Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

That's what I mean, millions dead in each space battle is not enough for him.

None of them are space Jews, so what does it space matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

He would be in the Earth Cult.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So he's totally a Zeon fan.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Liberal_L33t posted:

Now that we've gotten the news that Obama may have threatened outright attack of Netanyahu's bombers in response to a planned 2014 Israeli attack (obviously intended to drag the U.S. into an invasion of Iran)

Kim Jong Il posted:

Consider the source. There's no way that story is true.
You know, I'm almost wondering if this might end up backfiring on the Republicans pushing the story. The fact that the story is gaining so much traction in the right-wing crazy bubble is pretty obviously an attempt to shore up support for Bibi and Israel and paint Obama (and Iran/the Iranian negotiations) as the bad guy, but there's also the line of thought that I've already seen brought up that basically goes:

:toughguy:"Sure, blow that motherfucker out of the sky, better that than Israel starting/dragging the US into (another) huge war that leads to hundreds of thousands of US, Israeli, and Iranian casualties (both military and civilian)."

I could see that line of thought appealing to quite a few people in America who have been recently disillusioned with Bibi thanks to the poo poo he's pulled/is pulling, and to be super loving honest I agree with that line of thought. If Israel really wants to start a hot war with Iran then you're on your own dudes, good loving luck with that poo poo.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 2, 2015

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Are you sure?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAZhtT-dUyo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

That was live action American, not ANIMOOOOO, BAKA GAIJIN!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

SedanChair posted:

It's funny to see people take all the wild allegations Romans would sling at each other at face value.

I'm not gonna lie, I'd love western politics to go back to it's origins.

"Furthermore my opponent is well known to gently caress his mother and sister and eats feces every day" beats the gently caress out of "my opponent will trash the economy".

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
MIGF speech about glorious Zion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2vrRKel6k

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

I'm watching LoGH again now. I hope you guys are happy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

I'm watching LoGH again now. I hope you guys are happy.

Happy? We are proud.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Is LOGH really that good? I never really have been able to get into Japanese space opera besides Planetes and Gundam Seed.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Crowsbeak posted:

Is LOGH really that good? I never really have been able to get into Japanese space opera besides Planetes and Gundam Seed.

Seconding this question. I have this thing where whenever I start watching something I have huge difficulty not reading/watching till the end but this is like 70.000 episodes long and I've been burned by goon advice on animes before. Would someone that loved Planetes but loving loathed Evangelion (for the angst) and Kill La Kill (for the loli) enjoy this show?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MeLKoR posted:

Seconding this question. I have this thing where whenever I start watching something I have huge difficulty not reading/watching till the end but this is like 70.000 episodes long and I've been burned by goon advice on animes before. Would someone that loved Planetes but loving loathed Evangelion (for the angst) and Kill La Kill (for the loli) enjoy this show?

If you want a snarky, jaded look at war, want a bit of distance, but don't want to watch a gazillion episodes, I can strongly recommend the Sharpe series about a working clarse British officer in the Napoleonic Wars.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

MeLKoR posted:

LOGH is basically the gold standard of quality content in anime because everything else is just dirt in comparison. Hyperbole aside, it's a political/war drama, featuring dozens of characters with names and faces (Every named character has their name/title appear on-screen the first time they show up in an episode). It's not a show for everyone but I think you'll enjoy it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Nonono anime chat get out get out get out

When I say a world without Iran is preferable to a world with a nuclear armed Iran, what I mean is one need only look at the Iraqi state to understand the implications.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

I was with you on the burned by goon advice thing but the bolded part of your post makes no sense.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Venom Snake posted:

I was with you on the burned by goon advice thing but the bolded part of your post makes no sense.

I know man but what can I say, underage tits and rear end is just not for me. :negative:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MeLKoR posted:

I know man but what can I say, underage tits and rear end is just not for me. :negative:

Not much of that in LoGH, as far as I can recall.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MeLKoR posted:

Well, there's nothing under age in KLK (This why it's on toonami now, which has a pretty strict policy regarding underage and lewdness), but I meant more the Evangelion thing. Because your not going to like LoGH if you didn't like Evangelion.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

Because your not going to like LoGH if you didn't like Evangelion.

I didn't like Evangelion and LoGH is one of my favorite series.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zerilan posted:

I didn't like Evangelion and LoGH is one of my favorite series.

I meant specifically him disliking Evangelion for the angst.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Venom Snake posted:

Because your not going to like LoGH if you didn't like Evangelion.

They are entirely different series with different themes and modes of expression, so I don't see why you would say that.

Venom Snake posted:

I meant specifically him disliking Evangelion for the angst.

