Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Azingy you beautiful man please show what you're good for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Alcatrash posted:

Calitrlolz you beautiful man please show what you're good for

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Is there a list of all the coaches somewhere? I have no idea who either of the guys were this time.

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Normally I'd be hype for Azingy, but Team 8 is running Gragas so they better loving win.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

I was never high on quas but east cost time zone let me actually watch him stream and he's absolutely unbelievable, like two and a half years ago voy boy is the only other person I've seen dominate solo q the way he does.

Man what the gently caress even happened to voyboy anyway

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Schiavona posted:

He streams regularly during the morning hours.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Alcatrash posted:

Azingy you beautiful man please show what you're good for

Which champion has the dark lourde chosen to steamroll this game with

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Dig looked much better with Cloud. They just had matchups they were never going to win. They could have won this one with him.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Team 8 could be good if they had the time to improve. Too bad their team captain turns into a pumpkin at the end of the season.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Typical Pubbie posted:

Team 8 could be good if they had the time to improve. Too bad their team captain turns into a pumpkin at the end of the season.

Yeah, RIP.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Also this is the CaliTrlolz I've been waiting for since game 1 of the split. Cho'gath next, please!

edit: lol

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Silento posted:

Also this is the CaliTrlolz I've been waiting for since game 1 of the split. Cho'gath next, please!

I think this split has really showed his limitations. He is a good top but not great, and he is a passable shotcaller but not really good. They could get someone better, although the chances of someone that good actually joining Team 8 seem low.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jayisspecial posted:

I think this split has really showed his limitations. He is a good top but not great, and he is a passable shotcaller but not really good. They could get someone better, although the chances of someone that good actually joining Team 8 seem low.

I agree, I like him for his champion pool.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
I feel so bad for Azingy. No one should be expected to carry this poo poo show.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jayisspecial posted:

I feel so bad for Azingy. No one should be expected to carry this poo poo show.

IMO, champion-pool wise, Azingy is the CaliTrlolz of the jungle.

Edit: #ShoeStrats :allears:

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Look at this poutine-eating motherfucker. Pride of Alberta. :canada:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Flameingblack posted:

Everyone always lost 1v1 tournaments in TSM to XPecial.

Actually not true.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Libertine posted:

I know all I ever do is post horrible zero content Keith posts when Liquid plays, but honestly Quas is a god. He is by far the most valuable player on Liquid's roster and I think he's absolutely world class. You can't ever ban him out, his champion pool at a competitive level is Faker-esque. If you are ever fortunate enough to watch him stream solo queue, he plays even deeper off meta stuff and just dominates with it.

Completely agree.

He was a Swain main when he first got on Curse!

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Disinterested posted:

Actually not true.
Before Bjergson got there it was

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
OP Players - Mid - Hai: "Can play Zed."

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama

Typical Pubbie posted:

OP Players - Mid - Hai: "Can play Zed."

I would say out of all the mid players this week he made the most impact, although WXW was good too. If they had just banned Zed it most certainly would have been a different story.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Flameingblack posted:

Before Bjergson got there it was

Nope. There are a lot of rumours that aren't true about xpecial and his amazing mechanics, but he himself has said in the past he could hold up against Regi and dyrus only on certain specific champions he knew well.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
As fun as it is to imagine xpecial as some godlike duelist just waiting to be unleashed source your loving quotes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Disinterested posted:

Nope. There are a lot of rumours that aren't true about xpecial and his amazing mechanics, but he himself has said in the past he could hold up against Regi and dyrus only on certain specific champions he knew well.
It's from gamecribs all the way back with their original roster where Dyrus and Oddone always had to do dishes because they couldn't beat anyone in 1v1

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The Jarvan and Renekton tourneys are on YouTube, and dyrus predictably won both. In one, dyrus says how unfair the 1v1 tournaments are because they favour turtle and the solo layers, mostly Regi, because of mechanics.

Oddone almost always lost, Regi or Turtle normally won.

If you watch xpecial's second long grilled interview after s3 world's he debunks the idea he is a secret godlike solo laner and says off of comfortable matchups Regi and dyrus would utterly wreck him.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 2, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

As fun as it is to imagine xpecial as some godlike duelist just waiting to be unleashed source your loving quotes

I think he threaded the needle of Ez spam/Nidalie spears pretty drat well that last game, by any standard.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Flameingblack posted:

It's from gamecribs all the way back with their original roster where Dyrus and Oddone always had to do dishes because they couldn't beat anyone in 1v1

This is the best way to divvy up chores, I should have done this with my roommates in college

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

Schiavona posted:

He's super depressing now because he'll tell you exactly how he's about to gently caress up and then he'll do it anyways and die. Why voyboy...

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Well, my instincts for Team 8 happened. Azingy looked like crap too. While Azingy might have had some upsides as a veteran jungler with a lot of innovation, this set of patches has poo poo on junglers more than any other recent patch. Its really the worst time to pick someone like him up when you can get someone who can play the meta picks more competently.

Porpoise on the other hand had another solid game. He's turned into a surprisingly good jungler. The battery of Porpoise and Slooshi has done work and is keeping T8 out of the basement.

I mean, who would have predicted them being tied for 5th, ahead of Winterfox and Dig?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Libertine posted:

I know all I ever do is post horrible zero content Keith posts when Liquid plays, but honestly Quas is a god. He is by far the most valuable player on Liquid's roster and I think he's absolutely world class. You can't ever ban him out, his champion pool at a competitive level is Faker-esque. If you are ever fortunate enough to watch him stream solo queue, he plays even deeper off meta stuff and just dominates with it.
This was a good ways back during one of the Challenger tournaments but I recall a game where Quas was playing Shen top, got an early double kill in a bloody gank and countergank where he barely survived, and went back. He came back to lane with double Doran's Blades and went Triforce right after.

