Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
I can't stop laughing at Goku shouting YOU gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I did like how frieza's goons basically stuck his bits in a fancy garbage can while driving him to the healing tank

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Cooler isn't real.

Also Freeza without any training what so ever was neck and neck with a super saiyin.

Nope!

A thing in shounen in general and DBZ in specific, and this is even called out specifically, kinda, in Battle of Gods, is that just knowing that another tier of power is attainable helps you train to become stronger than you could if you didn't. I think in the Android saga, the saiyans, especially Gohan, gain more power in a single year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber than they do in the three years of training beforehand.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The dark secret of the Dragonball Z universe is that there is no upper limit to power. Everyone has unlimited power but they have to justify it like a game of Calvinball.

Humans just have lovely imagination.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

ImpAtom posted:

Humans just have lovely imagination.

Except for Tien, of course.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

RZApublican posted:

Except for Tien, of course.
since when do humans have three eyes?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

bowmore posted:

since when do humans have three eyes?

It's a bit like Krillin not having a nose.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
some humans don't have noses

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Yo does the customisation for the Earthling race in Xenoverse let me make King Dog?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Some humans are dogs, like the king of the planet.

Edit:

Prison Warden posted:

Yo does the customisation for the Earthling race in Xenoverse let me make King Dog?

No, unfortunately. The best you can do with earthlings and saiyans is some alien-looking skin-colours and not having a nose.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Prison Warden posted:

A thing in shounen in general and DBZ in specific, and this is even called out specifically, kinda, in Battle of Gods, is that just knowing that another tier of power is attainable helps you train to become stronger than you could if you didn't. I think in the Android saga, the saiyans, especially Gohan, gain more power in a single year in the Hyperbolic Time Chamber than they do in the three years of training beforehand.

So if Goku were to meet Superman and then trained really hard...

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So basically they should have just told Goku about Beerus right off the bat and he would have effortlessly steamrolled everything.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

WickedHate posted:

The term is Arcosian. :smug:

Actually...

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I like that this explains why Gohan and Picollo didn't show up while Frezia was in the tank and fillet him. They took him off planet asap so they just had no idea where he was.

Plot Hole filled.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

StrifeHira posted:

Actually...

...Huh. I did not expect that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

StrifeHira posted:

Actually...

Then why doesn't the character creation screen call them that, instead of 'Frieza Race?' dammit xenoverse

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Endorph posted:

Then why doesn't the character creation screen call them that, instead of 'Frieza Race?' dammit xenoverse

Because only Perfect beings know their true name. :smug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Shame about Tagoma. I rather liked his look. Anyway Piccolo went from being around Freeza's 2nd forms level to being stronger then Freeza at his peak in a year. So I can believe that Freeza who had never even attempted to train and heighten his power can become super strong with a little training.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

StrifeHira posted:

Actually...

I've never had Cell say that to my Freiza dude.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
In manga canon they're unnamed entirely.

In show canon they are unquestionably Arcosians.

Case closed.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Where in the show did they say Arcosians? Genuinely curious, I thought it was ancient fanon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Where in the show did they say Arcosians? Genuinely curious, I thought it was ancient fanon.

In the show, there's a filler scene that shows a masked, robed alien species called Arcosians giving the Saiyans tech in exchange for exterminating planet's populations, which is their job under the Planet Trade Orginization. I think King Kai was telling Goku this, which is also when he said Planet Vegeta was destroyed by their version of Kami summoning astroids because they were so evil.

"Arcosian" only showed up in the dub though, so it's two degrees seperate from canon.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...so King Kai was just full of poo poo, pretty much.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
An explanation I've heard is that King Kai was trying to avoid tempting Goku to seek Freeza out. It's not like he expected him to end up in space to find out otherwise.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...you know, between King Kai doing exactly that with regards to Beerus in Battle of Gods, and them reusing the filler joke where Tao Pai Pai mistook Gohan for Kid Goku, I'm kinda wondering if Revival of F is gonna have a dramatic driving test scene now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Prison Warden posted:

Nope, but they better add Animal People, Monster/Demon People(like Ghiran and Dabura), and Androids(including not just Dr Gero style, but Dr Miu, Dr Wheelo, and Dr Raichi style Androids as well) as options for Xenoverse's inevitable sequel(along with maybe a generic Alien option as well)

Also man does Dragon Ball have a lot of Mad Scientists when you think about it

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

StrifeHira posted:

Actually...

Dragon Ball Multiverse affecting the real world? Is this a fantasy?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

drrockso20 posted:

Nope, but they better add Animal People, Monster/Demon People(like Ghiran and Dabura), and Androids(including not just Dr Gero style, but Dr Miu, Dr Wheelo, and Dr Raichi style Androids as well) as options for Xenoverse's inevitable sequel(along with maybe a generic Alien option as well)

Just give us a Mad Scientist playable "Race", half of which are android/cyborg and half of which are the Briefs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

...you know, between King Kai doing exactly that with regards to Beerus in Battle of Gods, and them reusing the filler joke where Tao Pai Pai mistook Gohan for Kid Goku, I'm kinda wondering if Revival of F is gonna have a dramatic driving test scene now.

Dragon Ball Z Wacky Races is too good, too pure, for this sinful Earth.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

drrockso20 posted:

Giran was just a dinosaur though. I wouldn't mind a Demon Namekian option, myself.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

LORD OF BUTT posted:

King Kai doesn't have to tell you everything. King Kai doesn't have to tell you anything.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Justin_Brett posted:

Giran was just a dinosaur though. I wouldn't mind a Demon Namekian option, myself.

Well by Monster I clearly mean Dinosaur people(I'm just lumping Ghiran there for simplicity, since that's where Piccolo's monster offspring would go as well as most of Babidi's henchmen since he'd aesthetically fit better there than with more normal Animal People)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 2, 2015

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

From a certain point of view.

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
He didn't teach the other guys the Kaioken nor the Genki dama.

Goku was also awful. He trained with Picolo and Gohan for years and didn't teach them those nor the instant transmission.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Captain Quack posted:

He didn't teach the other guys the Kaioken nor the Genki dama.

Goku was also awful. He trained with Picolo and Gohan for years and didn't teach them those nor the instant transmission.

gotta stay relevant somehow

honestly of everything i'm really most surprised gohan wasn't using the special beam cannon left right and centre given piccolo was such a big influence on him

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Two Finger posted:

honestly of everything i'm really most surprised gohan wasn't using the special beam cannon left right and centre given piccolo was such a big influence on him

He couldn't pronounce it.

To some extent Toriyama must have known Goku was a poo poo dad. In Gohan's most dramatic fight he's wearing the getup of Piccolo and not the knockoff turtle pajamas like everyone else.

In Dragonball the turtle gi looked red on introduction. I like that better than orange. Oh well.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Gohan always looked best in his Piccolo getup. If Goku was able to do introspection at all, he'd probably be a bit upset that his son was dressed up like the guy who tried to kill him. Did Demon-King Piccolo wear the same outfit? I can't recall.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Yeah, King Piccolo dressed the same except for a pinkish red cape instead of the white cape and turban when he wasn't fighting.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Two Finger posted:

A 5 minute start-up time is pretty abysmal in terms of usability in battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

mmkay posted:

A 5 minute start-up time is pretty abysmal in terms of usability in battle.

I thought by the end of it he could fire those motherfuckers off at a whim?

• Locked thread