Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

I've got mixed feelings on the inverted castle. The game kind of falls apart when you reach it and you blow through it way too fast so the sense of progression is pretty bad compared to the first castle. It feels hastily thrown together and a bit empty as well. But, when you start seeing how the areas were designed to work both right-side up and upside-down it's pretty cool. The game really opens up at that point and you can go basically anywhere you want right from the beginning. Also, I already felt like the first castle was a decent length for a first playthrough, comparable to a first playthrough of Super Metroid, so it really felt like a big bonus to get another castle. Also, Lost Painting.

It's pretty easy to design an area when your character can fly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Waltzing Along posted:

Even if you are 500 miles away?

yes

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think it's really true that the castle was designed to work well both ways. There's so many spots where you have to repeatedly switch into bat mode for like two seconds, because the upside-down layouts aren't designed around your jump height the way the rightside-up layouts are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

All right. Gonna go try this poo poo.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Haruharuharuko posted:

Take your phone to a local Target or Wal-Mart they will price match as long as they can make sure it's a legit offer (hence why to take your phone).

My local Target said they only price matched a select number of competitors (list is on their website) and neither Fredy Meyer nor Frys is on that list. I did however manage to get Walmart to price match Best Buy's Theatrerhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call. Dude just looked at me with dead eyes and asked how much Best Buy was selling it for. He never even checked the ad I had on my phone.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Red Robin Hood posted:

I'll send you the used one I just bought for $25 shipped... PM if interested.

You got me. Check yo PM's!

TheHouseofM
Feb 13, 2012

Thanks! Called my brother a few states over and had him grab them for me!

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

My local Target said they only price matched a select number of competitors (list is on their website) and neither Fredy Meyer nor Frys is on that list. I did however manage to get Walmart to price match Best Buy's Theatrerhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call. Dude just looked at me with dead eyes and asked how much Best Buy was selling it for. He never even checked the ad I had on my phone.

That's the way to do it. Hell I work at a walmart while I'm finishing my masters and man even though I know we shouldn't do this hell I'll always let someone price match if it's for a good game.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I feel like the people at my local Walmart would let me get a game for 5 cents if I said Kmart had it for that much.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Total waste of time.

Target: our system only allows us to price match these stores. We can't even look up other prices online. gently caress you Targer.
WalMart: Oh yeah...only if they are local. What? You want Mario Golf? It's $10 at Frys. Oh, but Frys is sold out so gently caress you don't spend your $$$ with us.

Ok, I won't.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Total waste of time.

Target: our system only allows us to price match these stores. We can't even look up other prices online. gently caress you Targer.
WalMart: Oh yeah...only if they are local. What? You want Mario Golf? It's $10 at Frys. Oh, but Frys is sold out so gently caress you don't spend your $$$ with us.

Ok, I won't.

Wow that's not cool sorry for that.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Probably would've been able to do it if people hadn't gotten PS4's for 50 bucks through fake Amazon sellers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Zaa Boogie posted:

Probably would've been able to do it if people hadn't gotten PS4's for 50 bucks through fake Amazon sellers.

Yeah it's my understanding a lot of stores tightened up their policies pretty quickly after this and you can't really blame them. It still blows my mind that people actually got away with that

edit: like if I were inclined to scam like that I feel like I'd at the very least shoot for something around the $200 range as to not make it seem totally obvious, but people were literally, seriously, walking out of Wal-Marts with brand new PS4s for fifty loving dollars

goferchan fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 2, 2015

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

It's like when 4chan made that coupon generator a few years back. That was a bad time to be in retail.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Could the manager gotten in any trouble for doing the price match? Or was it just a case of "I don't actually want to help the customer."

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Could the manager gotten in any trouble for doing the price match? Or was it just a case of "I don't actually want to help the customer."

No price matching is not something you get in trouble for unless its found out to not be real and as its a real price its just whoever you talked to being a dick. Like the current ZMS in our electronics section won't price match for anything so I give items to the customer and tell them to check out up front problem solved.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Haruharuharuko posted:

No price matching is not something you get in trouble for unless its found out to not be real and as its a real price its just whoever you talked to being a dick. Like the current ZMS in our electronics section won't price match for anything so I give items to the customer and tell them to check out up front problem solved.

So I can price match at the register? Or will they call for a manager?

