Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Etrips posted:

Looks like the cyber grip is the only good solution at the moment, but it is like $40 shipped from Japan or something.

http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

There's this, too. Mine is coming in on MOnday, it's not quite as large and nice as the Cyber one, looks like, but yeah, it's under $8 shipped in North America. I'll post pics and crap when it comes in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does the DSTWO even emulate GBA games well?

That's a shame that they discontinued it for a newer 3DS one since I wouldn't trust using a 3DS flash card since I don't want my system banned.

The ban was proven to be related to something else and no one is banned now. However, I honestly believe 3DS piracy is real bad and you should only get one to back up your personally owned copies of Taiko no Tatsujin.

Jadaris
May 9, 2003

I am Leto, Lion of Atreides

Ciaphas posted:

I dunno, two hours? Something like that? Why doesn't the load game screen have a timer on it.

You are basically just starting the game, stick with it. It's real good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Housh posted:

Yeah that sounds like my jam.

Yeah don't think of the 3 days system as a "time limit", it's not really there to add difficulty. It's there as almost a "Groundhog Day" mechanic, so you can eventually learn everything that happens in the world at a certain place at a certain time & then repeat history and alter the timeline with your knowledge. It's really cool to see an experimental gameplay concept like that in a series like Zelda (which can be pretty by-the-book sometimes), I think that's part of why Majora's Mask is so adored

edit: the times when it DOES add tension and you're rushing to get to a certain place at a certain time or you're trying to finish off a boss and clear a dungeon right before the end of the final day are rare but also very cool & effective; it's a real good rush when you pull it off

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If it makes you feel any better, LBW didn't grab me and I don't think it's that great, but I don't regret buying it and I might play it again once I beat all of these other 3DS games.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Fuzz posted:

http://www.eachmall.com/goods-43600-51876.html

There's this, too. Mine is coming in on MOnday, it's not quite as large and nice as the Cyber one, looks like, but yeah, it's under $8 shipped in North America. I'll post pics and crap when it comes in.

When did you order it? Might pick one up, have a tendency to get tendonitis in the wrist and I definitely do not want to awaken that beast again.

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012
If you're only playing DS backups on your 3DS is there really a chance of getting your 3DS banned? I thought it was only playing 3DS backups online?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jadaris posted:

You are basically just starting the game, stick with it. It's real good.

Besides adding Lorule does it change significantly? The other zelda games' grab for me was kind of getting the next dungeon item and becoming more powerful/capable over time. That's... kind of not present so far, with the rental/purchase mechanic. Maybe that's why it's not grabbing :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

The ban was proven to be related to something else and no one is banned now. However, I honestly believe 3DS piracy is real bad and you should only get one to back up your personally owned copies of Taiko no Tatsujin.

In that case I'll pick one up. I honestly only want one for stuff that isn't on the eShop and bonuses like playing GB games in Super GB palettes.

Do we know when the 3DSTWO is supposed to drop?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

noirstronaut posted:

If it makes you feel any better, LBW didn't grab me and I don't think it's that great, but I don't regret buying it and I might play it again once I beat all of these other 3DS games.

Are you real into Zelda games? Just curious because I'm not and kind of felt the same way; I think it was absolutely the best Zelda game to come out in a long time but I also haven't been really into a Zelda game since I was a young kid (probably Wind Waker was the most recent one I really got into?) and I don't know if it's just my tastes that have changed or if the series has kind of gotten stale. Did anyone think Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword were really special/incredible the same way you did playing Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time back when they came out??

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

goferchan posted:

Are you real into Zelda games? Just curious because I'm not and kind of felt the same way; I think it was absolutely the best Zelda game to come out in a long time but I also haven't been really into a Zelda game since I was a young kid (probably Wind Waker was the most recent one I really got into?) and I don't know if it's just my tastes that have changed or if the series has kind of gotten stale. Did anyone think Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword were really special/incredible the same way you did playing Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time back when they came out??

