Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Halo14 posted:

Oh man...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

The PM of Australia is incapable of understanding that we're detaining and torturing children* to the point of self harm and suicide attempts. AND THAT THE CHILDREN* ARE STILL IN CONCENTRATION CAMPS.

*and adults

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Halo14 posted:

Oh man...

Joe Hockey attempts to keep Prime Minister Tony Abbott entertained with a rousing game of peekaboo.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

kingcom posted:

Joe Hockey attempts to keep Prime Minister Tony Abbott entertained with a rousing game of peekaboo.

reversed order for extra lols

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

ewe2 posted:

This is the other selling point of putting Bishop in. Meanwhile Morrison plays Economic Safe Hands and Bishop mysteriously gives way for the Best Interests of the Party. Win-win, dump a woman and claim clean hands. Bishop is the perfect Downer, she doesn't even have to get anything right, she just has to be the fall guy. There is no way the Liberal party would keep her in for an election unless they planned to lose it.
Not even a federal Lib politician is naive enough to actively want to cycle through three PMs in their first term.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/16/us/eavesdropping-ensnared-american-law-firm.html?_r=0

quote:

The government of Indonesia had retained the law firm for help in trade talks, according to the February 2013 document. It reports that the N.S.A.’s Australian counterpart, the Australian Signals Directorate, notified the agency that it was conducting surveillance of the talks, including communications between Indonesian officials and the American law firm, and offered to share the information.

The Australians told officials at an N.S.A. liaison office in Canberra, Australia, that “information covered by attorney-client privilege may be included” in the intelligence gathering, according to the document, a monthly bulletin from the Canberra office. The law firm was not identified, but Mayer Brown, a Chicago-based firm with a global practice, was then advising the Indonesian government on trade issues.

On behalf of the Australians, the liaison officials asked the N.S.A. general counsel’s office for guidance about the spying. The bulletin notes only that the counsel’s office “provided clear guidance” and that the Australian agency “has been able to continue to cover the talks, providing highly useful intelligence for interested US customers.”

The documents show that the N.S.A. and the Australians jointly run a large signals intelligence facility in Alice Springs, Australia, with half the personnel from the American agency. The N.S.A. and its Australian counterpart have also cooperated on efforts to defeat encryption. A 2003 memo describes how N.S.A. personnel sought to “mentor” the Australians while they tried to break the encryption used by the armed forces of nearby Papua New Guinea.

Most of the collaboration between the N.S.A. and the Australian eavesdropping service is focused on Asia, with China and Indonesia receiving special attention.

The Americans and the Australians secretly share broad access to the Indonesian telecommunications system, the documents show. The N.S.A. has given the Australians access to bulk call data from Indosat, an Indonesian telecommunications provider, according to a 2012 agency document. That includes data on Indonesian government officials in various ministries, the document states.

The Australians have obtained nearly 1.8 million encrypted master keys, which are used to protect private communications, from the Telkomsel mobile telephone network in Indonesia, and developed a way to decrypt almost all of them, according to a 2013 N.S.A. document.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Christ, is there nothing the former Labor government wouldn't do? I fully expect a royal commission into the illegal acts of the former Labor government and I trust that former Labor government will be held accountable for its misdeeds.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I haven't posted anything to it though?

edit: oh, I see now - someone's playing tricks

I should've known that it couldn't've been you, since it was funny and not insufferable

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Hello thread. It's a shame all this build up to the NSW election is just going to lead to a retained Lib government.

The QLD election was such a nice surprise :smith:

So the censure against Brandis pretty much means "the sitting government disapproves of what you did". Seems fairly toothless.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Hello thread. It's a shame all this build up to the NSW election is just going to lead to a retained Lib government.

