Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

zer0spunk posted:

M9
No wireless charging
No OIS

S6
No microsd
Bottom firing speaker

"better not throw all the features everyone wants into one phone, lest we sell too many" - android OEMs

I dunno, I've always considered those HTC speakers a pretty big downside as they're not something I'd ever use and they make the overall footprint of the phone ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

The metal body rather prevents that

Hmm haha yeah I didn't think about that.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

zer0spunk posted:

countdown to lawsuit #2 starts....now..

No USB Type-C?

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

dissss posted:

I dunno, I've always considered those HTC speakers a pretty big downside as they're not something I'd ever use and they make the overall footprint of the phone ridiculous.

The boomsound speakers are amazing. Whenever i get on a bus or train i can share my trance and acid remixes with everyone, and they can all hear it with great clarity and bass, even if they're twelve rows away. this isnt a downside.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

dissss posted:

How do you never use your phone speakers? Not into Speakerphone? Alarms? The phone ringer?

I never thought I'd find someone who would consider moving the speakers to the front of the phone a downside, but alright.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Hace posted:

No USB Type-C?

Nope.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My phone is almost always on silent. About the only thing I want a loud speaker for is for speakerphone, but I rarely use it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

zer0spunk posted:

How do you never use your phone speakers? Not into Speakerphone? Alarms? The phone ringer?

I never thought I'd find someone who would consider moving the speakers to the front of the phone a downside, but alright.

Speakerphone? Absolutely not. If I need handsfree it is because I'm in my car which already has speakers. Likewise if I'm listening to music it would either be through headphones or through my actual stereo. For alarms and the phone ringer any speaker is fine for me - I have my current phone on less than 50% volume anyway and it's way loud enough.

As for the second part it isn't the speaker location itself that is the problem, it's the compromise it causes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
If the Valve partnership that HTC has means that I'll be able stream games from my computer to my phone, I'll probably switch back to them (former M7 and M8 owner). Yes, I know that I can do that already using Nvidia Gamestream and pretty much any Android phone using Limelight (even my old Galaxy Nexus handles it pretty well), but I'd prefer a native solution. And if HTC's headset can provide a "theatre mode" for streamed games in addition to functioning as a VR headset proper I will definitely be ditching my 6 Plus.

And I will say that as an iPhone owner the Galaxy S6 Edge is a very attractive device, and a bit of that does have to do with the visual similarities between the two devices. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the S6 Edge just barely outdoes the iPhone 6--that curved display is very, very good looking.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Are the phone recommendations in the OP still up-to-date? I'm starting to do some phone research for my next purchase and wanted a decent starting point.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

zenintrude posted:

Why do Android phone manufacturers refuse to make phones worth owning smaller than 5"? The M7 at 4.7 is already almost too large for a pocket once it's in a decent case, but these 5" and up phones are just too much. The Evo at 4.3 was a great size and (for the time) quite a powerful device... why are we not seeing more manageable-sized phones with flagship specs? Do they simply need more space for the components and screen size is simply a byproduct?
You want a Sony Z3 Compact.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Man I really hope that we don't have to wait until the next Nexus for that to finally starts getting implemented

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No MicroSD slot or removable battery on the Galaxy S6, makes me feel a-okay about getting my Galaxy S5 in December. The hardware improvements won't matter, and the software will still be the same buggy mess that it always is from Samsung. So not missing anything with the S6.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
But it's got a 577ppi display!!! So many pixels!!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hace posted:

But it's got a 577ppi display!!! So many pixels!!!

Phones are such a gigantic mess right now. It's just about making the numbers slightly higher every year while offering zero actual improvements. For all of the bloatware my S5 has, i've never used any of the features on it. If Samsung really wants to wow their users, release an option update to go pure Android.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I mean yeah there's totally stagnation going on right, but the answer isn't offering stock android because that would only "wow" tech blogs and forums posters.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Phones are such a gigantic mess right now. It's just about making the numbers slightly higher every year while offering zero actual improvements. For all of the bloatware my S5 has, i've never used any of the features on it. If Samsung really wants to wow their users, release an option update to go pure Android.

Not sure exactly how it was actually phrased by Samsung, but I saw on one of the tech site articles that Samsung says they reduced software features by 40% from the S5 to the S6. Which is funny and makes for a nice spec sheet line, but also encouraging in that they actually realize it was a big mess.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Samsung Design Team: Better go back to the drawing board *prints a stencil of an iPhone 6*

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hace posted:

I mean yeah there's totally stagnation going on right, but the answer isn't offering stock android because that would only "wow" tech blogs and forums posters.

Normal people don't use their phone for anything other then texting.

Actually, there's three kind of phone users:
1.) texting only
2.) texting and social media apps
3.) us and other users out there who only want pure android.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

CruJones posted:

I really don't like the protruding camera. I've always liked not needing a case with HTC phones, but this would make me feel like I needed one.

