Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

It couldn't be any worse then jetronic wiring, which I still have nightmares about. Its in incredible shape for its age and I really want to justify being able to buy it but the reality is it would just be an overweight underpowered alternative to my Scirocco. I think the US specs were something like 2,800lbs and 85hp.

I think you should absolutely buy it, then come by and we can get tiny cappuccinos and adopt hilariously bad Italian accents when we call AMA for a tow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Multi-vehicle ATF instead of ATF-4 in a Chrysler transmission in Alberta... It is going to be too thick or too thin when it's really cold out ? Amsoil says their Multi Vehicle ATF works for ATF-4 requirements until -40 and then cant meet spec.

Ahh gently caress it it's -40 like 3 times a year.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's a chrysler transmission, you could put pure baby oil from fresh squished babies, and it's still gonna snap in half by 100k.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

It's a chrysler transmission, you could put pure baby oil from fresh squished babies, and it's still gonna snap in half by 100k.

I know. And that worries me because im at 162k now. Brother's 300c just poo poo the bed at 110k.

I'm getting some odd behaviour from it when cold, so I'm going to flush it over the grease pit and add some of that Lucas trans fix poo poo. Maybe that will prolong it a bit. Then it's LS swap and 6 speed auto time. Or maybe hemi vvti... but eventually I'd like to ebay turbo it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ex-cop tauruses starting to hit the auctions. most are AWD/cyclone with column shift, if they were the ecboost it would be a perfect car

so much room for leg activities.

I also saw a hellaflush EG hatch with a fart cannon rolling around the grocery store parking lot in neutral reving like an idiot. I don't know how the gently caress. There are a couple potholes on 67th that run right across, you can't avoid them. most roads have hidden potholes that wreck your poo poo with normal cars. one last year bent the rim on my bmw winters that have as tall of a sidewall as you can fit on the E39.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

ex-cop tauruses starting to hit the auctions. most are AWD/cyclone with column shift, if they were the ecboost it would be a perfect car

so much room for leg activities.

I also saw a hellaflush EG hatch with a fart cannon rolling around the grocery store parking lot in neutral reving like an idiot. I don't know how the gently caress. There are a couple potholes on 67th that run right across, you can't avoid them. most roads have hidden potholes that wreck your poo poo with normal cars. one last year bent the rim on my bmw winters that have as tall of a sidewall as you can fit on the E39.

What are they going for ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I didn't see, but i'm guessing around 3-5 grand with 150k.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That's a better deal than Crown Vics.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Powershift posted:

I didn't see, but i'm guessing around 3-5 grand with 150k.

Which auction ? RB ?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Michener allen. They usually get added last minute. It's a shame ford even ever offered the non-turbo as an option. It would be pretty awesome to see $5k taurus SHOs everywhere.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think you should absolutely buy it, then come by and we can get tiny cappuccinos and adopt hilariously bad Italian accents when we call AMA for a tow.

This is exactly the kind of scenario I envision if I bought that Lancia. That and girls fawning over me as I pull up in it.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

SlimManFat posted:

As a Newfoundlander, am I welcome to fly up to Alberta, take your jobs, and drive obscenely lifted mall crawler Denalis and King Ranches with oilsand money?

Seems to be the thing to do these days.

All that oil sands money has dried up these days. All the fancy toys are selling for super cheap because people can't afford their payments anymore. You're more than welcome to come and try though.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Matt18001 posted:

All that oil sands money has dried up these days. All the fancy toys are selling for super cheap because people can't afford their payments anymore. You're more than welcome to come and try though.

The life of a Newfie: Can't hold job as Walmart greeter in a province that has no work. Books flight with Capital One mastercard to Alberta, gets hired on, skips from job to job making $10,000 per month, rents a single bedroom, somehow is broke at the end of each month. Shops for things by the bi-weekly payments. Has a sled, an ATV, A lifted diesel truck fitted out with every cheesy accessory from Newfie Speed & Sport (Canadian Tire). Don't forget the "East Coast Lifestyle" sticker.

Then the price of oil tanks, and the Newfie is now making $2500 a month and has $8500 in payments, a cocaine habit and a child with a Welfare queen. Time to head back to Newfoundland claiming he "misses the sea" and ignore debt collectors for the next 6 years.

Rinse repeat.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
On a side note, the Newfies are some of the nicest people I have ever met, and they certainly work hard. Can't understand them once they're drunk.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I saw a truck with a sticker the the shape of newfoundland filled in with the mexican flag.

I don't know what the gently caress.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Maybe it was an Irish flag?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jamal posted:

Maybe it was an Irish flag?

No, it was definitely mexico. Had the bird and the cactus and all that. The truck had stick-on chrome fender vents too, which further supports that hypothesis.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jonathan posted:

The life of a Newfie: Can't hold job as Walmart greeter in a province that has no work. Books flight with Capital One mastercard to Alberta, gets hired on, skips from job to job making $10,000 per month, rents a single bedroom, somehow is broke at the end of each month. Shops for things by the bi-weekly payments. Has a sled, an ATV, A lifted diesel truck fitted out with every cheesy accessory from Newfie Speed & Sport (Canadian Tire). Don't forget the "East Coast Lifestyle" sticker.

Then the price of oil tanks, and the Newfie is now making $2500 a month and has $8500 in payments, a cocaine habit and a child with a Welfare queen. Time to head back to Newfoundland claiming he "misses the sea" and ignore debt collectors for the next 6 years.

Rinse repeat.

Sounds about right.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

Powershift posted:

I saw a truck with a sticker the the shape of newfoundland filled in with the mexican flag.

I don't know what the gently caress.

I'm trying to imagine what a Mexico/Newfie accent would sound like.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Matt18001 posted:

I'm trying to imagine what a Mexico/Newfie accent would sound like.

Horrible.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Senõr, would ya like some fish 'n brewz?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

jonathan posted:

Rinse repeat.
Sounds just as easily like an Alberta high school dropout, with the exception of moving back. Although you could replace "head back to Newfoundland" with "head back to the trailer park"

Powershift posted:

No, it was definitely mexico. Had the bird and the cactus and all that. The truck had stick-on chrome fender vents too, which further supports that hypothesis.
There are tons of Mexicans in Southern Alberta, although generally Menonites, possible one married a newfie? :shrug:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 2, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

There are tons of Mexicans in Southern Alberta, although generally Menonites, possible one married a newfie? :shrug:

Aren't Mennonites primarily German? How did the Mexicans get involved?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Originally yes, but there has been a large population from Mexico (even Belize) that come to Canada. Probably more accurate as "back to Canada" as I think most of them originally moved there from Canada orginally after WW1.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

From canpol:

HookShot posted:

The BC government is going to pass a law allowing cops to ticket people going slow in the fast lane on highways.

Come on Alberta.

E: unless there already is one. I've never looked. :v:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Originally yes, but there has been a large population from Mexico (even Belize) that come to Canada. Probably more accurate as "back to Canada" as I think most of them originally moved there from Canada orginally after WW1.

The Mexican Mennonites are all white and intermarry with Mennonite colonies in Canada regularly.

They're also the most dishonest group of people when dealing with Law Enforcement I've ever met. :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

El Scotch posted:

From canpol:

Come on Alberta.

In alberta we're allowed to shoot em :colbert:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Going to look at a way overpriced 3/4 ton in Monterey park tonight. Shame I forgot my stab proof jacket.

Mourn for me if I don't report back.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

El Scotch posted:

From canpol:

Come on Alberta.

While I applaud this effort, it does nothing to address the much larger issue at play here; driving while British Columbian.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't understand how people with BC plates don't know how to drive down mountains. How does a prairie boy know to engine brake or at least space out braking events, while a BC plate car will be holding up a line of cars roasting their brakes down the entire descent?

Like dayum, what the hell?

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Bajaha posted:

I don't understand how people with BC plates don't know how to drive down mountains. How does a prairie boy know to engine brake or at least space out braking events, while a BC plate car will be holding up a line of cars roasting their brakes down the entire descent?

Like dayum, what the hell?

Half of BC's population is in the Lower Mainland, so a good percentage have no regular experience in mountain/real winter driving

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

neckbeard posted:

Half of BC's population is in the Lower Mainland, so a good percentage have no regular experience in mountain/real winter driving

This. When I lived in Vancouver I got a special shot of schadenfreude whenever it snowed, watching idiots spin and crash all over the city.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Curious if anybody has any ideas for careers for a guy with an accounting degree and zero desire to go into that field. I'm currently an underwriter for an insurance company and miserable as its just more pushing numbers around. Looking for something more interesting in an industry that actually produces a tangible product or service.

Really don't want to derail the thread and sort of embarrassed asking this anyways so feel free to PM me if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Slung Blade posted:

Going to look at a way overpriced 3/4 ton in Monterey park tonight. Shame I forgot my stab proof jacket.

Mourn for me if I don't report back.

Dude's asking 9500 for a truck worth maybe five. Won't take less than 7500. Think I gotta pass on this one. Guy seemed pleasant and reasonable though.

Matt18001
Feb 28, 2015

ExecuDork posted:

This. When I lived in Vancouver I got a special shot of schadenfreude whenever it snowed, watching idiots spin and crash all over the city.

I live in Yellowknife and this still happens even though it's snowy and/or icy 7-8 months of the year.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edmonton/running-driving-stopping-old-70-galaxie-ragtop/1054354908?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

it would be a pretty bad idea to buy this solely for the purpose of driving it to BC for an extended camping/road trip, right? right?

edit: nnnnnggghhhh and there's like three Lincoln Continentals near me for less than two grand. always wanted a huge V8 car, just for kicks. my sidewalk parking spot was looking kind of empty anyway.

Frank Dillinger fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 4, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

When I lived there and it snowed I literally walked to work as it was faster than driving the 3-4 miles.

1500quidporsche posted:

Curious if anybody has any ideas for careers for a guy with an accounting degree and zero desire to go into that field. I'm currently an underwriter for an insurance company and miserable as its just more pushing numbers around. Looking for something more interesting in an industry that actually produces a tangible product or service.

Really don't want to derail the thread and sort of embarrassed asking this anyways so feel free to PM me if you have any ideas or suggestions.

I remember you talking about this before. I guess it would help if you narrow it down somewhat. Do you want to work with your hands? An office job? Work outside? Do you want to go back to school? 8-5? Shiftwork?

Browse, see if anything floats your boat and if your degree is enough for the prerequisite education requirements.

https://jobs.alberta.ca/jobs-dynamic.html

http://orae-jest.cfp-psc.gc.ca/JEST-ORAE/qcksrch.do?lang=en#res

http://jobsearch.monster.ca/jobs/?cy=ca&where=alberta

Join the Army

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1988-rolls-royce-silver-spur/1054958414

looks like it's going unreserved this saturday.

you know you want it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

I remember you talking about this before. I guess it would help if you narrow it down somewhat. Do you want to work with your hands? An office job? Work outside? Do you want to go back to school? 8-5? Shiftwork?

I'm pretty open to working with my hands but could go either way. Going back to school is out of the question as I despised university the first go round, ended up switching majors twice and then just said gently caress it let's finish up which is why I ended up with an accounting degree. I'm pretty open in terms of hours so long as I'm not working weekends on a consistent basis. I honestly have no loving clue what I want but it would be nice to get into something with some potential career growth.

slidebite posted:

Join the Army

That would end badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

That would end badly.

After getting lost during a co-operative training mission in southern russia, canada has seemingly entered war with Georgia, already taking control of it's capital.......Atlanta.