Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a much better sense of scale than I was getting off the other pictures, I assumed it was a lot bigger than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a much better sense of scale than I was getting off the other pictures, I assumed it was a lot bigger than that.

Well, the keyboard is pretty small.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm using my Pi for a weather station (http://desmoduck.com/py-weather/) that extracts data over a Vantage 2 diagnostic serial port and as a MySQL server for a web crawler that I wrote... after letting the thing sit at a higher MySQL load than normal (~80-100% - 110k queries) for about ~4-6hr it crashed and didn't come back up on its own and I had to power cycle it. What happened here? Do I need a heatsink on the CPU?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 3, 2015

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Raspberry Pis tend to be pretty unreliable and that sounds normal to me.

Some people have wired external resets.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm using my Pi for a weather station (http://desmoduck.com/py-weather/) that extracts data over a Vantage 2 diagnostic serial port and as a MySQL server for a web crawler that I wrote... after letting the thing sit at a higher MySQL load than normal (~80-100% - 110k queries) for about ~4-6hr it crashed and didn't come back up on its own and I had to power cycle it. What happened here? Do I need a heatsink on the CPU?

Man, we need more info on this. Very awesome. Currently I have a PI with SainSmart BMP085 Module Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor and USPROŽ DHT22/AM2302 Digital Temperature and Humidity sensor writing back to a MS Sql server. Keeps a watch on my server closet's temp/humid and the barometric sensor pulls BP and the ambient temp in my attic. I'd love it to do more weather wise, but I can't really find any good information on wind speed/direction.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I've been having a rough time getting a case for my Pi2. Two weeks ago I ordered a Pibow Timber with the Pi2 from MCM. At the time it didn't show as being back-ordered, but when I didn't receive the case with the rest of the order, I checked again on their website and this time it said it was back-ordered 3 months. I emailed them about it but so far no response.

I found this real classy wood case on Etsy which was almost half the price and looked way cooler so I ordered that. Got the package in the mail yesterday and it was the wrong case. Etsy guy was real cool about it and he's going to mail me the one I ordered as well as let me keep the one that was sent on accident. So now I'm gonna have 3 cases and 1 Pi. Guess I'll need to order more Pis. Oh well.

Should I just get all Pi2 or is there any reason to choose the B+ over the 2B?

While I wait for the wood case in the mail, I slapped together the acrylic case I got. Looks pretty snazzy, is super sturdy, and fits great too. My friend has the wood case that I ordered and he too speaks highly of it. This guy makes great cases.

This is the red zebra case by C4Labs.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Lacrosse posted:

Should I just get all Pi2 or is there any reason to choose the B+ over the 2B?

No, the old ones are purely for supporting customers that prefer not to upgrade. There is no reason to get the B+

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you need to use MySQL?

After fighting with the terrible software that came with my temperature probes I decided to try to make my own temperature software and run it on one of my B+ units. I started making the tables in MySQL to hold all the fields (timestamp, temp, unit(F/C), humidity, etc) - then I started thinking that maybe using MySQL might not be the best thing for the Pi if I wanted to make sure that it stayed quick and responsive to the actual logging and web requests.

So, I went with CSV and flatfile. Bad idea? I have no clue. I'll know if/when poo poo starts to break. I just figured that it would be a bit lighter on the resources.

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa
I was getting ready to do some debugging on my ownCloud server running on my B+ and noticed my reported free space shrank a gig. I'm aware my apache2 server is not nearly optimized enough yet so I went to open the error log to start knocking down some of the errors I'm getting. Lo and behold, I had two error log files which accumulated in the past week. Each one was 300MB(!) and I'm pretty certain there's more somewhere since my USB drive started with 14gb free space and is now down to 11gb.

