Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Soylentbits posted:

Has anybody else seen an ad for a Tower of God web cartoon?

It's not actually an ad for a cartoon, it's just an add for the webcomic that they made animated scenes of certain comic scenes for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Brought To You By posted:

Is it bad that in a series like ToG I find having two right hands to be the weirdest thing I've seen?

Quite the opposite, that just shows how well made and immersive it usually is.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

KittyEmpress posted:

It's not actually an ad for a cartoon, it's just an add for the webcomic that they made animated scenes of certain comic scenes for.

Boo. That's crazy disappointing.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.

final2percent posted:

Yura Ha's true secret power is having two right hands.

In my mind this is now a JoJo's crossover, bring on the stands!

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Bump, been awhile since this thread had some life despite the constant chapters. The last couple months have just been Baam falling into trap after trap due to amazing naivete.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

The pace just seems to have ground to a halt. Compare this to the pacing of the initial tests, where multiple fights would start and resolve in just a couple chapters. How many times have we seen people fight the drat illusionary guardian over the past several weeks?!

khy
Aug 15, 2005

final2percent posted:

The pace just seems to have ground to a halt. Compare this to the pacing of the initial tests, where multiple fights would start and resolve in just a couple chapters. How many times have we seen people fight the drat illusionary guardian over the past several weeks?!

I dunno, seems pretty typical of SIU to me.

Some fights are over in seconds, others take two months to resolve.

Personally I'm rather happy finding out that Baam's shinsu copying ability also extends to martial arts, so he's able to become a grand master of every martial art ever just by watching and getting beaten up

Between all the skills he's learned climbing the tower, fighting the rankers, fighting FUG, collecting the thorn, and now this added on... my guess is once he reaches the train (Which is a foregone conclusion that he will) he's going to activate the thorn and become a godlike shinsu/kung fu rear end kicking machine

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

I miss the weird games. The crazyball game lasted for like 3 chapters before comic went back to straight up fights.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

khy posted:

I dunno, seems pretty typical of SIU to me.

Some fights are over in seconds, others take two months to resolve.

Personally I'm rather happy finding out that Baam's shinsu copying ability also extends to martial arts, so he's able to become a grand master of every martial art ever just by watching and getting beaten up

Between all the skills he's learned climbing the tower, fighting the rankers, fighting FUG, collecting the thorn, and now this added on... my guess is once he reaches the train (Which is a foregone conclusion that he will) he's going to activate the thorn and become a godlike shinsu/kung fu rear end kicking machine

Keep in mind that Baam learned literally everything he knows from Rachel over the course of a few years, and he came out of it as a relatively well adjusted human being. Most kids who grow up in complete isolation end up with severe developmental disabilities even after they are rescued. Either Rachel was a really good teacher, or Baam's super-learning applies to any subject.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Sleepy Owl posted:

I miss the weird games. The crazyball game lasted for like 3 chapters before comic went back to straight up fights.

It's probably really hard to design some crazy game for every situation and ya gotta have some fights.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Sleepy Owl posted:

Yeah, this has been my major complaint about recent stuff. I like that the games do appear to get more dangerous in a sick kind of way the higher they go--it's almost approaching the "that's just cruel" level of Baam's special 1st floor test--but I feel like SIU still kind of feels down about games since people always complain about not understanding the rules. So instead we've been getting shounen fight scenes with really simple panels.

It doesn't help that the mirotic guardian, daniel and new angel girl all have boring designs/attacks compared to all previous big enemies. To me just seeing the freaky inventories full of "what even is that" weapons is what made some of the past fights, even the ones that were largely off-screened. So far we've seen none of that and, in fact, almost nothing in the way of unique attacks compared to say the Love fight back on 20th floor. In terms of attire, the new enemies just have brown robes as well. Boring to look at in what was usually a beautifully colorful manwha full of interesting designs. Some of the fight panels are okay, but most of them that contain shinsou attacks have devolved into giant single-coloured swathes compared to Baam first showing off his whateverwhateverdestructionwhatevertechnique or Yiwha's stuff.

