Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I for one look forward to the continued adventures of Legendary Heropon in the making Tatsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Heropon de floor

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
:siren:Another video presentation coming next Friday, 22:00 Japan time:siren:

This time they're talking about the combat system.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Doc V posted:

:siren:Another video presentation coming next Friday, 22:00 Japan time:siren:

This time they're talking about the combat system.

Hope this extends a bit into the classes and confirms that Gunban is a party member and not just a follower.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I don't get why these streams are JP-only. Maybe we'll get one that goes over all of this stuff a few weeks before the English release?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Motto posted:

I don't get why these streams are JP-only. Maybe we'll get one that goes over all of this stuff a few weeks before the English release?

Yeah, I think a big Nintendo Direct that covers what all the japanese streams did will come out a month or less before the English release since they'll be somewhat far away.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah, I think a big Nintendo Direct that covers what all the japanese streams did will come out a month or less before the English release since they'll be somewhat far away.

I'm fine with an american direct remix missing all the corn or treehouse updated corn thats over an hour of footage.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXifz5HaNw
Gonna see how combat rocks

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

http://xenobladex.jp/ A slew of stuff got updated. Nopons talking the poo poo. More story. and a page linking to the friday thing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It's about to happen in 3 hours.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Whew, just barely got this done before the stream:

24 Hour Happy People

A Xenoblade Chronicles X short story by Kazuho Hyoudou

PART.1 - "Do people really eat to live, or do they live to eat?"

"Do people really eat to live, or do they live to eat?"
"That's very philosophical of you, oh great teacher Lynlee Coo"
"It's not a hard question. I'm worried about lunch tomorrow"
I retorted, trying on purpose to sound prickly, and heard a chuckle from Elma's throat. On her brown face, pale blue eyes narrowed with a smile. It brought to mind a scene from an old fantasy movie I'd seen at the library.
Ah, she really is wonderful...
Faced with her mysterious smile, my heart filled with happiness.
It was obvious she was teasing me with the "great teacher" and all, so I tried to get back at her by getting snippy and-
I give up. I didn't care about that any more, Elma was wonderful.
I'm not religious, but when people are near something holy and get the feeling they can't lie, I'm sure it feels exactly like this.
It's weird; just thinking about it made even this grease-reeking corner of the maintenance dock feel clean and refreshing.
"If this is about our food supplies being in critical condition, I don't want to hear it"
"That's- we've got enough stale lettuce and bland porridge to last all eternity. But isn't there more to eating than that? It's vital to conserve food aboard a space ship, but being able to look forward to your meals has to be just as important"
"Seems you were really unsatisfied with the menu this morning"
"Ughh, that rice bran bread, if I could just- this isn't about that! What are you making me say!? The point I'm trying to make here is that, especially in the army, a repetitive menu has a huge impact on troop morale!"

It would soon be two years since the interstellar colony vessel "White Whale" left Earth.
With no clear destination, their journey through space demanded somewhat ascetic lifestyles, proportionate to the shard of metropolis formed within the colony ship's hull. Even so, going to the city section would put some amount of variety on your menu, and the situation was far from stressful as long as you didn't pretend to be a gourmet. The food production system had been completed and food synthesizing technology had advanced considerably in the last two years, so even if my remark about lettuce and porridge was a bit exaggerated, it didn't seem like the food situation on the colony ship would require any drastic regulations for the next few generations.
But...
I'm sure it's because the person in charge of the provisional meals was the type who had been fine with just eating fries every day back on Earth, but in the army, the meals had no diversity to speak of.

