Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
My Asus 7970 DCII has one fan that's been making a nasty grinding noise that's finally bugging me enough to do something about. I know I've seen folks in the thread talk about it - is this what I need to do? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WYFYFHRtjE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

My Asus 7970 DCII has one fan that's been making a nasty grinding noise that's finally bugging me enough to do something about. I know I've seen folks in the thread talk about it - is this what I need to do?

Some fans have sealed plastic over that point where he drops oil. If yours is open after peeling the sticker like in the video, that'll work. If it's sealed, I'd just take off the entire fan and shroud assembly, go outside, squirt oil all over them fans, and use compressed air to force the fans to spin and work the oil in.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

The Lord Bude posted:

If your card isn't built FTW, how are you supposed to get ahead in the game of pwns?

Is it ugly videocard time?

and of course, the champion.
not the ugliest, but the saddest.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Mar 1, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Maybe if we're going for the ugliest, the opposite end is the ASUS 3870X2.. Although only if you like scantily clad ladies, I suppose.

It does represent perhaps the peak (since it's also physically enormous) of such male-dominated designs for computer hardware.

The market hasn't grown up, though, just become painfully cheesy (FTW, Game of Pwns, L33T gank)..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 1, 2015

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Some fans have sealed plastic over that point where he drops oil. If yours is open after peeling the sticker like in the video, that'll work. If it's sealed, I'd just take off the entire fan and shroud assembly, go outside, squirt oil all over them fans, and use compressed air to force the fans to spin and work the oil in.

Awesome, first time I've had a reason to take a screwdriver to a GPU and success. First round no dice, second time I just bukkaked all over the fan and now the grinding sound is gone; 'preciate the help.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Glad it worked, you'll want to wipe off the excess oil so it doesn't get flung around the case, but mineral oil isn't conductive so it won't harm anything if you get specks here and there.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It will however dissolve rubber.

HERAK
Dec 1, 2004

The Lord Bude posted:

If your card isn't built FTW, how are you supposed to get ahead in the game of pwns?

Could be worse.

At least the others are just marketing terms.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HERAK posted:

Could be worse.

At least the others are just marketing terms.

I refuse to believe that that is real, this is all a dream and I am going to wake up and laugh at the very idea of that thing.

:smith:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I refuse to believe that that is real, this is all a dream and I am going to wake up and laugh at the very idea of that thing.

:smith:

It's an X79 (LGA 2011) board too. And it gets worse... :smith:

e: Specs show it's probably the shittiest of Gigabyte's X79 boards. Only four DDR3 slots, no 4-way CFX/SLI, Killer ethernet, E-ATX. Their ATX X79 boards pack more oomph in less space.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 2, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You have to assume that any motherboard with heatsinks shaped like guns is designed specifically for the purpose of ripping off foolish teenagers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That motherboard /needs/ Gskill Sniper memory:

.......I have some :( (low voltage, in a single fan quiet pc.)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Mar 2, 2015

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
Hope this is the right place to ask, I'm attempting to set up my monitor and two TV's to my computer that has a GTX970. It has 1 HDMI 1 DP and 2 DVi's. I currently have one TV on the HDMI and my monitor on the DVI.

Trying to get my second TV hooked up with sound, I tried a DP to HDMI cable and it didn't work, was is just a bad cable or did i miss something completely because i feel this would be the best way. Next option would be a HDMI switch, is there something to look for in finding a decent/cheap one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Are we talking about terrible cooler styling now?

I give you the MSI Big Bang XPower 2:

CraigSlice posted:

Hope this is the right place to ask, I'm attempting to set up my monitor and two TV's to my computer that has a GTX970. It has 1 HDMI 1 DP and 2 DVi's. I currently have one TV on the HDMI and my monitor on the DVI.

Trying to get my second TV hooked up with sound, I tried a DP to HDMI cable and it didn't work, was is just a bad cable or did i miss something completely because i feel this would be the best way. Next option would be a HDMI switch, is there something to look for in finding a decent/cheap one.

DP does output audio, and can use a passive adapter to HDMI. Maybe a bad cable, yes, but there are a couple other things that could be causing problems.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 2, 2015

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.
All right, terrible motherboard gimmick time!

Here's one of the all-time greats:

e:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DP does output audio, and can use a passive adapter to HDMI. Maybe a bad cable, yes, but there are a couple other things that could be causing problems.