It's still a good manwha overall, but haven't been as excited about it as I was this time last year. Mostly looking forward to Boro doing stuff/seeing more full fight scenes with him since he doesn't appear to use much shinsou and his panels are generally nice and clean.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Honestly, I have no idea what's going on anymore in this series. I've recently re-read it just to make sure I didn't forget something and it still doesn't make any sense. They keep time-skipping and introducing new characters with barely comprehensible motivations and the nebulous goal of "reach the top of the tower" doesn't seem to have any landmarks or signs of progress along the way. Well, I mean, the floor they're on gets higher occasionally but it feels like the characters don't really have any agency and are only climbing because the story demands they do so.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
New chapter: http://www.webtoons.com/viewer?titleNo=95&episodeNo=220

I was wondering where the season 2 team characters were :haw:.

organism posted:

... it feels like the characters don't really have any agency and are only climbing because the story demands they do so.

From day one, that's been the only reason we see any of these characters. All of them are there to climb the tower.

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism

Hirethor posted:

From day one, that's been the only reason we see any of these characters. All of them are there to climb the tower.

Yes, but why? I have no idea what any of them are trying to achieve. In the beginning, Baam was the readers' perspective and he was only climbing to chase Rachel, not because he cared about the tower for its own sake. So we, the audience, had as little expectation and experience with the tower as him. Everything was mysterious and we spent more time with a smaller cast of characters. In any of these shounen-type fighting competitions, there's usually a prize that all the characters want. Through the course of the tournament or whatever, you find out this contestant wants to regain the honor of their clan or that contestant will use the prize money to pay hospital bills for their sick aunt. Something. I don't know why any character in this wants to reach the top of the tower. I was just hoping there would be at least some direction or goal or progress by now.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

organism posted:

Yes, but why? I have no idea what any of them are trying to achieve. In the beginning, Baam was the readers' perspective and he was only climbing to chase Rachel, not because he cared about the tower for its own sake. So we, the audience, had as little expectation and experience with the tower as him. Everything was mysterious and we spent more time with a smaller cast of characters. In any of these shounen-type fighting competitions, there's usually a prize that all the characters want. Through the course of the tournament or whatever, you find out this contestant wants to regain the honor of their clan or that contestant will use the prize money to pay hospital bills for their sick aunt. Something. I don't know why any character in this wants to reach the top of the tower. I was just hoping there would be at least some direction or goal or progress by now.

Getting to the top of the tower gets you status, riches, fame, power, all those kinda things. I don't really see why they need a complex motivation when greed can do the job.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
To add to that living in the tower in most places is generally extremely lovely.

I can only hope the absolutely horrible pacing is him using a bunch of fights to allow him to plan out more of the games that let them go up the tower

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

To add to that living in the tower in most places is generally extremely lovely.

I can only hope the absolutely horrible pacing is him using a bunch of fights to allow him to plan out more of the games that let them go up the tower

And even still you find tons of regulars who realize they're not good enough to climb the tower and stop and settle down for whatever reason.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
From what I understand, there's really two meanings of "Climbing to the Top of the Tower" in this world.

One is where they really mean "Climbing up to where all of the high rankers have reached". Since status in society is determined based on your ranking (either classification within regulars or number as a ranker), the motivations to do so are easy to understand and widespread. It's like completing another level of education moving into a fancier neighborhood, or getting that job promotion.

The other meaning is more literal, in that they want to reach the actual top of the tower. It seems nobody knows for sure what's at the top, but many believe a number of things such as enlightenment, getting wishes granted, etc. Rachel told Baam she wants to see the stars (but I suppose that could have been a nice lie). Anyone who believes something profound is at the top won't need much more motivation than that.

