Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Revitalized posted:

Jester is awesome! Battle Ballad all day 'erry day.

Went camping. My Bounty Hunter taught my Crusader "This is how we do it" and then my Vestal blessed him. He gets this accuracy and crit buff, which balances out with the drawback of the Rabies he just acquired.

So basically he had a damage buff, a crit buff, and an accuracy buff. Followed by constant Battle Ballads every turn for stacking speed/crit/accuracy. I didn't even realize Holy Lance had a 10% base crit rate. My Crusader became Death Incarnate for the rest of that dungeon, Smiting, Zealously Persecuting and Holy Lancing without prejudice. Battles would end with him having as much as like +20% crit, not counting his attack skill's modifier.

My battle Jester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Coolguye posted:

EvilCornbread: If you're willing to opt in to the Steam beta so you can stream, I think you're sort of at the point where it'd be helpful if someone watched you play so they can offer on-the-spot tips for what's going on.

I volunteer to do this, go ahead and add me on steam (profile [url=http://steamcommunity.com/id/HieronomousCoolguy]here[/url[) and I will help you out.

Thanks, I might take you up on that. Playing a bit more, I think some of my issue was trying to get too cute with bleed/stun/heal/etc abilities rather than just Hitting Enemies Hard and Killing Them. Made it through the first few weeks reasonably well though this time, so hopefully I'm on my way to success.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually think the Jester works fine as a frontliner, just not great. He has poo poo HP but crazy good dodge so his HP usually stays high anyways.

It does, until he gets crit by one of the bigger monsters and it brights him from 100% hp straight to death's door. :)

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually think the Jester works fine as a frontliner, just not great. He has poo poo HP but crazy good dodge so his HP usually stays high anyways. The main advantage he has over other frontliners is that he can always get right back to the front if he needs too. Unfortunately, that doesn't make up for the fact that his abilities up front are pretty lackluster. Solo just isn't that good. It looks amazing but it does tickling damage and the debuff is resisted way too much to ever be useful. So I guess I think the Jester is usable as a frontliner but other frontliners are stronger than him so if you're having trouble with the game skip him. I don't like using him in the back because I think having one person spamming nothing but buffs is really boring, plus I feel the stress removing moves in general are scummy.

If stress was a bigger issue he'd be great on long missions since his camp buffs are fantastic for stress removal.
Fill the party with PDs to damage buff him repeatedly and use Solo every turn.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Doesn't solo have a -100% dmg mod?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Jade Star posted:

Doesn't solo have a -100% dmg mod?

It does, but damage buffs are additive, not multiplicative.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

It does, until he gets crit by one of the bigger monsters and it brights him from 100% hp straight to death's door. :)

That happens regardless of character. My 6th level hellion went from ~90% hp to deaths door in one swipe when a big corpse eater hit her w/ a crit while she was tagged. I thought those guys were mooks, but apparently they can be mean under the right circumstances.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah. The only time a frontliner hasn't been knocked to death's door by one of the bigger nasties with a huge crit was my Crusader who has 80 health, and he still took 67 damage from a single blow. Any class can have it happen.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ah man. I just beat the last boss of the content available so far. That sucks because I love this game and don't want it to end. I hope they release the Cove soon, otherwise my LP is about to become (even more) boring... and this time it isn't even my fault!!

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just got this. It's fun so far! I have a few questions about general strategy:

> How much money should I be spending on provisions? My first two attempts at dungeon crawling haven't gone well in large part because I feel like I scrimped on necessary equipment.

> I really hosed up my first two sorties. Should I start over with a new save file now that I understand things slightly better?

> Is there any way to tell how hard a particular mission will be? I feel like a key to success is having enough characters to field a few successful parties, so that you can always be relaxing on string and using another to advance. However, there's going to be an imbalance as one string will not be getting experience for that mission. So knowing what missions are easier would be helpful.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

I just got this. It's fun so far! I have a few questions about general strategy:

> How much money should I be spending on provisions? My first two attempts at dungeon crawling haven't gone well in large part because I feel like I scrimped on necessary equipment.

