Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
p much every bolt thrower album is 40k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That is true, I think this is the only official album with the actual 40k cover art though. There may be others , anyway long story short the local Gaming store would play this loving thing on loop when we had 2nd Edition 40k Tournaments 20 odd years ago at full volume.

I think I've told this story before, but during a 40k Tournament two of my friends actually got in a physical fight, because of template placement and which models were hit. This ended with one of my friends monkey flipping the other Captain Kirk style while the Store Manager tried to give them weapons to fight with including a switchblade and a baseball bat. Thankfully neither were serious hurt and didn't take any of the weapons offered while this fight was going on.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Mar 1, 2015

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

And Bolt Thrower left Games Workshop because they were control freaks. Lyrics, covers, the whole sheebang.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

lots of people ITT really dislike GW. besides the increases in pricing over the years, what do people not like about GW? I can't stand their codex system, myself. wish they released things concurrently for better balancing.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

lots of people ITT really dislike GW. besides the increases in pricing over the years, what do people not like about GW? I can't stand their codex system, myself. wish they released things concurrently for better balancing.

Seemingly random FAQ decisions, literally no community interaction, have to be dragged kicking and screaming into adapting any kind of digital technology, ridiculous adherence to secrecy, slow erosion of hobby support in exchange for more commercial space, consistent progress from skirmish game with varied pieces to massive war game with multiple reiterations of the same new expensive piece. Is that most of the rest of it?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Why not read any of the threads on games workshop? We're pretty clear about the whys and wherefores.

Personally, it's because it was one of my first games, and went from a great setting that captured the imagination to the scientology of hobbies.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Kaysette posted:

I only use /r/warhammer to find bad content for this thread.

No Doc Thunder or tit Marines in general spotted, 5/10.

I do like Giant Head Picard Commissar, though:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Post 9-11 User posted:

I do like Giant Head Picard Commissar, though:

and that's one of their newer Commissars too, isn't it? Here I was thinking their sculpts got a lot better lately.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, the plastic Commissar pales in comparison to the last set of metal ones, which have loads of character and far better details:

It's way more convertible though, and I turned that plastic one into a gas masked Commissar I'll eventually paint up for my stormies:

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

SRM posted:

Yeah, the plastic Commissar pales in comparison to the last set of metal ones, which have loads of character and far better details:

It's way more convertible though, and I turned that plastic one into a gas masked Commissar I'll eventually paint up for my stormies:

Sick nasty with the Plasma-gat.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

theironjef posted:

Seemingly random FAQ decisions, literally no community interaction, have to be dragged kicking and screaming into adapting any kind of digital technology, ridiculous adherence to secrecy, slow erosion of hobby support in exchange for more commercial space, consistent progress from skirmish game with varied pieces to massive war game with multiple reiterations of the same new expensive piece. Is that most of the rest of it?

Also the spurious legal threats and attempts to claim ownership of things they clearly don't by lying in court.

We have a whole GW death thread for that though.

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

theironjef posted:

I've never understood their disdain and willingness to avoid their own consumer base. I mean, sure, I've met a few managers at GW stores who were decent enough to talk to, but the company at large...

Didn't they stop running Games Day? or was that only a US thing.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

theironjef posted:

There's the one of having your army you've paid good money on and time painting/converting only to have it become invalid come the next codex. Blood Angels are no longer the jump army they used to be. Special characters like Marbo are starting to disappear into the aether. I have a Wazdakka and Zogwort I both spent a decent chunk of bits and time working on, which are now 'bike warboss' and 'wierdboy'. What they did to mob rule is it's own sad tale. We're still waiting to find out exactly what the deal with the new base sizes is supposed to be. Codex's chopped up and broken into multiple books which is quite a money grab considering how thin some of them are on content now or that you have to pay for the ability to play an army the way you're used to. 6th edition lasting 2 years. Retailer demands so outrageous that places are not only not carrying them any more, but considering banning their games from the store.

I really miss being able to enjoy this game...

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Can you guys not do this?

Not that I don't respect everyone's opinions, it's just... :vomarine:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Blood Angels are no longer the jump army they used to be. Special characters like Marbo are starting to disappear into the aether.