Eh, not necessarily. DisplayPort and HDMI are two completely different signal standards; some display adapters can just output an HDMI-compatible signal over the DisplayPort pins that an adapter can use. I don't know that particular card, but I'd try an HDMI-to-DVI cable. Unlike DisplayPort, HDMI and DVI are almost identical electrically up to 1920x1200/1080 levels of bandwidth, so passive adapters almost always work.

Space Gopher fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 2, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The tube audio boards always intrigued me. Seems like a bad idea since A) they are undoubtedly poo poo quality tubes and B) aren't tubes ridiculously vulnerable to EMI/RFI compared to solid state?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazinsal posted:

It's an X79 (LGA 2011) board too. And it gets worse... :smith:

e: Specs show it's probably the shittiest of Gigabyte's X79 boards. Only four DDR3 slots, no 4-way CFX/SLI, Killer ethernet, E-ATX. Their ATX X79 boards pack more oomph in less space.

That's not the worst gun-related motherboard design.

EDIT: Yeah, probably should've read a bit further down. -_-

Gigabyte board with an AK magazine cooler:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I guess Gigabytes gimmick is terrible design decisions.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
All that trouble to put tubes on the board and then they pair it with a VIA chipset.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

cisco privilege posted:

All that trouble to put tubes on the board and then they pair it with a VIA chipset.

I'll repeat myself, but someone really needs to buy VIA so all the poo poo they bought doesn't waste away forever.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

I'll repeat myself, but someone really needs to buy VIA so all the poo poo they bought doesn't waste away forever.

Oh, I'm sure somebody will! Those patents are all probably worth *something*. Even if they just pull a Motorola just to get at the patents and then resell them a year or two later.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Maybe someone can help me with this.

Something GPU related is messing up in my system. When my GPU shifts to 3D clocks there is noticeable performance degradation when using the audio output on the GPU. When I switch over to my USB g35 for audio, no problems with audio or graphics. I have already done a compete uninstall and reinstall of the drivers.

If it is a PSU problem, I got the money to replace it. I'm running on a Corsair 1000HX bought new in '08/09. It never did anything more than an HD 4870 X2 + GTX 8800.

If it is a GPU problem I hope, I really do, that MSI can replace it with a new card. I bought the limited edition GTX 970 Golden. Nothing is overclocked in my system. I even tried downclocking my GPU using afterburner as low as possible and that didn't seem to work. Something with using the GPU for audio is messing with my GPU entirely.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 2, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

I guess Gigabytes gimmick is (being) terrible design decisions.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, I'm sure somebody will! Those patents are all probably worth *something*. Even if they just pull a Motorola just to get at the patents and then resell them a year or two later.

If there is any institutional knowledge left in VIA they'd be more useful than for just mere patents. Whoever buys them might be able to throw themselves into the game between Intel/Nvidia/AMD, and I wouldn't mind some kind of "safety lever" brand should someone go completely tits.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

SwissArmyDruid posted:

DP only supports passive adapters to HDMI if the port supports DisplayPort Dual Mode.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Be fair, their motherboards are crap, but their video cards seem to be fine.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

veedubfreak posted:

Be fair, their motherboards are crap, but their video cards seem to be fine.

I agree as a gigabyte owner lol, but I get this feeling that's more because of nvidia (and amd) rather than gigabyte

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I wonder if my Gigabyte MB is responsible for these random, untraceable BSODs that usually point to ntoskrnl or something with the hard drives when they pass all health checks. Memory too. CPU is fine with IntelBurn as well.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Panty Saluter posted:

I wonder if my Gigabyte MB is responsible for these random, untraceable BSODs that usually point to ntoskrnl or something with the hard drives when they pass all health checks. Memory too. CPU is fine with IntelBurn as well.

Funny, I have a Gigabyte mobo and I used to get those. Occasionally when I boot it says hard drive read failure as well despite having used two different ssd's and a hdd as my windows drive over the year. I just kind of gave up. Really can't say its the reason I guess but still.

I say used to as it happened far more often in the past and way less now, especially BSOD's with ntoskrnl

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Panty Saluter posted:

That's pretty much Gigabyte boards summarized from my years of wasted youth loving around with PC components. Please children, spend more, get legit Intel network and AHCI controllers and don't end up like this man.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
What's the difference between the g-sync FPGA refreshing the screen and the GPU re-sending the last frame if it's taking too long to render the next one?

