Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Gwaihir posted:

This being the laptop thread, 8.1 is actually legitimately much better in many ways on things that matter for laptops like power usage and sleep/hibernate/resume.

Not from what I've seen.

The only area where 8/8.1 is significantly faster is boot time - not resume from sleep or hibernation or even restarts (which still do a full cold start).

And yes I am using 8.1 on my own systems, 7 on work devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

8.1 is generally a better OS - it uses the exact same kernel as WS2012 R2, only with the 'Desktop User' role enabled. I highly reccomend 8.1 + Classic Start for personal use. Other than having to install Classic Start, Microsoft did a really great job on 8.1, they managed to scrub all the Steven Sinofsky out of the OS and it's actually quite good now. I waited a year before jumping from 7 to 8 and I thnk that's a reasonable amount of time; there's no reason to be creaking along on 7 2.5 years after the release date.

I'm looking forward to 10, but I'm going to wait 6 months for the bugs and driver situation to get sorted out before upgrading.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

The Iron Rose posted:

With a start menu replacer there's literally no difference between the UIs of Windows 7 and Windows 8.
The alt-tab behavior is different. There's a thing you can do to get the alt-tab behavior I prefer, but then that produces its own annoyingness, with four or five windows I don't give a poo poo about and don't want to exist perpetually occupying the first five slots (Networks, Search Pane and three unlabelled ones, all with a default icon of some sort). The default Win8 alt-tab behavior presumably just hides those fuckers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

silence_kit posted:

How is the lag between putting your pen down and drawing when using the Lenovo stylus? Is it noticeable? Is there noticeable error in the position of your pen tip and where you draw on the screen? Does your stylus need to be battery powered? How is the palm rejection when using the pen? Is it good?

It's a bog standard wacom stylus. No lag, no battery, total palm rejection. The pen tip to screen position isn't one hundred percent but honestly I think I just suck at calibrating it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hadlock posted:

8.1 is generally a better OS - it uses the exact same kernel as WS2012 R2, only with the 'Desktop User' role enabled. I highly reccomend 8.1 + Classic Start for personal use. Other than having to install Classic Start, Microsoft did a really great job on 8.1, they managed to scrub all the Steven Sinofsky out of the OS and it's actually quite good now. I waited a year before jumping from 7 to 8 and I thnk that's a reasonable amount of time; there's no reason to be creaking along on 7 2.5 years after the release date.

I'm looking forward to 10, but I'm going to wait 6 months for the bugs and driver situation to get sorted out before upgrading.

It's still much uglier though

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly, after a month with 8.1, win 7 looks just as dated as vista or xp. Your brain adjusts and life moves on, it's different but no less functional.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Honestly, after a month with 8.1, win 7 looks just as dated as vista or xp. Your brain adjusts and life moves on, it's different but no less functional.

Not what I've found at all - 7 still looks coherent, 8.1 still looks like a hot mess

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there something specific I should be looking for when looking at Thinkpads? The OP seems to be about 2 years old and implied Lenovo was sapping and impurifying their precious bodily magnesium frames.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, finally got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318421&cm_re=T430-_-34-318-421-_-Product. It came with the 1600x900, even though it says 1300x768. Maybe they ran out of 1600x900 after I ordered mine or something, it didn't specify before. Pretty happy with an i5, 8gb RAM, 180GB SSD, and 1600x900 display for $420.

This thing is chunkier than I was expecting. I've installed a couple T440s at customer sites, and they were super thin and light. Did that change with the 440 generation, or was it some suffix like s or p or some poo poo designating a size change?

Downside, when I plug in or unplug the computer, the screen shuts off for about a second after maybe 3 seconds. I'm going to post in the hardware smal questions, but has anyone seen that before? The power cable stays in, unlike my old computer, so it isn't too much of an issue. But it still sucks to have on a new-to-me computer.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

T series has been more or less the same thickness for 4+ years, you bought the standard T430, were you installing T440 or T440s

Fake edit: T440 is 0.83", T430 is 1.2" :monocle:

So yeah the T440 is 70% the thickness of a T430. Hooray forward march of progress.

Your display should not be doing that, at least my x230 does not and I'm pretty sure they share similar display power systems. Try, uh, shutting downthe laptop, removing the battery for 10 minutes and then putting it back in and starting it back up. I doubt this will do anything but maybe your laptop is calibrated for an old battery. There's a lenovo battery utility, I suggest you use it, as it will give you a status code that Lenovo Thinkpad support is going to ask you for anyways.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 28, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Downside, when I plug in or unplug the computer, the screen shuts off for about a second after maybe 3 seconds. I'm going to post in the hardware smal questions, but has anyone seen that before? The power cable stays in, unlike my old computer, so it isn't too much of an issue. But it still sucks to have on a new-to-me computer.

It's probably changing to a lower refresh rate on battery - there should be a setting to stop it doing that in the Intel graphics control panel.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
So still shopping around. I almost pulled the trigger on the $400 Flex 2 15 from the Lenovo outlet, but the site went down and they ran out of stock. Now I'm back to square one.

Two questions:

1.) Are there any other good sites to shop for refurbished laptops?

