Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Big McHuge posted:

Is it really rules-heavy? I thought it was just essentially Pictionary with the playing field leveled by having outrageously hard things to draw.

There's four levels of difficulty cards, from basic-Pictionary-level to good-luck-with-all-this, and everyone's on the same level at the same time, because you can't control what card you draw off of. We had six players, so we had six cards up. Each card has seven items on it. You get dealt two cards, one with a number on it, and one telling you what card you're drawing off of, so, like, I'd get A-1, telling me I'd be drawing on the A card, line 1. Nobody else would be on Card A, or on Line 1 (so you have that advantage of knowing that as you try to guess what other people are drawing). You also have a set of numbers 1-7 to use as "guessing cards" so that when you guess what line someone is drawing, you stack it in front of them.

You're given five tokens with stars on them (for six players - 3 stars, 2 stars, 3 with 1 star, fewer people get fewer stars). People want to guess what you're drawing quickly, because the first person to guess right gets the three star, second person gets the two star, so on. You want them to guess correctly because any of those tokens you're holding at the end of scoring ends up counting against you. And at the same time, you're looking at everyone else's boards trying to guess what they're drawing so you can get their three-star tokens. There's also a set of star tokens in the center of the table so that when you're done guessing/drawing, you grab the highest value out there (Galaxy Trucker-style), but, if you're the wrong that has the most wrong guesses in the round, it actually counts against you.

So, you can not draw or guess anything, get the three star bonus, but since nobody'll guess at yours, you'll still be holding your 3-2-1-1-1 star tokens, losing you eight points at the end, for a sum of -5 for the round. Nor can you just randomly throw out your numbers to people to grab the three-star bonus, because you'll end up as the "black sheep" with the most wrong answers, and it'll become a -3-star. You need to draw well enough for people to get it, and also be able to narrow down what everyone else is doing (ie. you know you're on Card A, you guessed other people on B/C/D, so this guy must be on E or F, then you know what lines have also been done, so you can narrow it down, unless you hosed up before, in which case....).

Like I said, Vlaada-esque "OK, shut up, we'll just figure it out," then after one round, everything just clicks and it's like whoa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It's pretty stupid that 7 Wonders expansions don't come with cheat sheets for the players. I forgot to print out 7 of these and played a game with some new players along with vets and the game was excruciating.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Imagined posted:

I picked up a used copy of Galaxy Truckers with both the expansions. We've never even played the base game before. Should we jump right in and learn the whole thing from the start, or separate out the base pieces and learn that first?

The way I did it is I only used the base game the first time we played, and then the second time I just tossed the rest of the ship parts in. Someone still asks something like 'uh what's the wires do' once in a while, but I don't think a slower bleed would have done anything about that. I might pull out the same trick I used for Kemet, and paste together jpegs of the manual to make a couple 'who's that ship part' handouts people can just check at a glance.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My board game puzzle for my GCL is up if you'd like to participate.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/188067/gcl-eclipse-179-what-game-do-you-see

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Lorini posted:

do we just spoiler our guesses? that whole gcl eclipse thing confused the poo poo out of me

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lorini posted:

What's the deal here? I know or can work out most of them offhand, what do I win?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Only ones I didn't get were Brass and War of the Ring.

Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1328201/did-i-get-knockoff-copy/page/1

My copy of Intrigue that I got from Amazon has the same flaws and it came from their warehouse this should be a fun customer service call

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
http://www.clevermovegames.com/2015/02/03/7-games-to-play-while-youre-waiting-for-exploding-kittens/

7 Games to Play While You’re Waiting for Exploding Kittens

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Well... guillotine is a non-awful short filler game, and I don't know about Red Dragon Inn, but the rest are a bit *shudder*, I think.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Russian roulette

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Lord Frisk posted:

do we just spoiler our guesses? that whole gcl eclipse thing confused the poo poo out of me

Just something to figure out, no contest, nothing to win. Yes just spoiler the guesses.

One thing that is interesting is that the top 25 has a lot of games now that traditional Euro gamers simply don't recognize. I think that's healthy for the hobby.

Here's the GCL wiki

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GCL_Eclipse

You can read the 'About' part to get more info. GCL's in general are a great way to have thoughtful discussions on BGG.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Heatwizard posted:

The way I did it is I only used the base game the first time we played, and then the second time I just tossed the rest of the ship parts in. Someone still asks something like 'uh what's the wires do' once in a while, but I don't think a slower bleed would have done anything about that. I might pull out the same trick I used for Kemet, and paste together jpegs of the manual to make a couple 'who's that ship part' handouts people can just check at a glance.

