Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I wonder why so many games, even big titles have server issues

Hmm it must because every single developer is lazy and stupid let us be mad foreve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Archonex posted:

Strikes are for people who are good at the fighting part of the game. You can pull off some absolutely absurd poo poo if you're good at chaining attacks using the systems this game has introduced.

We're talking "combo them one hundred times only to start it up again once they lose all of their stamina trying to get you off their back" levels of absurd. You just need the right skills to do it.

Also, it's really frigging hard to commonly take advantage of the guard broken damage boost with ki spamming. Whereas you can pick up a move like evil blade that acts as a strike and teleports you to the target (from across the map no less) and just rock faces every time someone gets knocked back. Which, in this game is a lot.
Yeah, I think my lack of excitement about strikes is just that I haven't tried most of them so I don't know the utility and combo potential they have. Someone who isn't me should do a writeup.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

cams posted:

because it's a video game and people who whine about their video games are the most annoying pieces of poo poo.

you are literally whining about a toy.

I don't understand this mentality... it's annoying because you don't like thinking you wasted your money on a pre broken $60 "toy"? It's annoying because it interrupts your good times reading the 30th post on the page gushing about their Goku's?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why are people defending this crap. This game isn't an mmo, it's a single player game with an easily ignorable mp component.

This game is PSO but as a fighting game, actually, and I'm so happy it's so good.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah this game is so totally busted I've only managed to play for a measly 20 hours this week what a piece of poo poo

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

ZenVulgarity posted:

I wonder why so many games, even big titles have server issues

Hmm it must because every single developer is lazy and stupid let us be mad foreve

None of this would have mattered if they had just made a regular offline mode.
Seriously the game is good but that doesn't mean people are wrong to think that the current setup is retarded

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Beerus is the best, I love him.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Ometeotl posted:

Boy, the dragon ball drop rate really plummets when you get the first four, huh?

Its all RNG, you're just unlucky. Last night I got my last 3 in a row.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Do Majins or Freeza clans have cool exclusive moves like the Super Saiyan powerups/Sword attacks that saiyans and humans have?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Do Majins or Freeza clans have cool exclusive moves like the Super Saiyan powerups/Sword attacks that saiyans and humans have?

Everyone has some sort of exclusive something. For example only Majin can turn people into candy.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Alright i have done PQ8 about 40+ times and i cannot get Recoomes Ultra Fighting Bomber skill to drop.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
This game really makes me think of this a lot.

I absolutely love the game but grinding is so obnoxious and tedious. When people say they did a certain PQ like thirty times my mind implodes on itself because I barely have the patience to do one three times in a row. It probably wouldn't be as bad if they didn't all have the exact same battle dialogue over and over, or make me deal with the gates.

It's amazing how much a game can irritate me this much and yet I still have so much fun with it. I keep uninstalling it, swearing I've given up forever and/or will wait for mods, but here I am, installing it for like the fifth time because I love being a DBZ character and the moveset customization parts are amazing. The fighting is actually fun and addictive. It's good the special move system is extremely simple because I absolutely cannot deal with systems that have you input combos. For some reason I've just always been extremely incompetent at that mechanic.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Reiley posted:

This game is PSO but as a fighting game, actually, and I'm so happy it's so good.

The game is cool as hell. If it was bad I wouldn't bother wasting my breath on it.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Terper posted:

Beerus is the best, I love him.

He really is. Watch the background during his first cutscene for Tactical Stealth Vegeta Action. :3:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Wh-where is this power coming from?!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
why are you guys arguing with knuc

I think this is a great game, and what he is saying is true

and even if it weren't true, who CARES

stop defending your purchase of a video game, if you like it thats pretty cool and you should play and post about it

if someone doesn't like a game or is annoyed about something in it, they can post about that if they want

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ZenVulgarity posted:

Chicky buus are adorbs

They all look like candy people from Adventure Time. :kimchi:

e: Also this game is literally Phantasy Star Online with Gokus, and I'm pretty sure PSO did the same always-online stuff.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Everyone has some sort of exclusive something. For example only Majin can turn people into candy.