Quas is cool.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Challenger scene Quas was loving awesome to watch, and it's a joy to see him get back to that kind of form - even if he's not quite dropping Top Lane Vayne on fools yet.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Why did they expand the LCS? Way too much of this season has been either pointless stomps or comically sad solo queue shenanigans.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It's probably just a financial reason, but I sort of think of it along the lines of expansion in pro sports. People always worry expansion is going to dilute the talent in the league, but a lot of players rise up and fill the void, allowing for people who would otherwise languish in obscurity a chance to perform at a high level. With the conditions that challenger series teams play in, I can see being in the LCS as a huge advantage. Players get a steady paycheck and teams have more of an incentive to stick around and can pay for coaches, et cetera. Most challenger teams face significant disadvantages when compared to established LCS teams in so far as infrastructure goes and really won't be able to compete, but should theoretically have a huge advantage over teams who didn't make it, making it easier to avoid relegation and continue improving.

Whether or not teams are able to leverage their new opportunity over the course of the split, we can't say yet really. There are a lot of other hurdles, and there's always the chance that the new LCS teams don't take advantage of their new tools at all and just gently caress around for a bit before losing in the relegation tournament.

I think that expanding in the short term is going to make for some really snowbally and bad games but that there's opportunity for growth. After seeing this whole MYM thing go down Riot probably needs some sort of vetting process for organizations, however. That's kind of a tough concept because teams aren't even necessarily tied to one, which is not how things work in any other traditional sport. I sort of wonder if we're going to see more veteran players try to put together a team with the proper support system in place.

Well anyways that's my thoughts on Grabity and their leather jackets.

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Also the 5 matches per day and every team playing 2 matches per week set-up is really nice.

I'm looking forward to next split. Hopefully Origen can fill the competitive void that MYM has created. I don't know who's the best Challenger team in NA right now (Fusion?) but they surely can't be worse than Coast, I guess we'll see. Gravity and T8 are honestly holding up pretty well compared to my challenger series promotion expectations. One of the worst teams right now is Dignitas, who has been in the LCS from the beginning, so there would have been a lot of stomps/free games regardless of the expansion to 10 teams.

Mr. Sickos fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 2, 2015

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Solo king tournament is on! Marin vs Ssumday now http://www.azubu.tv/Azubukr?ref=carousel

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

theshim posted:

This was a good ways back during one of the Challenger tournaments but I recall a game where Quas was playing Shen top, got an early double kill in a bloody gank and countergank where he barely survived, and went back. He came back to lane with double Doran's Blades and went Triforce right after.

Quas is cool.

I don't know if it's still true but Shen with a few offensive items used to be the same kind of damage threat as Jax. Remember, his passive does similar damage to Jax's passive at higher levels, the passive is still counting down if someone is running away, they trigger about as often from autoattacking if shen has W up and it gives back energy so he can spam abilities. The problem is that he needs to hit both attack speed and hp to do it and it's an awkward build until later on but if you're ahead then TF Shen is legit.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The xpecial interview link where he talks about his solo laning ability from just after S3 Worlds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNS9Ts6Dpuc

Xpecial getting stomped off of familiar champions in 1v1's (although he beats Regi 1v1 on J4, he loses to Turtle, Dyrus and Oddone):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUIFzjme6Ao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qpK0lDBiEM

Basically the point is in like S1 and S1 preseason when positions were super locked and people played whatever, Xpecial used to be able to hold up pretty good, and he could also play certain specific matchups well (although beating Regi on Ahri vs Morgana in S3 is not much of an achievement).

But, as you will gather from these videos and others from the time, Turtle, Regi and Dyrus won most of the time, and Oddone came last most of the time, in 1v1 tourneys in-house.

That shows you that talking about 'mechanics' too generally is a mistake, but it's definitely real - Turtle was, IIRC, the most consistent winner.

NovemberMike posted:

I don't know if it's still true but Shen with a few offensive items used to be the same kind of damage threat as Jax. Remember, his passive does similar damage to Jax's passive at higher levels, the passive is still counting down if someone is running away, they trigger about as often from autoattacking if shen has W up and it gives back energy so he can spam abilities. The problem is that he needs to hit both attack speed and hp to do it and it's an awkward build until later on but if you're ahead then TF Shen is legit.

There's stuff that gets in the way of that. Shen is really strong in a lot of splitpush matchups but he has certain things to think about :

(1) It's hard to be an effective splitpusher with 0 waveclear, usually forcing him to go Sunfire early (which is super synergistic with this kit tbf). Before that he used to get the old shiv-esque item, the name of which I forget.
(2) If you go triforce you will have hella damage but you're usually being picked as a tank and you will be so-so at that for a while.
(3) When you start playing Shen, the Shen counters come out. Vlad literally shits all over Shen and Shen can never outscale it.

Overall Shen is good against autoattack-dependent top carries like Trynd and Jax in lane, but he can still get outscaled at 6 items somewhat, whether or not he goes damage. Vs. most of them he has to use his kit advantage to get ahead and stay there.

The good thing about Shen also used to be that with the specific right runes he could handle Renekton (flat armour even for quints).

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Faker lost the first 1v1 to GBM because he backed and GBM just rushed his turret down hahaahahaha

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

GreyPowerVan posted:

Faker lost the first 1v1 to GBM because he backed and GBM just rushed his turret down hahaahahaha

GBM > Faker clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love how GBM is being super serious and banning LB, Annie, and Liss. Faker is still banning Garen, Galio, Gangplank as normal.

He's also playing Karthus (and can't use the passive, because... lol)

• Locked thread