You could use this argument though to say every time they add an option, every successor to this Codex has to have this option. Blood Angels didn't ALWAYS have ASM Troops, so the moment they do, under this argument every successive Codex for them (until next Codex? Next Edition? Forever?) has to have it or 'You're taking our options away!' and eventually by that logic, every Codex will have every option, and you might as well be bashing the models together to see who wins. Of course, there's a pretty common argument that 40k isn't that far off that exact state of affairs now anyway as GW clearly has finally completed their transformation from 'Games company' through the middle years of 'model company that makes games to sell models' to 'Just loving buy this, we put extra spikes on it and impaled babies or something and yeah, here's some "rules" like the stats you used to get on the back of Transformers packages, what the gently caress I don't know'.

Actually, just accepting you're no longer playing a wargame but a geek-wallet comparison is probably sensible.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

CHANGE PLACES, also

Captain Invictus posted:

Best part about Warhammer: people blowing hundreds if not thousands of dollars on miniatures only for them to be coated in an often stupid gimmick paintjob

NTRabbit posted:

Void Dragon Phoenix

The built in lighting on my clay and quartz crystal base is very much a wip, but this is Mk I

Can you hear that?
"...climb into the danger zone..."
"I feel the need - the need, for speed"

Claiming the Journal for Maverick and Goose :v:

:dukedog:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Can you guys not do this?

Not that I don't respect everyone's opinions, it's just... :vomarine:

Games would be way better if you could comfortably discuss both the positive and negative of a topic without people making posts like this one

keep on scrollin bro :)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
3/5 games down, first was a complete victory, second a major loss, third a major win. Currently sitting somewhere in the top 10 and definitely top Nids at this point. Anything could happen, but it's been a great tournament so far. The major loss has so far been my favorite game--it was a knock-down drag out fight against Dark Eldar/Eldar that could have gone either way. Both Gargoyle units failed to come back into Reserve, which lost me control of objectives when he got some lucky shots in. Ah well.

The third game was against a Bully Boyz Orks list which I mostly dominated. Due to Swooping around the whole game I had to reposition on my fifth turn to capture all objectives on the sixth. On fifth I had none of the objectives but was obviously going to win next round. The dude at the end of his fifth turn looked me straight in the face and said "I don't really want to play another round, let's just call it huh?" Gotta try I guess?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I've just had a caning off a daemons army. My opponent (nice guy) was using his usual list based around a big unit of screamers w/herald w/grimoire, huge unit of flesh hounds w/herald, and fateweaver and Belakor. I was using Eldar, some wave serpents and some bikes/vypers, not quite what I would have taken as a purely competitive list.

Had a pretty good first turn, I went first and killed Belakor and maybe half the hounds right off the bat. Thought it was all going smashingly and launched a turn 1 assault on the Herald of khorne with a full unit of 8 shining spears + autarch. His herald was still technically part of the flesh hound unit but had been isolated by intense firepower. He had 2 wounds left. I then completely whiffed all my attacks, he struck back and killed 3 shining spears and put the unit to flight. This left the flesh hounds + herald consolidating into easy charge range of my force, which I really hadn't counted on.

JESUS CHRIST I just now realise he still couldn't have assaulted me in his turn 1, as he ended up doing. God dammit.

In his turn 1, as well as the aforementioned assault killing a fire dragon squad and 2 vypers, the loving daemon warp storm blew up 2 wave serpents right off the bat. I was absolutely gobsmacked.

So I never really recovered from that point. With so much stuff in my grill and half my firepower units dead on turn 1, that left him firmly in the driving seat. So I ended up eventually getting rid of the hounds, wounding but not killing fateweaver, but never more than scratching the screamers, who obviously spent most of the game with a 2+ or 3+ inv save re-rolling 1s. It's a pretty nails army to fight. He managed to chase my remaining forces up against the board edges and take some of them out, and my obj secured jetbikes weren't too effective when he was going second.

A decisive loss, but I sort of blame the dice for that one. I feel I could've saved it a bit better after the 1st turn disaster, but I'm not really sure how.

Kicking myself for not catching the first turn assault issue though, that also would have made a huge difference and maybe rescued the game.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Genghis Cohen posted:

I've just had a caning off a daemons army. My opponent (nice guy) was using his usual list based around a big unit of screamers w/herald w/grimoire, huge unit of flesh hounds w/herald, and fateweaver and Belakor. I was using Eldar, some wave serpents and some bikes/vypers, not quite what I would have taken as a purely competitive list.