Every morning was a repeat of cereal and bread and lunch was the exact same, only with the addition of either Chinese tea or dandelion coffee, whichever you preferred. Thrice a week, deep-fried meat of unknown origin showed up at supper.
Even old army rations must've placed a higher importance on pleasure.
"Elma, what if you really felt like eating ice cream late at night?"
"I've never felt anything like that"
"Then imagine it!"
"Let's see... Having a personal stash is forbidden in the army, but nevertheless heading into the city is out of the question. Anyway, it's not recommended to eat outside regulated hours"
"That's right. You've got no choice but to endure it"
"Yes"
"What if an attack comes right then?"
"What about it?"
"The thought of ice cream is going to keep popping in your head while you're moving out, right?"
"No. I'll be focusing on my duties"
"But you really wanted to eat it. Won't you regret it?"
"I don't think so, although... Yes, that's right, if I push my imagination to the limit, I can see how I could use that as a source of motivation to devote myself to my duties. Because I'd be able to eat ice cream the next time I get a day off"
"Auughhh..."
drat it, I made a mistake. I made a massive mistake.
I wanted her to understand how much military performance could be affected by unsatisfying food, but to Elma, who was so thoroughly stoic it must have been built into her at a genetic level, the ice cream parable seemed to have been utterly unrealistic.
But I won't give up.
"But even on your next day off you won't get permission to go out, that feeling of despair is what the state of provisions in the army is like right now!"
"I see. I understand what you're trying to say"
Expressionless, Elma nodded. I already knew it was a sign of her silent agreement rather than apathy, so a sigh of relief escaped my lips.
"I knew I could count on you to understand"
Well, it took a bit more work than I expected...
"You plan to break the repetition"
"Yes. Even if it's just once a week- no, once a month, I want to get a chance to cook for everyone! I'm gonna show that I can make something that makes people happy!"
"...And you want me to clear that with the person in charge of the provisional meals?"
"That's because... If I asked them, they'd just call me a selfish kid and turn me down"
I remembered the faces of the men running the mess hall who'd repeat "We ain't got milk for kids, it's valuable" like broken records whenever I went there, and turned away from Elma. I didn't want her to see my face twist in anger.
"Understood. Frankly, your request doesn't seem to have any negative consequences, so I'll ask"
Holding a high rank in the army and this colony ship, Elma rarely showed emotion in normal conversation. Having just turned thirteen, even my meager amount of social experience was enough for me to understand that that was part of being an adult. But lately, I'd started thinking it might just be her personality after all. Elma was a person who was tacit by nature - and the person who, in the end, gave me a smile just this once when I asked her to help, that was Elma as well. It wasn't that she was holding back her emotions because she was an adult; on the contrary, she was an awkward person who didn't know how to properly express them.
"Elma, thank you so much!"
"What are you thinking of putting on the menu? It'll be hard to get the current manager to co-operate and even getting ingredients won't be easy"
"I know, I've thought it all through!"
I puffed up with with pride and enjoyed the surprised look on Elma's face.
"I've actually got some connections. Powerful connections, who can get me ice cream if I feel like it in the middle of the night..."

The military facilities and the urban section were not that far apart. The insides of the colony ship, so massive it could've swallowed a large city whole, were split into sections that were arranged according to the tasks they carried out, and the pathways between them were well maintained.
But once you entered the urban section, it was a whole different story.
The landscape here was the polar opposite of functional.
There were obviously no skyscrapers, but even then, the rows of buildings, holding the daily lives of a myriad of humans within them, looked almost like a dense forest. Innumerable roads ran between them as if stitching them together, used to accommodate cars bought by enthusiasts for exorbitant amounts of money. There was talk of stray cats in the messy back alleys - though that may have just been an urban legend - and there were trees in the park, there were even places where holographic projections were used to mimic Earth's sky, changing to reflect the passage of time.
It was a place where you could almost forget you were inside a vessel sailing through deep space - and of course, the "city" was designed with that exact goal in mind, built upon a deliberate illusion. It was nostalgic, and to the newly nomadic humans it was consolation given physical form. It was a facility.
It might just have been an façade, but if people could live as they had lived before, perhaps they would dwell less on the past, and perhaps they could distract themselves from the loneliness of wandering through the void of space.

I left the main road, retraced my steps when I noticed I had been unconsciously heading towards the junk shop, and entered an alleyway. Speaking of the junk shop, I remembered hearing that a really good deal had come in and hesitated quite a bit, but today I didn't come here as a mechanic, I came here as a cook who wants to pitch in and help everyone. Uplifted by my modest sense of duty, I made my way towards my original goal.
The alley, cluttered as if someone had spilled the contents of a warehouse all over it, was brimming with cheerful energy.
Most people called it Fisherman's Alley, and many stalls were lined up there.
You could buy food and ingredients that you would never see in the ship-management-endorsed supermarkets at the so-called market, and it was always filled with quite a bustle. Despite the name, there was obviously no fish for sale, and most of the foods on exhibit were synthetic compounds that each stall's owner had obtained through their own personal channels. There were also home-grown vegetables and self-raised crustaceans, but they were expensive and generally nothing more than display goods for attracting customers.
There were also wannabe chemists who dealt in foodstuffs they had synthesized with their own techniques. It was strictly speaking illegal, but the authorities were willing to overlook it as part of the bustle of the city's social life, a stance for which all of the colony ship's inhabitants were silently thankful.
I slipped through the crowd, exchanging greetings with familiar shopkeepers, and a gloomy storefront came to view.