2.) I've noticed that a lot of refurb laptops in the bargain pricerange that I'm looking for either have an i5 with Windows 7 or an i3 with Windows 8. Having never used a Windows 8 machine before, should I stick with the better processor on the older OS, or is it worth holding out for something with the newer OS?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

dissss posted:

It's probably changing to a lower refresh rate on battery - there should be a setting to stop it doing that in the Intel graphics control panel.

That was it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

My Sager 8651 arrived : It's really loud.

It looks and feels well-made, and is about half the thickness of the ASUS ROG laptop from 4 years ago it replaced. I expected the fans to be loud during CPU/vid intensive things, but the idle noise is unpleasantly high as well.

No other complaints.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
So it would seem that in preparation for the new y50 release next month Lenovo is dumping their current inventory.

I don't know what the price on the new y50 is going to be when it's launched but googling puts it at ~$1275 for the bare bones version, and probably ~$1400 for a one with a non hybrid SSD. Is the current screen so bad that it'll be worth the $300 price difference?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

I don't know what the price on the new y50 is going to be when it's launched but googling puts it at ~$1275 for the bare bones version, and probably ~$1400 for a one with a non hybrid SSD. Is the current screen so bad that it'll be worth the $300 price difference?

The new MSI GE62 lists for 1299USD and has a significantly faster GTX965m. They also really toned down the ugly. If the Y50 is actually going to be shipping close to 1300 dollars, the MSI might be a nice alternative.

image source: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/laptops/2015/02/19/msi-ge62-2qe-apache-review/1

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
What is the pro method of wiping and installing Windows on a new XPS 13? I haven't gotten a new computer from a manufacturer in ages. Do they still send a CD that I need to image onto a bootable thumb drive?

Same question for my old Lenovo X120E. I'd like to reinstall windows 7 but I don't have the CD or anything anymore. How would I get the image and would I just use some imaging software (such as?) to make a bootable USB?

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

French Canadian posted:

What is the pro method of wiping and installing Windows on a new XPS 13? I haven't gotten a new computer from a manufacturer in ages. Do they still send a CD that I need to image onto a bootable thumb drive?

Same question for my old Lenovo X120E. I'd like to reinstall windows 7 but I don't have the CD or anything anymore. How would I get the image and would I just use some imaging software (such as?) to make a bootable USB?

The XPS 13 comes with like, maybe two pieces of bloatware - McAfee and something else that I forget uninstalling. It is way more effort than it's worth to wipe and reinstall.

edit: Just googled it, the other two pieces are flipboard and a dropbox 1 year 20 gb trial, both unobtrusive. there's no point in reinstalling

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

French Canadian posted:

As mentioned, you don't need to do it on the XPS13. If you really want to I believe you can download an OEM 8 image and it'll recognize the key built into the computer (haven't done this on a recent computer yet so I'm not 100%).

For 7, you can download the image from Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-recovery) and then use Rufus (https://rufus.akeo.ie/) to make a bootable USB.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Grimson posted:

edit: Just googled it, the other two pieces are flipboard and a dropbox 1 year 20 gb trial, both unobtrusive. there's no point in reinstalling
Though a few months ago "just uninstall Superfish and the other crap" would have seemed like fine advice for Lenovo, and nobody would have noticed that doing this left fake root certificates on your device until months later. So maybe a clean install is always the best bet because you never know what dumb poo poo the installed bloatware is getting up to that people haven't discovered yet. (Edit: though you also don't know what dumb poo poo a clean install of Windows is going to be doing either.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KodiakRS posted:

So it would seem that in preparation for the new y50 release next month Lenovo is dumping their current inventory.

Our office gives us discounts on personal purchases from Dell, usually barely less than what you can get at Best Buy (i.e. not worth it), and all of a sudden Dell started sending me advertisements for crazy deals every week for the first time in 5 years. Like, $250 for a 14" laptop that normally lists at $350, which doesn't sound like much but $130 off a brand new, already low margin product like that is huge. Usually you see those kinds of deals on refurb models.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hadlock posted:

Our office gives us discounts on personal purchases from Dell, usually barely less than what you can get at Best Buy (i.e. not worth it), and all of a sudden Dell started sending me advertisements for crazy deals every week for the first time in 5 years. Like, $250 for a 14" laptop that normally lists at $350, which doesn't sound like much but $130 off a brand new, already low margin product like that is huge. Usually you see those kinds of deals on refurb models.

Bear in mind that, as Skylake comes out this fall, Broadwell will have been the shortest Intel generation in recent memory. Dell isn't the only vendor trying to sell soon-to-be outdated stock like crazy right now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Intel isn't rolling out Sky Lake to mobile until 2016, so Broadwell still has ~3 quarters of life in it, maybe 5 if they wait until summer 2016. Desktop is skipping Broadwell entirely and going to Sky Lake in ~late September/early October.

My plan this year is get a retina Macbook Air (although the new x250 is looking pretty good with the 1080p touchscreen, will have to wait and see), and then replace my aging first gen i5-750 desktop with 6th gen i5-6xxx Sky Lake before Star Wars Battlefront comes out this ~October.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, Dell has some great deals right now. They just gave my mother in law $150 off the XPS13.

