Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flatluigi posted:

Dude apparently people have blown up at you multiple times for the same thing where you felt you had to preload your excuse into your argument, maybe you should focus instead more on why people blow up at your argument. Makes sense to me!

Perhaps I should have clarified when I said you can't read context: What I actually meant was, your counterargument is bullshit. Not only did I literally not say that devs should "never do it because it's always awful" that's the exact opposite of the sentiment I was implying. If you actually bothered to think about what the words in my post meant instead of making some bullshit kneejerk response maybe you would've come to the realization that I appreciate gay people and so on being included in video games when it's not handled in a lovely overhanded and unrealistic way. Which it is the majority of the time. Your example of The Last of Us is an example of how it can be done well but more often than not it definitely is not that way, which sucks and undermines the message on the whole.

edit: removed the "just to fill out a checkbox" part because I am willing to contend that as an overreaction on my part. It definitely feels that way though sometimes.

The Sezza posted:

Fair enough. But the more it's done, even awkwardly and fumblingly, it still opens the door for further, hopefully more competent and tactful inclusion. Otherwise I imagine it's just 'those people aren't happy with anything, so we may as well not bother'.

Fwiw, here is an article about the character in question and the process of writing him. I think it all sounds pretty reasonable.

That is true. I'm just wondering when it's going to stop being the former and start being the latter.

This is not a little thing in games so I'll shut up about it now but it is kind of a sore spot which is why I tried to explain myself in the first place.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Mar 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
One thing I liked about Sera was that your whole party is full of awesomely competent people who've trained their whole lives and seen and done some crazy poo poo, while Sera is just this random elf that happens to be incredible with a bow and it blows everyone's mind that she's got all this talent without actually having worked for it.

Considering I played a city elf in the first game who was an utter nobody but death on wheels with a pair of daggers in her hands, it only felt right.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I really like it when a dev goes the extra mile and adds in small details in the different WW2 games I've played. Maybe its adding a little-known aircraft, or munitions they could carry, or it could be a very cool gun that doesn't get talked about enough.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Except it is plot-relevant because Krem's homeland is very stratified along gender roles, so his desire to join the military despite being born female informs the sort of person he is (and Tevinter's response fleshes out the sort of nation it is).

Also, your character only asks dumb questions about it if you make them do it. You don't have to click every single dialogue option.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The point is more the disapproval you get being far out of whack with every other situation in the entire game. Even forcing people to serve you under risk of being magically lobotomized doesn't get the same reaction which is funny as hell.

I think people like CJacobs are just annoyed with the way game wraps Krem in cotton wool because it's the same developers who have pulled some really lovely stuff in the past (as I mentioned earlier there was a character who existed purely to make jokes about transgender people, and the gay shopkeeper was an absurd stereotype). Positive LGBT representation is great, but pushing it so clumsily and treating them like they're made of glass does feel kind of condescending.

vvv - That I definitely agree on. I really dislike Sera but the way other characters play off of her is fantastic.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Mar 1, 2015

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
I think all in all the companion characters are pretty good in DAI, and I like that there are some I just don't mesh well with. Everyone kind of seemed to have their own things going on, and it was nice that even if you did get involved with someone, your snatch/schlong wasn't the magical cure-all it is in other Bioware games.

That said, a little thing I like about the game is that the party banter is really, really good, enough that it encourages me to try out different combinations of folks just to hear what they have to say. Sera may not be my favorite character, but her interactions with Iron Bull and Blackwall are pretty funny and endearing. Taking Cole anywhere is pretty great and gives you a lot of insight into your party's backstories and mental states. Take all three mages out at once, and Vivienne and Dorian gang up to make fun of Solas' hobo clothes. Their relationships change over the course of the game, and I like that it seems to happen independent of the PC.

I know that isn't unique to Inquisition, I just thought it was implemented well this time around. Provided, of course, that you didn't get the banter bug :v:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

When did Dragon Age Origins have a trans* joke character? I don't remember that at all.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
She was a prostitute in one of the taverns, existing solely to have a "best of both worlds" joke, ugly character model and mismatched voice. Appeared in DA2 again and instantly made everyone around her uncomfortable, including the player character.

