Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah, there's an increased necessity for seat-feel in karts that's likely nearly impossible to reproduce.. even moreso on asphalt.

Went to an indoor electric track at the Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY after drinking a bunch of beers with some friends for my birthday a few months ago, and I have to say that it's a legit racing experience that's ridiculously fun.

It's the rawest driving experience I have ever had to be sure.
I didn't actually like it though really, I love suspension it turns out :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Nerdrock posted:

Yeah, there's an increased necessity for seat-feel in karts that's likely nearly impossible to reproduce.. even moreso on asphalt.

Went to an indoor electric track at the Galleria Mall in Buffalo, NY after drinking a bunch of beers with some friends for my birthday a few months ago, and I have to say that it's a legit racing experience that's ridiculously fun.

Yeah I used to go to the one in the Destiny Mall in Syracuse when I lived there up until a month ago.

Was great fun. Luckily I moved to Maine and I live a little over a mile from an indoor karting place that uses Sodi gas karts and it's just as awesome.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I was planning on going to Pole Position Raceway in NJ, but that place is expensive and they wouldn't accept my iRacing B-class license :smith:

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
Reminder for this new page: Sebring practice tonight from 7-11 pm Central (0100-0500 GMT if I've got that right)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
It's literally 46° in my basement, but I'll be there for as long as possible. I guess I need to invest in a fire suit, gloves, and helmet so I can stay warm...

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

KingShibby posted:

It's literally 46° in my basement, but I'll be there for as long as possible. I guess I need to invest in a fire suit, gloves, and helmet so I can stay warm...

skip the fire suit, get some fire

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
A roaring open fire, a fine Cognac and the touch of a beautiful woman keeps me warm.
Race my way, race the Don Boon way.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I made 29 laps on a tank in the HPD. Also 7 seconds of optional repairs from some off-tracks, oops.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So a full run is about an hour

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

If you're a Steam user you can go into My Account on iRacing and generate a Steam key to add the game to Steam

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
In the RUF:
A full tank of fuel, set to MAP 1, lasted me 33 laps with .8 left in the tank.

5 gallons on MAP 1 lasted me about 5.75 laps, just onto the back straight. 5 gallons on MAP 2 lasted me 6.4ish laps, just to the hairpin.

So, in theory, MAP 2 should last 36 laps, maybe 37 if you really want to push it.

With new tires, MAP 2 was a few seconds a lap slower than MAP 1. On 25 lap old tires (and after 3 hours of driving), my MAP 1 times had dropped to a steady 2:05.5 and MAP 2 was getting me in the 2:07 range. It looks to me like MAP 2 is the way to go until you're low on fuel and can make up a second or two - if you've got half a lap more fuel than you need to make it back around to the pits. MAP 2 should definitely be the way to go if others get similar results. Or, we could not bother much with mapping because we'll need to pit for repairs after 25 laps anyway :v:

I was using this setup and it sounded to me like a workable neutral setup. I changed ABS to 4, TCS to 2 and engine map to 2 and I think I'm done messing with it.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Well, hope you all had fun (except blk98gt because he's a jerk and beat me :mad:), results are here: http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=13158047 I recognize a few goon names, but for the most part I'm not sure how many goons we had vs. how many pubbies.

I got my optimal down to a 47.4 but couldn't put together a clean lap and then just started crashing a ton. Looks like when I was in race trim, my best was a 51.2. I made that first full stint at about 55 minutes or so, so the 1 hour slot is probably close enough. I didn't think to play with the different fuel settings like CaseFace though, so apparently I've got beat not just on speed but also on srs bsns :v:

Anyway, if you've got any feedback as far as the session was setup or its time or anything, let me know since I'll probably do another one of these as we get closer to the race. I'd have liked it if there was a way to have the GT3 cars in a class so they'd show up different on the F3 screen, but I think my only option was everything in one class or everything in its own (which would probably have been better, anyway).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did one lap. Beat Overwined. Not gonna lie, that feels like a win.