> I really hosed up my first two sorties. Should I start over with a new save file now that I understand things slightly better?

> Is there any way to tell how hard a particular mission will be? I feel like a key to success is having enough characters to field a few successful parties, so that you can always be relaxing on string and using another to advance. However, there's going to be an imbalance as one string will not be getting experience for that mission. So knowing what missions are easier would be helpful.

1. For smalls maps 4 food, 8 torches and 1 shovel is a good start. You need to scale this up for the longer maps

2. No make sure you upgrade the stagecoach to get 4 heroes each week. A good part of the game is getting rid of hosed up heroes since you can always get more next week.

3. Hardness is mainly driven my mission length and also the monster level. As you complete mission the monster difficulty gradually scales up for things like the boss strength

Rhaegar posted:

WHAT?!?!

I'm 35 weeks in and had no idea this was a bug.

Yeah it was weird Mac bug, you would always get one negative or positive trait. One the PC version it's a random to chance to get either a single good or bad trait.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I shouldn't be trying to consistently level up heroes, and should instead view them as a disposable resource?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

sector_corrector posted:

This is what I go by

Short:
4-8 food
4-6 torches
1 shovel
0-1 key

Medium:
12 food
8 torches
2 shovel
1-2 key

Might want to bring an extra shovel for Weald.

With Occultist:
+2 bandage

Optional in Weald:
medicinal herbs for animal carcass
antivenom for old tree
bandage for mummified remains
shovel for shallow grave

Optional in Ruins:
holy water for light altar, decorative urn, confession booth, or holy fountain
medicinal herbs for iron maiden or alchemy table

In Warrens:
burn every scroll for negative quirk removal
i dont go here

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 1, 2015

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So people say that the first few weeks are really rough but once you get past that it becomes generally manageable but still rough waters right?

Would you say it's like the first Stratum of an Etrian Odyssey game in that way?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

RareAcumen posted:

So people say that the first few weeks are really rough but once you get past that it becomes generally manageable but still rough waters right?

Would you say it's like the first Stratum of an Etrian Odyssey game in that way?

That is a fair comparison.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

sector_corrector posted:

So I shouldn't be trying to consistently level up heroes, and should instead view them as a disposable resource?

Exactly. I upgraded my roster size quickly to have tons of people to juggle and help others as needed. One level 2 can really carry some 1s and 0s through a level one dungeon. Fire people if they have three or more bad quirks. If they have poo poo like won't pray it really doesn't matter.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That only applies to low level dudes. Once you have a handful of higher level ones, you can alternate them going into the Sanitarium for quirk removal and send the second group into the dungeons. As it stands every single one of my 4 or higher guys are rolling with no major negative quirks, they all have poo poo like won't pray, won't drink, etc. The important thing to remember is you don't have to open every book, sarcophagus, or dining table you come across without the proper tools to cleanse them. Doing otherwise is a good way to get your guys maxed out on negative quirks in no time. If one of your team has Curious or Compulsive, throw them into the Sanitarium and get that poo poo off them, they are among the worst quirks.

My standard loadout for dungeon runs are: 12 food + another stack per Firewood, a stack of torches + another stack per firewood if I have solar gear, no torches if I have moon gear/no solar or moon gear, 1-2 shovels, 2-3 herbs and holy waters depending on which area I'm entering, no bandages or antivenoms ever

Food is useful if it heals 2+ points of damage per use, otherwise I don't bother unless they're on death's door just to get them off it. I always overload on food for emergencies and to have feasts during camps for the extra heal and stress relief. Nowadays it's rare that my guys ever exit a dungeon run with more than 2 pips of stress, most of the time they're out of there with zero stress across the board thanks to incredible amounts of crits.

