Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Good dog :3:

e: In a rather amazing moment of pure Dwarf Fortress What The gently caress, a magma crab just climbed out of the caldera of the volcano - onto the glacier ice - which melted - so the crab plopped into the water, making a nice cloud of steam - which immediately froze again, because hey it's pretty goddamn cold here. Bye crab :wave:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

StrangeAeon posted:

Huh. That's what I thought, but it's not working.

Remember to close quickfort if it's running, because it interferes with keyboard shortcuts.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

e: In a rather amazing moment of pure Dwarf Fortress What The gently caress, a magma crab just climbed out of the caldera of the volcano - onto the glacier ice - which melted - so the crab plopped into the water, making a nice cloud of steam - which immediately froze again, because hey it's pretty goddamn cold here. Bye crab :wave:
That seems fine right up until it refreezes to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zereth posted:

That seems fine right up until it refreezes to me.

Creature and environmental temperatures are both dynamic -- presumbly enough of the crab's heat dissipated in the freezing environment, preventing it from melting more ice. :science:

I also expect that freezing killed it, and that dead crabs don't maintain homeostasis.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Creature and environmental temperatures are both dynamic -- presumbly enough of the crab's heat dissipated in the freezing environment, preventing it from melting more ice. :science:

I also expect that freezing killed it, and that dead crabs don't maintain homeostasis.
Yeah, I meant that the tile the crab made out of lava was in freezing while the superhot crab was still in it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Zereth posted:

Yeah, I meant that the tile the crab made out of lava was in freezing while the superhot crab was still in it.

Wouldn't it be made out of obsidian after being dumped into water, though?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think unusual temperature creatures like that just kinda have fixed temperatures which don't care what's going on so it should just sit there boiling the water away .

Turning into an obsidian crab after crawling out into the freezing cold after a while would be cool though.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Zereth posted:

I think unusual temperature creatures like that just kinda have fixed temperatures which don't care what's going on so it should just sit there boiling the water away .

Turning into an obsidian crab after crawling out into the freezing cold after a while would be cool though.

Pretty sure this would be a rare case of witnessing the birth of a Forgotten Beast.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got maybe a dozen children or so right now, and I'm tired of them sitting around doing literally nothing useful. How do I go about modding them to do menial poo poo like hauling? I don't want them working actual jobs or anything, but they could at least be useful dumping items or something.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

neogeo0823 posted:

I've got maybe a dozen children or so right now, and I'm tired of them sitting around doing literally nothing useful. How do I go about modding them to do menial poo poo like hauling? I don't want them working actual jobs or anything, but they could at least be useful dumping items or something.

You can enable labors on them with Dwarf Therapist.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crimson Harvest posted:

You can enable labors on them with Dwarf Therapist.

Is there any way to do it through DFHack? I've been using the autolabor plugin for it and I just remembered it overrides what DT tells the game to do.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Maybe Toady can incorporate neck armor. I just had a forbidden beast stop by and kill about twenty guys with "bit in the neck... severed part flies off in an arc!" Didn't even bother biting any other parts of my dwarves. Straight to the neckmeat.

Oh well, my population was too high anyway.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For face and neck protection you really need a mail shirt and/or some cloaks.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Shields are also pretty tremendous once you get the skill up.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

neogeo0823 posted:

Is there any way to do it through DFHack? I've been using the autolabor plugin for it and I just remembered it overrides what DT tells the game to do.

I don't think autolabor or manipulator will let you do it. Does autolabor clear out even the Child labors? I'd try setting them in DT (if you haven't already) for the children at least and see what happens.

edit: looking at the code autolabor should completely ignore children: https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/blob/master/plugins/autolabor.cpp#L784-L785

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Prop Wash posted:

Maybe Toady can incorporate neck armor. I just had a forbidden beast stop by and kill about twenty guys with "bit in the neck... severed part flies off in an arc!" Didn't even bother biting any other parts of my dwarves. Straight to the neckmeat.

Oh well, my population was too high anyway.

