Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

I'm noticing a good number of Windows phones (and I think a few Surface Pro 3s) in the latest season of House of Cards. I seem to recall seeing Apple gear in use in earlier seasons, so it seems like Microsoft is trying to bring in some product placement.

Haven't watched the new season yet, but in previous seasons they were pretty good about diversity in characters' cellphones. Zoe's iPhone featured prominently, but Francis had a Blackberry and I think Jackie Sharp had a Lumia of some type etc etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
What are some reasons to get a windows phone over an iphone? This windows phone has zero useful apps, my bank has apps for android and ios, and itunes is literally the best way to have music.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What are some reasons to get a windows phone over an iphone? This windows phone has zero useful apps, my bank has apps for android and ios, and itunes is literally the best way to have music.

good post

Also iTunes runs like poo poo on Windows

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
I can put itunes on this phone?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

and itunes is literally the best way to have music.

I like you. You're pretty funny.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TopherCStone posted:

I'm noticing a good number of Windows phones (and I think a few Surface Pro 3s) in the latest season of House of Cards. I seem to recall seeing Apple gear in use in earlier seasons, so it seems like Microsoft is trying to bring in some product placement.

Count Grimm season 4 aswell. That tv series was completely dominated then suddenly one of the main characters pulls a bright blue 530 a lot and seems that the others are using windows phone too. Stuff like this is what makes people recognize Microsoft devices instead of "what kind of phone is that?".

Also nice troll post about itunes wich is the worst music app ever made.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Does this work for existing group chats? I'm not seeing any of my current hangouts

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Guillermus posted:

Count Grimm season 4 aswell. That tv series was completely dominated then suddenly one of the main characters pulls a bright blue 530 a lot and seems that the others are using windows phone too. Stuff like this is what makes people recognize Microsoft devices instead of "what kind of phone is that?".

Also nice troll post about itunes wich is the worst music app ever made.

Several seasons of Parks & Rec were actually kind of obnoxious about this, the last one had mostly fake futurephones though

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

loquacius posted:

Haven't watched the new season yet, but in previous seasons they were pretty good about diversity in characters' cellphones. Zoe's iPhone featured prominently, but Francis had a Blackberry and I think Jackie Sharp had a Lumia of some type etc etc etc.

I did notice one Samsung phone, a Macbook, and an iPad or two, so it's still pretty diverse but there were some gratuitous (though not distracting) Windows Phone shots and a few more subtle uses (one character had a white 1020, only really identifiable thanks to that camera part on the back).

furaxu
Oct 23, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Does this work for existing group chats? I'm not seeing any of my current hangouts

Nope, group chats don't work.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

itunes is literally the best way to have music

I was on your side until this part

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

ElGroucho posted:

I was on your side until this part

Real talk what is another way to get a gigantic library of music from one source that can be put onto a myriad of devices?

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Real talk what is another way to get a gigantic library of music from one source that can be put onto a myriad of devices?

Xbox music. Dropbox, OneDrive, and other cloud solutions if you don't have DRM.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What are some reasons to get a windows phone over an iphone?

I'm starting to wonder that myself. The camera button and the back button? Cortana seems better than Siri.

wookieepelt fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 28, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

OneDrive. Google Music.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

What are some reasons to get a windows phone over an iphone?

Masochism

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

MediaMonkey.
Amazon Music.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Computer + USB cable + any of the hundreds of music library management programs

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Loving Amazon Music, personally. You go to their website, click "buy this," and you get an MP3 file download. It's so simple.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Are you required to use that lovely clunky Amazon program that's like iTunes but worse

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
You buy the file and you can set the app to download new tracks automatically to whatever folder you want with no input from you. From there, its just an mp3 file that you play with whatever media player you want.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Are you required to use that lovely clunky Amazon program that's like iTunes but worse

That's the best part, you can use literally whatever program you want because it's not iTunes :allears:

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
fantastic, more low end phones that they decided to rebrand again

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

You do know that the only people who make money on flagship phones are Apple?

Samsung, HTC, LG et all loose money on flagships. It's the mid and low end that makes the money and gets the marketshare.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Foxtrot_13 posted:

You do know that the only people who make money on flagship phones are Apple?

Samsung, HTC, LG et all loose money on flagships. It's the mid and low end that makes the money and gets the marketshare.

Uh what? HTC I would maybe agree with because they are a flailing company in general, but there is no way that Samsung and LG lose money on their flagships, that's insane.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Uh what? HTC I would maybe agree with because they are a flailing company in general, but there is no way that Samsung and LG lose money on their flagships, that's insane.

No, see, selling cheap phones with no margin is how you make money, not selling flagship phones that are marked up a ton.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

RVProfootballer posted:

No, see, selling cheap phones with no margin is how you make money, not selling flagship phones that are marked up a ton.