I'm not super into Zelda, but I don't hate the series. I feel pretty indifferent about it as a whole, but I'm really enjoying Majora's Mask. I honestly can not tell you I've actually cared for any other parts of the series, but I don't hate them or feel bored. They're fun, I'll play them, beat them, but I won't feel any sort of way about them.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Besides adding Lorule does it change significantly? The other zelda games' grab for me was kind of getting the next dungeon item and becoming more powerful/capable over time. That's... kind of not present so far, with the rental/purchase mechanic. Maybe that's why it's not grabbing :shrug:

The bulk of the game is in Lorule or in places in Hyrule you can now access with the new abilities you're about to get, it's just getting started. You'll begin getting new items in dungeons in addition to the stuff you can rent, and you'll also be able to upgrade your old rental items to have new functionality. Think of what you've played so far as a way of making sure you've got the hang of all the items you've had available to you from the start; your selection is going to open up, combat will become harder, and all the best dungeons are in the Lorule part of the game. The structure doesn't change significantly but now you have like a new 8 different dungeons in front of you instead of the four in Hyrule and you have quite a few more tools to work with

Like I posted above I didn't go crazy over Link Between Worlds but it's a good game and you definitely haven't gotten to the best part yet. One good thing I can say about it is that there's not a lot of filler and the game doesn't really lose any steam, at no point was I wishing for it to hurry up and be over with (which is usually the case eventually even in games I enjoy)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Etrips posted:

When did you order it? Might pick one up, have a tendency to get tendonitis in the wrist and I definitely do not want to awaken that beast again.

I think like last Monday or maybe Sunday? something like that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I guess I'll keep giving it more time, then. It's strange, it used to be Zelda games would just absorb the poo poo out of me for days on end. Knew every trick in the book for Zelda 2, LttP, and Ocarina way back when, and Majora's too.

Maybe getting older (as though 30 is in any way 'old', christ) is changing my tastes for the worse :smith:

(edit) That and despite the headaches from using the 3DS (in 2D, mind) going away, I still wish I had bigger screens to use, like one of those PC monitor attachments or something. Makes it easier to lean back in my chair and play.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Veskit posted:

Is there anyway to figure out what the next "special edition" new 3ds is? Like a certain time of year they usually announce one or anything like that. I'm considering snagging one but if they're coming out with a better option than red for me (girlfriend has black 3ds) than I'd like to consider it. Just curious thanks everyone.

Considering they're all based on specific games/series, they generally get announced about a month or two before the relevant title does. So you can probably rule out a scarlet Xenoblade XL, as they've already announced the faceplate and the game's out in only a month.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

As pointed out, the rental system is misleading. I think almost all of the dungeons in Lorule give you some kind of power up that isn't a rental thing. I actually felt kind of the same way when I first got to Lorule, and just started banging out some of the dungeons and the feeling of getting stronger and progressing started to come full swing. A minor spoiler, but based on what you said, I think if you follow it, you will be more engaged - do the Thieve's Den dungeon as the first dungeon in Lorule (it's the one in the Lorule version of Kakariko Village) which allows you to do the desert dungeon as the next one. If you do it in that order, it really gets the game into that Zelda groove of becoming more powerful and capable over time.

As a counter argument to noirstronaut, I was never a huge fan of the Zelda series either, and Wind Waker HD convinced me to play ALBW, which is honestly probably my favorite game on the 3DS. I've said it a couple times in various threads, but I played the game in 2 sittings, the first was 8 hours long and the second was 10. I haven't played a game for more than 2.5 hours straight in probably 15 years.

Also, don't worry too much about renting vs. buying the items. I bought them as quickly as possible, but I died 1 time in my playthrough, so I honestly didn't have to buy any of them.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I think the general lack-of-progression feeling plagues all of ALBW, even the Lorule portions. Because you can take on the dungeons in any order, they never get any harder or build on previous mechanics. If anything, the dungeons get easier as you progress rather than harder because you're collecting more heart pieces. It's really a terrible design decision, and proof that Nintendo should never listen to whiney internet nerds about Zelda again. :colbert:

I do like a lot of other things about ALBW though, especially the walking-in-walls mechanic which is actually used in clever ways.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

mancalamania posted:

I think the general lack-of-progression feeling plagues all of ALBW, even the Lorule portions. Because you can take on the dungeons in any order, they never get any harder or build on previous mechanics. If anything, the dungeons get easier as you progress rather than harder because you're collecting more heart pieces. It's really a terrible design decision, and proof that Nintendo should never listen to whiney internet nerds about Zelda again. :colbert:

I do like a lot of other things about ALBW though, especially the walking-in-walls mechanic which is actually used in clever ways.