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, Dell has some great deals right now. They just gave my mother in law $150 off the XPS13.

By just asking,?!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They sent out some coupons I think.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't know if this is still true but typically if you get one of those chat box people while browsing Dell's site and you give them specifics (i.e. "my buddy got a coupon for an XPS 13 for $XYY.xx price with (specific part numbers)" they will try and closely match that price given to someone else. Dell would rather sell you a new laptop for a profit than give up that sale to another company.

JohnnyTreachery
Dec 7, 2000

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, finally got this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834318421&cm_re=T430-_-34-318-421-_-Product. It came with the 1600x900, even though it says 1300x768. Maybe they ran out of 1600x900 after I ordered mine or something, it didn't specify before. Pretty happy with an i5, 8gb RAM, 180GB SSD, and 1600x900 display for $420.

This thing is chunkier than I was expecting. I've installed a couple T440s at customer sites, and they were super thin and light. Did that change with the 440 generation, or was it some suffix like s or p or some poo poo designating a size change?

very tempted to order this for my parents, but both reviews complain about busted parts despite the refurb -- one about the ssd, the other about the battery/power cable. how did yours arrive? also, I'm guessing the limited warranty isn't covered by lenovo

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

FAUXTON posted:

Is there something specific I should be looking for when looking at Thinkpads? The OP seems to be about 2 years old and implied Lenovo was sapping and impurifying their precious bodily magnesium frames.

T4*0s series are effectively the new standard, rather than the T4*0 base models. Unless you really want to have an Ultrabay and can live with a non-IPS screen.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The HP Specter X360 which was just announced looks really nice and more affordable than the the XPS 13. Anyone have any experience with HP's quality control in recent memory?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

JohnnyTreachery posted:

very tempted to order this for my parents, but both reviews complain about busted parts despite the refurb -- one about the ssd, the other about the battery/power cable. how did yours arrive? also, I'm guessing the limited warranty isn't covered by lenovo

I haven't run down the battery all the way to make sure it lasts as long as it says it should. There have been a couple weird things, like the screen refresh rate changing on or off battery. Also if I've got the cable plugged in and tilt the PC forward, it thinks there's no battery. If I unplug it and tilt it forward, it works just fine. Don't know what that's about.

It's just fine for me, who knows how to troubleshoot a computer and can ask the internet for help, but I don't know that I'd recommend it for someone less computer-literate.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Can anyone explain why Lenovo Y40-80s are so cheap considering what components are included? They can't be liquidating old stock since these are Broadwells, but ~600-700 for what you get seems way too good to be true. Reviews say the screen isn't great but I can't seem to find many other negatives other than that the machine itself is an eyesore.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...eals+LLC&NID=CJ

Deal code USPY4CUS219

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 1, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Can anyone explain why Lenovo Y40-80s are so cheap considering what components are included? They can't be liquidating old stock since these are Broadwells, but ~600-700 for what you get seems way too good to be true. Reviews say the screen isn't great but I can't seem to find many other negatives other than that the machine itself is an eyesore.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptop...eals+LLC&NID=CJ

Deal code USPY4CUS219

Holy poo poo!

Computer error on their part maybe? Buy that i7 and 512SSD model right now!

Edit: the IPS/GTX960 Y50 is also listed now. $1299 which kind of makes the MSI GE62 look more appealing.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 1, 2015

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
17.3" HP Envy for $500.00

Giant screen aside, this seems like a fairly decent buy. One of the IT guys that I work with digs Envies; hows it look?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

17.3" HP Envy for $500.00

Giant screen aside, this seems like a fairly decent buy. One of the IT guys that I work with digs Envies; hows it look?

It's a decent amount of PC for $500 (the i5 is nice). I mean, I guess it's okay if you have to have a new 17.3inch laptop on the cheap. I don't think I could stand the size or low resolution display, but those are the trade-offs you come across when shopping for 500 dollar or less computers.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

SouthLAnd posted:

It's a decent amount of PC for $500 (the i5 is nice). I mean, I guess it's okay if you have to have a new 17.3inch laptop on the cheap. I don't think I could stand the size or low resolution display, but those are the trade-offs you come across when shopping for 500 dollar or less computers.
Honestly the 17.3" is more of a compromise to get the other features than it is a feature on its own.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

Honestly the 17.3" is more of a compromise to get the other features than it is a feature on its own.

Very true. Lenovo sells a FHD 15.6 Z50 for a bit under 600 dollars if that's more in your size range. It has an ULV i7, which should still be plenty quick. If they update it with Broadwell soon, it might even be more enticing.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Just a reminder to folks with 'gaming laptops' and pets that you should periodically clean all the loving fur out of your fans and vents.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can someone please recommend a laptop for my Mum? Cheap and small would be ideal, something in the 13" range. Should be Windows as she is used to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

go3 posted:

Just a reminder to folks with 'gaming laptops' and pets that you should periodically clean all the loving fur out of your fans and vents.

Or don't, and then put it up on craigslist for super cheap so that people who know what they're doing get a laptop for a fraction of the price.