The extra ship parts are fine, since they're one of the only expansion components that isn't designed to just make the game strictly harder. The only wrinkle is that two of the new ship parts are designed to work with intruders, and intruders might be the scariest expansion component to include.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lorini posted:

Just something to figure out, no contest, nothing to win. Yes just spoiler the guesses.

One thing that is interesting is that the top 25 has a lot of games now that traditional Euro gamers simply don't recognize. I think that's healthy for the hobby.

Here's the GCL wiki

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GCL_Eclipse

You can read the 'About' part to get more info. GCL's in general are a great way to have thoughtful discussions on BGG.

In which case, just for the hell of it without looking anything up:

1: Le Havre
2: I have a vague feeling I've played this but I can't think what it is.
3: Sadly I didn't know this one, and looking at what it is, I really should.
4: I have no idea but I want to play it it has cogs. Looking at it it seems to be that one Vlaada game I've been meaning to try, of course...
5: Some sort of Catan?
6: If I cared enough I could probably work out which map it is of Power Grid, but either way, it's Power Grid. Europe, I think.
7: Either Age of Industry or the prequel I can't think of the name of.
8: Caylus.
9: Race for the Galaxy
10: Eclipse. Can't tell if it's the expansion to from what's on show.
11: Caverna
12: Something Fantasy Flight, possibly Lord of the Ringsish? It would be easier if it were zoomed in enough to make out the map a bit better.
13: Mage Knight
14: Robinson Crusoe, presumably, though I've not played that scenario yet
15: Not a scooby
16: X Wang
17: I initially said Agricola then for some reason second guessed myself into thinking it was one of the player boards from Ora et Labora which I've not played in ages. Turns out I was right first time...
18: CitOW? Cthulhu Wars? Turns out nope.
19: No idea.
20: Dominion. I could probably get most of the sets if I felt like straining my eyes.
21: No idea, never seen those components before in my life.
22: Castles of Burgundy
23: Through the Ages
24: 7 Wonders
25: Don't know, but I vaguely remember Ora et Labora having a round dial in the board so maybe that?

Turns out I get about half if you give me .......Brass........, so I have much to learn, and the Dunning-Kruger is me.

Definitely piqued my interest in picking up some more stuff at some point, especially T'Zolkin and Terra Mystica.

Thanks!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lorini posted:

I was quite surprised to find that Eldritch Horror was in the top 25. Honestly, I'm surprised it's in the top 100.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

T-Bone posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1328201/did-i-get-knockoff-copy/page/1

My copy of Intrigue that I got from Amazon has the same flaws and it came from their warehouse this should be a fun customer service call

Amazon is refunding me and investigating the claim so there's that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

thespaceinvader posted:

Well... guillotine is a non-awful short filler game, and I don't know about Red Dragon Inn, but the rest are a bit *shudder*, I think.

Red Dragon Inn is a fine silly game for 2-4 people if you keep things moving. Unfortunately everyone insists on playing it with whoever's in the room even if that's upwards of 10 people. It's got the Munchkin problem of "everybody's playing cards on other people's turns and tend to dogpile whoever's in the lead" so if you don't keep it small things become a slog. I'm loath to even suggest four players, it really does explode quickly.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Bruceski posted:

Red Dragon Inn is a fine silly game for 2-4 people if you keep things moving. Unfortunately everyone insists on playing it with whoever's in the room even if that's upwards of 10 people. It's got the Munchkin problem of "everybody's playing cards on other people's turns and tend to dogpile whoever's in the lead" so if you don't keep it small things become a slog. I'm loath to even suggest four players, it really does explode quickly.

It's one of the few games in my history that I had to outright just quit playing half-way through. And I've played a fair amount of terrible games.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

Well, Chez Geek is just as terrible as Munchkin. Same godawful art, same tribalistic nerd in-jokes for a theme.

Comparatively, Gloom is kinda okay? It's definitely topdeck-y random like Munchkin, but it's pitched as a storytelling game, so it matters a bit less that it's not a particularly strategic experience. It still takes too long for what it is (but not nearly as long as Munchkin), and it at least has a relatively unique Edward Gorey-ish theme instead of a bunch of nerd wankery.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Im irrationally angry that it's not called Kill Dr. Lucky anymore.

\/\/ oh that's not as bad then

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 2, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

JoshTheStampede posted:

Im irrationally angry that it's not called Kill Dr. Lucky anymore.