If QLD taught us anything its that polls that use preference assumptions from 'wave' elections are not very good at predicting what will happen once the wave recedes.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2015/03/why-the-baird-government-is-vulnerable.html

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

If QLD taught us anything its that polls that use preference assumptions from 'wave' elections are not very good at predicting what will happen once the wave recedes.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/antonygreen/2015/03/why-the-baird-government-is-vulnerable.html

Just the headline cheers me up :allears:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Thanks for the help guys, some of those links are excellent and really help. Zetsubou-san and trunkh message me to be showered in gifts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

V for Vegas posted:

Might be a repost but Bonham's got a long analysis of the polls too, and comes to a broadly similar conclusion

quote:

Overall it is very hard for Labor to win this unless Canberra factors trash the Coalition's primary even more. The current 2PP is enough to very likely withstand a Queensland-style change in preferences, the change in preferences probably won't be as large anyway, and the Canberra factor might be close to maxing out even if Abbott survives. The Coalition won't be going to this one asking minor party voters to preference a party that was about to lose its leader's seat.

I do think it's possible for the Coalition to lose this one as well, however. As well as the Canberra factor, any government that goes to an election proposing even the most modest of privatisations seems to leave itself open to a backlash. I don't think Labor will win at this stage, but it's a more realistic chance than it might seem. NSW Liberals who are nervous that the continuing presence of Abbott as PM might cause them to throw this one away too, have good reason to be.

Also think this is the key thing to take away:

quote:

I do, however, have doubts that the preferencing shift in NSW will be as strong [as in Qld]. Mike Baird isn't Campbell Newman; his government may be disliked by left-wingers, but doesn't bring out the same level of loathing reserved for the Newmans and Abbotts of this world. It is unclear whether a "put the Coalition last" campaign will have the same appeal as "put the LNP last" did in Queensland. And whereas Queensland Labor was seen as a small Opposition bravely recovering against almost insurmountable odds (the haplessness of the later Bligh days now forgotten), the NSW ALP may be more scarred by the damage done by Obeid, Tripodi, Macdonald et al.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Just the headline cheers me up :allears:

Labor isn't much better. Now if the headline was something like Greens might win or get enough to hold the BoP, then maybe...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Apparently Widodo denies ever telling Abbott over the phone that he was considering changing his position on the death penalty.

quote:

President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo has contradicted Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott’s claim that the President gave him an indication that he might soften his stance on the planned executions of 11 prisoners, including two Australian drug smugglers.

In an interview with daily business newspaper Kontan on Friday, the President reiterated that he would not commute the sentences imposed on drug traffickers as the country was in a state of emergency caused by drug abuse. He insisted that the executions of the convicts would go ahead as scheduled. On Thursday, the government had initially kept silent after Abbott issued his statement.

“Our position is clear: our laws cannot be interfered with,” the newspaper quoted Jokowi as saying. 

Abbott said he spoke with his “friend” Jokowi on Wednesday evening and claimed that the Indonesian leader “absolutely understands our position [...] and I think he is carefully considering Indonesia’s position”.

Abbott called Jokowi on Wednesday evening. It was part of the “damage control” conducted by the Australian leader after his earlier remarks, which linked Australia’s huge financial aid to Aceh after the 2004 tsunami to the executions of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, angered many Indonesians.

However, as reported by Reuters, Abbott declined to reveal the details of their telephone conversation. “I don’t want to raise hope that might turn out to be dashed,” said Abbott, who attended the inauguration of Jokowi as the country’s seventh president in October last year. - See more at: http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2015/02/28/jokowi-denies-abbott-s-claim-about-executions.html#sthash.Lsj4l25F.dpuf
Sounds like the same trick he played with Bishop before the first spill except Widodo isn't beholden to Abbott so he called his bluff.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
why does he even loving lie

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The QLD election was such a nice surprise :smith:

So the censure against Brandis pretty much means "the sitting government disapproves of what you did". Seems fairly toothless.

There is literally no way Brandis et al would ever face any real consequences. Official shaming is probably the best we will get and I wouldn't underestimate its sting. They were so upset over one of their mouth pieces being a convicted racist they tried to change the constitution.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Ragingsheep posted:

Labor isn't much better. Now if the headline was something like Greens might win or get enough to hold the BoP, then maybe...

