Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
What the hell would she do on a Beech 1900C?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008
IHG status you get for free with their credit card bought me a triple upgrade into a club-level premium view room for free, at an Intercontinental, even despite the existence of the bizarre paid loyalty program the Intercontinental brand uses.

:hellyeah:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What the hell would she do on a Beech 1900C?

Piss herself, if it's one of the ones without a lavatory.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!
Wen teh mom wets, clarp.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Hope nobody got caught in the mess at DFW today.

Bisty Q. posted:

IHG status you get for free with their credit card bought me a triple upgrade into a club-level premium view room for free, at an Intercontinental, even despite the existence of the bizarre paid loyalty program the Intercontinental brand uses.

:hellyeah:
That's pretty awesome. IHG status is usually regarded as pretty much worthless.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I'm with you buddy. CRJ's are a fact of life since the majority of my flights are out of PSC (lol if you know that one) and yet people will still attempt to cram their luggage into overhead bins that can barely fit my messenger bag.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
More hand behind the headrest sightings, saw someone do this on my flight home from MCO yesterday. He was across the isle though so it wasn't in my reach to do anything about it. Thanks thread for making me chuckle out loud.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sneeze on his hand. Or cough

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
What are the current recommendations for solid laptop bags that can still handle a few dossiers and loose papers?

I saw pacsafe touted around earlier in the thread but it seems smaller than I would like, more for a tablet than a laptop. I also noted the Red Oxx bag but they only ship in the US.

I travel a lot for work (114 nights in hotels and 166 days travelling in 2014) but entirely on trains in continental Europe for now, so the kilometrage covered is less impressive.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Mackieman posted:

Are you using UA's US site? The NaN stuff shouldn't display if so. May be a bug. :ohdear:

And I wish I could find $125 one way tickets. Everything I need to buy (return from either PHL or EWR, a trip to ABQ or ELP, and a trip to AUS/SAT are all north of $450 per person.

I finally got around to installing this on my surface and it seems to work fine, no NaNs. I think sometimes my work computer goes to the Japanese site but still displays in USD (log in prefs? I don't know) the only way I typically notice this is the weird CC offers that pop up (25k rdm signing bonus lol).

For instrument upgrade space I use Opal's Filter By R Userscript, it's midway down the page. It's helpful but again, it doesn't discriminate by fare class at all so don't expect your deep discount fares (K, T, S, etc) to work because you need to do an advance search for only GPU fare eligble classes you need (W and above for UA, O and above for some partners). I think maybe everyone knows these things once they have had some GPUs to use but just throwing it out there since the plugin is pretty dumb. I've always wondered why no one has sued UA for running an unlicensed lotto with the pay for play GPU system.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Had a guy playing the ukulele in the boarding line today. That was a first for me.

Wished he'd corralled his six years old instead, but hey, free entertainment.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Mulatto Butts posted:

What are the current recommendations for solid laptop bags that can still handle a few dossiers and loose papers?

I saw pacsafe touted around earlier in the thread but it seems smaller than I would like, more for a tablet than a laptop. I also noted the Red Oxx bag but they only ship in the US.

I travel a lot for work (114 nights in hotels and 166 days travelling in 2014) but entirely on trains in continental Europe for now, so the kilometrage covered is less impressive.

Mulatto Butts posted:

I have a Tumi T-pass laptop bag and it's pretty excellent.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I sometimes skype my kid from the boarding line. I keep his volume off and just talk to him.

I guess I'm that person, but gently caress if I'm going to miss seeing him 50% of the time in at least going to skype him when I can.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

FrozenVent posted:

Had a guy playing the ukulele in the boarding line today. That was a first for me.

Wished he'd corralled his six years old instead, but hey, free entertainment.
Which was more entertaining? The ukulele or the six-year-old?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

AgrippaNothing posted:

I finally got around to installing this on my surface and it seems to work fine, no NaNs. I think sometimes my work computer goes to the Japanese site but still displays in USD (log in prefs? I don't know) the only way I typically notice this is the weird CC offers that pop up (25k rdm signing bonus lol).

