Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Isn't there some quote about Rall about a cartoonist hall of fame or something?

It's about how a Spiegelman statue wouldn't be in the main hall with all the greats, but a Ted Rall statue would be used as a urinal. There's a picture of it, which I'm sure someone here can post.

E: aaand beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
Ted Rall's work from Mad Magazine

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Rorus Raz posted:

The funny thing is that Spiegelman doesn't have a huge ego and realizes he'll mostly be remembered for Maus and little else.

Aw, I'll at least remember him for his Wacky Packages cards he did for Topps :kiddo:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Yes, I think you fail to understand the widespread popularity of the Garbage Pail Kids. :colbert:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Context

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Hmmm, what's the audience for this one? It's a little unlike Latuff to cater explicitly to Assad loyalists. Goes to show how complicated the factional situation in Syria is.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Instead of the same 'ol Latuff talk, I want to know if I'm stupid and misinterpreting the cartoon: basically the US is funding/aiding factions in Turkey that are aiding ISIS or at least aren't helping things in Syria.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
This Latuff cartoon is pretty on point, Turkey has been a long standing US Ally, and Turky HATES the Kurds.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Venom Snake posted:

This Latuff cartoon is pretty on point, Turkey has been a long standing US Ally, and Turky HATES the Kurds.

But it isn't a flag of any Kurdish force, It's the Flag of Syria.
Which makes this cartoon ambiguous.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rorus Raz posted:

Instead of the same 'ol Latuff talk, I want to know if I'm stupid and misinterpreting the cartoon: basically the US is funding/aiding factions in Turkey that are aiding ISIS or at least aren't helping things in Syria.

Right, but the flag is specifically of the Syrian regime. It's just strange because the rebel consensus seems to be that the US is in the wrong for focusing on ISIS and Al Nusra and leaving the regime untouched so it can exploit the vacuum left by the retreating Islamic hardline factions. On the other hand Turkey is getting increasingly uneasy about our support of the strengthening Kurdish forces. Turkey is more likely to start fighting our proxies in Northern Syria than it is to start fighting ISIS, the regime or anything that could be perceived as a US enemy. It's just a weird cartoon and shows how any non-nuanced opinion kind of falls apart when it makes contact with the cluster gently caress that is Syria.

GhostofJohnMuir fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 2, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
It's for a Turkish paper, and shows the Turkish forces (US lead) switching focus from ISIS to the Syrian Rebels. Whether that's true or not :shrug:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's for a Turkish paper, and shows the Turkish forces (US lead) switching focus from ISIS to the Syrian Rebels. Whether that's true or not :shrug:

Then he chose a weird flag to make his point.

This is the flag of the Syrian opposition, though of course there are probably a ton of rebel groups that don't use it.

This is the flag used by Assad's government and the one on the back of the soldier.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
It's pretty obvious.
America is opposed to Assad's regime.
America is the bad guy.
Therefore, Assad's regime is the good guy.
QED

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Hey Rorus

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Then he chose a weird flag to make his point.

This is the flag of the Syrian opposition, though of course there are probably a ton of rebel groups that don't use it.

This is the flag used by Assad's government and the one on the back of the soldier.

My b. Anyway, I don't know if it's depicting what the Turks are really doing or what.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HisMajestyBOB posted:

It's pretty obvious.
America is opposed to Assad's regime.
America is the bad guy.
Therefore, Assad's regime is the good guy.
QED

Assad being the good guy for fighting "muslim radicals" Is a pretty big thing amongst a lot of people. It's the same logic people have for thinking Iraq was better off with Sadam Hussein.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on ancient Rome and the coalition" Churches call government welfare sanctions 'inhumane and un-Christian'

Yesterday's Sunday Telegraph:

Ed Miliband to cut student fees with raid on middle class pensions

Telegraph:

Boris Nemtsov murder: Tens of thousands march in Moscow

Independent:

Times:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

RIP The Internet, 1960s-2015. Killed by Obama.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

The internet is dead and we are all digital ghosts.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Yeah it was weird seeing my crap on Twitter (no idea which one of you is Soapbox)

Oh hey, speaking of which.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder how much more this Obama derangement syndrome thing can escalate.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Every time I start coming around to the idea that Branco might be the dumbest, most hateful politooner, Bok pulls out a stunner.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's a race to the bottom with no finish line.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Venom Snake posted:

I wonder how much more this Obama derangement syndrome thing can escalate.