I'm thinking of going back after the shift change. $10 for golf is appealing. Also I'm indignant.

Also, do they let you carry video games through the store?

E: what time is shift change? 10? 12? 1?

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 2, 2015

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah after the whole Amazon third party thing Walmart has really tightened up. Don't really blame them though. It took like 20 minutes to get a manager to decide if they would price match the Wii Nunchuck down to $4 from Sears. Took that time to talk to the cashier who said she needed a manager override to price match like $4 lipstick now.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

So I can price match at the register? Or will they call for a manager?

I'm thinking of going back after the shift change. $10 for golf is appealing. Also I'm indignant.

Also, do they let you carry video games through the store?

E: what time is shift change? 10? 12? 1?

Generally shift change is 10 pm when the 3rd shift meeting starts. You can price match at the register if its less than $20 (if its normally $29.96 like mario golf is at our store tell the cashier its $9.99 wont require an override.) They will let you carry a game through the store just tell them to throw it in a magnetic locking case their under the register. Also 3rd shift don't give a gently caress so you should be good at worst ask to speak to the CSM on duty explain the situation as nicely as possible and you'll be golden. Like really I can't express this enough if your nice almost no matter what you ask for they'll do it just because your treating them like a human being you have no idea how rare that is.

Edit: Oh and if you want a laugh be at a Walmart at 10 pm just to witness the loving cheer they make employees do at the meeting loving goddamnit that poo poo is so dumb.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Mar 2, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Haruharuharuko posted:

Generally shift change is 10 pm when the 3rd shift meeting starts. You can price match at the register if its less than $20 (if its normally $29.96 like mario golf is at our store tell the cashier its $9.99 wont require an override.) They will let you carry a game through the store just tell them to throw it in a magnetic locking case their under the register. Also 3rd shift don't give a gently caress so you should be good at worst ask to speak to the CSM on duty explain the situation as nicely as possible and you'll be golden. Like really I can't express this enough if your nice almost no matter what you ask for they'll do it just because your treating them like a human being you have no idea how rare that is.

Ok. I'll head back in a bit. Just hope that same manager isn't there. And that I can find that stupid golf game. It was the only one left.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Ok. I'll head back in a bit. Just hope that same manager isn't there. And that I can find that stupid golf game. It was the only one left.

Good luck! :)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

BigRed0427 posted:

I'm in the process of doing the system transfer to my new 3DS. I'm up to getting the SD cards out and transfering over my DSi stuff. Just found out my PCs built in SD card reader is not working and I have no other devices to do it.

Can I just come back to this part later or am I hosed until it's done?

you can have it transfer your files over wifi to the new one, it is just crazy slow

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Looks like there might be another run of Ocarina of Time 3D coming. There's a few signs out in Aussie stores promising fresh stock's coming soon.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Haruharuharuko posted:

Edit: Oh and if you want a laugh be at a Walmart at 10 pm just to witness the loving cheer they make employees do at the meeting loving goddamnit that poo poo is so dumb.

I remember that. One of my first jobs was overnight stock at Walmart. I lasted like two weeks. That was like 10+ years ago; I'm amazed they still do that. I was dumbfounded the first time.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Both Fred Meyers near me were completely sold out of Smash and both Pokemon games (one had a copy of Omega Ruby left but I really wanted Smash). Guess I'll try Wal-Mart tomorrow and see if they'll price-match. If not- I don't really need to be spending the money anyway.

Wish I would have known earlier. Apparently both stores sold out within minutes of opening today.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
A friend of mine was awesome enough to buy me a New 3DS XL a few days ago, but I didn't set it up until just now because I had been waiting for a microSD card in the mail. The system transfer was pretty painless and the console itself is pretty slick. In case anyone is wondering (because I was), the red New 3DS XL looks a lot better in person. :)

Now that I have this thing, should I try Monster Hunter 4? I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but a co-worker keeps pestering me to buy 4 so I can play with him. What should I expect?

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Glenn posted:

A friend of mine was awesome enough to buy me a New 3DS XL a few days ago, but I didn't set it up until just now because I had been waiting for a microSD card in the mail. The system transfer was pretty painless and the console itself is pretty slick. In case anyone is wondering (because I was), the red New 3DS XL looks a lot better in person. :)

Now that I have this thing, should I try Monster Hunter 4? I've never played a Monster Hunter game, but a co-worker keeps pestering me to buy 4 so I can play with him. What should I expect?