For instrument upgrade space I use Opal's Filter By R Userscript, it's midway down the page. It's helpful but again, it doesn't discriminate by fare class at all so don't expect your deep discount fares (K, T, S, etc) to work because you need to do an advance search for only GPU fare eligble classes you need (W and above for UA, O and above for some partners). I think maybe everyone knows these things once they have had some GPUs to use but just throwing it out there since the plugin is pretty dumb. I've always wondered why no one has sued UA for running an unlicensed lotto with the pay for play GPU system.

Oh, good. Hopefully their new site doesn't have a completely different structure for the non-US versions.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

Curious if you've taken a look at your bookings going forward. I just calculated my RDM for the travel I have booked this month, New vs Old methods... -26% gently caress. That's at an average of .14/per mile too. I have a few intl trips this year that will hopefully bring things up but this is depressing.

And goddamit if this wasn't going to be a great year of earning. I'm going to pass gold next month with about 54K BIS

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm on the shelf for at least four weeks, maybe more, due to knee surgery.

Of course then I am making up for it with repeated transcon and transatlantic trips in April and May.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
My Hertz points are about to expire - I don't want to lose them, but I haven't rented a car from them in forever.

The Hertz website says that the clock resets on points validity when points are earned or redeemed. Would redeeming and then cancelling an award work for resetting the clock? The points are subtracted from the account on redemption, then refunded on cancellation, so I'm inclined to think that it would...

I called them to ask, and man, is their customer service awful. The lady on the phone wouldn't give me a straight answer and kept telling me to go rent a car before eventually rudely hanging up on me.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Man I just came back from a flight and saw all these passengers getting up and reading to go right after landing. Thought about this thread and it's pretty hilarious to see everyone so anxious to leave yet they got held up either at immigration, baggage claim, or walked really really slow.

Didn't clap my hands and I realized that I didn't recline my seat as well :vince:

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
I dunno, despite how often I do it I still loving hate flying and can't wait to get off the plane ASAP. I guess in terms of relative timescale it's nothing but I like to take the first possible opportunity to get out of that seat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You just have to learn to not give a gently caress.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

canoshiz posted:

I dunno, despite how often I do it I still loving hate flying and can't wait to get off the plane ASAP. I guess in terms of relative timescale it's nothing but I like to take the first possible opportunity to get out of that seat.

I can't wait to get off the plane as well. But it's just a matter of timing. You just got to guesstimate which airline, what time, which airport you are arriving at. If you are not flying the premium carrier, chances are you will be on that stupid bus transfer anyway. Getting off your seat ASAP before any air plane marshaling is just dumb.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

canoshiz posted:

I don't mind flying at this point, but the second we land I want to get off the drat plane. I really don't like when people in the rows in front of me are sitting there loving with their bags, and trying to remember where they put what. Grab your poo poo and move. GO GO GO GO!

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

I love to fly but I'm antsy to the point where I hate the mid cabin exit rows because it takes 2-3 more minutes to get off the plane than the fore most 3 E rows. I also don't stand on moving walkways, even when I'm just cruising to the club to cool my heels on a layover.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pissingintowind posted:

My Hertz points are about to expire - I don't want to lose them, but I haven't rented a car from them in forever.

The Hertz website says that the clock resets on points validity when points are earned or redeemed. Would redeeming and then cancelling an award work for resetting the clock? The points are subtracted from the account on redemption, then refunded on cancellation, so I'm inclined to think that it would...

I called them to ask, and man, is their customer service awful. The lady on the phone wouldn't give me a straight answer and kept telling me to go rent a car before eventually rudely hanging up on me.

How many points do you have? It's only like $35 bucks to rent a small car for a day from a lot of non airport locations. It might be worth renting a compact for a day to keep it going. I've got like 20,000 hertz points so I did that once rather than lose them.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Thoguh posted:

How many points do you have? It's only like $35 bucks to rent a small car for a day from a lot of non airport locations. It might be worth renting a compact for a day to keep it going. I've got like 20,000 hertz points so I did that once rather than lose them.