Had a pretty good first turn, I went first and killed Belakor and maybe half the hounds right off the bat. Thought it was all going smashingly and launched a turn 1 assault on the Herald of khorne with a full unit of 8 shining spears + autarch. His herald was still technically part of the flesh hound unit but had been isolated by intense firepower. He had 2 wounds left. I then completely whiffed all my attacks, he struck back and killed 3 shining spears and put the unit to flight. This left the flesh hounds + herald consolidating into easy charge range of my force, which I really hadn't counted on.

JESUS CHRIST I just now realise he still couldn't have assaulted me in his turn 1, as he ended up doing. God dammit.

In his turn 1, as well as the aforementioned assault killing a fire dragon squad and 2 vypers, the loving daemon warp storm blew up 2 wave serpents right off the bat. I was absolutely gobsmacked.

So I never really recovered from that point. With so much stuff in my grill and half my firepower units dead on turn 1, that left him firmly in the driving seat. So I ended up eventually getting rid of the hounds, wounding but not killing fateweaver, but never more than scratching the screamers, who obviously spent most of the game with a 2+ or 3+ inv save re-rolling 1s. It's a pretty nails army to fight. He managed to chase my remaining forces up against the board edges and take some of them out, and my obj secured jetbikes weren't too effective when he was going second.

A decisive loss, but I sort of blame the dice for that one. I feel I could've saved it a bit better after the 1st turn disaster, but I'm not really sure how.

Kicking myself for not catching the first turn assault issue though, that also would have made a huge difference and maybe rescued the game.

Daemons can be absolutely brutal, particularly when someone builds with Fateweaver/Grimoire to bring their invuln saves down to 2++. I took a thrashing against them a while back with my space marines-- I figured that spamming bolter/heavy bolter and assault cannon shots into them to force failures through the law of averages was the way to go, but nope!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wait how did you get a first turn assault on Flesh Hounds did you guys set up 18" away from each other?

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Dogs have Scout, which used to allow you first turn charge if you went second. One of the changes to 7th that a lot of people (myself included) missed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spacegoat posted:

Dogs have Scout, which used to allow you first turn charge if you went second. One of the changes to 7th that a lot of people (myself included) missed.

Scout or infiltrate or come in from reserves? Can't assault. Though if your enemy scouts halfway up the board you can charge them.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
Real loving long shot here, but do any of you guys have a Thudd Gun or Earthshaker Artillery that I could get measurements of? I want to support some third party model makers, namely Ramshackle Games (because this loving owns.) However, I can't find the measurements online and have no idea what that piece is close to.

On a side note, if you know any good third-party artillery, let me know. I'm building my Renegades and Heretics entirely from off-brand units and I want to stick to that as much as possible. I already know about the Mantic Jotun pieces, but otherwise I am open to anything.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Who bought my Grey Knights army? I haven't received payment yet but if it was a goon I will carry out my promise to buy the :darkeldar: emot and the avatar for the winner of the Hitler Moustachagon.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Uroboros posted:

Do Space Marines have a reliable counter to flying monstrous creatures? Even with anti-air stuff I played a guy with a 2+ jinking daemon prince that was awfully annoying.

Twin-linking guns will do most of it, but Stormtalons can also help. The thing to remember about Princes is that they're only T5, unlike most monstrous creatures, so they are a lot easier to wound with the medium-strength weapons. That 2+ Jink save is annoying, but that build for him is expensive (typically costing ~300pts) and is still just T5/W4 at the end of the day. If you're really struggling with them, Stalkers, Stormtalons, various FW flyers, the Hyperios launcher, Quad Guns, and many stripes of allied units are all viable ways to deal with him.

Miles O'Brian posted:

So I'm gonna make my Immortals with Tesla because Tesla was a cool dude and I want to salvage the gauss rods to convert my warriors with. How bad an idea is this now that Tesla is nerfed and Gauss is buffed?

When you're at 13"-24", Tesla is still the superior gun. Tesla is still a fine option for them, and while it may not be typically as good as Gauss, if you're mostly just moving around on foot shooting at infantry it's actually going to be better. It's great as a "skirmisher" gun for a block of ten Immortals you're sending towards an objective somewhere, less so for five guys falling out of a Night Scythe in the final turns of the game.

panascope posted:

Playing new Necrons some more, I can't help but feel big blocks of warriors are a bit of a trap if you aren't running a Decurion. You pretty much auto-lose combat even to junk like Assault Marines unless you heavily invest in a baller HQ unit/end up with Zealot as a warlord trait. Wraiths are bangin though, bring more Wraiths.

