Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Naxuz posted:

THE... what the hell is going on here? Seriously?

I'm personally kinda partial towards the black spaceship from a Moebius cartoon, the rest just make me mad that I eventually might have to look at them every goddamn time I pass by. (Except for the abstract conceptionalist one - is it supposed to be some weird theoretical treatise on use of communal space?)

I know what is this.

It's "Gehry sculptures and gently caress there is no time the deadline is here throw some random surfaces in Photoshop's void"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Future architectural failure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3v4rIG8kQA

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Naxuz posted:

THE ICE CUBE

This one is actually pleasant to look at, so there's no way in hell it's getting built.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i dont think so, tim

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Yeah lets build a transparent art museum art likes sunlight right?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Darth123123 posted:

Can someone post the ideal government federal building? Tia

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Penis bad, gun good.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I still hold that, like a lot of the art fascists were producing in the 1920s, this is really cool and interesting. And then the Hitler ruined everything.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Wanna live here.

Is it some kinda law that art museums must be, by definiton, really weird buildings?

Arterie pillow.

"We really wanna incorporate nature in our building"
"I got you fam"

Brinny-chan
Jul 7, 2007

Namely a Sergeant Knickerless Ass-wipe and Cuntstable Fanny Batterbum.

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Arterie pillow.

This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Where and what is it?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Brinny-chan posted:

This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Where and what is it?

Situated in the same austrian federal state that brought you Schwarzenegger. Actually it's a depiction of his heart after steroid abuse.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
It's the kunsthaus graz in austria. Designed by Peter Cook and Colin Fournier, it's supposed to be some sorta friendly alien or something?
Here's another view:

It can look cool when it's lit up:

But drat if it isn't like some sort of technological tumor in the daylight.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Sharpest Crayon posted:

It's the kunsthaus graz in austria. Designed by Peter Cook and Colin Fournier, it's supposed to be some sorta friendly alien or something?

Reminds me of the alien torture slugs in the new Star Trek.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Salvador Dali museum in Figueres, designed by... Salvador Dali. I kind of like this one.

Salvador Dali museum in Florida, not designed by Dali. Meh.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Ahaha please tell me those are noses on the side of the building. I also appreciate the giant eggs. Wonder if he was hungry when designing that. At least this one seems to have actual space you can use inside.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Goatse Haus

Your house looks like the back cover of the necronomicon, complete with the rear end in a top hat.

http://www.dezeen.com/2015/02/27/norwegian-tubakuba-mountain-hut-curving-wooden-orifice-bergen-norway-espen-folgero/

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Ahaha please tell me those are noses on the side of the building. I also appreciate the giant eggs. Wonder if he was hungry when designing that. At least this one seems to have actual space you can use inside.

I'm not sure what those things are.

How about some loaves of bread to go with your eggs?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The Dali museum redeems every single other hideous art museum in the world.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

nomadologique posted:

it does exactly what it was designed to do.

that's not really how the word "problematic" is used.

troubling? perhaps. revealing? definitely. problematic? not really. systems of oppression have all sorts of problematic aspects deserving of inquiry, investigation, and critique, but that they are systems of oppression is not really one of those aspects (unless you are trying to decide what is and isn't a system of oppression).

You;re a fuckin fga

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

old buildings like churches and poo poo getting knocked down for big towers of smooth concrete is actually good and brutal as hell

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
Why does nearly everything built from 1960 onward look like poo poo? It can't just be brutalism. Maybe architects all really hate people?
My other option is that anyone rich or influential enough to commision a building is too self absorbed, sheltered and stupid to create anything good.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Say Nothing posted:

I'm not sure what those things are.

Do they have to constantly chase rock climbers off of this thing?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Yeah. At first they were installed because skaters were a major problem.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Bjarke has great ideas and uses amazing diagrams to tell compelling stories, but his buildings are kind of bad. Heatherwick is more of an artist than an architect. Plus his island park for NYC blows.

This is going to be a disaster of epic proportions.

Millions of Crows posted:

Why does nearly everything built from 1960 onward look like poo poo? It can't just be brutalism. Maybe architects all really hate people?
My other option is that anyone rich or influential enough to commision a building is too self absorbed, sheltered and stupid to create anything good.

This is A Bad Opinion.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

These dumb buildings look like slop. Like someone saying "I'm real smart and know how to design a building that won't collapse on itself."
Well, good for you! But why you gotta make 'em so ugly and full of glass and looking like vomit all over?
It's rude.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Millions of Crows posted:

Because gently caress the establishment, man.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, he probably at least went over the whole thing with Nuln Oil

The real question is whether or not they drybrushed them and where

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

Like someone saying "I'm real smart and know how to design a building that won't collapse on itself."