The group I've been running with right now to level them up is Vestal/Plague Doctor/Leper/Jester, Jester does 6 damage per Solo hit, 13-15 on crits or Dirk Stabs vulnerable Cultist Sorceresses/Bone Royalty in the back if I get the chance, Leper debuffs with Intimidate or Hews, Plague Doctor uses her rear stun attack if there's two soft targets back there, Vestal opens with Radiant Light for stuns. Most of the time I can pull off stunning half or three quarters of the enemy party, if there's a large target in the group, oftentimes I can get all of them stunned. Put double dodge trinkets(the rare dodge cape and a solar cape) on the Plague Doctor giving her a base dodge of around 60, she got hit twice through an entire long length dungeon run.

Time_pants posted:

Ah man. I just beat the last boss of the content available so far. That sucks because I love this game and don't want it to end. I hope they release the Cove soon, otherwise my LP is about to become (even more) boring... and this time it isn't even my fault!!

I'm just leveling up dudes to rank 6 who I haven't really used yet, it put a bit of life back into the game.

If you're doing an LP of an unfinished game I don't know why you didn't plan for when you eventually ran out of content.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 1, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Time_pants posted:

Link to your LP please? I'm doing one on RPG net, but would like to see someone else's :)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

sector_corrector posted:

Well sort of you of, you are basically trying to carefully build a dream team the first few weeks.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

And even then things like your Crusader getting cooked then Deathblowed happens.

Love no-one.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're doing an LP of an unfinished game I don't know why you didn't plan for when you eventually ran out of content.
If you are doing reader input for things such as party makeup and hamlet upgrades then LPing is like another handicap playthrough

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
I've very strongly considered doing an LP of this game with a ruleset designed to engage people. Here's my notes on the subject so far (meta-notes are in italics):

• Each hero can be adopted/owned by a player
  • Unowned heroes are considered owned by the estate/LPer (hopefully only Dismas and Reynault will be like this)
  • Up until level 3, heroes are allowed to form ad-hoc groups to adventure with. At level 3 they have to join a regular party.
  • Each hero has their own supply of gold, tracked in a spreadsheet. They are not allowed to spend money at training/stress relief/sanitarium that they do not have. Heroes arrive broke.
  • Trinkets in the loot chest may be claimed by any hero at any time, for free. In the case of a party recovering it from a dungeon, the heroes of the party have first refusal rights to the trinket.
  • Trinkets bought from the caravan must have a single buying hero, who must be able to afford the trinket through his/her own resources.
  • Players may give money to other heroes freely. Quid pro quo is not just allowed but encouraged.
  • Players may lobby the estate for money for stuff. Trinkets come immediately to mind.
  • Players may lobby the estate to upgrade certain buildings. The estate is perfectly within its rights to demand promises or compensation in return for caving to the players' demands.
  • The LPer may give grants to players freely with the gold it owns. Quid pro quo in terms of thread contributions (in terms of fluff writing or fan art) is probably going to happen.
  • Expeditions are the estate's prerogative. If I say we're going after a boss, we are going after a boss. Players can lobby for something specific but I am under no compunction to listen.
  • Heroes get money by going on expeditions. Net cash inflow is 22.5% per adventurer, 10% to the estate/LPer (TBD: should the quest reward monies be included in this? Or should they go direct to the estate, with recovered loot being 25% apiece?)
  • The expedition team is drawn from volunteers, with a draft from the estate if nobody steps forward.
  • All expeditions must have a designated leader. Leaders determine answers to questions that arise as part of an expedition, such as:
    • Provisions (funds drawn equally from aggregate party gold, or grant from estate)
    • Retreat policy (both combat and mission)
    • Combat doctrine (Soft targets first/big guys first/stress inducers first/etc)
    • Curio doctrine (Disarm all curios/save [resource] for [specific curio])
    • Loot doctrine (Gold over heirlooms, heirlooms over gold, never throw away more than x food, etc)
    • In parties, leaders will be less important as it's expected the whole party will have discussed and talked approved it
    • Some house rules might need to be imported here if people are too cowardly about retreat policies or something. No retreating until at least someone hits DD? Dunno
    • Probably need some defined defaults here for the low level guys. Ad-hoc dudes aren't necessarily gonna get their poo poo together on all of these questions.
  • Players owning dead heroes can claim another hero. Nothing carries over.
  • Gold owned by dead heroes is inherited by the estate.
  • Heroes are generally considered to only have the skills they have on their skill bar. If they choose to change their skill bar, they not only must pay the gold cost to the guild, they must also sit out for one week per skill to retrain (kinda as per a Sanitarium visit).
  • The game ends when we win it or all remaining players vote to abandon the estate.

Basically this encourages a ton of social interaction with readers and also cuts WAAAYYY back on some of the cheesiest things you can do to create an A-team, like meat grindering a bunch of rookies to pull yourself out of a hole. Me calling missions also means that I can and probably will order an assault on bosses as soon as they're available and feasible, to prevent stalling until someone's completely decked out and as powerful as they can be before rolling up and chumping the boss. A really exceptional set of participants that are making GBS threads out great fluff and fanart could still become a lot more powerful by continuously lobbying me for better weapons and poo poo but honestly if someone's impressing me that much they deserve to be ballers in the game, I feel. It also gives people a reason to give a poo poo about the characters and overlays the fact that watching this game can get pretty loving dull after a while. I never get tired of playing it, but watching it I just can't imagine.

In addition to the obvious one of there being no way to win right now (presumably that will change when the Darkest Dungeon is released), I still have a couple of questions there. Hopefully when this game gets out of EA and gets a victory condition (or it's plausible to invent one) I'll have the time to actually do this.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 1, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I definitely think this could be a great LP game but I'd wait until its out of early access for sure. I mean there's still the potential for a lot of balance and mechanics changes so even all those helpful guides might become outdated before the game is released.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Internet Kraken posted:

I definitely think this could be a great LP game but I'd wait until its out of early access for sure. I mean there's still the potential for a lot of balance and mechanics changes so even all those helpful guides might become outdated before the game is released.
There's a lot of great potential in an LP for weaving a story and personalization for each of the characters around all the quirks. We've already heard a lot of tales in this thread about the heroic exploits and tragedies that have befallen everyone's Dismases and Reynaulds.

A good article about the quirk and stress systems in Darkest Dungeon was linked from Rock Paper Shotgun today:

quote:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/02/a-burnt-torch-darkest-dungeon-mental-health-and-lo.html

Said plainly, good Darkest Dungeon players are good middle managers. Or (since this is Lovecraftian horror, after all) good villains. If this were a game of Call of Cthulhu, you’d be the antagonist—the fallen aristocrat so thirsty to recover his family’s power that he sacrifices the lives of dozens to unearth terrible, terrible things.
He's referring to the Call of Cthulhu board game there.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

What's it mean when one of my guys in town is greyed out and has a question mark next to them? I'd put them in the Abbey a couple weeks ago for stress relief, and they're not in there anymore but haven't been accessible for two weeks in a row now.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

EvilCornbread posted:

What's it mean when one of my guys in town is greyed out and has a question mark next to them? I'd put them in the Abbey a couple weeks ago for stress relief, and they're not in there anymore but haven't been accessible for two weeks in a row now.

They're on a personal quest. Sometimes gambling heroes will disappear to a private game (for a week :confused:) or praying heroes will go on a sabbatical or whatever. Check your adventure log to figure out what happened. Your hero will come back soon.

Lysator
Mar 1, 2015
I played the game for around two hours and I am not really sure if I should continue playing or wait till full release. I am afraid of getting burned out too fast. Do you think the experience of the finished game will be even better than now?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Sounds like a cross between LP and PbP, pretty cool!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Lysator posted:

I played the game for around two hours and I am not really sure if I should continue playing or wait till full release. I am afraid of getting burned out too fast. Do you think the experience of the finished game will be even better than now?

I honestly don't like playing for more than two or three dungeons in a sitting. I don't really feel like I'm burned out but I get sloppy or overconfident and make stupid mistakes.

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

They're on a personal quest. Sometimes gambling heroes will disappear to a private game (for a week :confused:) or praying heroes will go on a sabbatical or whatever. Check your adventure log to figure out what happened. Your hero will come back soon.
Aha yeah -- "left in search of a holy vision". Hope he found what he was looking for.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I did, but I don't have to like it!