600MB of error logs is a scary thing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dobermaniac posted:

Man, we need more info on this. Very awesome. Currently I have a PI with SainSmart BMP085 Module Digital Barometric Pressure Sensor and USPROŽ DHT22/AM2302 Digital Temperature and Humidity sensor writing back to a MS Sql server. Keeps a watch on my server closet's temp/humid and the barometric sensor pulls BP and the ambient temp in my attic. I'd love it to do more weather wise, but I can't really find any good information on wind speed/direction.
Someone I live with has one of these on the roof - http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06152
I figured out that the console has a diagnostic port on the back and did some research. 3.3v serial connection on the RPi and some python later... :) I just don't know what to graph off of it so I stuck to temp/humidity/barometer.

Xenomorph posted:

Do you need to use MySQL?

After fighting with the terrible software that came with my temperature probes I decided to try to make my own temperature software and run it on one of my B+ units. I started making the tables in MySQL to hold all the fields (timestamp, temp, unit(F/C), humidity, etc) - then I started thinking that maybe using MySQL might not be the best thing for the Pi if I wanted to make sure that it stayed quick and responsive to the actual logging and web requests.

So, I went with CSV and flatfile. Bad idea? I have no clue. I'll know if/when poo poo starts to break. I just figured that it would be a bit lighter on the resources.

I'm not using MySQL for the temperature info, just for my crawler database. :) The DB is sitting at 50mb in MySQL now.

ante posted:

Raspberry Pis tend to be pretty unreliable and that sounds normal to me.

Some people have wired external resets.
Fair enough, I'll just have to keep a closer eye on it from now on.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I have some temp probes gathering data, and I can view and graph it.

I figured "why not have the temperature from outside, as well?". I'm out of probes (for now), so I grabbed NOAA data for my location. They provide XML files which I parse and log just as easily as the data from my probes...

...except that NOAA only updates their data every 60 minutes or so.

Are there any sources of weather/temp information out there that update more frequently than every 60 minutes?

For those that are doing temperature monitoring, do you just put a probe outside, as well?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
A lot of these Wall wart power supplies are pretty much the most terrible bottom-rung china crap you can put together without having everything catch on fire immediately, so I wouldn't directly blame the Pi. Even power supplies that claim to be "stabilized" (and that should be the minimum for something like a Pi, power supplies which are for recharging things like most smartphone supplies are are usually not adequate as there voltage stability is not such a big and important factor) are often pretty terrible. Hard to find a good power supply, and it can be difficult to counter a lovely power supply, depending on what the requirements are. It can be helpful sometimes to make the power supply cable as short as possible, easy to do with a little soldering.

I had a Pi when the hype was at it's height, one of the early 512 MB models. Even though I didn't go in expecting a lot, I still was pretty disappointed at the rather terrible performance. Now the market is swamped and the Pi 2 is out and I don't know what's what anymore. What is the best device to buy right now in the price range of about ~50$. (or a bit more?) I mostly just want a Linux I can have running 24/7 without wrecking my power bill and can ssh/telnet (via serial) into to run some console applications and database things of varying complexity. I don't really expect any advanced desktop or multimedia performance and just want as much processing power as possible for little cost. Or is it still not worth it to do anything with cheap ARM SBCs in that regard?

Police Automaton fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 5, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I don't know the answer, but I can say that the Odroid-C1 is kind of half-rear end. It is roughly as powerful as the Pi 2, but the support is lacking, and there are design choices that make the Pi 2 a better choice for tinkering. Here are my problems with it so far:

The Android port is pretty much useless, because of very limited Wifi dongle support.
The microSD port is on the bottom, inaccessible when the board is mounted in a case, so OS experimentation requires disassembly.
The only commercially available case available sucks.
The only 3D printable case on Thingiverse is a piece of poo poo that won't stay together and lacks a hole for the IR receiver.
The Ubuntu distro requires that you modify the config files if you want display output to a DVI monitor, which makes it difficult to alternate between connecting the device to my monitor and my TV.
Rasplex does not work. Plex for Android MIGHT work, but with no Wifi, it doesn't really matter.
The power connector is poorly designed and comes unplugged VERY easily.
Requires a microHDMI to HDMI cable, which is not exactly ubiquitous. Apparently the device is quite picky about the quality of the cable (cheaper cables have ungrounded pins?)