I don't think this is really true- yes, you can certainly get Swept in a bad fight, but that's always gonna be a concern for Necrons because that's just how they play. But even a block of, say, ten Assault Marines charging into a blob of Warriors with no character is actually a fight that should often go your way- they may be better fighters, but you have the advantage in durability. Sit there, soak casualties, and grind them down one by one. (Obviously this is contingent on not failing morale, so the Immortal Hubris or Eternal Madness warlord traits help a ton here.)

"Let me show to you the dance of my people..."

Kaysette posted:

I only use /r/warhammer to find bad content for this thread.

Reddit is like if 4chan were less competent and more child rapey.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Forgeworld bloodthirster is way better

that new one just looks like a balrog

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

koreban posted:

You should see it on turn 4 of a 4500 point game when we're a few beers in.

^^^This.

Up to turn 4: 1 hr/ 1-2 Rules looked up.

Turn 4+: 5 hrs/ Whole rule book combed through to include all FAQ's and internet references checked for odd interpretations.

AbusePuppy posted:

I don't think this is really true- yes, you can certainly get Swept in a bad fight, but that's always gonna be a concern for Necrons because that's just how they play. But even a block of, say, ten Assault Marines charging into a blob of Warriors with no character is actually a fight that should often go your way- they may be better fighters, but you have the advantage in durability. Sit there, soak casualties, and grind them down one by one. (Obviously this is contingent on not failing morale, so the Immortal Hubris or Eternal Madness warlord traits help a ton here.)

Ha.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Von Humboldt posted:

On a side note, if you know any good third-party artillery, let me know. I'm building my Renegades and Heretics entirely from off-brand units and I want to stick to that as much as possible. I already know about the Mantic Jotun pieces, but otherwise I am open to anything.

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DLBS30

Not that cheap but better than FW, places like Dark Sphere might have it discounted as well.

Hollismason posted:

Wait how did you get a first turn assault on Flesh Hounds did you guys set up 18" away from each other?

As people have pointed out, he scout moved them. So he was explicitly not allowed to launch an assault with that unit in either player's first turn (we hosed that up). But his scout move obviously brought him close enough that my shining spears were able to charge him (which is allowed).

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

Does anyone know as far as KR Multicase foam goes, will Jump Marines fit in the "troop" foam cutouts or the "terminator" sections? I ask this because I have regular ASMs and also Sang. Guard's with the fragile wings.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Fearless posted:

Daemons can be absolutely brutal, particularly when someone builds with Fateweaver/Grimoire to bring their invuln saves down to 2++. I took a thrashing against them a while back with my space marines-- I figured that spamming bolter/heavy bolter and assault cannon shots into them to force failures through the law of averages was the way to go, but nope!

Yeah, my opponent here is part of a group I've joined recently who are definitely in to squeezing the most out of lists. So for example his list is all about the combos, he has Fateweaver, the grimoire, guaranteed invisibility from Belakor, usually tries for cursed earth, hell of a lot of utility with other psychic powers and/or summoning. Very nasty list. Lot of people with hardcore eldar armies as well (I posted my game a couple weeks ago against eldar with hornets and a Lynx).

It really highlights to me how extreme 'competitive' 40k has become - top lists are dominated by a few quite non-traditional things like super heavies, flyers/FMCs or mammoth deathstar units, normally built around inv saves, shrouded cover saves, invisibility, attached ICs lending out special rules, re-rolls and blessings out the wazoo. I don't think games between competitively-minded players have ever looked less like 2 armies clashing. I don't want to be a grognard or anything, I'm aware this has always gone on and there have always been unbalanced units/armies. But I kind of wish we could go back to no allies, 1 FOC except by explicit agreement.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Von Humboldt posted:

Real loving long shot here, but do any of you guys have a Thudd Gun or Earthshaker Artillery that I could get measurements of? I want to support some third party model makers, namely Ramshackle Games (because this loving owns.) However, I can't find the measurements online and have no idea what that piece is close to.

I've got thudd guns, but without the little carriages. Which dimensions do you need?

Stanyer89 posted:

Does anyone know as far as KR Multicase foam goes, will Jump Marines fit in the "troop" foam cutouts or the "terminator" sections? I ask this because I have regular ASMs and also Sang. Guard's with the fragile wings.

The troop cutouts will be a tight fit, especially since you're using the new bases. Go for the terminator sized ones.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

AbusePuppy posted:

"Let me show to you the dance of my people..."