The latter actually caused something of a small blowout on the Bioware forums. IIRC one of the writers ended up making a groveling apology in the thread.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Mar 1, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
As far as I remember the idea wasn't meant to be that people were awkward because she was trans but people got that impression because the game was meant to detect if you'd had sex with her and make things awkward if you did and fine if you didn't, but it made things awkward no matter what by accident. That seems like a reasonable mistake to me but then I'm a fan of Obsidian games so I'm more forgiving of bugs than most :v:

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010
I'm playing Mario Golf: World Tour on 3DS right now and in the Castle Club mode where you play as a Mii character, I love the Mii's reactions to when you just barely miss a putt. I haven't played the other modes but I'm hoping the same thing happens even when you're playing as one of the standard Nintendo characters.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

2house2fly posted:

the game was meant to detect if you'd had sex with her and make things awkward if you did and fine if you didn't
That doesn't strike me as strictly better, to be honest.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

My Lovely Horse posted:

That doesn't strike me as strictly better, to be honest.

Awkward because of meeting someone you'd had sex with in a social situation (I think she was the date of some noble or something?) not because of trans stuff.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It was a completely different character who would have had sex with her though.

The entire thing was a clusterfuck. :psyduck:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i'm glad you all like those little things that make games cool

In Final Fantasy XIV there's a ton of little things I enjoy:
I like the fact that earrings are visible and have physics affect them; as someone who's seen computer graphics come a long long way even silly little, and now commonplace things like that impress me.

I like the way there can be accidental interactions between things; here we see a tonberry viciously murder a fat cat. the tonberry always slices, the cat always rolls over. they line up nicely though!

And I don't usually give a crap about any fan made music videos for MMOs, but FFXIV has some really well made ones that consistently make me happy. Like this one featuring a guy named Mr. Face and set to a song by Psy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TtUBZyYJr0

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I love that the Animal Crossing games let you pick your town theme song. I make it the King of the Hill theme song every time.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Perhaps I should have clarified when I said you can't read context: What I actually meant was, your counterargument is bullshit. Not only did I literally not say that devs should "never do it because it's always awful" that's the exact opposite of the sentiment I was implying. If you actually bothered to think about what the words in my post meant instead of making some bullshit kneejerk response maybe you would've come to the realization that I appreciate gay people and so on being included in video games when it's not handled in a lovely overhanded and unrealistic way. Which it is the majority of the time. Your example of The Last of Us is an example of how it can be done well but more often than not it definitely is not that way, which sucks and undermines the message on the whole.

edit: removed the "just to fill out a checkbox" part because I am willing to contend that as an overreaction on my part. It definitely feels that way though sometimes.

That is true. I'm just wondering when it's going to stop being the former and start being the latter.

This is not a little thing in games so I'll shut up about it now but it is kind of a sore spot which is why I tried to explain myself in the first place.

I'm actually right up the same alley on LGBQTetc representation in games, because it's extremely common for games to do exactly as you say--they're including non-hetero characters in ways that seem less like intentional representation of non-hetero characters, and more as the means of "HEY THIS CHARACTER IS GAY" without putting thought into how those characters should be included. Bioware's first issue with this was the Asari, which is supposed to be "pansexual species of alien that can mate with any species" but ends up more "nerd-wet-dream always-hot blue alien babes" because they're sexualized to hell and back.

Good representation should put the focus on building good characters, which Bioware scarcely does. They get pointed to as one of the most pro-LGBQT game companies, but they suck at writing characters complex enough to include sexuality without it being the defining aspect of their personality. This is mostly based around the romance system, though. It's impossible to 1.) include characters who are non-hetero, 2.) make them romanceable as long as you're their preferred gender, and 3.) give you bonuses for doing so. At that point they're not people, they're just optional sidequests you arbitrarily lock yourself out of depending on which gender you choose in the beginning of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, the game which best handles sexuality is The Sims. You can romance male or female Sims, the main obstacle being their personality traits and how they enjoy interacting with your Sim. Sims can drift part based on incompatibility, and WooHooing is just a silly little thing you can do in a relationship that adds a positive moodlet (and opens up the opportunity to have kids).

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Along with the usual party banter in DA:I, I liked how your companions will sometimes just remark on the surrounding atmosphere. In a swampy zone, they might bitch about having to tromp through all the muck. This afternoon, I was coming up to a waterfall to grab some loot hidden past the water, and Iron Bull says "Big gushing streams. I'm starting to feel inadequate." Heh.