On the other hand. gently caress progression treadmills where you now hit twice as hard and the enemies have twice as much health! It's nice to actually get more powerful.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Yeah, I really liked becoming more and more powerful as the game went on. I thought it was super cool, and I liked that the dungeons were made challenging with puzzles rather than enemies with bigger healthbars.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
To me it felt a lot like Mega Man X and the various Metroid games where you feel super weak starting out, but by the end you feel powerful and can take anything on. I am just realizing now that that is probably why I love Metroidvania games. I'm also just realizing why people like jrpgs and Monster Hunter, while those games are like hell to me.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The problem with Link Between Worlds is not so much the difficulty curve but rather the fact that you never gain any new abilities with each dungeon. You just get passive upgrades instead. While those are nice I guess, it loses the magic that other Zelda games captured when you found the dungeon items for the first time. It completely revolutionized how you approached them and generally gave you a new gameplay mechanic to toy with. Link Between Worlds has zero of that because you rent/buy every single item that matters pretty much from the getgo.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
They should make a 2D Zelda with masks.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

The problem with Link Between Worlds is not so much the difficulty curve but rather the fact that you never gain any new abilities with each dungeon. You just get passive upgrades instead. While those are nice I guess, it loses the magic that other Zelda games captured when you found the dungeon items for the first time. It completely revolutionized how you approached them and generally gave you a new gameplay mechanic to toy with. Link Between Worlds has zero of that because you rent/buy every single item that matters pretty much from the getgo.

Honestly I think you're right but I also think the net gain from finding a way to switch up the Zelda Game structure outweighed the negative from losing that satisfying familiar curve. That "magic" starts being a little predictable after the first seven or eight games in the franchise

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

I've got one sitting in a drawer that I can't use because I don't have a DS to update the firmware with

I want to say there is an "emergency update" function or similar where if the card sees a file on its sd card with a certain name it runs it right away with no user input. All it needs is power, which the 3ds will provide, no?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ciaphas posted:

I guess I'll keep giving it more time, then. It's strange, it used to be Zelda games would just absorb the poo poo out of me for days on end. Knew every trick in the book for Zelda 2, LttP, and Ocarina way back when, and Majora's too.

Maybe getting older (as though 30 is in any way 'old', christ) is changing my tastes for the worse :smith:

(edit) That and despite the headaches from using the 3DS (in 2D, mind) going away, I still wish I had bigger screens to use, like one of those PC monitor attachments or something. Makes it easier to lean back in my chair and play.

i absolutely agree -- i'd love for monster hunter to be up on my tv instead of in a tiny screen

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

the truth posted:

KI:U ground sections give me motion sickness. It's a cool game, though. Very impressive for a launch title, and interesting to see how many mechanics carried over to Super Smash Bros.

Kid Icarus Uprising was not a launch title, it came out about a year after the console's release.

I just finally decided to get KI:U myself and started it tonight and now I understand what all the hype is about. I'm not completely used to the controls yet but the game is a lot of fun and the mechanics are really satisfying. Palutena and Pit have good interactions and that gives additional personality to the game. The level design is solid and the variety of serious and silly looking enemies is actually sort of fitting considering the series' roots. It was money well spent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah nobody is playing any 3DS launch titles. They were real weak out the gate

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

The level where Pit starts singing along to the music thats playing is one of my most favorite moments in games ever.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I got KI:U from the club nintendo coin deal and the game is an amazing fun great looking game that has without a doubt the worst controls I've ever had the misfortune of playing and it bums me the gently caress out because it looks great.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Haruharuharuko posted:

I got KI:U from the club nintendo coin deal and the game is an amazing fun great looking game that has without a doubt the worst controls I've ever had the misfortune of playing and it bums me the gently caress out because it looks great.