How does the candy beam work in this game? Is it like an instant kill if your enemy is below a certain health threshold or something like that?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

PSO was offline/online but it saved your character client-side, which opened it up to an unprecedented wave of hacks. It's probably online-enabled as an anti-cheat measure, since I'm guessing all character data is server-side.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

So I saw some people earlier who were making speed/basic attack-based builds, which is what I've been doing. As it turns out,the Z-Soul "I'm Niether Nami nor Piccolo Now!" is loving stupid and OP as hell for that build because between the gigantic stat boosts, auto guard, and insane regen with no downside whatsoever you can just punch the poo poo out of everything all day with no damage whatsoever.

If you rely a lot on Ki it's less useful because you need max Ki to get the regen, but god help your opponent if you're an attack-heavy majin because with the racial max-endurance defense boost you can facetank all day and just run away for a bit if your health starts to get low.

This is true for 99% of the game, but missions like "Bargain Sale on Super Saiyans" screw you over because the computer ends up beam locking you when you get to SSJ Goku/Gohan. It's annoying as gently caress.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

What are the Frieza race specific moves

cams
Mar 28, 2003

HalfHazard posted:

How does the candy beam work in this game? Is it like an instant kill if your enemy is below a certain health threshold or something like that?
They just becomes candies that can't attack or be attacked. Super loving annoying if you take buu partners and they keep doing it over and over.

Eonwe posted:

if someone doesn't like a game or is annoyed about something in it, they can post about that if they want
that's cool i'm gonna continue to call people who go on the internet to whine about their video games pieces of poo poo

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Kild posted:

Is "Don't underestimate Earth" Buyable? Or do I have to grind this PQ for another hour :(

Grind it, but it's worth it for the Piccolo/Kami skill that makes most of the game trivial.

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

cams posted:

They just becomes candies that can't attack or be attacked. Super loving annoying if you take buu partners and they keep doing it over and over.
that's cool i'm gonna continue to call people who go on the internet to whine about their video games pieces of poo poo

Thank you for answering my question but uhhhh, maybe you should be a little less mad about people posting about this game's most obvious flaw

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Feindfeuer posted:

They could bankrupt me if they would turn the basic gameplay into a F2P mech-based game with constant flow of new missions, mech parts and over-the-top skills/weapons. Anyway, I still enjoy this game even though I have no idea about dragonballs. But the game is a lot of fun.

Older post but they halfway did. Gundam Breaker is similar to this, but with Gundams and new missions every week. If you don't mind importing games and have a PS3 I seriously recommend checking it out.

Anyway getting back on topic. My character is still specced mostly into striking moves and super right now. Then piccolo taught me his evil wave or whatever its called. That move alone does more damage than my ultimate strike attack. poo poo be crazy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I've been catching the thread pretty intermittently- is there an IRC channel for this game? Also, my OC is collecting DBZ's beautiful losers as mentors. I'm prioritizing Krillin, Ginyu, and Hercule as masters.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Gundam Breaker looks so loving awesome, I wish I lived in a universe where it would come to PC and America.

nvm no cake
Feb 27, 2011

The Z-soul "A god isn't what this world needs." is really drat good. It activates when you use a buff skill and it gives you a nice health regen when it's activated. So all you have to do is keep one of the fighting poses in your arsenal and you pretty much have health regen whenever you want it. Also, you can use your Ki without having to worry about losing your health regen, unlike some of the other Z-souls.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

cams posted:

e......PIC

That's sick bro, I'm glad you are standing up for this video game. Reminds me of the time I lost my leg in the Gamefaqs Console Wars of 2000

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tenzarin posted:

It is nothing like monster hunter.

Thank god someone is here to defend the honor of the fair maiden Monster Hunter!!!

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

The day something awful and gamefaqs changed places

cams
Mar 28, 2003

whole bunch of posts that aren't actually about this game

So, are there strike supers that do more damage than Meteor Crash? I think my biggest problem playing a strike super guy is that Meteor Crash seems to be the best damage and it's pretty boring.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Anonymous Robot posted:

Gundam Breaker looks so loving awesome, I wish I lived in a universe where it would come to PC and America.

Bandai seems to have abandoned America for their Gundam stuff for now. But Breaker 2 is awesome even if it is a filthy console peasant game.

Anthrovore posted:

So can Goku punch through a diamond wall?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Darko posted:

Grind it, but it's worth it for the Piccolo/Kami skill that makes most of the game trivial.

Yeah I eventually got it but someone said they're buyable/easily gotten but I've had to grind for Nail's and Piccolo's.

Damone
May 3, 2009

cams posted:

So, are there strike supers that do more damage than Meteor Crash? I think my biggest problem playing a strike super guy is that Meteor Crash seems to be the best damage and it's pretty boring.

The Orin Combo does a decent wad of damage, easy to land from middle of a weak strike combo too.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

cams posted:

Yeah, I think my lack of excitement about strikes is just that I haven't tried most of them so I don't know the utility and combo potential they have. Someone who isn't me should do a writeup.

Let me just do an example of my build to show what I mean. Don't expect it to cover everything since it's a lovely five minute write up. But hopefully it'll give you an idea of what a somewhat decent strike build looks like.

Stat wise i'm heavily strike super and basic focused, with my second highest stats in ki and health. Ki because as a Saiyan I need to stay transed for a long time to keep the combos going, and health because ahahaha have you seen the end game of this game yet? It's a bit nuts.

Skill wise I have these skills slotted:

Supers and Ultimates:

1. Gravity Impact - Earned from Cell being your master. Does a knock back attack. Typically used as a utility to start combos and break charged ultimates. It's a beam skill, but it's a necessary evil given how hard it is to dodge in a straight fight. Mechanically it creates a gigantic green energy field in front of you that launches whatever it hits to the other side of the arena. If you ever wondered why some forms of Cell are such a bitch to fight this skill is probably why. More on it later.

2. Meteor Crash - You get this by default if you play a Saiyan. No idea where it's learned otherwise. On the face of it it looks terrible. You blow two bars of ki for a nigh unstoppable melee combo that literally has you hitting someone 20+ times. However the damage is low compared to ultimate spamming so it's useless, right? Wrong. With SSJ activated you can spam this like crazy. It also can be activated mid attack when using basics. So you can launch a basic non-KB combo and then immediately segue into it for damage.

3. Shining Slash - An absolute motherfucker of a skill. Think of it like instant transmission, only a lot more annoying to deal with. It's earned by doing the Power Teams PQ, available after the Cell Saga. If uncharged your character leaps a moderate distance to slash at someone with a sword. If charged it will teleport you by them and immediately do a sword attack. This happens even if the character is across the map. It also doesn't mention this, but it stuns them for a split second too, along with cancels KB. Meaning you can knock someone back and they'll hang in midair for you to beat the poo poo out of.

4. Super Saiyan - A necessity for this build. SSJ gives you infinite ki to do whatever attacks you want and probably also some hidden stat bonuses given how poorly the skills in this game are documented. Make sure you have a lot of ki before using it. Not much else to say. You get it around the Frieza Saga.

5. Full Power Charge - An enhanced version of the charge skill that gives you ki. Charges faster at the cost of having like a half second activation and deactivation time. Really worth picking up for any ki based build. Use it to top off SSJ before going into another fight, or to trigger it quickly if no one is focused on you. You get this from a PQ where you have to defend Hercules. Good loving luck with it, since Vegeta has SSJ and final flash during the PQ.

6. Vacation Cancel - A ki based ultimate. Useful for several things. Primarily for opening a combo and AOE combat. Also, it paralyzes anything it hits for several seconds and can be spammed. More on it later.

7. Miracle Kneel - Hercule's avoidance skill. Not the best, but it's hilarious and has a fast activation time. On short characters it looks like you drop to your knees and sucker punch the enemy in the nuts, which is why I love it. Stuns the enemy for a few seconds and knocks them back. Perfect for initiating a combo in 1v1 matches if you can't vanish away.

Strategy wise what you use depends on the situation you're in. The build plays like something out of the latter end of the show. You'll be teleporting around the battlefield and throwing out a dozen hits a second. It will also stun lock just about anything in one versus one melee combat. That includes late game PQ characters. Shining Slash allows you to teleport to anything. Gravity Impact will knock anything back, essentially paralyzing them and putting them in a "guard broken" state where they take a bit more damage. Meteor Crash when used with SSJ can be infinitely used after you use those two skills for an infinitely chaining combo. You can even mix basic attacks into it.

If an enemy breaks out of Meteor Crash, vanish behind them and tap gravity impact, then immediately use Shining Slash before seguing back into Meteor Crash. Alternatively, if they're at short range and hit too fast to hit with a Gravity Impact you want to use Vacation Cancel to paralyze them before moving in with a Meteor Crash or Gravity Impact. When chained like this Meteor Crash does more damage than a fair number of ultimates, with far less opportunities to get out of it. What's more, you rack up insane combos which help you to get a Z score. Ultimate spamming isn't really that efficient for scoring, usually.

If you're facing multiple enemies in close range spam Vacation Cancel like it's going out of style. It's free damage, and they're stupid for getting that close together when you have SSJ up. Vacation Cancel will stun lock all but the smartest players and most bullshit NPC's if spammed, but does sub-par damage compared to skills like Perfect Kamehameha. The trade off is that it's a homing attack and is literally a gigantic ball of energy that explodes on impact for chained hits. So it's a pain in the rear end to avoid. Combine that with a Saiyan's ki spamming abilities and you have a recipe for some absurd damage.

Whenever you're about to lose SSJ hit gravity impact to knock the enemy across the level. You never want to pursue the enemy after you do this. Instead, immediately start charging your ki. Unless they have two bars of stamina to spare they'll have to fly back from the other side of the level. If it's a large level you'll have plenty of time to get enough ki to trans back to SSJ. Repeat as needed, adapting your strategies depending on how smart the people are who are fighting with you.

Keep in mind that you can use these three attacks a lot faster than what the game says too. You can start charging Shining Slash before it appears to be ready in the skill selection list. It takes a bit of finagling to get the timing but i'm pretty sure this is one of the reasons why some late game PQ's are such a bitch. The AI seems to abuse this trick to pull off crazy combos. So get the hang of it as soon as possible.

You obviously want a lot of stats in strike supers, but keep basic damage on par with it. You're going to go out of SSJ some time and odds are eventually it'll be just as another character decides to hit you from behind. This is your karma moment for being such an rear end in a top hat. Use a mixture of jumps and basic attacks to stay alive until you can start flying again, then combo the crap out of them with KB's. They provide decent ki and if you send someone flying and don't do a follow up it's a good way to buy time to use charge.

It's also a good idea to know some of the basic attack mechanics if you're doing a strike build. For instance, the game never tells you that you can teleport to a character that you've knocked back (and thus, put into a guard broken state) by vanishing. Doing so allows you to get way more hits on them than if you just teleported to them and continued the knock back chain. And since you aren't locked into doing a knockback you can chain other strike supers into the canceled knockback too.

The catch is that if another player fucks up the knock back you may have just wasted one to two ki depending on whether you blocked before vanishing or not. This is a good way to have someone break their keyboard out of rage too since you can combo someone for a really long time via a stamina build by doing this. Shiningg Slash is essentially a ki based substitute for this trick that's a lot easier to pull off.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 2, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Hell Zone Grenade is really good. It's basically un-avoidable, unlike the beam Ultimates. It's a good backup to Final Flash.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

cams posted:

I don't think it does more damage than a full meteor crash but finishing your attack string with an Orin Combo and slamming your opponent into the ground is cool as hell

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

cams posted:

Not that I've found and as an earthling with all his points in striking supers and stamina it's a bummer. Android 18 teaches you a pretty cool looking kick combo though that I can't remember the name of. Something dance. Reflects normal ki blasts too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Anthrovore posted:

• Locked thread