Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Being Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces is a political position.

Also, he was a Governor :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Neither did Eisenhower.

Eisenhower was amazing at politics and made Monty feel the inferior commander he really was.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Neither did Eisenhower.

Eisenhower was a military leader and an outstanding politician. Just because you haven't held political office doesn't mean you don't know how to work people over. Carson is a good neurosurgeon, but he's got a 13-year-old's view of the world.

E: Read Jean Edward Smith's "Eisenhower in War and Peace". As biographies go, it's a fantastic portrait of the man. He was basically the only army general aside from maybe Marshall who had people skills.

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 2, 2015

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Alter Ego posted:

Carson is a good neurosurgeon, but he's got a 13-year-old's view of the world.
He's perfect as a red state rep. He's lived in such a bubble he can't conceive of things outside of it.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's not a guaranteed shoe in because if there's one group that hates Cruz more than the national GOP it's the Perry machine for loving over dewhurst in his senate campaign.

Cruz pissed off the Perry Machine by becoming a U.S. Senator, that's hardly a bad move politically. The only political malpractice would be the Perry machine holding a grudge, look at Mitch McConnell vis-a-vis Rand Paul.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Being Supreme Commander of the Allied Forces is a political position.

Also, he was a Governor :v:

Just all the bullshit he had to put up with from Monty and the Free French made him more than qualified to be president.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Malloreon posted:

Does Rubio's completely fabricated "my parents were escaping Castro and seeking freedom in America" story and the subsequent admission they left years before the takeover disqualify him?

Absolutely no effect on his qualifications. On the other hand he's a Florida RINO in the same race as Jeb.

What's loving him over is trying to do something on Immigration and Jeb Bush kneecapping him at the base. No one in Florida is going to back Rubio over Jeb, and without a fundraising base of support there's no where for him to go nationally. Also since no one but him and Senator Menedez actually care about the embargo he's got no issues to run on. Unless he wants to dig his grave even further by running on Immigration, which Jeb Bush also has taken from him.

Between W and Jeb it looks like dark haired white people are the only one's getting a fair shake.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Just all the bullshit he had to put up with from Monty and the Free French made him more than qualified to be president.

when de Gaulle wanted a french regiment to liberate Paris Eisenhower was like "ok but it has to be all white frenchmen"

de Gaulle then had to mix and match because he didn't have an all-white regiment

eisenhower was poo poo
they were all poo poo

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

except for marshall? maybe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

V. Illych L. posted:

except for marshall? maybe
You should've seen the other guys, though

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

when de Gaulle wanted a french regiment to liberate Paris Eisenhower was like "ok but it has to be all white frenchmen"

de Gaulle then had to mix and match because he didn't have an all-white regiment

eisenhower was poo poo
they were all poo poo

Eisenhower made up for it with the 1958 Civil Rights Act, though.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
But think of what Rubio will have had to do in order to make it to the general. He will have to literally camp out on the banks of the Rio Grande, and fire a rifle at Mexicans.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

A couple people have mentioned it already, but the fun thing about Cruz is that I can't see him ever giving up and conceding defeat. I can imagine him taking his one or two states all the way to the convention, trying his damnedest to cause a brokered convention, starting a write-in campaign, going to court to demand a recount after the final numbers are in, then fleeing back to Canada to raise an army after declaring himself President In Exile.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ted Cruz is a failed politician, if he vanished into the warp and a democrat popped out in his place his party would actually get MORE done. So unless Ted Cruz is a terminator sent to us from the future to destroy the Republican party, he's not achieving his goals.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Venom Snake posted:

Ted Cruz is a failed politician, if he vanished into the warp and a democrat popped out in his place his party would actually get MORE done. So unless Ted Cruz is a terminator sent to us from the future to destroy the Republican party, he's not achieving his goals.

Only if Ted Cruz was supposed to care about anyone but Ted Cruz.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

computer parts posted:

They finally did it. They elected FYGM personified.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

Considering how he actively sabotages himself at every corner he most really be into being dominated.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yeah Ted Cruz is a demagogue who is positioning himself to be the biggest speaking draw on the right after his political career flames out. He's like Newt without the desire to do business or even ambitions of benevolently ruling the world. I don't know what he wants but I keep getting flashes of an endless plain covered in bones.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Deteriorata posted:

Eisenhower made up for it with the 1958 Civil Rights Act, though.

And with integrating the US military.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Venom Snake posted:

Ted Cruz is an extremely successful politician by most metrics, that's not mutually exclusive with him harming his party's national ambition.

The things that have made Cruz successful are the same things that will (hopefully) prevent him from ever becoming his party's nominee, but they are certainly the only reason he's even in the conversation.

DynamicSloth fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 2, 2015

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Warcabbit posted:

And with integrating the US military.

frustrated_Truman_punching_own_hat.gif

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

A couple people have mentioned it already, but the fun thing about Cruz is that I can't see him ever giving up and conceding defeat. I can imagine him taking his one or two states all the way to the convention, trying his damnedest to cause a brokered convention, starting a write-in campaign, going to court to demand a recount after the final numbers are in, then fleeing back to Canada to raise an army after declaring himself President In Exile.

If Rand runs like his pappy then Republicans are in for a lot of annoyed sighs with two relentless assholes continuing on no matter what to the Convention. One primarily because he's an rear end and the other primarily because he's a conman, both united in the pursuit of the sweet, sweet, payday.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

DynamicSloth posted:

Ted Cruz is an extremely successful politician by most metrics, that's not mutually exclusive with him harming his party's national ambition.

The things that have made Cruz successful are the same things that will (hopefully) prevent him from ever becoming his party's nominee, but they are certainly the only reason he's even in the conversation.