I hold out hope that the Upper House will have a less poo poo makeup.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

katlington posted:

Sounds like the same trick he played with Bishop before the first spill except Widodo isn't beholden to Abbott so he called his bluff.
I'm not sure with Abbott if he's wilfully lying (because even Abbott wouldn't be dim enough to try that with the Indonesian president). It could be that when people are diplomatically polite with him he interprets that what he wants to hear rather than paying attention to what they are actually saying.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Seagull posted:

why does he even loving lie

Why does a dog bark?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

I'm not sure with Abbott if he's wilfully lying (because even Abbott wouldn't be dim enough to try that with the Indonesian president). It could be that when people are diplomatically polite with him he interprets that what he wants to hear rather than paying attention to what they are actually saying.

Could be, though is it more or less dumb than threatening humanitarian aid, do you think? 😜

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

katlington posted:

There is literally no way Brandis et al would ever face any real consequences. Official shaming is probably the best we will get and I wouldn't underestimate its sting. They were so upset over one of their mouth pieces being a convicted racist they tried to change the constitution.

Fair enough. can they censure Abbott next for constantly misrepresenting the report and Triggs?

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

Fair enough. can they censure Abbott next for constantly misrepresenting the report and Triggs?

Abbott opening his mouth isn't self-censuring enough?

But seriously if all this censuring amounts to is a piece of paper to the effect of "We the Senate think George Brandis stinks" then :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Can the Senate actually censure a member from the lower house?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Gough Suppressant posted:

Why does a dog bark?

Fear or bravad oh.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

katlington posted:

Could be, though is it more or less dumb than threatening humanitarian aid, do you think? 😜
I can believe Abbott in that he didn't intend that to be a threat. It just came across as one because he's really, really bad at public speaking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah, it's been done. Happened to Howard, amongst others.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School

NTRabbit posted:

Just having a skim of http://www.aph.gov.au/About_Parliament/Senate/Powers_practice_n_procedures/odgers13?file=chapter19&section=05 - it looks like the Senate can censure ministers but not members with no portfolio, and they've censured Prime Ministers before.

e: It also reads like the senate can impose penalties on ministers if they really aren't playing ball wrt producing documents etc. but I only pretend to be a constitutional lawyer on the internet.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

SeekOtherCandidate posted:

Remind me, what's actually the point of the ALP again?

Waste.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Trapezium Dave posted:

Not even a federal Lib politician is naive enough to actively want to cycle through three PMs in their first term.

Its not like they want it, more that they're sleepwalking into it from cowardice and incompetence. They have to get rid of Abbott and Hockey, and their best option if not Turnbull and Bishop, is Bishop and Morrison. That's not a stable combination. Unless you have a cunning plan, we'd all like to hear it?

A more general explanation of motions covers the various possible censures and notes when that has happened here

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 2, 2015

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

Splode posted:

Mate you came back and just posted first dog. Go back to where you came from.
I do more than just post first dog, but since you asked so nicely:

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
Even if the Senate did pass a censure motion against Abbott, what would it accomplish? Could it be used as reasoning for a leadership spill, or a vote of no confidence? Considering how useless he already is and how little LNP voters and supporters within the party seem to care, I would have thought any censure against him would just be brushed off as LABOR WASTE of senate time.

Kind of sucks that all a censure motion means is 'we the Senate think this person sucks', I doubt it will influence people who don't already know that Brandis is a literal human turd.

e: why is First Dog considered worth posting and, more importantly, who the hell is still paying for these textwalls with minimal illustration to be made

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
any takers?

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Needs the "peekaboo" line to match.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4-sHXbWY6o

PEEKABOO I CAN SEE YOU AND I KNOW WHAT YOU DO

edit: trigger warning, clowns.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 2, 2015

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Ten Becquerels posted:

e: why is First Dog considered worth posting and, more importantly, who the hell is still paying for these textwalls with minimal illustration to be made

That bastion of :words:, The Guardian

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

I would have 15 min ago but for obvious reasons won't now.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
The lib/nats will probably stay in power in NSW, but it seems unlikely they will increase their standing in the upper house. What chance is there that the TAFE legislation will be blocked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

*you received a new iMessage*

---

"Sit on it, fatso"

• Locked thread