Uhh... no, LoGH isn't angsty, it's jaded.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I actually kind of liked Evangalion. (Wouldn't call it Sci Fi though). Although I was going through a rather dark period of my life.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They are entirely different series with different themes and modes of expression, so I don't see why you would say that.

Uhh... no, LoGH isn't angsty, it's jaded.

Eh, I think it flip flops across the angst/jaded line a bit. Honestly I liked Evangalion so much it's kinda weird to talk to people who don't like it. It's not the "Best anime ever" like a lot of people make it out to be, but I also liked KLK so I probably just have poo poo taste :shrug:

I did adore LoGH, for the record.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a huge Evangeleon fan but Gendo Ikari is one of my favorite villians. He didn't just figure out a way to end human life as we know it, he found a way to get humanity to pay for it!

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
i loving hate all of you

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

wheez the roux posted:

i loving hate all of you

A sports avatar poster has just declared his hatred for everyone in the thread, and thus the cycle of anime discussion in complete.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
This is gone to a weird place. I'd say LOGH is about as un-anime as it is possible to be while still coming from Japan, but that it really has nothing at all to do with Iran or Palestine (though a corrupt right-wing politician who just can't seem to lose trumping up war mania as his main platform while roving extremists beat liberals and minorities in the streets does sound a bit familiar). Still, is there really so little going on that we have to sink that low? I don't think so. Aside from the Iran stuff, the US stuff, the Netanyahu stuff, and the elections stuff, one thing that seems to be flying under the radar is that the PA is getting squeezed rather hard right now.

As many of us know, due to various jurisdictional issues and agreements, a lot of taxes in the West Bank are paid to Israeli tax collectors who are then supposed to give that money to the PA, but Israel often withholds that money as a way to pressure the PA. Some of us might also remember that after the PA joined the ICC, Israel stopped transferring the tax money in retaliation. Problem is, Israel never resumed those transfers. The PA hasn't gotten any of its tax money from Israel in about three months now, and that means Israel's holding onto almost $400 million in money that belongs to the PA, causing a serious shortfall in funding. Public employees in the West Bank have already experienced a 60% pay cut in response to the lack of tax revenue, but the PA is still running out of money fast and things are getting tight. They're now reportedly taking out bank loans to fund operations, but with no respite in sight from Israel, they are rapidly running out of people crazy enough to lend money to an organization with such a bleak future. Things are going to come to a head very soon, although how soon is questionable - Fatah officials are already talking about suspending their "security cooperation" with Israel or even dissolving the PA government, but Kerry has made it known that he has personally telephoned Abbas and threatened the PA with sanctions if they do anything major before the Israeli elections.

Either way, the PA's probably going to be out of money by the end of March, and Israel shows no sign of backing down - in fact, they're only ramping up the pressure in response to the rumblings in Fatah. The Israeli state-owned power company (which the West Bank is obligated by treaty to get all their electricity from) briefly cut power to several major Palestinian cities last week, which has led to accusations of collective punishment, since the Israel Electric Company hasn't been cutting power to Israeli debtors in the middle of winter, only Palestinian debtors. On top of that, Israel just mobilized 13,000 reservists and sent several thousand of them into the West Bank for massive surprise military drills and exercises. Things could explode very soon depending on how badly Kerry managed to spook Abbas - Fatah so far seems inclined to move within the next week or two, but Kerry is pushing them very hard to wait until after the Israeli elections which are a couple of weeks out, and the PA could probably get by with not paying their employees for a month or two before things totally fall apart.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

This is gone to a weird place. I'd say LOGH is about as un-anime as it is possible to be while still coming from Japan, but that it really has nothing at all to do with Iran or Palestine (though a corrupt right-wing politician who just can't seem to lose trumping up war mania as his main platform while roving extremists beat liberals and minorities in the streets does sound a bit familiar). Still, is there really so little going on that we have to sink that low? I don't think so. Aside from the Iran stuff, the US stuff, the Netanyahu stuff, and the elections stuff, one thing that seems to be flying under the radar is that the PA is getting squeezed rather hard right now.

As many of us know, due to various jurisdictional issues and agreements, a lot of taxes in the West Bank are paid to Israeli tax collectors who are then supposed to give that money to the PA, but Israel often withholds that money as a way to pressure the PA. Some of us might also remember that after the PA joined the ICC, Israel stopped transferring the tax money in retaliation. Problem is, Israel never resumed those transfers. The PA hasn't gotten any of its tax money from Israel in about three months now, and that means Israel's holding onto almost $400 million in money that belongs to the PA, causing a serious shortfall in funding. Public employees in the West Bank have already experienced a 60% pay cut in response to the lack of tax revenue, but the PA is still running out of money fast and things are getting tight. They're now reportedly taking out bank loans to fund operations, but with no respite in sight from Israel, they are rapidly running out of people crazy enough to lend money to an organization with such a bleak future. Things are going to come to a head very soon, although how soon is questionable - Fatah officials are already talking about suspending their "security cooperation" with Israel or even dissolving the PA government, but Kerry has made it known that he has personally telephoned Abbas and threatened the PA with sanctions if they do anything major before the Israeli elections.