It depends on your taste. Monster Hunter is well made and exciting. The full version, unlike the demo, eases you into the big fights. It may take a couple hours to master the controls and find your best weapon match. After that, however, you're in for some amazing brawls. Single player and multiplayer are very rewarding.

If this is your first 3DS, make sure you check out Super Mario 3D Land. My other favorites are Mario Kart 7, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and StarFox 64 3D. Mario Golf looks excellent, but I haven't yet bought it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Glenn posted:

We have a Monhun Megathread, but in short: expect what is essentially a boss rush with MMO-style grinding play-pattern. You smash monsters to turn their corpses into better armor and weapons so that you can smash future monsters more effectively. The monster-smashing itself is extremely fun and intense and technical, so it's not just a Diablo-type bigger-numbers skinner box, either.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
It's also worth noting that MH4U is the only game out there so far with improved graphics on the New 3DS (Majora's Mask just adds camera control options with the nub, right?) and it looks really, really good. 4U is the first Monster Hunter game I've really gotten into and I'm having a lot of fun, it gets very challenging but also feels extremely rewarding. fair warning, eventually, at some point in the game there will be a "grind" where you're hoping a monster will drop the part you need to craft the new piece of armor or weapon you've been lusting after, and you might have to kill it a few times for it to do so, but the way the game's designed, that's part of the fun -- it's a cool feeling when you barely scrape by through a fight with a monster that's necessary to progress the story, and then you realize that if you go back and kill it a few more times you can craft some sick new weapon, and then by your third or fourth time fighting it you're dancing around it without taking a hit when it was previously kicking your rear end. If you've already got a co-op partner lined up, that's even better

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like there might be another run of Ocarina of Time 3D coming. There's a few signs out in Aussie stores promising fresh stock's coming soon.

My catalogue account (UK Goon) is offering me it with a promised delivery date of March 9th, I've ordered but won't hold my breath.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Haruharuharuko posted:

What's the policy on open stuff at Wal-mart? Found something I kind of want there that is an open box and has clearly been returned. Like how low can we go?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Anora posted:

What's the policy on open stuff at Wal-mart? Found something I kind of want there that is an open box and has clearly been returned. Like how low can we go?

Employees can without a managers assistance can mark down item up to $19.99 off marked normally most employees wont go more than $10 off unless theres an ad. As for opened merchandise say "Hey I found this open it's the only one you have I'm a little hesitant about buying opened could you do 10%/$10 off?"

Edit: And again be as nice as possible a little human kindness goes a long way with the Walmart crowd.

Haruharuharuko fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Mar 2, 2015

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
My US new 3DS arrived on Friday from Play-Asia. I'm in UK and got no customs charge! My old 3DS is american so I needed this to keep all my old games from when I lived in US. Massive upgrade from the first run 3DS, love it.

On final fantasy curtain call, do people generally use the stylus or the buttons to play?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

SoulChicken posted:

On final fantasy curtain call, do people generally use the stylus or the buttons to play?

I think it depends on the person. You can even use a combination it calls "hybrid" to use both at the same time. I just use the stylus.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

SoulChicken posted:

I use the stylus. Tried buttons, but confused myself when having to use one hand for beats and one for swipes. And swipes at the end of phrase markers in field stages were nearly impossible to hit properly, especially when the swipe was upwards or downwards and it had been going in the opposite direction right before.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The stylus controls didn't feel good to me so I use buttons. Just use whatever works for you, you can do everything just fine with both styles.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

I think it depends on the person. You can even use a combination it calls "hybrid" to use both at the same time. I just use the stylus.

Most people that live comfortably in the Ultimate difficulty use the stylus to do so, but any of the methods work well for Basic and Expert.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does updating StreetPass Mii Plaza from within itself also update the system firmware, or does it require a system update? I'm keeping my N3DS on 9.0 for ~custom themez~

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Heran Bago posted:

Does updating StreetPass Mii Plaza from within itself also update the system firmware, or does it require a system update? I'm keeping my N3DS on 9.0 for ~custom themez~

IRC there hasn't been a streetpass update since firmware 8.x

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Glenn posted:

Did you give him $5