Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

because apple's people aren't so insecure as to have script involvement

francis: meecham, sexy meecham, bring my my wandaws phone, i need the most secure app ecosystem to fend off these reporters prying into the picadillos of my digital life

*launches peachoid.app and smiles at the camera*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

my favorite apple thing is if it can't reach an IP you get "www.192.168.1.1"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
apple doesn't pay for product placement, they just provide props for free and look good so they're commonly used

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they appear to have had two separate deals

samsung logos show up on every imaginable electronic device. they even have characters hold an android phone close to the camera with a silver samsung logo. samsung laptops in the whitehouse

at the same time, you have un-branded phones with a prominent windows-phone UI getting the same closeup. at one point point where there are windows phone ui overlays on screen, over the actors

why have one cack-handed marketing placement when you can have two

you know pagancow is masturbating to this post right?

you noticed! it works! it really works!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

you know pagancow is masturbating to this post right?

you noticed! it works! it really works!

anyone who posts in yospos is gonna pay attention to computer logos and corresponding product placement choices

idk how effective it is on normal people with working limbic systems

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's subconscious for them

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

lol

i remember some other resolver strangeness back in 10.4 days. like it arbitrarily preferred some bullshit apple thing over dns in some situations like for some types of records or something, tried to look it up but didn't find anything so idk don't really remember any details

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

this doesnt happen to me

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

apple doesn't pay for product placement, they just provide props for free and look good so they're commonly used

Lol if you actually believe this

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i believe it without any reservation

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
celebs actually love samsung and windows mobile, they tweet about them all the time from their ios twitter apps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

celebs actually love samsung and windows mobile, they tweet about them all the time from their ios twitter apps

thatll never stop being funy

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

they appear to have had two separate deals

samsung logos show up on every imaginable electronic device. they even have characters hold an android phone close to the camera with a silver samsung logo. samsung laptops in the whitehouse

at the same time, you have un-branded phones with a prominent windows-phone UI getting the same closeup. at one point point where there are windows phone ui overlays on screen, over the actors

why have one cack-handed marketing placement when you can have two

you forgot to mention the fridge

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

infernal machines posted:

i thought windows phone was the phone to free us from our phones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdpQir1sqiQ

Someone make a gif of 0:47 tia

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fame Douglas posted:

Lol if you actually believe this

considering it'd be perjury if it weren't true i think i do

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Beeftweeter posted:

considering it'd be perjury if it weren't true i think i do
that article doesnt say anything about it being for free

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Linguica posted:

that article doesnt say anything about it being for free

oops i linked the wrong one

it was this (which links to the one i posted above)

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Beeftweeter posted:

i think people in the film industry just tend to have macs so they have a lot of em lying around and they end up being used as props

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

THC posted:

i think people in the film industry just tend to have macs so they have a lot of em lying around and they end up being used as props

if that were true i think we'd have seen "cheap as gently caress pc with apple logo sticker on it" in a movie at some point

now i kind of want to see a hacker movie running a hackintosh

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the set decorator thought the COM, LPT and VGA ports and the Genuine Windows & Intel Inside stickers were an eyesore

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
macs tend to have such consistent designs though that often, you see macs in movies and know "hey that's a mac" even when they cover up the apple logo

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

Microsoft apparently slung enough desperate marketing dollars at Netflix to get winpho featured in House of Cards this season, complete with several shots where someone does nothing but use a windows phone

you know ms has a bloated ad budget when more fictional characters use winpho than actual people

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the newest modern family episode is a 22-minute icloud ad

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
funy icloud dad

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Beeftweeter posted:

if apple didn't pay for product placement, categorically, there would be no incentive to cover the logos when they don't pay you

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

this is a lot of words to say "they came up with 100 options, and naked hologram lady was still the best of the lot"

i like microsofts failures because the chain of incompetence and meddling behind each one is both funny and obvious. with hp or something you can just say "everyone involved was an idiot" and move on, but microsoft is a system expressly dedicated to preventing competent people from making anything work right, and it didn't always used to be that way

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

apple products are close enough to m2 money at this point that the surreptitious leaving behind of the demo units is enough to make execs, cast and crew happy and also saves the production the familiar work of shoveling gratis samsung handsets into a 55 gallon drum for later burning

a non-payment paid placement process which will intensify when they get rolling out the $10k gold watches next quarter

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if apple didn't pay for product placement, categorically, there would be no incentive to cover the logos when they don't pay you

sure there is. https://www.apple.com/legal/intellectual-property/guidelinesfor3rdparties.html

i'm the Jackintosh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wootman posted:

im not a troll, im a fact spreader

hey fact spreader

spend a little time in GBS

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The minute he walked in the joint, I could tell he would be marked for extinction - a real fact spreader.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beeftweeter posted:

oops i linked the wrong one

it was this (which links to the one i posted above)

Not only is this pretty old, I'm also not seeing any "perjury-type" quote mentioning Apple not paying for product placement. Seems to be some journalist's misinterpretation.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 1, 2015

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

So why aren’t other vendors seeking Microsoft’s advice? It’s not entirely clear, but it’s possible OEMs are concerned about retaining competitive advantages. For example, Nash said during testing of the Spectre x360, a bug was found in how TPM was addressed by the OS. The fix didn’t just benefit HP, but all PC makers. If an OEM had found such a bug by itself, it could keep it quiet as a unique performance benefit.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fame Douglas posted:

Not only is this pretty old, I'm also not seeing any "perjury-type" quote mentioning Apple not paying for product placement. Seems to be some journalist's misinterpretation.

business insider, so we can rule out journalism

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fame Douglas posted:

the article's age is irrelevant, but they seem to have come to that conclusion from here: http://www.sfgate.com/technology/article/Marketing-chief-gives-glimpse-into-Apple-3761800.php

quote:

Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller testified Friday that the company counts on free press coverage and products placed in film and television shows, sometimes over pricey advertising, to promote its devices to users.

tbf without reading his actual testimony its not really clear whether or not he means just free press coverage or both that and free product placement, but its something i've been hearing for decades so i wouldn't be surprised if it were true

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i thought it was funnythat the show veronica mars had tons of apple poo poo in it in the mid 00s and even a character named "mac" who actually railed against linux in a brief nerd soliloquy and then a few years back samsung sponsored the low budget reunion movie and every single bit of tech was samsung.. except the mac character was still in it and they had to call her mac cuz thats her name lol.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

anyone who posts in yospos is gonna pay attention to computer logos and corresponding product placement choices

idk how effective it is on normal people with working limbic systems

I pointed this out to the wife once in an episode of parks and rec where the windows 8 / phone placement was particularly egregious. she said she didn't notice and assumed it was a fake phone and didn't recognize the logo on the laptops (it was the Microsoft logo)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
now that i think about it, fully functioning adults may not be the target audience for product placement. maybe all the phone/pc product placement is intended for yospos types.

auto product placements for idiot car guys

etc

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

it probably depends on the brand awareness

i bet coke product placement is actually pretty effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
dell or sony names on the monitor in a movie's hacking scene associates the brand with cool hacking computers for smart people, which is fairly subtle for people who don't care about computers. having the windows logo on a monitor, a thing that doesn't exist and normal people don't recognize, doesn't do anything for anyone except aggravate nerds

• Locked thread