The store I was heading for was located within the even twistier depths of the alley. It was run by a man who used to be a famous university professor back on Earth, so it wasn't hard to guess that he sold various types of meat he had synthesized himself. They were guaranteed to be safe and tasted good, so I had decided to use them for the food I'd cook on my special day.
I arrived in front of the store and, gripping the doorknob I knew very well from coming here countless times, opened the door. Expecting a cheerful voice going "Oh hey, it's you again", I was prepared to return the greeting with a smile.
But the voice never came. Instead, the inside of the store was dark and the glass cases were empty. The various foodstuffs, so gleaming with freshness you'd never believe they were synthesized, were gone without a trace.
"...Welcome"
Inside the shop I had presumed empty, I heard a voice so faint I wasn't sure I hadn't imagined it. I flinched with surprise, but it wasn't enough to make me yelp. With maximum vigilance, I stared at the back of the shop.
"Umm..."
"Sorry, but we aren't open. As you can see, we've go nothing to sell, and the management has changed, too"
A man was sitting wedged between two glass cases, as if he'd gotten himself stuck. He looked a little younger than Jean, the shop owner I knew, but with his skinny body and the wrinkled clothes wrapped around it, he gave off the air of a grieving old man weighed down by his years.
"What happened to Jean?"
"Who knows... I don't know. I don't know anything. All I know is absolutely nothing"
He must've been responding to me, but the way he spoke seemed more like he was muttering to himself. It was extremely rude - but also really creepy.
"Well..."
"Tony"
"Huh?"
"Tony Neues. It's my name"
"Oh... I'm Lynlee Coo"
"Lynlee... Coo..."
"Anyway, Tony. I can't buy meat here any more?"
"Yeah. I don't have synthesis skills like Jean. Yeah... I don't. I've got nothing at all..."
"I see... Ah, no! When I said 'I see', I didn't mean you, I meant the thing about not being able to buy meat-"
"It's okay. Thank you..."
He probably thanked me because I was kind and worried about his feelings, but his voice was so flat that it just sounded really creepy.
drat it, this conversation is going nowhere.
I wanted ask about Jean's whereabouts, but for some reason the words got caught in my throat.

Sighing inaudibly, I started to leave with a "Well, then".
However, when I turned around, several men had appeared out of nowhere and were standing in the doorway. A gaudy t-shirt, a worn suit, a skin-tight tank top... Those were the uniforms of the so-called thugs of the city.
"We were lookin' for ya, Tony"
The man in the worn suit raised his voice, looking past me as if I wasn't there.
"Why would you be... looking for me... Some of the people you hang out with must've heard the story"
"Sure, but the rights to this shop weren't that easy to get. What a shame"
The man in the worn suit laughed. With no clue about what was happening, I looked back at Tony and saw him standing up, bracing himself on the glass cases for support. He looked awfully flustered.
"Lyn- Get out!"
How rude!
But I forgot my criticism when I heard a chilling sound from behind me. An outdated yet terrifying metallic click. The muzzle of a gun, illegally manufactured in a city overrun by nostalgia... that is what I saw over my shoulder.
Tony roared like a beast and I sensed him charging towards me.
Turning back towards him, I instinctively started running.
The next moment, the sound of a gunshot filled the shop.

To be continued...

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Also yeah, the stream is starting in around 20 minutes, seems like it'll be 29 minutes long:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcXifz5HaNw

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I don't remember hearing this goofy rap-rock song in any of the other trailers.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Monster design looks rad.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012
I can't wait to get to hosed over by a monster throwing a large rock.

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
I can't wait to get access to headgear that completely covers the wearer's face and put it on as many people as I can.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, there sure seem to be a lot of party members, and they all seem to have their own plots, if I understand the video correctly? This game seems to get bigger with every video they release, I swear.