If you count "being elected" as the metric to go by, but he's achieved none of his policy goals.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ted Cruz is basically Rorschach.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I see Ted Cruz as basically a sniveling little poo poo, but my dad sees a conservative warrior-scholar. HELP!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Aliquid posted:

I see Ted Cruz as basically a sniveling little poo poo, but my dad sees a conservative warrior-scholar. HELP!
Kill you're parents.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Nessus posted:

For most presidential candidates, I have the feeling they are at least above average in intelligence. Even W. just wasn't very articulate - and perhaps not intellectually curious. But he wasn't "dumb" except perhaps in comparison to Al Gore. Similarly, other people may be insane but they aren't necessarily 'stupid'.

I don't think this is true for Walker. I think Walker is just a dumb-rear end.

But he'd sign what they put in front of him, which is the primary purpose of a Republican president, so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Presidential_IQ_hoax#IQ_estimations_by_academics
(there was a hoax, but there are actual estimates of presidential iq here) looks like GWB has 125-130 iq. The dude is not at all dumb, but he's one of the dumbest presidents. This really surprised me since I thought GWB had an iq of like, 105 max.

Yeah, Walker has a really dumb face. Not sure if he is actually dumb since all I know about him is people saying he busted unions.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I see a good number of "Ted Cruz for President!" stickers and signs around. I know stickers and signs don't vote but the people that subscribe to his sanctimonious way of "sticking it to the liberals/RINOs/blactakers" poo poo really adore him. I kinda feel like if he hadn't stumbled his way int the Senate he could have set up a nice Ron Paul style house seat and perpetual running for president money train combination.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's John Bolton's background? How did he become a UN ambassador despite being, as far as I can tell, a bloodlusted warmonger?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

gradenko_2000 posted:

What's John Bolton's background? How did he become a UN ambassador despite being, as far as I can tell, a bloodlusted warmonger?

The Presidential administration of George W. Bush was very bad and made bad decisions.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

redreader posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Presidential_IQ_hoax#IQ_estimations_by_academics
(there was a hoax, but there are actual estimates of presidential iq here) looks like GWB has 125-130 iq. The dude is not at all dumb, but he's one of the dumbest presidents. This really surprised me since I thought GWB had an iq of like, 105 max.

Yeah, Walker has a really dumb face. Not sure if he is actually dumb since all I know about him is people saying he busted unions.

:stare:

"Histometry" is essentially the invention of one guy with no actual scientific basis. It's as credible as phrenology. He could just be making up numbers out of thin air and no one would know the difference as there is no way to cross-check his results with another methodology.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

redreader posted:

Bush wasn't necessarily stupid, he just has brain damage from decades of drug and alcohol abuse.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?
Walker officially flip-flops on amnesty, will say or do whatever is necessary to gain nomination:

Scott Walker on immigration: my view has changed

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
He should stick to his guns if he wants to win the nomination like noted gun-stickers John McCain and Mitt Romney.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Aliquid posted:

Point out that if he were either of those things, he would have taken up the offer to go on The Daily Show. That he hasn't indicates he's even afraid of a comedian.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Mar 2, 2015

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Reagan/Bush admin flack -> AEI -> Bush admin flack -> UN

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Deep Hurting posted:

Bush wasn't necessarily stupid, he just has brain damage from decades of drug and alcohol abuse.

That latter part is surely true, but I've yet to see much to suggest that wasn't W a complete dumbass before he fried what few cognitive abilities he might have previously had.

*delicately lays post down on trigger of a bear trap*
*hides behind cover while awaiting Sedan Chair's approach*

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Wabbit posted:

Walker officially flip-flops on amnesty, will say or do whatever is necessary to gain nomination:

Scott Walker on immigration: my view has changed

Also addresses the whole protesters/terrorists thing:

quote:

The Republican governor, who is weighing a bid for the White House, also responded to criticisms that he compared the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant to Wisconsin union protesters during a CPAC appearance last week, saying then: “If I could take on 100,000 protesters, I can do the same across the world.”

Asked if there’s a difference between protesters and terrorists, Walker said: “There is, absolutely. I made that clear, and I want to make it clear right now.”

“I'm not comparing those two entities,” he said. “What I meant was, it’s about leadership. The leadership we provided under extremely difficult circumstances, arguably the most difficult of any governor in the country maybe in recent times. To me I apply that to say, ‘If I were to run and if I were to win and be commander in chief, I believe that kind of leadership is what’s necessary to take on radical Islamic terrorism.’

Which, while bananas, is totally in line with conventional Republican ideology. This seemed like what he was getting at before, frankly, but in case anyone was confused.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 2, 2015

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Even with that explanation, having protesters like that is not at all comparable to dealing with armed terrorists in terms of pressure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Deep Hurting posted:

I'm reading Days of Fire right now ("even handed" summary of the W Bush Administration) and one of his biggest problems was it took him forever to figure out that his speeches weren't just heard by Americans, but by the entire world, which went a long way in alienating allies and inciting terrorists in the Middle East. He was so isolated and uncurious about the world that he just didn't get it that a cocky, swaggery speech that killed with "the base" maybe had the opposite effect when heard by people in France or Turkey or Afghanistan.

In terms of pure intelligence, he wasn't "dumb", you can't be legit dumb and get elected President (yet, thank God), but he was both inexperienced as a politician and woefully uneducated and uninterested in world events, so he delegated to people who turned out to be shortsighted, incompetent, or evil.

And like redreader said, while he isn't "dumb" (probably has an IQ of 115-120), he's definitely one of the dumbest Presidents, if not the dumbest.

• Locked thread