Either way, the PA's probably going to be out of money by the end of March, and Israel shows no sign of backing down - in fact, they're only ramping up the pressure in response to the rumblings in Fatah. The Israeli state-owned power company (which the West Bank is obligated by treaty to get all their electricity from) briefly cut power to several major Palestinian cities last week, which has led to accusations of collective punishment, since the Israel Electric Company hasn't been cutting power to Israeli debtors in the middle of winter, only Palestinian debtors. On top of that, Israel just mobilized 13,000 reservists and sent several thousand of them into the West Bank for massive surprise military drills and exercises. Things could explode very soon depending on how badly Kerry managed to spook Abbas - Fatah so far seems inclined to move within the next week or two, but Kerry is pushing them very hard to wait until after the Israeli elections which are a couple of weeks out, and the PA could probably get by with not paying their employees for a month or two before things totally fall apart.

What is Kerry pushing them about? They already joined the ICC.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

When I say a world without Iran is preferable to a world with a nuclear armed Iran, what I mean is one need only look at the Iraqi state to understand the implications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Can Kerry really threaten the PA with sanctions if one of the things they're considering doing is folding entirely, ceding responsibility for the West Bank to Israel on grounds of complete financial insolvency? How can you sanction something that wouldn't exist anymore, unless the threat is something like "if you guys let the PA fall apart the first thing we'll do when we take over is arrest all of you"?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What is Kerry pushing them about? They already joined the ICC.

Fatah is set to meet this week to discuss measures to take in response to the approaching crisis, and Fatah ministers have openly advocated taking serious action, such as canceling existing agreements with Israel, dissolving the PA government, allying with Hamas, or calling for "popular resistance" against Israel. Kerry has asked them to not do any of these things, not take any diplomatic or military actions, and not do anything else that might shake up the status quo before the Israeli elections. He claims it's because he doesn't want them to do anything that might jeopardize the resumption of peace talks after the elections, but there's no way he's anywhere near that stupid; I suspect he just doesn't want the Palestinians getting uppity and making unexpected waves in Israeli politics while the US is busy focusing our diplomatic efforts with Israel on pushing our Iran policy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dolash posted:

Can Kerry really threaten the PA with sanctions if one of the things they're considering doing is folding entirely, ceding responsibility for the West Bank to Israel on grounds of complete financial insolvency? How can you sanction something that wouldn't exist anymore, unless the threat is something like "if you guys let the PA fall apart the first thing we'll do when we take over is arrest all of you"?

Didn't Fatah leadership technically get convicted in US courts just a few weeks ago? Maybe he's threatening to get them extradited?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

I've seen this like a million times and I just noticed that the JiS ships are huge and well armed and the things attacking them are little fighters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Grondoth posted:

I've seen this like a million times and I just noticed that the JiS ships are huge and well armed and the things attacking them are little fighters.

Antisemite!

What would you do!?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dolash posted:

Sanctions on Fatah itself, maybe, or on senior Fatah members directly. Though I don't think Abbas would really go for disbanding the PA anyway. He knows it's an effective threat, and if it actually happened then Kerry would have much, much bigger problems than punishing Abbas, but ultimately, when it comes down to it, I think Abbas is way too corrupt to give up any real power and way too worried about international opinion to take any drastic action like that. The extremists in his part are suggesting it, and he's allowing them to say what they please in order to make international observers nervous and remind them that Iran isn't the only Middle East issue, but Kerry's phoning Abbas directly because he knows Abbas has the power and the will to rein things in and prevent any of this talk from becoming action.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm a space Jew

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

My Imaginary GF posted:

Indeed, looking at the Iraqi state we see that if the US invaded Iran and installed a failing puppet regime that'd barely hold onto the capital city while a horde of ravenous genocidaires roam freely on the entire rest of the country, the hypothetical nuclear arsenal would not be secured. This means that the safest course of action is for America not to elect Jeb Bush as successor of Obama.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

wheez the roux posted:

i loving hate all of you

I think we found the best way to troll MIGF, though.

Also, in the strictest sense there are 8 million Israelis and 80 million Iranians. The humanitarian solution if those two states cannot coexist is to nuke Israel. Checkmate, MIGF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Purim is approaching, what with Persia being at the headlines once again and Ahmadinejad no longer being relevant which lucky Persian is going to get labelled as Haman reincarnate this time around?

• Locked thread