2015 Season 2 schedule is out. Subject to change, but early thoughts.
- Monza is HEAVILY featured, including showing up twice in the Lotus 49 schedule. It'll also be run by the Trucks and the A Car.
- Spa, a mainstay of practically every C and above road series, is very underutilized. I see it twice - GT3 and WSCS.
- Of the series I checked, not appearing at all: Zandvoort, Daytona Road, Homestead. Ouch.
- Oxford Plains continues to exist.
- Virginia International Raceway and Oran Park seeing a bit more use this season, always a good thing.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 28, 2015

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Lord Crapulus posted:

Well, hope you all had fun (except blk98gt because he's a jerk and beat me :mad:), results are here: http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/EventResult.do?&subsessionid=13158047 I recognize a few goon names, but for the most part I'm not sure how many goons we had vs. how many pubbies.

I got my optimal down to a 47.4 but couldn't put together a clean lap and then just started crashing a ton. Looks like when I was in race trim, my best was a 51.2. I made that first full stint at about 55 minutes or so, so the 1 hour slot is probably close enough. I didn't think to play with the different fuel settings like CaseFace though, so apparently I've got beat not just on speed but also on srs bsns :v:

I did nothing to my chassis setup besides loading in that link, with no qualy trim or any of that :effort: nonsense. I needed to do something during that four hours besides dodging pubbies...

I'm just glad I made it through a full tank without damaging my car :black101:

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
4th in GT3 on full tanks. Good times. Now, we only need a BMW team :)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

dsriggs posted:

Lol we should do it between us in the BMW. 12 hours, midnight to midday, no sleep. What could go wrong?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Is there an official rundown of the configurations available for Monza anywhere?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

This thread is the best that I've found.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
My takeaway from last night is that I can probably run 2:05s at will but if I don't have anything to stop me I'll just spend my time crashing trying to knock seconds off my best lap every time. Hopefully "this is a 12 hour race you idiot calm down" will be enough to stop me, then.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I plan on cranking up the ABS and TCS during the race, especially once I get a few laps on the tires. No sense in trying to ride a sick four wheel drift around the final corner when there are nine hours remaining.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can throw in some maintenance laps in the HPD I guess. I doubt I can compete with anyone, but I should be able to keep it on the track at a decent pace. The only time I was crashing was when I was trying to make a faster time or when I was trying to give people boosts which they didn't seem to like.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Unless they make changes to their damage and repair method, the biggest lesson we can take away from the 24 is that pace doesn't really matter compared to keeping the car clean.

I might try dicking around with one of the GT3 cars at some point too, I've never driven any of them before so it could be interesting.

e: Okay I tried the RUF, and you guys should be ashamed of yourselves. A racecar with sumptuous leather interior? Clearly a car for gentlemen. Anyway, I used the setup here: http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/25/3265831.page#8261382 and got down to low 2:03s (opt low 2:02) in my first 3 laps in the car, so I'm thinking it's a solid setup. It does however fail tech and only has 1/2 tank or so of fuel. The only change I made was to bump the rear spring perch offsets up to 1.750" to make it pass tech. Something to look at if you opulent types haven't decided on a setup yet.

Lord Crapulus fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 28, 2015

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Yeah the name of the game is to just survive plain and simple. Don't want to lose any aero pieces.

At my best and stable during my brief practice I got a 2:05 in the RUF. I feel that's pretty good. However I'm going to focus on avoiding some of the kerbs and finding the right amount of control and throttle to avoid spin outs.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

dsriggs posted:

I'll drop from HPD to do a BMW.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did one lap. Beat Overwined. Not gonna lie, that feels like a win.

Look guys, stop gunning for me. You'll never catch me because I'm stuck in the pits.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

advion posted:

I'll drop from HPD to do a BMW.