I'm slightly disappointed with the weapon variety though. It's kinda weird too, since Gunban seems to use sniper rifles, but they're not an option for the created character?

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
drat, that is a lot more party members than I was expecting.

Where is playable Tatsu though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

No American release date yet? :/

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
My notes from the new video:

-Tatsu follows you around so that he can gather information from the locals for you, but he doesn't actually participate in combat
-As we've seen before, you can switch between melee and ranged attacks

Arts:
-Four types of arts: melee arts, ranged arts, support arts and weakening arts
-Melee and ranged arts do what you'd expect
-Support arts heal allies and apply buffs
-Weakening arts stun and debuff enemies
-Like in the previous game, arts have cooldowns

Some of the art descriptions shown in the video:
-Battle Cry: draws aggro, can be cast repeatedly if overcharged
-Rising Blade: extra 25% damage if your target is targeting you, overcharging increases damage
-Power Drive: gives you "palette charge" and allows you to dodge all attacks while active. Overcharging increases the effect and duration.
-Burst Grenade: costs 1000 TP to use; deals heat damage, inflicts burn and deals triple damage to toppled enemies. Deals extra damage if overcharged.
-Razing Blast: double damage during a combo, overcharging makes it generate tension on hit
-Aggressive mode: costs 1000 TP, increases accuracy, attack and sustained damage. Overcharging increases aura level and duration
-Protection mode: costs 1000 TP, reduces close range attack and sustained damage, gives regeneration, overcharging increases aura level and duration
-Blade Cyclone: generates 50 TP if you have an aura, overcharging increases damage

Soul Voice:
-Your party members will tell you to use certain arts in battle; if you do, you activate soul voice
-Soul voice restores HP and has other effects like increasing damage
-Sometimes you'll get a prompt to press B - this allows you to initiate soul voice yourself
-There are 16 conditions that can trigger the B prompt, like first art of the battle, low HP, aura activation or enemy knocked down.
-For each condition, you can pick one of 3 different lines, which all tell your allies to do different things and give you different buffs

Battle strategies:
-Certain arts can be combo'd: they will do extra damage if you use them right after using certain other arts
-Break and topple work like in the previous game
-Attacking enemies from behind or from high ground increases accuracy and crit rate
-Certain arts like Slit Edge have extra effects depending on your position
-You can destroy enemy body parts to inflict debuffs and get extra loot
-Arts can be overcharged ("Double recast") by not using them after they've finished cooling down
-Autoattacking increases tension (TP, green gauge next to your HP)
-You can spend TP to revive fallen allies
-Overclock Gear: not available at the start of the game, massively shortens art cooldowns when activated
-Use arts with the same color in succession to increse the number on the Overclock Gear, which increases the damage you deal
-While the Overclock Gear is active, arts can be overcharged even further ("Triple recast"), which makes them even more powerful
-Enemies with eye icon aggro on sight
-Enemies with lighting icon aggro if they hear you
-Enemies with a circle around the eye/lightning will join the battle if you attack other nearby enemies

Equipment:
-Melee and ranged weapons can be equipped separately
-Melee weapons: knife, sword, shield, javelin
-Ranged weapons: rifle, "gun" (more like a cannon), launcher
-Armor types: head, torso, left arm, right arm, legs
-The Arms Company is a group of companies in charge of weapons development
-Different companies deal in different equipment
-When you wear a company's equipment, you're giving them free advertisement, which allows them to generate the funds to develop new products
-New arms companies run by aliens selling alien equipment open up as you progress through the story
-You can insert devices (basically gems from the first game) into slots in your equipment

Characters:
-Your character has an "inner level" and a "rank"
-As your inner level rises, you can equip better equipment
-You can earn experience through combat, looting treasure boxes, finding new areas etc.
-Your rank is your class level. You get new arts as your rank goes up and once you hit rank 10 in a class you get access to more specialized classes (capstone classes instead give you permanent bonuses at rank 10)
-Irina, Guin, Doug, Lao and Ru are all playable
-New playable characters: Madres, Fry, Celica
-More playable characters become available as you complete various quests

Next time: Dolls

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, there sure seem to be a lot of party members, and they all seem to have their own plots, if I understand the video correctly? This game seems to get bigger with every video they release, I swear.

