo wouldn't give me any moves besides that (admittedly useful) Evil wave thing. What determines "leveling up" your Master?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I was legit caught off guard hearing sword moves were human/saiyan only, any others that are race gated? That seems really weird considering learning everyone's poo poo is so awesome.

Candy Beam is Majin only

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a guide to all the secret things in the PQs?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Mans posted:

is there a guide to all the secret things in the PQs?

Here's the one that's stickied over at GameFAQs.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/805627-dragon-ball-xenoverse/71297069

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Okay a few hours into this game and I'm still really confused. How exactly do Masters work? I had Piccolo as my first one, the switched to Krillin and he gave me Distructo Disc really quickly after Piccolo wouldn't give me any moves besides that (admittedly useful) Evil wave thing. What determines "leveling up" your Master?
someone posted like a page ago

using this in parallel quests, using their moves

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
If anyone is on the Dragon Ball hunt- try the mission "Return of the Ginyu Force". A Time Patroller spawns at the other end of the Capsule Corp yard from where you start. You can see them from the spot the mission starts you at. If you don't see them, just Retry until you do. Kill them and look for Key Items. Good luck. Just got my first 7 and I'm trying to figure out what I want.. I don't really gently caress with the other characters except to put them as helpers, but there's no other way to unlock these GT clowns..

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Wait there are race gated moves?

Humans can't go Super Saiyan either. ;) But yeah, I've got several. I have Buu-only Candy Beam, too.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Super Vegeta first try, sorry to anyone who has to grind that quest. Although I guess that means me since I still only A ranked it.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Nasgate posted:

There's no need to specialize in either though? I do both and it seems to both confuse and destroy everyone i have fought online. They're all like "Whew, i finally got away from his combos. time to*Weekend to the face* HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE!"
Yeah but you can absolutely combo into ki blasts as well. Unless there are multi-skill combos with strikes I am unaware of.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

cams posted:

Recoom Kick gives you a damage boost, and kicks off the Ginyu Z Soul that increases your stats when you get buffs

Orv
May 4, 2011
So this game is surprisingly great, except for one bit, which is that my long-ago knowledge of Dragonball fights seems to contain a lot of smashing people into the ground and then lasering them in the face while they're there. Except regular ki blasts don't do poo poo when you do that, presumably because stand up/prone has some kind of frames on it, but are there any abilities that get around that when you ground someone?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You get a bunch of strike buffs working together if you're a human, kaoken x3, and keep the ki meter full. So at least there's major damage incentive for going melee.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

God drat these servers. I just want to play single player and still be online on steam gently caress

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Firstborn posted:

I just want to say... if you are a Ki Dude, and you aren't using Big Bang Attack, what the gently caress are you doing?

Big Bang Attack does damage during the start-up pose, then full damage of the actual attack after. It is the best ki attack I've found to combo into from strings. Go get it...

How in the gently caress do you make Vegeta go Super in that mission to get the attack? I've beaten it with Hercule at over 90% health, I've hung around to make sure Vegeta says the thing about Hercule being weak, I've done everything I can think of. I've done it at least a dozen times today trying to get Big Bang and gave up. I loved using it on SSJ4 Vegeta whenever I was messing around with him.

ON THAT NOTE- I wished for more characters, which gives you SSJ4 Gogeta, and for some loving reason I can't actually CONTROL him. He's grayed out. I can choose him as an ally though.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I wanna play with goons, and also fight against goons.

Goon Tournament? Is that happening? Is it even possible?

I'm on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/id/pmalus

Edit: For anybody that wants to see the game in action before buying, I'm streaming at twitch.tv/pmalus

Pyrus Malus fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Mar 1, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Pyrus Malus posted:

Goon Tournament? Is that happening? Is it even possible?

We'd have to set it up outside of the game but I don't see any reason it wouldn't work. Maybe give the game a little longer to mature so more people have lv80 characters?

e: Also, throwing my hat in the ring:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordofbutt/

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Mar 1, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Orv posted:

So this game is surprisingly great, except for one bit, which is that my long-ago knowledge of Dragonball fights seems to contain a lot of smashing people into the ground and then lasering them in the face while they're there. Except regular ki blasts don't do poo poo when you do that, presumably because stand up/prone has some kind of frames on it, but are there any abilities that get around that when you ground someone?

Just wait a little longer before you use your ki blasts or use something like kamehameha and charge it up before you let it go. Maybe it'll miss at first but it hits several times in succession, should still hit them a lot. I guess it takes some practice?

Knocking people and then hitting them with a galeck gun as they get back up is like the best part of this game. (Although it sucks when an ally teleports in and knocks your target out of the way right as you're striking)

The best is when 2 or more people kamehameha the same target. They get stunned in place so you all hit all the more times.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I am building up Stamina and Basic Attacks because I love combo chains, knocking people away and zweeing behind them to continue the combos, and I believe this technique can defeat Anybody.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best was when Goku threw Raditz into the path of my special beam cannon, actually.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Holy cow, PQ19 is utterly brutal. I assume they're only gonna get worse from here :(

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

PaybackJack posted:

Super Vegeta first try, sorry to anyone who has to grind that quest. Although I guess that means me since I still only A ranked it.

gently caress off and die hth

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Cell gives you a few Strikes, as does Hercule. Cell gives you the "All Clear", which is a cool green swipe punch that nullifies Ki attacks and does damage. Some strike moves let you cancel the animation, do them while blocking, and they combo very naturally into any string which extends them very well. You can stop short of the very last move in a string and do a Strike where your favorite Blast might have start-up that won't combo. That being said I think even a Strike dude should bring a Ki Blast with him.

Sorry New Leaf, the game apologized to me by giving me Big Bang on the first run, so I didn't have any time to try to discern what the gently caress was going on. Just kind of played it as I usually would and it happened.

Also, there is Saiyan Armor without tails, or you can cover the tail up with certain pants.

Whenever I see a bro charge a beam, I also charge a beam to get sweet team-up attacks. Then my jack off crystal glows.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 1, 2015

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Just wait a little longer before you use your ki blasts or use something like kamehameha and charge it up before you let it go. Maybe it'll miss at first but it hits several times in succession, should still hit them a lot. I guess it takes some practice?

Knocking people and then hitting them with a galeck gun as they get back up is like the best part of this game. (Although it sucks when an ally teleports in and knocks your target out of the way right as you're striking)

The best is when 2 or more people kamehameha the same target. They get stunned in place so you all hit all the more times.

Yeah now that I've had some sleep since getting the game it's not that they have iframes or anything but that shooting from the position I was before was missing them by an inch or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Break Strike and the variants of it make getting no damage so annoying...

• Locked thread