This also came maybe 30 seconds after a banter between Bull and Dorian which is (I am told) the last exchange between them before they start sleeping together, which made it a little more amusing to me.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

death .cab for qt posted:

Good representation should put the focus on building good characters, which Bioware scarcely does. They get pointed to as one of the most pro-LGBQT game companies, but they suck at writing characters complex enough to include sexuality without it being the defining aspect of their personality. This is mostly based around the romance system, though. It's impossible to 1.) include characters who are non-hetero, 2.) make them romanceable as long as you're their preferred gender, and 3.) give you bonuses for doing so. At that point they're not people, they're just optional sidequests you arbitrarily lock yourself out of depending on which gender you choose in the beginning of the game.

Obsidian's smartest decision was keeping romance out of Fallout: New Vegas. Your companions get to have characters and character arcs totally independent of whether they want to sleep with you. Arcade has to deal with his past as a child in the most genocide-happy organization in human history. Veronica is a tragic figure trying and failing to save the Brotherhood of Steel from itself. They're also gay, and while it's part of who they are, it doesn't become defining or even really that noticeable.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Another thing New Vegas did was let the player pick a perk which identified the player character as gay. Well, it gave you extra speech options with gay characters, which could mean you're just really manipulative and good at reading people. That perk leads to one of my favourite little things in one of the DLC, where you're talking to a character who can't speak but indicates that she was cut off from somebody important to her, and you have options like "Boyfriend? Husband?" The gay perk gives you an extra option: "Oh, girlfriend". I was disappointed when I found out it's still there without the perk, just buried a little deeper in the dialogue options.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's also a dialogue with Cass where she talks about having trouble with "soft men", and if you're a girl character with the gay perk you can say that isn't really a problem for you and she does a nervous awkward chuckle. :v:

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
There was some indie RPG out there where you had the option of picking "gay" as a character trait before the game started, which resulted in nothing changing except the sex of the prince/princess at the end of the game, which a lot of people took to the forums about. Does anybody remember this?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rogue Legacy does that. It also reverses which statue in the dungeon gives you health and which gives you mana when you break it (usually it's male gives health, female gives mana, but if your character is a gay woman it's the other way around), but other than that the character's lover in the final cutscene is all that changes.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Sometimes Always Monsters gives you the option to choose a companion ten seconds into the game, who ends up being your girlfriend/boyfriend. I didn't realize this at first and I blundered into a loving romance with a burly black dude.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

It was a completely different character who would have had sex with her though.

The entire thing was a clusterfuck. :psyduck:

It was the same game/hawke, they show up in DA2 and then again in the expansion, which is where the bugged line is at.

I have comprehensive video game prostitute knowledge.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

2house2fly posted:

Another thing New Vegas did was let the player pick a perk which identified the player character as gay. Well, it gave you extra speech options with gay characters, which could mean you're just really manipulative and good at reading people. That perk leads to one of my favourite little things in one of the DLC, where you're talking to a character who can't speak but indicates that she was cut off from somebody important to her, and you have options like "Boyfriend? Husband?" The gay perk gives you an extra option: "Oh, girlfriend". I was disappointed when I found out it's still there without the perk, just buried a little deeper in the dialogue options.
this will always be near to my heart because of the dude who flipped out at Josh Sawyer about it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sawyer's :what: expression in his icon really completes the whole thing.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Skyrim if a dead thing is currently being resurrected (say by an enemy necromancer) you can "snipe" the corpse from them by throwing your resurrection spell at it mid animation. It lead to a fun fight between me and some necromancers where I killed one of them and went to resurrect and the enemy actually threw a resurrection at it and stole it from me. I dunno if the AI knows it can do it or if it was a freak coincidence but it was pretty cool, me and the enemy "competing" for corpses.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

this will always be near to my heart because of the dude who flipped out at Josh Sawyer about it

It's come up once or twice on SA as well.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reading some of Cass' dialogue on the Fallout NV gamepedia (she has a whole lot) and haha drat you can be a real mean son of a bitch to her if you want:

(this is discussing how her caravan got raided and her family killed when you have bad karma)

the player posted:

If you made the caravan, you're responsible for killing it.

cass posted:

What did you just say to me? Cause you sure as hell got my attention now.