It will peak sometime around December 2016 when the last minute pardons/executive orders go through, then around January 2017 it will metastasize into Obama Re-appropriation syndrome when it becomes time to celebrate how good he was at finding a middle ground between the right and left, unlike that traitor in the current White House whoever that may be.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Nah, they'll wait a good 20-30 years before trying to turn Obama into a conservative.

They'll either continue to hate on him like Clinton or , if a Republican takes the White House, they'll blame everything on him without a shred of awareness.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Duckbag posted:

Every time I start coming around to the idea that Branco might be the dumbest, most hateful politooner, Bok pulls out a stunner.

It's Ramirez but a large, large margin. Branco may be a idiot, but Ramirez operates on a whole other plain of existence of hate than he does.

DarklyDreaming posted:

It will peak sometime around December 2016 when the last minute pardons/executive orders go through, then around January 2017 it will metastasize into Obama Re-appropriation syndrome when it becomes time to celebrate how good he was at finding a middle ground between the right and left, unlike that traitor in the current White House whoever that may be.

No democratic president has ever been looked back on fondly by the Republican party/base. They still despise FDR 70 years later.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Putin is not in the envelope, and is therefore innocent. A Pro-Regime Cartoon.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
That Twitter lady eventually gave credit.

https://twitter.com/SailorSoapbox/status/572118467836395520

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

No democratic president has ever been looked back on fondly by the Republican party/base. They still despise FDR 70 years later.

Individual Republicans can sometimes be overheard saying nice things about Clinton, but usually not on the record or if they're planning to run for President. If either of those conditions holds it's nothing but Lewinsky jokes all day like it's 1998 again.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I don't really care that much, but I do appreciate people asking I be given credit :unsmith:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Rorus Raz posted:

It's a race to the bottom with no finish line.
So you're saying there is always more and it is always worse.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think anybody posted this yet.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I get the feeling that, these days, Bennett is making cartoons less for a national audience and more to just piss off the people that read his paper in Chattanooga.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

Kennedy.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Rorus Raz posted:

Nah, they'll wait a good 20-30 years before trying to turn Obama into a conservative.

They'll either continue to hate on him like Clinton or , if a Republican takes the White House, they'll blame everything on him without a shred of awareness.

No, they love President Even Clinton. As in, "Even Clinton supported welfare reform," or "Even Clinton believed in free trade," or" Even Clinton knew the value of an aggressive foreign policy."

They'll be hating on that liberal rear end in a top hat Barack Obama for decades, but Even Obama -- the guy who supported foreign wars, the national security state, free trade, and oil drilling -- is quickly going to become their best friend.

Lest you think this is something only the right is guilty of, let me remind you that Even Eisenhower warned about the military industrial complex, Even Nixon supported a strong social safety net and environment protections, and Even Reagan raised taxes.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Haha this poo poo is so silly.

Giving credit to rorus 2.5 hours after the original tweet is just ridiculous. That person already got all the retweets and favs they wanted

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:

Independent:

But didn't you hear? Putin was sickened by this murder and he's going to catch those murderers.

"Now watch this drive!"

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 2, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
edit: double post

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Could the person who posts the UK cartoons next time say on which side of the political spectrum the cartoonist is on. I want to get to know (and possibly hate) these cartoonists the same way I do American ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

uggy posted:

Haha this poo poo is so silly.

Giving credit to rorus 2.5 hours after the original tweet is just ridiculous. That person already got all the retweets and favs they wanted

good thing those don't matter at all then.

• Locked thread