I'm slightly disappointed with the weapon variety though. It's kinda weird too, since Gunban seems to use sniper rifles, but they're not an option for the created character?

I'm pretty sure that even if you can't use sniper rifles yourself as a Drifter (the starting class), one of the later classes you can use unlocks the ability to use them yourself.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Man, I was really worried about Tatsu not being playable... how will we ever get by?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
So apparently Nopon legend mentions a Hom Hom race? Hm

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I'm really excited for this game but I am so mad at the character designs. They look like creepy-rear end wooden anime dolls. Hoping that I can either bench the worst offenders relatively quickly or slap helmets on them forever and never have to look at them again.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Alxprit posted:

Man, I was really worried about Tatsu not being playable... how will we ever get by?

Please tell me there's at least one nopon who is playable? I'm at work, can't watch the video yet.

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

Suaimhneas posted:

Please tell me there's at least one nopon who is playable? I'm at work, can't watch the video yet.

No, I doubt Nopons are playable because they can't participate in Doll combat or probably areas where you can only traverse in a Doll.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
In Xenogears, they solved that by giving the mascot character the ability to balloon up to mech-size.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Just stuff him in the trunk.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Just put him in a giant Hamster Ball.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

planetarial posted:

No, I doubt Nopons are playable because they can't participate in Doll combat or probably areas where you can only traverse in a Doll.

Heropon... No, PILOTpon now!

Seriously, give us a loving Nopon.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

planetarial posted:

If Nopons aren't playable I'm cancelling my preorder :colbert:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The party member stuff is pretty interesting. I'm guessing MC/Lyn/Elma/Tatsu are the ones who are always around in cutscenes and stuff, and then there are secondary party members who matter in the plot but aren't always around/cutscene relevant, and then optional minor members you get through guilds/quests who have their own sidestories, but are just warm bodies if they appear in main story scenes.

edit: Really pumped that Doll-stuff is evidently expansive enough to get its own stream. Have they said how many streams there will be in total? I'm expecting at least a fourth on online play.

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 7, 2015

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Motto posted:

The party member stuff is pretty interesting. I'm guessing MC/Lyn/Elma/Tatsu are the ones who are always around in cutscenes and stuff, and then there are secondary party members who matter in the plot but aren't always around/cutscene relevant, and then optional minor members you get through guilds/quests who have their own sidestories, but are just warm bodies if they appear in main story scenes.

Was thinking that since they went out of their way to tell us what Unions the characters belong to. That some of them might be tied to what Union you're currently in. So if you join the Interceptors you get to hang out more with Guin.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I was expecting Dolls to be covered in this video. All I know so far is from the exploration video and Treehouses and stuff, which is "Dolls move faster and some can transform," and "when in a fight, Dolls have bigger stats, but aren't precise enough to target specific body parts." Now, if that means you can't pick a body part to break but it may still get broken from random damage or if you cannot contribute to part breaking is a thing I don't know. What I don't know is how you get them and if/how you customize them, but I had no idea there would even begin to be enough for an entire video on their own.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

thanks alot assbag posted:

I'm really excited for this game but I am so mad at the character designs. They look like creepy-rear end wooden anime dolls. Hoping that I can either bench the worst offenders relatively quickly or slap helmets on them forever and never have to look at them again.

Apparently you can change all of the characters' hairstyles, since I saw an image of the creepy monado hairclip girl with a different, much better hairdo that does not frame her enormous creepy eyes.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Calaveron posted:

Apparently you can change all of the characters' hairstyles, since I saw an image of the creepy monado hairclip girl with a different, much better hairdo that does not frame her enormous creepy eyes.

It's a bit surprising what a small change like that can do to a face. All hail the Ritsu-cut.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Calaveron posted:

Huh, well that's definitely somewhat of a relief. I guess I shouldn't doubt the people who made Xenoblade to make lovely design decisions.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

The good news is they have those mask armors you can buy and make everyone in your party look like the wonderful 100.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Huh, well that's definitely somewhat of a relief. I guess I shouldn't doubt the people who made Xenoblade to make lovely design decisions.

Try playing Namco x Capcom someday. That'll solve that belief.

Or Xenosaga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Its almost as if they learned from past mistakes?! Crayzy.
Can I add beards to everyone to balance out the eye to hair ratio too?

• Locked thread