That being said, I do wish they would say more about character motivations. The explanation isn't needed but would be welcomed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Its worth remembering that the top of the tower that rankers get to isn't actually the true top of the tower, just as far as the guardians were friendly. Baam being an irregular with the thorn could mean the story will involve everything above what the rankers get to

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jose posted:

Its worth remembering that the top of the tower that rankers get to isn't actually the true top of the tower, just as far as the guardians were friendly. Baam being an irregular with the thorn could mean the story will involve everything above what the rankers get to

Is that stated somewhere in the story because I genuinely thought that "Ranker = someone who's been to the very top". That's why when certain rankers (Baseball boy, that one easily-provoked tester from way back when) seem comparatively weak it didn't make much sense to me.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty certain that early on in part 1 they explicitly say that no one has ever been to the top.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

khy posted:

Is that stated somewhere in the story because I genuinely thought that "Ranker = someone who's been to the very top". That's why when certain rankers (Baseball boy, that one easily-provoked tester from way back when) seem comparatively weak it didn't make much sense to me.

The difference in strength is easy enough, its just the difference between someone who barely succeeded in climbing the tower and someone who never had any trouble. I'm not sure its ever been explicitly stated in the chapters, but they used to/do have a bunch of info text that came after chapters that wasn't always translated

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I hope eventually we get to learn more about Bam and Rachel pre-tower. Is there a world underground that Bam and Rachel were a part of before they entered the tower? Urek (I think he's the one) says that the world outside the tower is huge and vast, so presumably Bam and Rachel being irregulars are from that world outside the tower, but we know Bam and Rachel were likely living underground with the whole "I want to see the sky and the stars" and whatnot.

Jose posted:

The difference in strength is easy enough, its just the difference between someone who barely succeeded in climbing the tower and someone who never had any trouble. I'm not sure its ever been explicitly stated in the chapters, but they used to/do have a bunch of info text that came after chapters that wasn't always translated

I guess so, but even then it seems like some rankers are too weak compared to others. Some people I honestly wonder how they could have ever become a ranker in the first place.

khy fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 2, 2015

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

khy posted:

I hope eventually we get to learn more about Bam and Rachel pre-tower. Is there a world underground that Bam and Rachel were a part of before they entered the tower? Urek (I think he's the one) says that the world outside the tower is huge and vast, so presumably Bam and Rachel being irregulars are from that world outside the tower, but we know Bam and Rachel were likely living underground with the whole "I want to see the sky and the stars" and whatnot.

I guess so, but even then it seems like some rankers are too weak compared to others. Some people I honestly wonder how they could have ever become a ranker in the first place.

I'm assuming that the crappy rankers managed it by having connections, or maybe they just haven't actually practiced for decades and got really, really rusty. I think someone's ability to use shinsoo on a floor is decided by the floor guardian too, so if you run into someone who's not on good terms with the guardian of the floor you're currently on their performance might suck just because of that. Rachel is managing to climb the tower and we've seen zero indication that she's actually of any use in the fight and is basically climbing by convincing others to drag her along for the ride.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Slime posted:

I'm assuming that the crappy rankers managed it by having connections, or maybe they just haven't actually practiced for decades and got really, really rusty. I think someone's ability to use shinsoo on a floor is decided by the floor guardian too, so if you run into someone who's not on good terms with the guardian of the floor you're currently on their performance might suck just because of that. Rachel is managing to climb the tower and we've seen zero indication that she's actually of any use in the fight and is basically climbing by convincing others to drag her along for the ride.

Okay, now that is an excellent point and one I hadn't considered. I wonder how many rankers there are out there with terrible power but good connections and fame and the like.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

khy posted:

Okay, now that is an excellent point and one I hadn't considered. I wonder how many rankers there are out there with terrible power but good connections and fame and the like.