Yeah, at the moment only Samsung and Apple make money at all. Apple makes 93% of all profits from selling phones. Samsung is down to 9%. Yes, this adds up to more than 100% because the rest are basically losing money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is-taking-93-of-the-profits-in-the-smartphone-industry-now-2015-2

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

CalvinandHobbes posted:

Yeah, at the moment only Samsung and Apple make money at all. Apple makes 93% of all profits from selling phones. Samsung is down to 9%. Yes, this adds up to more than 100% because the rest are basically losing money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-is-taking-93-of-the-profits-in-the-smartphone-industry-now-2015-2

What we need to do is convince Apple to make a Windows Phone. That'd be the real shot-in-the-arm this platform needs. :v:

I know that sounded completely nonsensical but honestly I was only MOSTLY joking. With Jobs out of the picture and Google getting bigger and scarier by the day anything's possible. See: Siri performing Bing searches by default.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

loquacius posted:

What we need to do is convince Apple to make a Windows Phone. That'd be the real shot-in-the-arm this platform needs. :v:

I know that sounded completely nonsensical but honestly I was only MOSTLY joking. With Jobs out of the picture and Google getting bigger and scarier by the day anything's possible. See: Siri performing Bing searches by default.

You know what's funny? Samsung's Galaxy S6 will have OneDrive and OneNote preloaded over google's apps. Who knows if we'll get more Samsung phones with windows after that :v:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Inspect Your Gadgets > Windows Phone - At least you don't have to use iTunes

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Wonder how long until the S6 and M9 become "Windows Flagship" devices.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Guillermus posted:

You know what's funny? Samsung's Galaxy S6 will have OneDrive and OneNote preloaded over google's apps. Who knows if we'll get more Samsung phones with windows after that :v:

CubanMissile posted:

Same hardware as Android, same Microsoft services available on Android and iOS, UI getting more and more similar to Android and iOS, but none of those pesky apps you'd be saddled with on Android or iOS: it's Windows Phone! :downsbravo:

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
Now that Google bought softcard and they are dropping support for Windows, how is Microsoft going to compete with Apple Pay and Google wallet? Is it easy for anyone to make an app that communicates with NFC pay stations, or does a major credit card have to sign off on it?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RVProfootballer posted:

Same hardware as Android, same Microsoft services available on Android and iOS

It would be really great to date a day and date similar hardware. The M8 for windows phone was the first real Android Flagship hardware Windows Phone every got, and that was about 6 months after the Android launch.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

CubanMissile posted:

A year after their original launch with the same $199 on contract pricing structure.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Stick100 posted:

It would be really great to date a day and date similar hardware. The M8 for windows phone was the first real Android Flagship hardware Windows Phone every got, and that was about 6 months after the Android launch.

What about the Focus S and Ativ S? Both were based off older Galaxies.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Selling 20 different models of cheap phones with no margin you mean.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
They're really going all in on included services with the 640, meanwhile Outlook on Windows Phone now seems a lot more like Outlook on the iPhone which I guess is just like Accompli used to be.

Excel looks a ton better than it used to.

Also they're releasing a foldable Bluetooth keyboard.

e: Surface Hub looks dope.

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
"Microsoft's director of phone marketing, Neil Broadley, confirmed that the company is waiting on Windows 10 before any new flagship hardware. "We remain completely committed and focused on new flagship products," says Broadley. "That said, certainly we believe the best time to bring those flagship devices to market is when we have our very latest flagship software experience available. “We’re focusing our flagship development for slightly later when Windows 10 is available.""

:suicide:

We all knew it, but having the confirmation is gut wrenching.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I know it''s not customary to say something positive here, but here I go.

My 930 was delivered last Thursday and I've been toying around with it since then.
It's like night and an early summer morning compared to my 710. It's not exactly night and day, but it's great and fills me with joy. The screen is gorgeous, the camera is pretty much what I hoped it would be (though I still need to learn to use it properly) and 8.1 has filled up the holes I had using WP7.8. (finally I can fill my phone with geek sounds again)
Going from holding my 710 to holding a 930 it feels like I swapped a toy for a tool. I could probably kill someone with this thing. :shepface: I just wish the corners weren't quite as sharp, it's not the most comfortable phone to hold but a cover should fix that.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Early price rumors for the 640 were in the range of $300 which would have killed it out of the gate, but at $180 for the LTE and expected ~$150 for the 3G it's actually looking like MS's most competitive mid/budget offering since the 520. Really solid specs and no bizarre omissions like the 635 (all expected sensors).

Obviously not the flagship most want here, but on a pure price/features scale it's actually...impressive? :ohdear:

gently caress, even the name is sensible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly the company has been doing better at everything since Nadella took over. Still not "good" per se (obligatory no-flagship rage :argh:) but better.