I actually tried modding helmets to cover the neck, and it doesn't work for some reason.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Is there any way to disable designation priority completely? I don't like how it obscures the type of designation by flashing between the two.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

Something like this has happened again, except this time a fire imp climbed out - onto the ice - which melted - and it sank into the water with a splash - but this time, it was over 3 z-levels of ice, so it continued to sink, and a ceiling of ice formed over the bubble of water 2 down, so now the fire imp is trapped in a tank of water surrounded by ice :allears:

I wonder what will happen if it tries to move. I'm pretty sure I can make a tunnel to it and trap it in any case.

e: woops all the water froze around it, but it seems to have created a little 1x1x1 pocket of space in which it is trapped - but it isn't melting ice any more, so I guess it got a little chilly in there :allears:

e: aww nope it's solid ice now :smith:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 2, 2015

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

It seems to me that children in DF have the potential to add some interesting mechanics to the game, rather than just eating your food and waiting around to be kidnapped.
I've always though it would be interesting to have a dedicated Teacher profession that worked with your dwarf children to corral them away in a room during the day, and help improve some of their stats when they reach maturity. There is a 'Teacher' skill anyways. It could probably apply to more than just training your military.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Dungeon Ecology posted:

It seems to me that children in DF have the potential to add some interesting mechanics to the game, rather than just eating your food and waiting around to be kidnapped.
I've always though it would be interesting to have a dedicated Teacher profession that worked with your dwarf children to corral them away in a room during the day, and help improve some of their stats when they reach maturity. There is a 'Teacher' skill anyways. It could probably apply to more than just training your military.

That would be pretty neat, actually. be able to designate school zones, which don't need, but would benefit from, chairs and tables. The bigger the room, the more children can fit in it. Each room can be designated to teach one subject, which raises the base level of skills and stats associated with it. For example, a class for ecology, which trains children to grow up to become all things farmer and ranger. Or a shop class that raises them to be engineers, craftsdwarves, and miners. Or a gym class that raises them to be warriors. Have several of these zones, all grouped near the main living/meeting area, and they'll fill up with kids who will automatically fill into whatever role the class teaches on maturity.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

What DF needs is interesting poo poo to do with/make for children, like schools and playgrounds.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

What DF needs is interesting poo poo to do with/make for children, like schools and playgrounds.

Or the ability to bait traps

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

awesmoe posted:

Or the ability to bait traps

Can you not designate children to chains?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

No, but you can put them in burrows :v:

e: i know, it's not the same :smith:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

That would be pretty neat, actually. be able to designate school zones, which don't need, but would benefit from, chairs and tables. The bigger the room, the more children can fit in it. Each room can be designated to teach one subject, which raises the base level of skills and stats associated with it. For example, a class for ecology, which trains children to grow up to become all things farmer and ranger. Or a shop class that raises them to be engineers, craftsdwarves, and miners. Or a gym class that raises them to be warriors. Have several of these zones, all grouped near the main living/meeting area, and they'll fill up with kids who will automatically fill into whatever role the class teaches on maturity.

I mean it would probably be easy to just have dwarves with a new teaching labor enabled come and teach in the school zone for a skill they already know and up to the level those other skills are faster if he can use some materials to demonstrate things.
So that legendary miner you have who usually embarked with just that skill might also now come with a teaching skill to skill up fresh miners with spare copper picks you make or something.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Or, y'know, the existing teaching labor, which would be ok too. e: Oh oops you mean labor and not skill oops.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would genuinely surprise me if Toady has not already considered this. Where is that boondoggle of a design goals document of his?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

How long do merchant caravans generally stay at the depot before leaving again? A human caravan just arrived and it's gonna take me a while to move the thousands of logs I have to the depot.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neogeo0823 posted:

How long do merchant caravans generally stay at the depot before leaving again? A human caravan just arrived and it's gonna take me a while to move the thousands of logs I have to the depot.

The merchant caravan will depart exactly one month after it arrived, even if during the intervening month it never made it to your depot.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm well past the wealth cap, and wealth vs. population has historically been a situation where passing either counts just as well as both. Goblins were listed as nearer on the list than any neighbors except dwarves, and I've had visits from humans and elves already. It's also a 2x2 embark so it's not very likely an ambush could be creeping around the map undiscovered either.