We should be careful. Right now we have a full HPD team and an almost full RUF team. Hopefully we can support 3 teams, but it's better to field 2 full teams than 3 incomplete ones.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

Overwined posted:

We should be careful. Right now we have a full HPD team and an almost full RUF team. Hopefully we can support 3 teams, but it's better to field 2 full teams than 3 incomplete ones.

I'm gonna stay signed up for the HPD but just expressing my interest in dropping to BMW if we do happen to get enough people between now and the race.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Anyone doing the last hour of the RUF team slot?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

There's a place to sign up?

advion
Jul 25, 2005

advion posted:

Alright HPD Gents it's getting close to practice time for Sebring so before we do the session tomorrow I thought I would post a race setup from the guy who did the Daytona setup we used.

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/200/3255180.page#8632508

We should put some laps in with it tomorrow and see how we all like it and if we need to make changes.

If that link doesn't take you directly to his post it's a post by Allan Paterson and the setup names are AGP LDF Sebring S1 15 R.sto and AGP LDF Sebring S1 15 Qv2.sto

As a reminder here is the time sheet for Sebring and if you haven't signed yourself up go ahead and do that. Don't worry so much about what stints at the moment.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1v5Agcsb9Ik31WfDfnpzJgjkyVBMeUobfjVdRBqkkg5g&authuser=0

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I came third tonight!
Not much I know but a small victory for me :)

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

A victory for me is bringing the car in across the line in one piece!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ringo Star Get posted:

A victory for me is bringing the car in across the line in one piece!

I hear you man, I was happy with my consistency tonight which is a big thing.
I am far from perfect on some corners but getting better.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Overwined posted:

I was more joking based on the fact that we both live in the same city and the race runs from like 11:30 pm -> 11:30 am for us so we'd be doing it without sleep.

But I wouldn't actually do it because dsriggs is actually quite good so I wouldn't want to wreck his mojo.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

LordPants posted:

dsriggs is actually quite good so I wouldn't want to wreck his mojo.

What is THIS nonsense? :psyduck:

But yeah, running at 4am doesn't seem like much of a good idea.

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Can I get an invite to the goon groups? Duncan McFarlane in ye olde iRacing. :v:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Are there any other decent wheel options that aren't >$200?

The G27 looks awesome, but drat. That's some pretty serious $$$.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

I used a Driving Force GT for a long time, they can sometimes be found for around $100. I'm using a G27 now and it's much better though.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Nerdrock posted:

We're getting an electric track here in the spring, and this makes me even more excited for it. Can't wait to a true hero.

Also the Driving Force GT will do you just fine, it's not the best, but it gets the job done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

I am currently using a DFGT that I got for around $130. It's definitely miles better than a controller. The wheel itself is pretty good, but the pedals suck rear end and it has no clutch or H-shifter.

The G27 runs about $100 more so I'm probably going to save up for one. If you think the G27 is "serious $$$" you should look at some of the other wheels on the market. That's just the wheel base and it doesn't include an actual steering wheel ($250 and up), shifter ($200 and up), or pedals ($250 and up). Keep in mind all of this is considered by Fanatec the "broad audience" equipment. So, just to get all the stuff you get with the G27, you'd have to spend at least $1200. There are wheels and rigs out there that are MUCH more expensive. When you factor in things like seats, stands, triple monitors and other frippery like e-brakes (why would anyone buy that?), many people have spent $5000 or more.

Anyway, my point is this can be a very expensive hobby, but it doesn't really have to be. I have invested a lot of the money I would have invested in a G27 or better and spent it on iRacing content and I think that served me just fine. I will certainly be upgrading someday, but I'm a lovely driver so I don't need fancy equipment. Final analysis is that you're probably a lovely driver too, so maybe look into a DFGT (it's simply the best <$200 wheel out there) and maybe step into something else if you even end up liking it.

EDIT: The G27 seems like the best value in wheels out there considering all it comes with and the fact that it's moddable to be even better.

Overwined fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 1, 2015

• Locked thread