Angrymog posted:

Link to your LP please? I'm doing one on RPG net, but would like to see someone else's :)

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhOAMjyyaAjZ712Pfwof5tQ46H-Erprnb

I'll warn you now that the commentary isn't great for the first couple of episodes (it's the first LP I've ever done) but I think I improve a fair bit pretty quickly shortly thereafter.

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 2, 2015

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Lysator posted:

There will be so many new classes come release that I'm not really afraid of getting burned out once I finish leveling every class to rank 6 and quitting until release. There's supposed to be between 4-6 new classes by release plus two new dungeons, which is quite a lot.

Even so, if you do get burned out, you'll probably have put over a dozen hours into it by then. For a 20 dollar game, that's quite a decent chunk of time. :can:

For what it's worth, I've put a good 40 hours into the game(my playtime says 60+ or something but I keep leaving it idle and alt tabbing which cranks that up), I've found it's a great game to pop on for 10-15 minutes at a time and play a few rooms of.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Recently I was able to try this on a Win8 tablet... it almost works as-is, but there is no rightclick so you cannot check stats or scroll the map.

The autosave would make this a decent portable timewaster.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Captain Invictus posted:

For what it's worth, I've put a good 40 hours into the game(my playtime says 60+ or something but I keep leaving it idle and alt tabbing which cranks that up), I've found it's a great game to pop on for 10-15 minutes at a time and play a few rooms of.
Same here, and I've just barely beat the bosses that are currently in the game, and have only leveled a couple classes up to 6. This has a ton of replay value and content for a game so recently in Early Access.

With two new dungeons and the new heroes that are going to be added, I'm not too worried about getting tired of it. I don't play for long stretches of a time at this point either, but there's still plenty to do.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Chard posted:

I honestly don't like playing for more than two or three dungeons in a sitting. I don't really feel like I'm burned out but I get sloppy or overconfident and make stupid mistakes.

Yep this is how I play too. The game is great for playing in short bursts. Especially since after a dungeon, you can throw your dudes in stress relievers or whatever, and then leave and then later come back and you're ready to go with a new group on another dungeon run. For how hardcore the game likes to present itself, it's actually pretty casual friendly.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Nice, not only did the Mac update fix the double quirk bug but it also made the game run silky smooth. A++ patch, would download again.

Kurash
May 12, 2008

The biggest tip I can give a new player is to be absolutely ruthless when it comes to kicking dudes out of your party. Even when considering quirks, you will need at least 2 of the really really good ones for that to make a difference; the vast majority are filler and are even more worthless considering you'll fill out on quirks eventually and then they get replaced at random. When it comes to stress, realize that 70+ stress is a death sentence for low-level party members if they aren't your only Vestal/Occultist. It's just not worth the gold.

Speaking of which, pretty much every building in town can be huuuuge money sinks early if you consider your dudes irreplaceable. Only spend money to keep your healer around until you have a set 'A' team and then start upgrading your skills and equipment.

e: This may be contrary to how some people might feel and the 'spirit' of the game, but Darkest Dungeon is mostly 'Dungeon Party Manager'. You can get pretty far ahead of the curve if you treat your party-members as tools to be used and discarded.

Kurash fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Here's a challenge mode I'm trying - you're only allowed one of each class at a time, and you can't sack them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I never felt the need to kick people out just for getting high stress at any point in the game. I'm a big softie that doesn't like to let anyone ever die/get fired though.

Angrymog posted:

Here's a challenge mode I'm trying - you're only allowed one of each class at a time, and you can't sack them.

I'm probably gonna try something like that once more classes are added, though I still see the RNG being a problem if it decides your stage coach should be filled with nothing but plague doctors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Internet Kraken posted:

I never felt the need to kick people out just for getting high stress at any point in the game. I'm a big softie that doesn't like to let anyone ever die/get fired though.

I'm probably gonna try something like that once more classes are added, though I still see the RNG being a problem if it decides your stage coach should be filled with nothing but plague doctors.

The annual PlagueCon was always held at this estate, deal with it :colbert: