Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Potsticker posted:

Haha, I was going to mention him as a much better "exception." :v:

I do wonder why they never really upgrade a member of the supporting cast. The biggest exception I can think of is Kabuto, where Kagami is certainly a major character and even arguably the main protagonist, but becomes the secondary rider later.

Gaim too, I guess.

What do you mean by upgrade? Because if we're talking the 6+ Sentai member, lots received upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah, Ryuki. I totally forgot that started with two Riders right from the get go too. I still haven't finished that show. We were watching it alongside Dragon Knight and once the episodes lost parity with the footage they used, we dropped DK and slowly spiraled out of watching Ryuki. The plot wasn't grabbing me and my watching partner dislikes shows that "look old." I can't even get him to watch Jetman if only to see how different the show was from the stuff we watch as it airs.

Tae posted:

What do you mean by upgrade? Because if we're talking the 6+ Sentai member, lots received upgrades.

Upgrade as in going from a secondary cast member to a full team member. So like in Kyoryugers, Utsusemimaru is the only one that counts as a "sixth" since he's added in to the normal lineup, while the others are all "extra" rangers. They show up for a couple episodes here and there, but they don't become part of the core team.

In ToQger it's Akira, obviously. Go-Busters had Jin and J both as Sixths. Gokai Silver was Gai.

Anyway, the point is that Sixth Rangers and Secondary Riders seem to usually just come out of thin air. We don't see them as characters until they show up as, or ready to become, whatever hero. Now I haven't seen a whole lot of pre-Gokaiger sentai, so maybe there are some good examples otherwise. But with modern Rider it's certainly "a thing." Cliff Racer's comment above about OOOs sort of skips the fact that Date is the one introduced as Birth and who has the mantle for the majority of the series. Goto growing into Birth is one of the really great parts of that series, but it's hardly the norm. In Wizard for example Beast isn't going to be Shunpei or Rinko, Nitou shows up. Fourze had a nice big cast, but Meteor is a new kid. When Accel shows up in W, Diend in Decade, Zeronos in Den-O. Drive has a pretty sizable cast like Fourze, and again Mach is someone never seen before who shows up.

Gaim, again, is the big exception. Kaito is there from the get go and it takes a couple episodes before he gets his belt and becomes Baron.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Potsticker is talking about supporting characters in Sentai/Rider shows that never become part of the team. In ToQger for example, the conductor and Wagon were supporting characters, but never became ToQgers (Ticket did become ToQ #6 as a joke once but that doesn't really count). It's pretty rare that an established character becomes a Sentai member, Torin and Doggie Kruger are the two mentioned exceptions, but usually the sixth and extra rangers are completely new characters instead of being someone already in the series. So it would be nice if Takaharu's dad was going to be the sixth Ninninger, but judging from past Sentai series, it'll probably just be some new guy, just like how Jii from Shinkenger didn't become ShinkenGold, or any of the EMC team in Go-Busters became Beet Buster.

edit: Beaten. The only other example I can think of of an established character becoming a new team member is Hyuuga from Gingaman, he gets chosen to be Ginga Red originally but gets swallowed up by a crack, and later shows up with the Black Knight power.

There's also Asuka from Abaranger I guess, but I don't think he really qualifies since he was already established as a team member from the start, he just had lost the ability to transform.

Twelve by Pies fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 26, 2015

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If anyone knows or at least has a plausible theory on why that's so prevalent, I'd love to hear it.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Potsticker posted:

If anyone knows or at least has a plausible theory on why that's so prevalent, I'd love to hear it.

Because they tend to do things the same way each year. Early on there was at least some rivalry between the sixths and the main team in those first few seasons, from there it just became tradition. How is that they (with two exceptions) never had an orange ranger? Tradition.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cliff Racer posted:

Because they tend to do things the same way each year. Early on there was at least some rivalry between the sixths and the main team in those first few seasons, from there it just became tradition. How is that they (with two exceptions) never had an orange ranger? Tradition.

Which was the other orange? :confused:

Deka Swan?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

deadly_pudding posted:

Which was the other orange? :confused:

Deka Swan?

Battle Cossack

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

Battle Cossack

Though you could possibly make a case for Swan as well seeing as there's more orange on the costume then white.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Blaze Dragon posted:

Battle Cossack

Pretty obviously a red.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Light Gun Man posted:

Pretty obviously a red.

:golfclap:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Stallion Cabana posted:

Even though he's been shown, that's why I want him to be Cowboy Ninja. He's a cool dude and seems to occupy a weird space where he's not quite a 'mentor' but not quite not; because the Mentor is Grandpa.

Kind of like, say, Daggeron.

You. I like you. Let's be friends!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just finished the 4th disc of Zyuranger...goddamn I'm so very happy that I will never ever ever see a not-good-Dragon Shield on this set. Also...do dora dora do do do do dora....its too drat catchy.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm curious. Is Zyuranger the only time that the evil forces in a Super Sentai have been led by a female villain instead of a male one?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Dexie posted:

I'm curious. Is Zyuranger the only time that the evil forces in a Super Sentai have been led by a female villain instead of a male one?

Oh no, no no. Queen Hedrian was the leader of the evil forces of Denziman and she made a reappearance in the following season of Sun Vulcan. Funny story, same actress as Bandora and Rita! (She did some american work too, how cool is that?)

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 27, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dexie posted:

There was also Queen Hedrian from Denjiman(Who, coincidentally enough, was played by the same actress who played Bandora, Machiko Soga), Grandiene from GoGoV, Lije from Abaranger(sort of, the main villian used her as a mouth peice for a good chunk of the series), and though it's not a part of the main sentai series, Malshina from Akibaranger.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Feb 27, 2015

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dexie posted:

Malshina! :v:
Yeah technically it was that Showa guy that showed up out of nowhere, but come on.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Oh wow, I'm a moron. I'm sitting here listening to the Akibaranger cover songs from season 2 and didn't even think of Malshina. :doh:

I guess it's safe to say though that Dora is the most well-known of the group then. Still, it's pretty cool that there's others.

Vandar fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 27, 2015

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if Power Rangers has more leading female villains than Sentai, considering that.

They have Rita, Divatox, Astronema, Trakeena and Queen Banshera that I can think of off the top of my head.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Dexie posted:

Oh wow, I'm a moron. I'm sitting here listening to the Akibaranger cover songs from season 2 and didn't even think of Malshina. :doh:

She is unofficial, after all.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
If you count Astronema you can count Camille, Elsa, and Morgana too.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Astronema was the main villain through much of the , the others you mentioned were just generals.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah you'd have a better chance trying to sell Queen Machiena as the big bad of Zeo. While technically Astronema served under Dark Spectre, so did literally everyone else, and he was never really an enemy of the Rangers- way too big and way too distant for that.

I'm actually kind of sad we haven't gotten more woman main villains in the franchise since the 90s. I wonder what's with the drop off.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
That female head in a sheet looks like it might be the main villain in Fiveman, though obviously the guy who is an actual guy is the one who does stuff. Also I've only seen the translated portion so who knows if she'll ever actually show up or be replaced with someone else or whatever.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, and an unrelated double post since I know other people used to listen in. Lynxara (and Matt) have another Low Visibility podcast up. Its all about last year's Godzilla movie which is sort of Tokusatsu, I guess. They are promising monthly podcasts from here on in but, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Oh yeah, and an unrelated double post since I know other people used to listen in. Lynxara (and Matt) have another Low Visibility podcast up. Its all about last year's Godzilla movie which is sort of Tokusatsu, I guess. They are promising monthly podcasts from here on in but, yeah, I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh shiiiit. I need to go give that a listen then.

I was wondering if they had stopped the podcast for good or not.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Holy poo poo

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Doesn't actually change into an arm though.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
Welp, here's Drive Type Formula.

Boy, does it look retarded. Honestly, I feel each new form has just gotten increasingly worse.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Gotenks0053 posted:

Welp, here's Drive Type Formula.

Boy, does it look retarded. Honestly, I feel each new form has just gotten increasingly worse.

Eh it's fine. I love the Shades it has.

Can't wait for the final form where Drive just becomes a big walking human sized Trideron

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The only problem I have with that suit is that the chest bit sticks out too far maybe. If it was shorter it would probably be perfect. I love the stupid little tires around his arms.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
It's retarded and I love it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like it a lot more than Type Deadheat. The stickers all around make it look perfectly like what it's meant to be, a formula car, and it just looks gloriously silly. The helmet is the only thing that kind of irks me, it stands out too much, but I can ignore it because the rest of the form is great.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Cernunnos posted:

The only problem I have with that suit is that the chest bit sticks out too far maybe. If it was shorter it would probably be perfect. I love the stupid little tires around his arms.
The toy version makes the chestplate and tires smaller and it does look a lot better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Blaze Dragon posted:

I like it a lot more than Type Deadheat. The stickers all around make it look perfectly like what it's meant to be, a formula car, and it just looks gloriously silly. The helmet is the only thing that kind of irks me, it stands out too much, but I can ignore it because the rest of the form is great.
My feelings pretty much exactly. The yellow stands out too much from the blue.
No matter what, still less stupid looking than Type Technique.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Medic actually did stuff in this week's episode of Drive. Surprising I know.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

e: Welp. That didn't work.

Pinwiz11 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 1, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Pinwiz11 posted:

The Ninninger Op:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22qaO7HuZAw

I love the shot of everyone riding their robots.
Wow, they blocked that really loving quickly.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Poison Mushroom posted:

Wow, they blocked that really loving quickly.

Really? I had set it to unlisted. Ah well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TOEI blocks poo poo on YouTube faster than even Studio Ghibli.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Try Vimeo
edit: or this, someone snuck it onto dailymotion:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2iddqf

Cricken_Nigfops fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 1, 2015

• Locked thread