Russia, so it's probably just drunk.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
The Dali museum in St. Pete is actually really cool and cost $36 million to build. The best part about it isn't the bubbly glass curtain wall or the 200-ft replica of that dead nazi's mustache but its this sweet helical staircase:

murex fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 1, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Noggin Monkey posted:

This is A Bad Opinion.

It's a pretty good opinion, with that turkey thing as the only exception

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
brutalism is for nerds with bad taste and lefty leanings... no wonder the bad posters love it, they never had to live around this poo poo except for the 3 years at uni when they didnt live on their parents estate

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah Leftists love concrete and no expressionism and not interesting stuff like in 1984, the last book that those fascist Leftists made me read in highschool :emo:

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Professor Shark posted:

It's a pretty good opinion, with that turkey thing as the only exception

Yes, let's only build buildings that ape the styles of yore and disregard all the technological advancements and realities of modern living and development. Good plan.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Have some more unbuilt buildings.

quote:

In May 1908, Edward T. Carlton, an American hotelier, and William Gibbs McAdoo, the president of the New York and New Jersey Railroad Company, traveled to Spain to meet with the renowned Spanish architect, Antoni Gaudi (1852-1926) studied architecture in Barcelona, where he was surrounded by neo-classical and romantic designs. Gaudi became famous by reinterpreting these designs and working in the Art Nouveau and Art Moderne styles, and Sagrada Familia in Barcelona is considered to be his greatest work. Carlton and McAdoo sought to add a building based on Gaudi’s unique vision to the New York City skyline. He was asked to design a hotel that would be situated in Lower Manhattan. Gaudi designed multiple sketches of an 980 to 1,100 foot high hotel called the Hotel Atraccion (Hotel Attraction). It contained an exhibition hall, conference rooms, a theater, and five dining rooms, symbolizing the five continents. Had the hotel been built, it would have been the tallest building in New York City, and therefore in the United States. Sadly, this building would never be built (except in an alternative version of New York depicted in the television show fringe). Carlton wanted the hotel to serve the City’s wealthiest and most elite clientele. Gaudi’s remained true to his communist ideals, and he abandoned the project. According to another version of the story, Gaudi fell ill in 1909 and that brought about the end of the project. All that survive are conceptual sketches by Juan Matemala.

quote:

In 1923, the Reverend Christian Reisner of the Methodist Church in Washington Heights conceived of a grand church complex to be located at Broadway and West 173rd Street. Reverend Reisner developed a 40-story church which would have contained a 2,000-seat nave, a five-story basement, a swimming pool, a bowling alley, and would have been topped off with a 75-foot-high rotating cross. John D. Rockefeller Jr. donated $100,000 for the church’s construction. Like the other buildings, the Depression stopped Reverend Reisner from realizing his dreams.

New York City Hall proposal

quote:

John D. Rockefeller Jr. proposed this new civic center which included a space for the Metropolitan Opera. When the stock market crashed the Metropolitan Opera was unable to secure funding for a new building. As a result, Rockefeller redesigned his civic center into the Rockefeller Center we know today

"The Fashion Building"

quote:

This design by Emery Roth for the National Penn Colosseum was never built:

lol

quote:

The Coney Island Globe Tower was conceived of in 1906 as the largest steel structure ever erected. Samuel Friede designed the 700 foot high globe whose 11 floors were to be filled with restaurants, a vaudeville theater, a roller skating rink, a bowling alley, a slot machines, an Aerial Hippodrome, four large circus rings, a ballroom in the world, an observatory, and weather observation station. Public money poured into the project with claims of 100% returns on investments. After two years of almost no construction, the Globe Tower was revealed to be a grand fraud.

Most of these taken from

http://untappedcities.com

I'll post more later

Bonus: Russian Fascist Headquarters in Japanese-Occupied China with gian, neon, glowing Swastika.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bitter Mushroom posted:

brutalism is for nerds with bad taste and lefty leanings... no wonder the bad posters love it, they never had to live around this poo poo except for the 3 years at uni when they didnt live on their parents estate

brutalism is just really boring, if you're going to project power and dominance you might as well do something interesting like neo-gothic

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nckdictator posted:

Bonus: Russian Fascist Headquarters in Japanese-Occupied China with gian, neon, glowing Swastika.

more context please

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

more context please

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Fascist_Party

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax

Say Nothing posted:

Russia, so it's probably just drunk.

I'm cracking up over the car doing :yikes:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

it takes a really long time for the person with the grocery bag to react

if you see a building fall over next to you you should probably start running away insteadof waiting to see how it plays out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Noggin Monkey posted:

Yes, let's only build buildings that ape the styles of yore and disregard all the technological advancements and realities of modern living and development. Good plan.

lol none of those things are true about modern architecture.

This ugly building is good because it's "advanced" because it's modern. It's ugly as poo poo, but whatever.

• Locked thread