Just to confirm, in my current fort this is happening too - my pop is over 50 (raised my pop max after running with 7 for a while), I've been making all my furniture and poo poo out of gold and everything is as bling as possible, but I've only gotten an ettin and a werewolf for aboveground invaders and that's it, after five years. I'm certain I saw goblins on pre-embark screen too. :shrug:

e: dwarves, humans and elves have all been coming to trade just fine though :shrug:

neogeo0823 posted:

Note that they're limited in how much weight they can carry anyway.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 2, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Flesh Forge posted:

Just to confirm, in my current fort this is happening too - my pop is over 50 (raised my pop max after running with 7 for a while), I've been making all my furniture and poo poo out of gold and everything is as bling as possible, but I've only gotten an ettin and a werewolf for aboveground invaders and that's it, after five years. I'm certain I saw goblins on pre-embark screen too. :shrug:

e: dwarves, humans and elves have all been coming to trade just fine though :shrug:

I finally got sieged -- I ended up giving in and bumping my pop cap to 80, though I'm not sure that was a factor.

Funny thing is, there are no actual goblins in the siege. They're using goblin weapons, they have goblin names, the siege was announced with "a vile force of darkness has arrived!" ... but it's all elves. Every last one of them.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I finally got sieged -- I ended up giving in and bumping my pop cap to 80, though I'm not sure that was a factor.

Funny thing is, there are no actual goblins in the siege. They're using goblin weapons, they have goblin names, the siege was announced with "a vile force of darkness has arrived!" ... but it's all elves. Every last one of them.

They outsourced their army to a treefort they had already conquered.

Once the game announces that the caravan will be leaving soon, how long do they actually have before they leave? I've got like 5 things left to bring to the depot, and they're all my bins of various knicknacks that are actually worth something.

EDIT: I was able to trade away a couple thousand logs that had been brought in from around the map and now my FPS has gone from 11 and stuttering every second to ~20 and stuttering every couple of seconds. So, I just need to get rid of the other ~7k logs when the dwarven caravan comes by this fall and I think I might be in the clear.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 2, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

You may be joking but that might be what happened, although I'm fairly sure it's just kidnapped children that have grown up and bred like rabbits.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

neogeo0823 posted:

Once the game announces that the caravan will be leaving soon, how long do they actually have before they leave? I've got like 5 things left to bring to the depot, and they're all my bins of various knicknacks that are actually worth something.

EDIT: I was able to trade away a couple thousand logs that had been brought in from around the map and now my FPS has gone from 11 and stuttering every second to ~20 and stuttering every couple of seconds. So, I just need to get rid of the other ~7k logs when the dwarven caravan comes by this fall and I think I might be in the clear.

Would channeling down to the magma and then dumping the logs in do the trick?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Would channeling down to the magma and then dumping the logs in do the trick?

Probably? Admittedly, I haven't gotten that far down yet. I'm using the fort as a learning experience to get the hang of designing and running a fort before I invite Fun to my doors. I'll try doing that once I've gathered all the logs from around the map. That way I can dump them all to the fire gods more easily.

Incidentally, I drat well near had a heart attack just now. I went to save and close the game and it crashed during the save, at a portion where it said "cleaning objects". I reloaded the game and thank god it seems to have saved everything successfully. I would probably have started a new fort if I had to go back to the beginning of Spring again.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a dfhack command "hfs-pit" for that.

e: happy to report giant barn owl chicks are finally hatching, thanks elves :toot:

this is not gonna be a good day to be a goose or turkey

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 2, 2015

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I wish I could get some giant creatures to breed :( my current fort has a crundle farm, which turns out to be great for leather and bone because each crundle lays 10-20ish eggs and when they hatch they're immediately adults. I don't know how many species are like that but it sure simplifies the process.

I wonder if there's something weird with eggs though, some eggs will immediately fertilize and some never do.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

From reading about it that seems to just be how it works :shrug: You can micromanage it a bit with stockpile settings, but yeah you just kind of have to eyeball them and periodically let the eggs get taken out of the nest box or the animal won't lay more (you know this I suppose).

e: by the way some percentage of animals seems to be sterile, I've had a few occasions where they just NEVER reproduce, so I try to get at least two of each sex of whatever at embark.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Mar 2, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Greetings Elvish visitors, welco-

quote:

Elves are the only race which wholeheartedly accepts the devouring of enemy combatants.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

people joke about hating elves for being treehuggers but it's because they're weirdos who eat their own dead along with everyone else's