Kill Dr. Lucky still exists. Get Lucky is a spinoff cardgame version of the board game.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Is Kill Doctor Lucky/Get Lucky any good? I was eyeing it a while back (was Get Lucky a KS game? Maybe while it was there) and thought it looked okay but based on the caliber of the other games on that Exploding Kittens list I'm starting to think it might be terrible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Timett posted:

Is Kill Doctor Lucky/Get Lucky any good? I was eyeing it a while back (was Get Lucky a KS game? Maybe while it was there) and thought it looked okay but based on the caliber of the other games on that Exploding Kittens list I'm starting to think it might be terrible.
It's Munchkin pretending to be clue. Everyone says "no, gently caress YOU" until everyone runs out of gently caress you cards, and then someone else wins.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Is the list satirical?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Big McHuge posted:

Only ones I didn't get were Brass and War of the Ring.

Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed.

I also missed Brass, never played it. Same for Dominant Species. The rest were reasonably obvious, though the closeup shots were definitely harder.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Poison Mushroom posted:

It's Munchkin pretending to be clue. Everyone says "no, gently caress YOU" until everyone runs out of gently caress you cards, and then someone else wins.

In fairness to KDL, it has a much smarter card system including a better way to draw, less extreme variance in the deck, somewhat reliable deck farming, and an absolute limitation on the gently caress you cards (since Failures are permanently removed from the game once used). The line of sight system is also memorable. It was a good game for 1998, and it's far superior to Munchkin in every conceivable way.

It does not hold up to modern standards, which actually says more about Munchkin than Kill Doctor Lucky.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

The real question is who is going to make the opposite, much more important list: "7 Games to Play When Exploding Kittens Becomes Dull". Sure it might just be a normal list of gateway titles, but framing it around EK seems like it'll garnish attention from the influx of people whose first experience with table-top gaming is EK, which is a good thing. Say what you will about EK as a game (and I'll say it with you), but there's a silver lining in that it's likely to help guide a lot of new people into the fold who otherwise may not have ever been exposed to it.

LoanWolf
Mar 17, 2009
For anyone else who's received their pre-order of Pictomania... did you get shipping details before it showed? And where are you located? I've seen people in this thread talking about receiving theirs a week ago, but I haven't got an email or anything yet in Canada.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

LoanWolf posted:

For anyone else who's received their pre-order of Pictomania... did you get shipping details before it showed? And where are you located? I've seen people in this thread talking about receiving theirs a week ago, but I haven't got an email or anything yet in Canada.

No details. Just a game on my doorstep. I live in Florida.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Merauder posted:

The real question is who is going to make the opposite, much more important list: "7 Games to Play When Exploding Kittens Becomes Dull". Sure it might just be a normal list of gateway titles, but framing it around EK seems like it'll garnish attention from the influx of people whose first experience with table-top gaming is EK, which is a good thing. Say what you will about EK as a game (and I'll say it with you), but there's a silver lining in that it's likely to help guide a lot of new people into the fold who otherwise may not have ever been exposed to it.

It will literally be the exact same list of games. People play Munchkin and Fluxx for a decade without getting bored of them, and they'll return to Munchkin and Fluxx after this.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."

I think Gloom can be worthwhile with the right creative group, and I've heard good things about guillotine, but everything else on that list..Yeesh.

Countblanc posted:

It will literally be the exact same list of games. People play Munchkin and Fluxx for a decade without getting bored of them, and they'll return to Munchkin and Fluxx after this.

Even though I did burn up my Munchkins cards in a blaze of glory last night, I will give it credit for getting me and some friends back into board games. I basically went: Munchkin---> Dominion----->Smash up/King of Tokyo/Sentinels of the Multiverse and so on. Once I started checking this thread and BGG I really started to explore different kinds of games. So thanks, Munchkin, I guess?

Huntsekker fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 2, 2015

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Suburbia is hard. I am have not been able to even beat the easy campaign levels on the iOS version.

Huntsekker
May 2, 2003

"That really was the most fun I've had with anything Munchkin related ever."
Edit: Nothing to see here

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Huntsekker posted:

I love Munchkin. I rub it all over myself before I go to sleep every night. I have a Fluxx bodypillow.

I can see why you deleted that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Guillotine works, that's about the best I can say for it. It still has big issues with randomness and take-that. It's the first thing I thought of when I saw the design of Exploding Kittens.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Timett posted:

Pardon me while I quote myself:

Magnetic North posted:

Woo James Ernest . If you really liked Kill Doctor Lucky, have you looked at Get Lucky? It's a card game version of KDL but simplified and lightened up.