The stuff I like:
Better wired ethernet performance than Pi 2 (gigabit), for whatever that's worth.
Fast enough to do real some real PC stuff on, in particular, web browsing does not make me want to kill someone.
Runs Kodi a million times better than my 256MB Pi A+, and Kodi is installed by default.
Includes an IR receiver. I have no idea how well this works, though.
eMMC support means quicker storage is an option, though I boot mine from a microSD card.

If the Android port improves, it could be a neat little device. I suspect that a really kick rear end Android port for Pi 2 will emerge long before anything like that happens.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.
Just got a raspberry pi 2 - the CPU is faster but I have to say that for what I've tried so far it definately doesn't feel like as much of an upgrade as you'd think.

The problem is that the the real performance bottlenecks are unchanged - everything is still on a single USB2 bus and the sdcard interface feels every bit as slow (no it's not my card - I'm using a sandisk extreme pro which has about as good random read/write as you can get). It being armv7 does open you up to more operating systems but then it's the closed source video driver that's in your way. If you want a snappy UI raspian still runs best (despite not being built for armv7) because it's been tweaked around the raspberry pi's shortcomings.

It's probably a fair upgrade for anyone using openelec on it - not that it's any more capable of playing actual video (so don't bother if you are just playing files off network shares like me) but if you are using lots of plugins or trying to run torrents in background I could see the CPU making a difference.

PBCrunch posted:

I suspect that a really kick rear end Android port for Pi 2 will emerge long before anything like that happens.
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath for that, they recently closed the android thread on the official forums "due to the repetitive questions on this forum taking up valuable moderator time with little or no benefit to the community". There is no proper android video driver and there probably never will be - android needs a video accelerated UI and you don't really get that even in linux (hence no unity in the ubuntu image for raspberry pi 2).

It would probably be not too difficult to get wifi going in android on the odroid - I've read about people using wifi dongles with their actual android phone to use things like aircrack-ng - that community is probably bigger than odroid's so maybe see how they did it.

By the way, what's the video driver situation like with the odroid? Are you able to do things like watch youtube in a browser?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Fuzz1111 posted:

By the way, what's the video driver situation like with the odroid? Are you able to do things like watch youtube in a browser?
You can play Youtube videos in a browser on the C1 in standard definition in the standard size, it gets stuttery if you try to watch an SD video full screen. Youtube HD video playback is unwatchable.

I get the feeling with the C1 that development will completely stop when Odroid releases their next model, where Pi 2 development will continue until the end of western civilization.

I should add that not only is the microSD location on the C1 bad for tinkering, it is very fiddly to insert cards, and the card is only held in by friction. The click-click mechanism on the newer Pi's is much better.

How is RasPlex on Pi 2?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

PBCrunch posted:

I get the feeling with the C1 that development will completely stop when Odroid releases their next model, where Pi 2 development will continue until the end of western civilization.

Pretty much this. Pi 2 is "good enough", may someday run a variant of windows (pending), and has outsold the odroid and banana pi combined 10 to 1, it's already reached arduino status. That extended long term support is a big deal going down the road. Most everything written today will still run on the original model A.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Didn't Broadcom release the code for the GPU? I could've sworn there was a hubbub and a contest for someone to develop a driver that allowed video acceleration. What's stopping them from doing an Open Source driver to get Android running. That sounds like the perfect project to cut your teeth on as a learning experience if that was your thing.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

PBCrunch posted:

I should add that not only is the microSD location on the C1 bad for tinkering, it is very fiddly to insert cards, and the card is only held in by friction. The click-click mechanism on the newer Pi's is much better.
Raspberry Pi B+ / 2 only hold the microsd with friction too, the push mech doesn't lock the card in or anything it's just to make it easier to remove the card but you can easily just pull it out instead (BeagleBone Black is the same). To be honest as someone who doesn't use a case, I'd rather the micro sd was a bit more out of the way because I've managed to eject the microsd card by accident more than once (usually when pushing things into the USB ports on the other side).