Not that many, just a few thousand. I ended up booking a rental on points for a year out, so it counts as a redemption. I'll cancel it in 11 months and I should get my points back. :v:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, using AA points for BA travel from the US to Europe is quite the joke. 40k points + $710 in fees for a ticket that will cost you $833 in cash. No wonder every single flight is available for redemptions.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fuel surcharge is a bitch.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

A few months ago DL got nailed by the DOT for making claims to customers that fuel surcharges were a government tax lol. If you ever get an agent making some lovely claim like that file a DOT complaint because they do follow through. Smisek makes the rounds bitching about taxes on passengers all the time and it makes me sick. The taxes are there to make sure your loving overworked crews and ground staff are still upright and doing a passable job. I'm sure part of the DOT's airline oversight budget comes from those taxes so, yeah, I'll pay them since i don't trust Jeff.

BTW The secret to never paying fuel surcharges on awards is redeeming MP. I take it with its lumps because it's still one of the better programs.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So I flew on some cheap low cost carrier called Tiger from SIN --> KUL. The Gate check people made me weigh my backpack and my bags. I was 3kg over the 10kg limit. The attendant tried cutting me a deal where I only pay 1 kg more and let me through. Except that the cost was 18% of the flight. So being a cheapass I am. I took all my belongings in the bathroom and put on my windbreaker. Stuffing anything I can into a zipped out windbreaker in the middle of singapore. Did another weigh in and I was good to go even though I looked awkward as gently caress like a some drug mule or iphone smuggler.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Amazon's having a luggage sale right now, which brings B&R down to $352 with code 25LUGGAGE

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M6ZCOS

Buy it!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
My train killed a person the other day. Over 3 hours late to my meeting because all the trains along the corridor were stopped in both directions.

We were stopped so long because the firefighters couldn't find the body (it exploded).

On inching into the next station they announced that sensitive people are advised not to look out the windows, so of course everyone instantly looks.

At least that's something you don't have to deal with while flying. I didn't think mondays could get worse :yum:

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Mulatto Butts posted:

My train killed a person the other day. Over 3 hours late to my meeting because all the trains along the corridor were stopped in both directions.

We were stopped so long because the firefighters couldn't find the body (it exploded).

On inching into the next station they announced that sensitive people are advised not to look out the windows, so of course everyone instantly looks.

At least that's something you don't have to deal with while flying. I didn't think mondays could get worse :yum:

I stopped taking Caltrain when I'm in the bay area because you always have to leave 3-4 hours early to make time for the body clean up. Oh, and it is slow and infrequent.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

MickeyFinn posted:

I stopped taking Caltrain when I'm in the bay area because you always have to leave 3-4 hours early to make time for the body clean up. Oh, and it is slow and infrequent.

I wish we had better mass-transit options along the Penninsula. I was in Taiwan recently and their TRA system makes me extremely jealous.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Lucky for me I was on the first train of the day so I was screwed unless I had gone out the night before and taken a hotel.

The TGV is nicer just because the bodies vaporize at those speeds. Never had a problem.

If it wasn't for the constant strikes/threats of strikes i wouldn't mind having jobs in France.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

France strikes own. They strike, you strike. Alright.

Returned to the office after 3wks on the road to find the 788 model gifted to me by UA busted up after some dingus knocked it off my shelves.

The sailor in me says this is an ill omen. The next 787 I ride will be my last ride...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Is UAL going 3-3-3 in Poor Folks Class on the 788s?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Is UAL going 3-3-3 in Poor Folks Class on the 788s?

They came from Boeing that way; nearly all 788 carriers have 3-3-3 in the back.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

ANA went 2-4-2. UA went ghetto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Mackieman posted:

They came from Boeing that way; nearly all 788 carriers have 3-3-3 in the back.

United may have gotten them that way from Boeing, but that was at their instigation. The original design was for 2-4-2.

JAL went 2-4-2 as well.