The thing that makes the least sense is how many weak people somehow make it to any given floor, given how difficult the tests on each of the previous floors are (and have to be, to make things interesting for the protagonists). They sidestep the issue somewhat, with making everyone immortal, but the population dynamics between the floors really doesn't make a lot of sense.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

khy posted:

Back when they were explaining how each floor has a guardian and you've got to make a contract with it they mentioned that Zahard had climed the highest out of everyone. However there were levels above where he reached where the guardians weren't having any of his bullshit. It's only because he went and opened up a path that anyone is even able to climb the floors and interact with the guardians. Not even irregulars have surpassed him.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Gyges posted:

Back when they were explaining how each floor has a guardian and you've got to make a contract with it they mentioned that Zahard had climed the highest out of everyone. However there were levels above where he reached where the guardians weren't having any of his bullshit. It's only because he went and opened up a path that anyone is even able to climb the floors and interact with the guardians. Not even irregulars have surpassed him.

One thing ToG DOES do very well is having interesting fights with super strong antagonists while still keeping lots of super strong people in the wing. A lot of other "shounen" fighting series do this very poorly, where they always have to be fighting "the strongest" enemy, and then the next enemy has to come out of nowhere and be stronger for arbitrary reasons etc. We hear a lot about Zahard, the families, the princesses, the other irregulars etc, so we know other strong potential enemies exist. But not having them appear constantly, or having the protagonists beat these people easily, makes the world feel "larger", I guess.

It's a lot like HxH, in that way (and a lot of other ways also).

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-142/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=223

Exciting chapter imo Baam show a new ability (seems more related to Irregular abilities than some skill he learned/copied) and more of the gang has shown up.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Hirethor posted:

Baam show a new ability (seems more related to Irregular abilities than some skill he learned/copied).

Not "new", exactly; this seems like a call aaaall the way back to the Crown Game, when Baam took out Hwa Ryun's eye- see the comment about the Shinsoo seeming "alive".

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
I have to say it, but this arc has been really boring so far. It just seems like Baam should be a lot more powerful than he is and none of the fights have done much more than exchange a couple blows and then run away.

I really hope the payoff is spectacular.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?

Autonomous Monster posted:

Not "new", exactly; this seems like a call aaaall the way back to the Crown Game, when Baam took out Hwa Ryun's eye- see the comment about the Shinsoo seeming "alive".

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but this is the first time he's shown doing something like that on purpose.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Hirethor posted:

Yeah, that's what I thought too, but this is the first time he's shown doing something like that on purpose.

Didn't he just copy Daniels necromancer thingo, they also described that as the Shinsoo being "alive", which is why Daniel gets all sad face.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

Reiche posted:

I have to say it, but this arc has been really boring so far. It just seems like Baam should be a lot more powerful than he is and none of the fights have done much more than exchange a couple blows and then run away.

I really hope the payoff is spectacular.

The "reunion" that's happening right now should liven things a bit hopefully, but yeah I agree, suuuper boring stuff.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

http://mangafox.me/manga/tower_of_god/v02/c143/1.html

Well the new chapter introduced some more mysteries without really answering a whole lot

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Bernardo Orel posted:

The "reunion" that's happening right now should liven things a bit hopefully, but yeah I agree, suuuper boring stuff.

Baam struggling against rankers is one thing but all the previous irregulars have made short work of the tower and he should really be much stronger than the regulars

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jose posted:

Baam struggling against rankers is one thing but all the previous irregulars have made short work of the tower and he should really be much stronger than the regulars

Well the way I see it, Baam started the series as a blank slate, whereas all the previous irregulars have been highly developed. He probably will be that strong by the end, but he didn't start out there.

Also I picked a good time to catch up again. Hi Koon :stare:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Koon is without a doubt hands down the best character of the series.

He really knows how to hit Rachel where it hurts the most.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that everyone just humors Baam's quest to find Rachel. Sure thing buddy, we'll help you find that lying sociopath who we despise with all our being so you can ask some questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Gyges posted:

I do like that everyone just humors Baam's quest to find Rachel. Sure thing buddy, we'll help you find that lying sociopath who we despise with all our being so you can ask some questions.

And that's exactly why Koon wants to find her without Baam.