Projects specifically targeted to it is a strong point for the pi, no doubt, thing is though that until the 2 came out a lot more work was needed to target it than it's armv7 competitors. Going forward I'm wondering if ensuring backward compatibility with the low end devices might hurt the better ones (they've already stated that they may not release an armv7 version of raspbian for rpi2).

I haven't tried rasplex or openelec yet.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

YouTuber posted:

Didn't Broadcom release the code for the GPU? I could've sworn there was a hubbub and a contest for someone to develop a driver that allowed video acceleration. What's stopping them from doing an Open Source driver to get Android running. That sounds like the perfect project to cut your teeth on as a learning experience if that was your thing.

I thought it was that the GPU hardware had been reverse engineered, and people had written compilers targeting it.

Edit: It was both: I think the GPU was actually reverse-engineered, but the GPU driver was made Open Source so interfacing with the GPU from pretty much anything should be feasible.

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 6, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PBCrunch posted:

You can play Youtube videos in a browser on the C1 in standard definition in the standard size, it gets stuttery if you try to watch an SD video full screen. Youtube HD video playback is unwatchable.

How is RasPlex on Pi 2?

Yuck, I standby my opinion that anyone using these boards for media players etc would be better off getting a little atom box / Intel stick, and having a full suite of drivers, software, acceleration etc.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I find my RaspB to be pretty pokey for anything other than XBMC (KODI!). I use a chromecast for everything else except for Prime video which my TV happens to be capable of making GBS threads out.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Just picked up a Pi 2 last weekend, my first one and my first time working with linux. I put piaware on it which is pretty much raspbian with the ADS-B software. I also attached a USB hard drive to use for network storage. I was able to get the drive shared and working with my windows computers, but it is spinning 24/7 and never goes idle. I read one thing last night that said raspbian doesn't have the power management kernel built in, but you can still do it with udisk and hdparm (sdparm?) but nothing is working so far. I tried sudo hdparm -S 10 /dev/sda1 and it says "failed: invalid argument". Like I said, I'm very new to linux and the linux commands. Does anyone have any insight into this?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Sda1 is a singular partition. Shouldn't it be for the entire drive? So /dev/sda

Also do you want it shut down in 50 seconds? Wouldn't something like 2 minutes be more preferable?

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 6, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was never able to get USB spin down to work normally in Unix using Centos or Ubuntu in 2012, I don't think it's improved since then. What you're describing sounds identical to my troubles.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 6, 2015

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I tried both /sda and /sda1 with no success. You're right, 50 sec is pretty short but the command still doesn't work.

I suppose I'll start looking around to see if a drive has this function built into its firmware.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Depending on your use case it may be worth your while to just go SSD and forget about the whole thing. Alternately if you're using something like a WD Red it's probably preferable to have it not spin down but once a week. Once spun up a rotational drive uses less than a watt of power which is about double what the Pi uses at idle.

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

wooger posted:

Yuck, I standby my opinion that anyone using these boards for media players etc would be better off getting a little atom box / Intel stick, and having a full suite of drivers, software, acceleration etc.
That's only a problem when trying to play video within the X windows environment (where it's notoriously difficult to hardware accelerate anything), which is more something you'd be doing if you were using it as a replacement for your actual PC.

If you want a media player you'll be using something like openelec which is an entirely different story, and when running that I've only seen my raspberry pi b struggle with 60fps 1080p content (it kept things synced but dropped frames a bit, still did better than some dedicated set top boxes I've seen).

When my htpc died over a year ago my raspberry pi took over its duties, and it was going to be temporary but it says a lot that it's still my htpc today (though for me that means "play videos off my network shares").

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Depending on your use case it may be worth your while to just go SSD and forget about the whole thing. Alternately if you're using something like a WD Red it's probably preferable to have it not spin down but once a week. Once spun up a rotational drive uses less than a watt of power which is about double what the Pi uses at idle.