Aside from the obvious brand lockin capabilities, of course.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I base most of my opinion not on thorough troubleshooting but because it reminds me of the experience I had with a lovely Soyo motherboard years ago. The difference is that the Soyo would poop on itself under load (it it an unintentional poop pun), which makes at least some level of sense to me. This board will crash while idling more often than under load. Could just be lovely conductivity at low power levels that gets masked at higher power where it just arcs across.

Or something else entirely :iiam:

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Dang, fan grinding noise came back or never went away (didn't happen 100% of the time). All I had on hand was teflon based bike chain lubricant so I'll try stopping and grabbing some mineral oil today in hopes that it's thinner and can seep in to the bearings easier. If that don't work I'll shoot for drilling past the plastic cap in the way. The thought makes me a little nervous, but doing a whole RMA or something over a fan that likely just needs a clean and lube sounds like a royal PITA.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I've personally had good luck with Gigabyte mobos, though I've read their bios isn't as polished as ASUS or MSI these days.

Gigabyte's added a step up program for their black edition mobos. Basically you can upgrade to a newer mobo and chipset for free within the first 3 years:

http://bk.gigabyte.eu/EN_faq.html

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

calusari posted:

I've personally had good luck with Gigabyte mobos, though I've read their bios isn't as polished as ASUS or MSI these days.

Gigabyte's added a step up program for their black edition mobos. Basically you can upgrade to a newer mobo and chipset for free within the first 3 years:

That's cool. Lord knows this board is one of the cheapest LGA1150s I could find, so maybe one of the BEs will be less bitchy. If it's a cheap and easy upgrade path I might try it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

teh_Broseph posted:

Dang, fan grinding noise came back or never went away (didn't happen 100% of the time). All I had on hand was teflon based bike chain lubricant so I'll try stopping and grabbing some mineral oil today in hopes that it's thinner and can seep in to the bearings easier. If that don't work I'll shoot for drilling past the plastic cap in the way. The thought makes me a little nervous, but doing a whole RMA or something over a fan that likely just needs a clean and lube sounds like a royal PITA.

You can just replace the fan, they're extremely cheap. Go nuts on the piece of poo poo, they're hard to make any worse than they are.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

calusari posted:

That looked like a pretty cool deal until i checked the price of the black boards ajd found that their 2-3x the cost of comparitive boards, so you end up paying for the second board anyway

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Not sure where to dump this, so I'll try here.

How can I find the maximum VGA pixelclock for an intel i5-4590? I'm trying to drive a CRT in linux and it's capping me to 1280x1024, which is ridiculous - my monitor ran just fine at 2048x1536 on an ancient ATI.

Google doesn't help, since kernel modesetting is recent (and required for Xorg) and nobody has used a CRT in 5 years.

Edit: gently caress MY LIFE.

Intel removed VGA support as of lynxpoint without bothering to remove the actual connection. You can drive 1990 era monitors (12x10), and that's it. 170mhz pixelclock, down from 400. I wasn't expecting them to improve their VGA support, but I sure as poo poo wasn't prepared for it to be completely gutted - just loving remove it if you don't want to support it.

Now begins the hunt for a DVI-D to VGA (active) adapter that handles reasonable resolutions.

Harik fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 3, 2015

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Harik posted:

Not sure where to dump this, so I'll try here.

How can I find the maximum VGA pixelclock for an intel i5-4590? I'm trying to drive a CRT in linux and it's capping me to 1280x1024, which is ridiculous - my monitor ran just fine at 2048x1536 on an ancient ATI.

Google doesn't help, since kernel modesetting is recent (and required for Xorg) and nobody has used a CRT in 5 years.

Edit: gently caress MY LIFE.

Intel removed VGA support as of lynxpoint without bothering to remove the actual connection. You can drive 1990 era monitors (12x10), and that's it. 170mhz pixelclock, down from 400. I wasn't expecting them to improve their VGA support, but I sure as poo poo wasn't prepared for it to be completely gutted - just loving remove it if you don't want to support it.

Now begins the hunt for a DVI-D to VGA (active) adapter that handles reasonable resolutions.

That for real sucks, but I would personally hunt for something else (monitor). Or perhaps, a $10 gpu someone doesnt want anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Well, it looks like AMDs Mantle is dead.

All hail DX12.