Actually I kind of like that pose. With the right paint job it could have a real cool Japanese woodcut oni vibe to him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Can a unit who has a dedicated transport deploy, from reserve, on another transport if that transport isn't dedicated?

For instance, could I take a 5 man Dire Avenger squad who has a Wave Serpent, and put them in a Reserved Falcon? I know the Dire Avengers and Wave Serpent need to deploy in the same turn... but that they don't have to be embarked.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

The troop cutouts will be a tight fit, especially since you're using the new bases. Go for the terminator sized ones.

I think you can just send them an email and they can make whatever you need

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Moola posted:

Forgeworld bloodthirster is way better

that new one just looks like a balrog

The funny thing is that when I saw how much the new BT cost I said "wow, that's gotta be like nearly what FW charges, right?" and then I looked at FW and poo poo a brick. At first I thought GW must have made them raise the prices so the plastic one didn't seem so outrageous :tinfoil:, so I even looked at the wayback machine (which was kind of neat/depressing seeing the models that are OOP), but nope, it was always that expensive, give or take a couple of pounds.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Boon posted:

Can a unit who has a dedicated transport deploy, from reserve, on another transport if that transport isn't dedicated?

For instance, could I take a 5 man Dire Avenger squad who has a Wave Serpent, and put them in a Reserved Falcon? I know the Dire Avengers and Wave Serpent need to deploy in the same turn... but that they don't have to be embarked.

Looks like you can, only thing to remember is no other unit can begin the game inside the dedicated transport.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

thegodofchuck posted:

The funny thing is that when I saw how much the new BT cost I said "wow, that's gotta be like nearly what FW charges, right?" and then I looked at FW and poo poo a brick. At first I thought GW must have made them raise the prices so the plastic one didn't seem so outrageous :tinfoil:, so I even looked at the wayback machine (which was kind of neat/depressing seeing the models that are OOP), but nope, it was always that expensive, give or take a couple of pounds.

It's also HUGE, would be cool to see a side by side of all the thirsters now,
Speaking of OOP, did they stop selling the Lucius Wolf pattern or did I just not see it?

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

BULBASAUR posted:

I've got thudd guns, but without the little carriages. Which dimensions do you need?
Without the carriages? Curious how those look. But the length and height of the weapon itself, then the length of whatever you have it situated on, would be perfect. Really appreciate it, by the way.

Genghis Cohen posted:

http://shop.spartangames.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DLBS30

Not that cheap but better than FW, places like Dark Sphere might have it discounted as well.
Dark Sphere does have them at a respectable discount, but won't ship them to the USA - I wanted to see their cost for shipping, and just flat out said "sorry, GW won't let us do this." There's a few places over here I can snag them from at similar prices, but I want to shop around some more first. Lovely models, and just what I need, though!

Genghis Cohen posted:

It really highlights to me how extreme 'competitive' 40k has become - top lists are dominated by a few quite non-traditional things like super heavies, flyers/FMCs or mammoth deathstar units, normally built around inv saves, shrouded cover saves, invisibility, attached ICs lending out special rules, re-rolls and blessings out the wazoo. I don't think games between competitively-minded players have ever looked less like 2 armies clashing. I don't want to be a grognard or anything, I'm aware this has always gone on and there have always been unbalanced units/armies. But I kind of wish we could go back to no allies, 1 FOC except by explicit agreement.
Honestly, there's no putting that genie back in the model. I was, about a year ago, griping on here about the same stuff and looking for ways to comp or mitigate the strong armies. It escalated into a hardcore arms race. Eventually, I said gently caress it and everything is going swimmingly. It's pretty telling that a list we all would have thought to be pure cheese last year (tons of SM Flyers with the Fire Base Cadre) is something that now might be a mid-table threat.
You just really need to make sure everyone is on the same phase - emphasize that these are pretty hard events - and actively hammer the dudes who turn it from "playing a hard list and a cool dude" to "playing a hard list and a real rear end in a top hat." Someone can still show with a sub-optimal list, and should have a good time just from playing with cool dudes, but they need to be aware of what they are stepping to.

Just search for pickup games and play with whatever lower power level you want, and if you can, get your local TOs (this is easy for me because I am one) to offer alternative events which emphasize those lower power levels as well. We're working in Team Events, Kill Team, and Planetstrike in amongst our tournaments, and we're fairly explicit that we expect different things in those events that in our Tournaments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
How does Skies of Fury on a stormraven work? If a guy bites it from dangerous terrain, the whole unit dies?

• Locked thread