Trying to keep this as low cost as possible to appease my wife so any large SSD is out. I'm not concerned about the power it's using, I'm more worried about drive longevity since I plan on keeping important docs and stuff backed up on it. Maybe one or two 64GB flash drives will do it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I see the Samsung MZ-75E120B 120GB SSD for $80 shipped on Newegg, that's barely $20 more than the cheapest rotational drive.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Be careful, the Pi doesn't really make a good file server. The disk performance is super slow because it goes over the USB 2.0 bus, and it can't supply a ton of power to USB devices so you'll need an external power supply for the USB device (or a powered hub). It's better for running a little Linux server to mess around with, learn programming, etc. If you're trying to serve files for computers on your network you'll probably be pretty annoyed with it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I do have a powered USB hub that I'm using. My intention (other than document backup) is to have my phone automatically backup my photos to it and using it as a torrent box that will automatically sync to my HTPC after downloading, so high performance isn't really necessary.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Raspberry Pi 2 VS Orange Pi VS Banana Pro
by GreatScott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNA3k7g42k

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Jamsta posted:

by GreatScott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZNA3k7g42k

I think it's funny how it's cheaper to have one of the other two shipped halfway around the world than to buy an Rasberry Pi 2 from a german retailer. I'm really mixed up in what I'll do here.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mod sassinator posted:

Be careful, the Pi doesn't really make a good file server. The disk performance is super slow because it goes over the USB 2.0 bus, and it can't supply a ton of power to USB devices so you'll need an external power supply for the USB device (or a powered hub). It's better for running a little Linux server to mess around with, learn programming, etc. If you're trying to serve files for computers on your network you'll probably be pretty annoyed with it.

Pretty much - unless you have a need for the GPIO ports or small form factor there is really no point in using a Pi.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jamsta posted:

by GreatScott

That's pretty neat that you can power the Orange Pi directly off of a 3.7v cell, and charge off of the the Pi's USB port. The build quality seems so-so but having integrated 3.7v support is a huge plus for a first battery powered project like a tiny homebuilt laptop.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Despite the internet saying "Rpi2 sound quality will be no different from Rpi1", the Rpi2 definitely sounds better on the 3.5mm jack. I use some Rpi1 B's for a squeezeplug setup to stream audio through ceiling speakers around my house and the 3.5mm sound quality on those sucks and I had to buy USB DACs for them all. I picked up a Rpi2 the other week and the 3.5mm jack sounds just as good as the USB DACs

Mr. Bubbles
Jul 19, 2012
Hello group,

Inexperienced electronics tinker-er trying to get a RPi project working. This is one component of the electronics (pictured). I have a solid state relay with input from the pi's 3.3v GPIO that closes the circuit of a 9V battery to power a small LED lamp. I've noticed that the LED lamp is quite a bit dimmer when powered by the relay compared to brightness when it is directly powered by the 9V battery.

So a few questions:
1) Is this because the relay is consuming some of the current that would have gone to power the LED lamp?
2) How can I minimize this loss of power?

Thanks!

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
That thing is ridiculously larger than what you need and its sheet says it has a 1.7V drop. Go to digi key and find one that better fits your need and I'm sure it will have a significantly lower resistance/drop. Alternately, there are things like this.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 9, 2015

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Mr. Bubbles posted:

So a few questions:
1) Is this because the relay is consuming some of the current that would have gone to power the LED lamp?
2) How can I minimize this loss of power?
I would use a general purpose transistor (e.g. PN2222) as a switch in that circuit. But I'm not an expert, you'll probably get better advice in the Electronics Megathread.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009
Has 1080p (or even 720p) video performance, as well as SNES emulator performance, improved significantly on the RPi since about mid-2013?

I picked one up back then for those two purposes (and messing with IO pins with Arduino and whatnot) and I had a lot of stuttering and slowness during both. I messed with the clock settings, voltage, SD cards, etc...but nothing really helped. The stuttering wasn't so bad for the video playback, but the SNES emulator performance was lacking, even though plenty of internet forum posts were expressing how happy people were with performance. Basically, I want to try out the $50 Emulator/XMBC Machine again, and I was hoping people had some anecdotes.