They did have the sense to use a sapphire lens this time instead of the lovely glass on the M7/M8, so scratches shouldn't be too much of a concern.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
S6. No more Qualcomm. This is the start of Tizen, no? Or am I making a baseless assumption? (yes I know Exynos are in all sorts of Samsung products so its nothing new). I was always under the assumption that Qualcomm SoC's were best for LTE connectivity.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hotsauce posted:

S6. No more Qualcomm. This is the start of Tizen, no? Or am I making a baseless assumption? (yes I know Exynos are in all sorts of Samsung products so its nothing new). I was always under the assumption that Qualcomm SoC's were best for LTE connectivity.
Baseless assumption. It's an Exynos chip because the Snapdragon 810 is a pile of poo poo with heat problems.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
New Galaxy's are sexy as gently caress. To bad about the SD card though. Funny that they got rid of them when everyone else added them back.

Samsung supremacy, suck it.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

quote:

none of the wraparound apps created with the Note Edge SDK will work here; you can swipe through notifications and sift through news items, but there isn't much more to things than that. Samsung's main motivation in curving that screen was to make a phone that feels intensely comfortable in your hand

gently caress you Note Edge buyers, yeah, we just said gently caress it after a few months.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
All reports are that the m9's 20mp camera is worse than the rear camera on the m8

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Ragingsheep posted:

All reports are that the m9's 20mp camera is worse than the rear camera on the m8

But the megapixels!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't exactly call it 'Samsung supremacy'. They've made two phones that kind of look more premium, at the cost of several features they've always leaned on as key advantages over the competition. Said phones are still running Touchwiz, and now pair a sealed battery with a screen that has wayyyy too many ppi. I'm anxiously awaiting battery life tests.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Three Olives posted:

gently caress you Note Edge buyers, yeah, we just said gently caress it after a few months.

I asked a friend who works at a Bell store (Verizon/AT&T equivalent) in a wealthy neighbourhood how many Note Edges they've sold and he said one, total. It has a very prominent display/marketing, but no one wants to pay extra for the curve. Note 4s sell like hotcakes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Ragingsheep posted:

As an M8 owner whose principle dissatisfaction is the camera: loving lol

The new Samsungs look pretty ugly. The weird conflux of iPhone ripoff and Samsung design jank just makes it look like a cheap chinese bootleg from a few years ago. It's also super weird they decided to make an "Edge" model without any of the actual edge functionality. Comparing the videos to my experiences using my wife's Note Edge, the S6 Edge is just a pointless cosmetic gimmick as everyone here has suggested. At least the lack of removable battery is gonna shunt off a few more dumb arguments here in the future.

I think it's really silly calling phones right now a gigantic mess, but everything I said come in! mentioned in that post is pretty spot on otherwise. What an unexciting round of releases compared to the past couple of years.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

has wayyyy too many ppi. I'm anxiously awaiting battery life tests.

The Note 4's 2k screen was much better on battery than the Note 3's 1080p screen and looked substantially better as well. There's no reason to suspect the S6 would be any different.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I think the S6/S6 Edge look ok. Not as good as the HTCs (even with their recycled designs) but still reasonable. The features in the S6 sound pretty good too but considering its from Samsung, there's a good chance everything is just half-arsed in its actual implementation.

As for HTC, all they really needed was a solid improvement on the camera and (for me personally) a good fingerprint reader.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We're in an unexciting round of releases because what is there to get excited about anymore?

Seriously though, smartphones are a commodity item now and even a 2013 model runs the latest and greatest without very many issues.

We've reached peak PPI.

SoC's are beyond fast enough.

They've gotten a lot more affordable.

Cameras are good enough for most people.

Most can generally go a day or more without charging.

What else do you really want out of a smartphone beyond an endless myriad of niche customization options?

I'll be interested to see what the battery is like on the S6. That SoC is on a 14nm process so it could possibly be much more power efficient than the 20nm Snapdragon 810.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Just implant a computer in your brain.

iPhone :suicide:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So since the Edge on the S6 is nothing like the edge on the Note 4.... why the hell did they keep two S6 models? The curve doesn't seem to be nearly significant enough to make any practical difference beyond a mild "neat" factor, they really should've just said gently caress it and kept a single curved model.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

bull3964 posted:

We're in an unexciting round of releases because what is there to get excited about anymore?

Seriously though, smartphones are a commodity item now and even a 2013 model runs the latest and greatest without very many issues.

What else do you really want out of a smartphone beyond an endless myriad of niche customization
Refined form factor/styling and better (not necessarily bigger) cameras.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Endless Mike posted:

*runs in*

AHEM without an SD card and removable battery how can I be expected to watch 4 hours of animes every day on the bus?

Personally as a fellow Pure Android Lover I think it makes sense to still have sd cards on cheaper phones k thanks for reading

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ragingsheep posted:

Say it ain't so. poo poo. I was looking forward to upgrading this year, and not to an iPhone 6. What's left for 2015 flagships? LG?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mobby_6kl posted:

So since the Edge on the S6 is nothing like the edge on the Note 4.... why the hell did they keep two S6 models? The curve doesn't seem to be nearly significant enough to make any practical difference beyond a mild "neat" factor, they really should've just said gently caress it and kept a single curved model.
Yes, it's almost like Samsung is flailing with no idea what to do now that Apple has negated their one distinguishing characteristic at the high end while cheap no-name Chinese poo poo eats away everything from the bottom. But if that were true then surely such a bankruptcy of ideas would be accompanied by a precipitous drop in profits which anyone would noti-- oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

enojy posted:

Say it ain't so. poo poo. I was looking forward to upgrading this year, and not to an iPhone 6. What's left for 2015 flagships? LG?

OPO :smug: