Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did he go back to teaching theatre? I think he's a tenured professor, isn't he?
Apparently he's a professor at Rutgers and lives in Princeton. Weird, Avery Brooks probably drives near my house every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Vagabundo posted:

Once you're done with that, read Beowulf which is Harry Kim's favourite book. I recommend the Seamus Heaney translation.

Edit: I forgot about this.

Harry Kim as Beowulf. Just gently caress off.

And what was wrong with Harry Kim as Beowulf? :colbert:

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Brooks would be loving terrifying to have a professor. I feel like he's always 2 seconds away from snapping someone's neck and laughing about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I heard he taped lectures to his classes while in Sisko costume. I would love to see those tapes.

Vagabundo posted:

The Tolkien translation got published recently, but I have no idea if it's any good or not. Mind you, I've tried reading Tolkien before and I just couldn't.
Whatever your feeling on hobbits I gather Tolkien's paying work was basically "studying Beowulf," so if nothing else he is probably definitive.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 1, 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there's not some better translation waiting to be done, but it will never be finished because everyone just reads the Heaney translation.

The Tolkien translation got published recently, but I have no idea if it's any good or not. Mind you, I've tried reading Tolkien before and I just couldn't.

Mister Adequate posted:

And what was wrong with Harry Kim as Beowulf? :colbert:

Harry Kim.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

While I don't know a great deal about this, I've heard Tolkien in his academic career was known for doing a lot to rehabilitate Beowolf in the eyes of scholars.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, he was one of the great scholars of the text. Apparently his translation is closer to the original text than Heaney, but it lacks the flow that Heaney applied to it and ends up feeling more cluttered as a result.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Vagabundo posted:

Yeah, he was one of the great scholars of the text. Apparently his translation is closer to the original text than Heaney, but it lacks the flow that Heaney applied to it and ends up feeling more cluttered as a result.
The translation wasn't intended to be read as a standalone work. It's very literal prose, written mainly as a teaching aid. The bulk of the book is his commentary on it, with a conjectural reconstruction of the pre-Christian version of the story.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Sash! posted:

Sometimes I wonder if there's not some better translation waiting to be done, but it will never be finished because everyone just reads the Heaney translation.

I did a bunch of Beowulf in grad school. People do keep putting out competing translations, and you'll find people who prefer another one, but the general consensus is that the Heaney translation does things pretty well. There are the usual squabbles among academics about how he does this line wrong, or his misses this point, but it's always an irritation and not a damning feature (and for what it's worth they bicker about editions of the Old English text too). As Nothus Infelix said, Heaney also was not an Anglo-Saxonist, but a poet who had read Anglo-Saxon in British College, so many nuances are glossed over in favor of sounding prettier, and we get very literal translations written for teaching purposes.

For the most part, they'll say "If you're a native English speaker who's really into Beowulf, it's not that hard to get a working knowledge of the language and just read it," and in fact there are editions of the poem with running vocab lists in the margin, and you get a different kind of insight than you do from reading the Heaney translation, but like :effort:

What everyone agrees on is that there are many, many worse translations. Andy Orchard (probably the predominant living Beowulf scholar) does an amazing routine on William Morris's bizarrely awful one: http://morrisedition.lib.uiowa.edu/Images/Beowulf98/pageflip1-50.html

It relies a lot on just not actually translating words, so you end up with "And in the merrymound mead-skenking" "they poured mead in the hall" because the text says dream-seala (joy-hall) and uses the verb scencan (to draw out).

One of Tolkien's most lasting contributions was a widely available essay (it gets reprinted in everything; there was a time that I had five separate copies of it on my bookshelf), "The Monsters and the Critics," which offered a comprehensive, big-picture reading of the poem on a textual level. This or less lead directly to the current state of Beowulf studies, because Tolkien encouraged us to go from viewing Beowulf as an epic poem or a king's history (which are things it is not very good at being) to talking about it as an intricate thematic and linguistic puzzle that happens to include some action sequences that are actually thematically difficult and weird.

This is all to say that it is offensively stupid for Harry Kim's favorite book to be Beowulf because it is such a thrilling action-adventure.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or, Beowulf has a lot more character development than Harry Kim does.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Beowulf at least got to die. They didn't even give Harry Kim that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Apoplexy posted:

Well, they sort of did. It's just that no one cares because gently caress Harry Kim.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Apoplexy posted:

Didn't he die, but then come back to life that one time? Or was that just in the Holodeck or a psychic vision or something? It all sort of blurs together.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

betaraywil posted:

For the most part, they'll say "If you're a native English speaker who's really into Beowulf, it's not that hard to get a working knowledge of the language and just read it," and in fact there are editions of the poem with running vocab lists in the margin, and you get a different kind of insight than you do from reading the Heaney translation, but like :effort:

The Beowulf I read in high school had the translation on the even number pages and (I think) Old English on the odd number page. It felt totally wasted on high school level book.

College was the Heaney one, as I confirmed from the copy that is still on my bookshelf all these years later.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

My fiancee and I are going through the Treks together and we've just started Voyager a couple weeks ago. Whilst I'm not actually finding it all that bad, there are two things that are standing out to me;

First, a hell of a lot of episodes so far are doing something like 2spooky :ghost: stuff, time fuckery, :hb:, Chakotay is a ghost, whatever. Those always cropped up now and then in Trek but dang, there's more here than with DS9 and that was a show with ethereal aliens who can explicitly possess people as one of the most important parts of the whole drat thing. Anyway I'm curious as to whether my perception is right and, if so, whether explanations were offered for that. Were they trying to make the Delta Quadrant feel more different and unusual to the stuff we had seen mostly in TNG?

Second, I get the feeling a lot of these episode would rocket from "Yeah it was okay" to "drat that was great" if they'd just had more time to build on things. It really comes home how much of Voyager's lost potential - and I agree totally with the goon who was saying its biggest issue was lost potential a day or two ago - seems to have come from studio constraints that insisted episodes be largely self-contained. There are some genuinely good and interesting ideas in there, like exploring how holo technology can have way more applications than letting Moriarty shut down the ship (Neelix's lungs for instance) but so much of it feels flawed not because of inherent problems with the ideas so much as needing to do a two-parter for something, or to have some issue take place as the B-plot of like three episodes before it came to the fore.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Sash! posted:

The Beowulf I read in high school had the translation on the even number pages and (I think) Old English on the odd number page. It felt totally wasted on high school level book.

College was the Heaney one, as I confirmed from the copy that is still on my bookshelf all these years later.

I've actually got a Heaney with the facing pages, which is a pretty nice book.

I actually at one point had two, for a total of five copies of the poem: a Norton critical (Heaney), a library copy of the Heaney with facing-pages, a second copy of that that my professor gave out to everyone because he'd been assigning that book for so long that he had enough desk copies to give everyone one, a critical edition of the Anglo-Saxon text, and the Anglo-Saxon text with running vocab from when I took a B-wulf class in undergrad.

I've never been clear on whether this is a thing that happens to everyone, or whether it's because there's so little Anglo-Saxon surviving, so we just have to study the hell out of Beowulf.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Mister Adequate posted:

My fiancee and I are going through the Treks together and we've just started Voyager a couple weeks ago. Whilst I'm not actually finding it all that bad, there are two things that are standing out to me;

First, a hell of a lot of episodes so far are doing something like 2spooky :ghost: stuff, time fuckery, :hb:, Chakotay is a ghost, whatever. Those always cropped up now and then in Trek but dang, there's more here than with DS9 and that was a show with ethereal aliens who can explicitly possess people as one of the most important parts of the whole drat thing. Anyway I'm curious as to whether my perception is right and, if so, whether explanations were offered for that. Were they trying to make the Delta Quadrant feel more different and unusual to the stuff we had seen mostly in TNG?
I've never seen that explicitly said anywhere, but to me it seemed like early Voyager definitely tried to make the Delta Quadrant seem a lot different and more exotic than the Alpha/Beta Quadrants. I still remember the first time I watched the episode where they fly into a Vidiian asteroid base set up like a hall of mirrors and thinking how bizarre and almost TOS-like it was. Then there was the feel that Voyager was this state-of-the-art ship surrounded by backwater hicks scrounging for resources, it really was distinct from the shows that had come before. The problem is, they don't keep it up, and by season three it's just plain old TNG-lite. I don't know if that was network meddling or writer burnout or what, but Voyager is the only Trek I consider to get worse after the first two seasons.

quote:

Second, I get the feeling a lot of these episode would rocket from "Yeah it was okay" to "drat that was great" if they'd just had more time to build on things. It really comes home how much of Voyager's lost potential - and I agree totally with the goon who was saying its biggest issue was lost potential a day or two ago - seems to have come from studio constraints that insisted episodes be largely self-contained. There are some genuinely good and interesting ideas in there, like exploring how holo technology can have way more applications than letting Moriarty shut down the ship (Neelix's lungs for instance) but so much of it feels flawed not because of inherent problems with the ideas so much as needing to do a two-parter for something, or to have some issue take place as the B-plot of like three episodes before it came to the fore.
Yep. They also suffer from not thinking things through a lot. Like with the holo-lungs stuff, a Sickbay with the ability to create working holographic organs should be a major medical breakthrough for any time someone comes in with major injuries. Guess how many more times they remember to do that? There's several other examples I could cite, but I don't want to spoil anything for you. You should feel the disappointment fresh like the rest of us.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I think early Voyager was hurt badly by network pressure to keep each episode self-contained - the Kazon, for example, were clearly designed with the idea that they weren't all that dangerous in any one encounter, but being constantly under attack by them would gradually wear the ship down. But then Voyager gets magically repaired between episodes so all you're left with is a recurring enemy that isn't ever actually a threat.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Picking up on Enterprise now that I'm trying to get to sleep, watched the one where Phlox has to hang out with a guy who is mutually racist against him. It didn't really go off, but I like it as a heavy handed scifi morality setup. Meanwhile, trip yelling at the scientists to leave their stupid rocks in the cave was solid.

I can't wait to see what they do with this third sex thing. You think it'll be a travesty somehow?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Wheat Loaf posted:

Didn't he die, but then come back to life that one time? Or was that just in the Holodeck or a psychic vision or something? It all sort of blurs together.

Technically, everything past the season two episode Deadlock is a replacement from another copy of Voyager. He had the most underwhelming and terrible death in that episode, too. I almost miss Aatrek with his animated gifs of terrible and awesome Star Trek moments, because that's definitely one of the better ones.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

betaraywil posted:

I can't wait to see what they do with this third sex thing. You think it'll be a travesty somehow?

The only episode more hammy is the Vulcan Mind Rape / Aids episode.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Apple Jax posted:

My initial reaction to him not going to the funeral was thinking he was just making excuses like he does very often but I can see how (even besides the charity event) it would be hard for him to go for a variety of reasons. Emotions, let me tell you, they're not very logical are they?

When I was young I missed a funeral for a former close friend once, because I didn't really know how to deal with it, and I didn't see how me being there could help or change anything. Dealing with loss is intensely personal.

I think Shatner is getting a little extra scrutiny on this because it was widely reported, possibly in error, that he didn't attend Roddenberry's funeral.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Met posted:

The only episode more hammy is the Vulcan Mind Rape / Aids episode.

Maybe it was the sleepless delirium, but I kind of liked this one. I really appreciated how for just this one time, the alien didn't have any secret agenda or want anything except to make new friends. Even when Archer is like "yeah I need to at least consider this asylum request" the guy is like "well I'm not really in a hurry, so take your time." It was like he was meeting Picard.

A whole lot fell flat (Trip tries to console Archer when he gives his "I'm disappointed in you but not as disappointed as I am in myself for raising you wrong" thing). But as ENT episodes go (and as far as "Ahh Prime Directive" episodes go, for that matter), it was great!

Next one (Archer talks about being a test pilot) put me right to goddam sleep. "Fighting won't bring you any closer to Warp 5!"

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Mister Adequate posted:

Second, I get the feeling a lot of these episode would rocket from "Yeah it was okay" to "drat that was great" if they'd just had more time to build on things. It really comes home how much of Voyager's lost potential - and I agree totally with the goon who was saying its biggest issue was lost potential a day or two ago - seems to have come from studio constraints that insisted episodes be largely self-contained.

Very little of Voyager is offensively bad, ie. "Threshold". The vast bulk of it is "meh". For Star Trek that can be fine. TNG and DS9 had plenty of okay episodes, but they also occasionally hit home runs with really great ones. Voyager and Enterprise never get that far because every time a writer had an exciting idea, Rick Berman was there to say "we can't do that because it's not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek." So the version that makes it to the screen is a watered-down script with a decent premise bent into the standard Trek formula.

The first episode of season 5 ("Night") starts in a really interesting place. Voyager is travelling through a massive empty region of space, they haven't encountered anything or anyone in months and it could continue that way for years. Janeway has retreated to her quarters and is brooding on her decision to strand the ship in the Delta Quadrant, no-one has seen her in weeks. The ship is running on skeleton crews because there's nothing to do and the crew is slowly going nuts from boredom. It feels dangerous, like things could genuinely start to unravel. Then suddenly they meet some sad underdog aliens and a mean bully alien and the rest is just a cookie cutter morality play about pollution. Thanks, Rick.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

shadok posted:

Very little of Voyager is offensively bad, ie. "Threshold". The vast bulk of it is "meh". For Star Trek that can be fine. TNG and DS9 had plenty of okay episodes, but they also occasionally hit home runs with really great ones. Voyager and Enterprise never get that far because every time a writer had an exciting idea, Rick Berman was there to say "we can't do that because it's not Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek." So the version that makes it to the screen is a watered-down script with a decent premise bent into the standard Trek formula.

The first episode of season 5 ("Night") starts in a really interesting place. Voyager is travelling through a massive empty region of space, they haven't encountered anything or anyone in months and it could continue that way for years. Janeway has retreated to her quarters and is brooding on her decision to strand the ship in the Delta Quadrant, no-one has seen her in weeks. The ship is running on skeleton crews because there's nothing to do and the crew is slowly going nuts from boredom. It feels dangerous, like things could genuinely start to unravel. Then suddenly they meet some sad underdog aliens and a mean bully alien and the rest is just a cookie cutter morality play about pollution. Thanks, Rick.

I almost posted this earlier, but something to keep in mind is that Piller was equally guilty of championing ~*Gene's vision*~. I think it was in Fade In where he said that on Voyager, he had become the cranky old man telling a lot of the writers "that's not how Star Trek works".

Remember that when Piller was confronted with Gene saying "no, this story won't work, because in the 24th century people don't grieve" (despite half the cast crying at Tasha Yar's funeral just a couple of years prior), his response was not "ugh, I guess I have to work around this senile old man somehow", but "oh wow this is such a brilliant artistic constraint! I'm going to call it the Roddenberry box!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also, I know this is from way the hell back, but...

MikeJF posted:

They were, but stop motion style. They'd move the camera, shoot a frame, move the camera, shoot a frame, etc. At least initially, at Howard Anderson. Film Effects might've been able to do it live on the dolly, but I'm not sure about that.

I'm not sure the motion blur on the title fly-bys is really consistent with the technique you're describing. Maybe they did it stop-motion for the first pilot?

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I almost posted this earlier, but something to keep in mind is that Piller was equally guilty of championing ~*Gene's vision*~. I think it was in Fade In where he said that on Voyager, he had become the cranky old man telling a lot of the writers "that's not how Star Trek works".

That is true. Ron Moore talked about it in That Interview. I guess I just forgive Piller because the net gain on writing quality was so dramatic when he joined the staff.

Also, Ron Moore's theory that it was the decade of Trek conventions that drove Roddenberry away from good storytelling in favour of "Starfleet Is Perfect" might have some truth to it, but the roots were definitely already there even in TOS. His meddling in Harlan Ellison's script for "The City on the Edge of Forever" is well documented and that was right back in season 1, 1967.

shadok fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 2, 2015

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

shadok posted:

That is true. Ron Moore talked about it in That Interview. I guess I just forgive Piller because the net gain on writing quality was so dramatic when he joined the staff.

Also, Ron Moore's theory that it was the decade of Trek conventions that drove Roddenberry away from good storytelling in favour of "Starfleet Is Perfect" might have some truth to it, but the roots were definitely already there even in TOS. His meddling in Harlan Ellison's script for "The City on the Edge of Forever" is well documented and that was right back in season 1, 1967.

To be fair, though, Ellison's original script would have been prohibitively expensive to shoot now. In '67 it was flat out impossible. Some changes were required to get the thing on-screen. Whether or not all the changes were necessary or helped the finished product can be debated, but since "City on the Edge of Forever" is generally considered one of the best if not the best episode of TOS, I'm inclined to give Gene the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I mean, yes, I know what you're thinking about...the excision of the drug dealing Starfleet officer...but that may not have been about imposing "Federation Utopia" as much as choosing to focus on Kirk, Spock, and McCoy over spending screen time on some random sleazebag we'd never heard of before, nor would ever again once the end credits rolled.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

jng2058 posted:

I mean, yes, I know what you're thinking about...the excision of the drug dealing Starfleet officer

That, but mostly the ending. Ellison's original script called for Kirk to attempt to save Edith Keeler, to be held back by Spock. Roddenberry flatly refused and rewrote it to the ending that was shot, because a Starfleet captain wouldn't do that. I just wanted to point out that he was already making this kind of note even back in season 1 of TOS, it wasn't something that started in TNG.

jng2058 posted:

To be fair, though, Ellison's original script would have been prohibitively expensive to shoot now. In '67 it was flat out impossible. Some changes were required to get the thing on-screen.

According to Ellison (I know, I know) this was way overblown by Roddenberry. His book about the whole situation includes letters and documents from Desilu at the time showing that a) Ellison happily made several rewrites to reduce production costs, and b) according to Roddenberry in a 1967 letter, the episode (based on his version of the script) ultimately went over by about $56,000 and everyone was fine with it. It was in interviews years later where he repeatedly claimed that the original script would have cost $200,000 over budget. And changing the ending, the thing he was most angry about, cost $0.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Got another "best episode"-ish question. The girl I'm currently dating has never seen any Star Trek besides the reboot movies, but knows I'm a fan and wants to watch an episode of each series to see if any of them are to her liking, with the caveat of no two-parters. However, I'm having trouble picking an ENT and TNG episode.

Here's my tentative list:

TOS: Balance of Terror

TNG: Who Watches the Watchers

DS9: Duet

VOY: Timeless

ENT: No loving clue

I'm looking for an episode that covers what the series is like when it's being genuinely good and doesn't demand you be familiar with the setting already, but I'm coming up empty for ENT and I'm not very satisfied with my TNG pick - The Inner Light is great, but it's not an especially good Star Trek episode as it were, in my opinion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I would suggest The Drumhead or Measure of a Man for TNG. Neither require great knowledge of the characters, but showcase the real heart of the series.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Measure of a Man is an amazing episode but I'd actually go with Darmok, as controversial as that may seem. MoaM is like a total TNG stereotype - lots and lots of orating around tables in beige rooms. Darmok hits all the TNG themes and has a pretty tense space battle that people forget about (the enterprise is just about to be blown up by the Tamarians before Picard is able to return and communicate).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cythereal posted:

quote:

I'm looking for an episode that covers what the series is like when it's being genuinely good

:stare:

Go with something like Measure of a Man, Cause and Effect or Chain of Command.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Who Watches The Watches is an outstanding episode, one of TNG's finest.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
TNG suggestions: The Measure of a Man, Darmok, Starship Mine, Ensign Ro, Lower Decks

TOS suggestion: The Doomsday Machine. I sure do love The Doomsday Machine.

ENT suggestions: Similtude, The Catwalk, Dead Stop

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think Chain of Command would be good if you don't mind including a two-parter.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cythereal posted:

Got another "best episode"-ish question. The girl I'm currently dating has never seen any Star Trek besides the reboot movies, but knows I'm a fan and wants to watch an episode of each series to see if any of them are to her liking, with the caveat of no two-parters. However, I'm having trouble picking an ENT and TNG episode.

Here's my tentative list:

TOS: Balance of Terror

DS9: Duet

VOY: Timeless

ENT: No loving clue

I'm looking for an episode that covers what the series is like when it's being genuinely good and doesn't demand you be familiar with the setting already, but I'm coming up empty for ENT and I'm not very satisfied with my TNG pick - The Inner Light is great, but it's not an especially good Star Trek episode as it were, in my opinion.

Ugh. Duet? Really? Here's what I'd go with:

TOS: Mirror, Mirror

TNG: Peak Performance

DS9: In The Pale Moonlight (even though it's in the middle of the story arc, it still makes a good standalone piece)

VOY: Blink Of An Eye

ENT: Dear Doctor

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Seconding Darmok. It's a good episode, requires next to no knowledge of the characters, and she'll get one of the bigger TNG memes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

:stare:

Go with something like Measure of a Man, Cause and Effect or Chain of Command.

The Prime Directive is kinda a big deal in Star Trek, and I felt Who Watches the Watchers is probably the show's best look at it. But yeah, Measure of a Man is probably better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

ScreamingLlama posted:

DS9: In The Pale Moonlight (even though it's in the middle of the story arc, it still makes a good standalone piece)

No-one loves "In the Pale Moonlight" more than me but you need a metric assload of backstory to appreciate the story. Even "Duet", and I speak from personal experience here, requires a five-minute history lesson about the occupation, resistance and liberation of Bajor with associated commentary on the militaristic aspect of Cardassian society and the consequences of Federation neutrality.

• Locked thread