There are 15 guests, each who wishes to kill Doctor Lucky, and they are numbered 1 through 15. Each player has 2 guests in front of them, and there are 3 in the drawing room. Any extras are absent. A little pawn represents Doctor Lucky as he goes around his manse and entertains his guests in numerical order, which determines the order of play. When he visits a guest in front of a player, they may play an upgrade on either of their guests, exchange either of their guests for someone in the drawing room, or simply draw a card. They may also attempt to kill Doctor Lucky, but that must be done with the guest who he is currently visiting. The deck is full of only 2 types of cards: upgrades and spite. There are three types of upgrades: motives, weapons, and opportunities. Each guest may only have one upgrade of each type, and each improves their power to kill Doctor Lucky by 1, unless the upgrade has the same number as the guest. In that case, it is the 'perfect' opportunity, weapon or motive and improves their power by 2. If Doctor Lucky visits a player in the drawing room, each player with a number of cards in their hand lower than the number on the guest may draw a card, clockwise starting from the player controlling the non-drawing room guest who Doctor Lucky most recently left.

When a player makes an attempt on Doctor Lucky, they total their upgrades and add one for themselves. So, a guest with a perfect weapon and an imperfect opportunity has 4 attack strength. Now, each upgrade has either two, one, or zero clover leafs on it. (Each guest has them distributed randomly through their 3 upgrades, so no type of upgrade is necessarily better for this purpose.) Clockwise, players must discard cards with a number of clover leafs enough to reduce the attempt to zero, or at least as far as they wish to. Two exceptions to this: spite cards also have single clover leafs on them, and are only used to reduce attack power in the same way, but that spite sticks to that guest, permanently reducing their attack power. (This is one big reason for getting rid of a guest, once they get hobbled by spite.) Also, if a player discards a perfect upgrade for the attacker (that is, an upgrade with the same number as the guest Doctor Lucky is visiting), the attack automatically fails, even if it has no clover leafs. Play continues until an attack resolves without being reduced to zero. If that happens, the player controlling that guest wins.

One other great "Ernest-ism" is in the special two player rules. For two players, it's the same except you start with 8 cards and 3 guests, and one other rule.

Murder Changes:
After a murder attempt, the opposing player may pass some or all of the responsibility to an imaginary player named Howard. The live player always plays first, and then Howard tries to stop the murder by playing from the top of the deck. Howard will play up to X cards, where X is the amount of luck that was passed to him. For example, if Howard is responsible for 3 points of luck, he will draw up to 3 cards, stopping when the murder attempt is foiled. These cards go to the discard pile, except for Spite, which attaches to the murderer as usual.

Yeah, you could just say "Draw from the top as well" but would that be as much fun? Similarly, the cards are so mechanically simple that there's room for lots of humorous flavor text, if you like that sort of thing.

It's not going to set the world on fire, but it's silly fun with mild bluffing and risk management, with an elegant mechanical backbone. The best part is, you can get the fun of KDL with a setup of only two minutes and you don't have to worry about forgetting to move Doctor Lucky or dealing with the board or mixing up your spite chips or figuring out line of sight or 'oh poo poo we didn't move Doctor Lucky AGAIN' anything.

As far as that list goes, obviously it's tough to compare Munchkin and Fluxx to anything because they are so drat bad in such different ways. I've never played Guillotine and only played Chex Geek once. Gloom is fine. Really, I just don't think Red Dragon Inn and Get Lucky don't really deserve to be lumped in there with Munchkin. Those are perfectly serviceable, admittedly fairly luck-dependent light games. You know what I think the key difference is: resources are limited and they really can't go on forever. Get Lucky has the decency that it basically cannot run for more than a half hour because people will just run out of cards. RDI is similar in that people will just eventually start accruing alcohol and wounds, the problem is when you play with 7 or more players.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Broken Loose posted:

No details. Just a game on my doorstep. I live in Florida.

Same, Chicago.

ThaShaneTrain
Jan 2, 2009

pure mindless vandalism
:smuggo:

Deathlove posted:

Same, Chicago.

Me too, Oklahoma.

"Point to us on the toy doorstep where they left it."

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Opened the Ark of Dominion-ant and face melted extended family all weekend long. 6 players split up into two 3 player games. We used non-randomized custom kingdoms from either the dominion strategy top custom kingdoms of 2014 or the the top rated kingdoms from dominiondecks.com. After a round, we would would swap kingdoms and play another round to shorten setup time and so we could all talk about it after.

Game still owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
More on Counterfeit-Dominion gate -- does anyone's Intrigue say 'Made in USA' on it?