Man stick with it for a while. It's different, but for the kind of game it is I think you get way more precision the way it's set up than you would with a dual analog control scheme

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

goferchan posted:

Man stick with it for a while. It's different, but for the kind of game it is I think you get way more precision the way it's set up than you would with a dual analog control scheme

Oh it's more precise but its still just painful to play not in a my wrists hurt but just there has to be a better way black and white infomercial kind of way. Like Peace Walker on psp totally worked using the buttons as the right analog stick or just add a lock on with it and boom problem solved.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

goferchan posted:

Did anyone think Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword were really special/incredible the same way you did playing Link's Awakening or Ocarina of Time back when they came out??
So, playing Ocarina of Time. It was long ago, and I enjoyed games in a different way at that time 'cause I was still a kid. It was a special experience, that's for sure. I remember being overjoyed when I caught a fish in the fishing pond that was heavier than my older brother's weight record. I got stuck in the water temple like an idiot.

At the time, it was Zelda going 3D. It was fantastic. It's only in retrospect that I've come to find Majora's Mask a better game, I don't think I thought that when I played it originally.

Wind Waker I liked, but never really loved to that degree. It was a good game, but... not extra spectacular like OoT had been.

Now, Twilight Princess? I loved that. I straight up loved that. In fact, Twilight Princess (GC) is my favourite 3D Zelda. And I didn't even play it when it was new, for whatever reason, instead I borrowed it from a friend and played it through not long before Skyward Sword came out. I loved the world, I loved the graphic style, I loved the characters. The dungeons were great. The Dominion Rod sidequest was perhaps not the game's finest moment, but in the end I didn't really find it that bad.

Also, Midna.

Also, dual Clawshots. If you don't think that's the coolest thing ever, I don't know what's wrong with you.

So, basically, yeah. While I can't say the experience was identical, just as I had found OoT incredible back in the day, I found TP incredible when I played it.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

goferchan posted:

Yeah nobody is playing any 3DS launch titles. They were real weak out the gate

Ridge Racer 3D and Bust A Move Universe are both fantastic, and well worth the $5 people seem to be selling them for right now.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Steel Diver is a fun game.

OOT and Star Fox were supposed to be launch titles but Nintendo held them back because third-party publishers complained that their games weren't going to get any attention if they launched alongside games that people might actually want to buy.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

goferchan posted:

I agree with this. Taking advantage of the 3ds touchscreen to let you have what's basically a twin-stick shooter with all the precision of being able to just aim with a stylus is really good. At first I was annoyed that sometimes on the ground enemies would get behind me before I could turn around but then I discovered with good timing it's possible to hit things that are behind you. I don't feel that the control scheme is perfect by any means but for what it tries to accomplish it feels well thought out.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I bought MM physical and feel I should avoid buying any 3DS game digital due to the Ocarina situation. Is that sensible or should I just get over it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
What Ocarina situation? That its underprinted and overpriced? That's an argument for digital if anything.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's kinda hard to find oot carts and when you do, they are often for above retail price

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Haruharuharuko posted:

Yeah, that game has garbage controls that actively cause discomfort and pain for a lot of people.

I'd take a Kid Icarus game that played that way on the Wii U with Wii Remote or dual stick controls, cause then it'S Sin and Punishment, but it's basically unplayable on a 3DS, IMO.

Lofty132 posted:

I bought MM physical and feel I should avoid buying any 3DS game digital due to the Ocarina situation. Is that sensible or should I just get over it?

Eh, worry about playing games you buy instead of reselling them, cause there's no telling which games are gonna be rare, and you won't become rich selling a 3DS game $20 above MSRP anyway.

If anything I stay away from digital Nintendo releases just because they still handle the technical side of them terribly. But it's nice that they're there in case I have to play an old rare game that I can't find.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I did get my eshop licenses transferred when I bought the n3ds, but it requires calling customer service and up to 7 business days for the transfer to be approved or reviewed or something.

I'm kind of conflicted, because owning the carts doesn't rely on the retarded non-account system, but digital is just so convenient. What I usually end up doing is selling my cart if I can get the game off the eShop on sale (SMT4 and EO4 for example).