(and then you can immediately fire her if she's your companion which ends with:)

the player posted:

Go back West, then, see if I care.

cass posted:

Fine, I will, jackass. You can have your poo poo back, I don't need it or want it. You go your way, I'm going mine.

the player posted:

Good, go back to your famil... oh wait, they're loving dead.

cass posted:

You son of a bitch. {Beat}You know, I was just going to give you a piece of my mind and now? Now I'm going to put you down.

That's something I like about Fallout NV and 3 to a lesser extent, they let you be a real dickhead if you REALLY feel like it. It's too bad NV is bugged to hand out good karma like it's candy because with a few mods to fix that you gain access to a whole slew of options you don't get if you've in the overall green zone.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 02:58 on Mar 2, 2015

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

CJacobs posted:

Reading some of Cass' dialogue on the Fallout NV gamepedia (she has a whole lot) and haha drat you can be a real mean son of a bitch to her if you want:

That's something I like about Fallout NV and 3 to a lesser extent, they let you be a real dickhead if you REALLY feel like it. It's too bad NV is bugged to hand out good karma like it's candy because with a few mods to fix that you gain access to a whole slew of options you don't get if you've in the overall green zone.

Favorite dick moment was at the war memorial in Boulder City.

*Talk to Private at the monument.*
Private Kowalski: You here to pay your respects, too?
You: What is this memorial?
Private Kowalski: It commemorates the Battle of Hoover Dam. The rangers lured the best of Caesar's Legion into Boulder City, then blew the whole town up. The NCR still lost a bunch of troops in the fighting, though. My older brother sacrificed himself so they could evacuate some of the wounded.
*Open fire on the monument.*
Private Kowalski: What the gently caress are you doing? My brother died at the Battle of Hoover Dam. You're desecrating a war memorial.
You: You're a little bitch and your brother was, too.
Private Kowalski: Oh, now it's on.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

2house2fly posted:

Black Widow is always one of the first Fallout perks I take because it solves so many quests so quickly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

poptart_fairy posted:

She was a prostitute in one of the taverns

Did the prostitutes in DA:O have any gameplay effect? I couldn't figure out what, if anything, they were supposed to do, or why they were even in the game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tiggum posted:

Did the prostitutes in DA:O have any gameplay effect? I couldn't figure out what, if anything, they were supposed to do, or why they were even in the game.

To answer your first question:
To have sex with them.

And your second question:
To have sex with them.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Tiggum posted:

In the second game you had to pretend to gently caress a prostitute to get close to a blood mage and murder her. You pretty much had to visit the brothel and try to get it on, and one of the sex workers was a female looking elf with the stereotypical gay male voice.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Most people that played F:NV picked Confirmed Bachelor because it did more damage to the most common enemies in the game :v:

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I really fell for Fallout NV when I realized that one of the "factions" you can align yourself with is: Yourself. You can reject everyone else all the time if you want.

Like when you (Mr. House spoiler)can choose to disconnect Mr. House from his life support, he says, "Why have... you done this?... centuries of preparation... so much good... undone?"

And I was just thinking to myself, "I just hate this guy" - I blew up his robot factory, cause gently caress him.

And then the speech option at the bottom was, "I don't like you" - simple as that. And I thought it was just perfect. All the factions had some sort of sophie's choice going on with your moral compass; but I liked that I had the third option to just gently caress all of them.

I think I've posted on this before, thinking back on it, but what the hell.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

frajaq posted:

Most people that played F:NV picked Confirmed Bachelor because it did more damage to the most common enemies in the game :v:

What's great is that New Vegas doesn't care if you're gay, lesbian or straight. You can choose any combo of those perks.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

In Samurai Warriors 4, every famous officer has a special unique item (which are stronger and more versatile than the normal in-battle items, and can be used more than once per mission) that they can drop when you kill them under specific circumstances. The drop rate is really low, but every time you defeat the officer the chance of the item dropping goes up a few percent until it finally drops.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I usually do, too. Partly for additional speech options, and partly because playing as a manipulative rear end in a top hat (with a minor in hoarding) is half the fun of these games.

I like NV's approach to having sex, too. You pay the prostitute of your choice, there's a black screen, and then a "You wake up feeling Rested." It's like the DM is looking at you from across the table, going "Yeah, you totally hosed her. Can we get on with it now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Another Animal Crossing one: if you yell on the megaphone too close to a villager, they'll get mad and yell at you for being too loud.